Thread: Richard Sherman out for season with ruptured Achilles

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Richard Sherman out for season with ruptured Achilles

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Richard Sherman out for season with ruptured Achilles

Richard Sherman
    Deshaun Watson
    Andrew Luck
    Aaron Rodgers
    Odell Beckham Jr.
    Brandon Marshall
    Zach Miller
    Jason Peters
    Joe Thomas
    Marshall Yanda
    JJ Watt
    Whitney Mercilus
    Eric Berry
    Dalvin Cook
    David Johnson
    Darren Sproles
    Ryan Tannehill
    Julian Edelman
    Allen Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Sherman has been dealing with an Achilles injury all season and it might have gone at any time even if all the games were played on Sunday. That Seattle defense has been legendary but like the 70s Steelers and the 2004-2010 Steelers defense it is starting to breakdown. I thought the Hawks might have another Super Bowl run in them but without Sherman I do not see this team winning a playoff game on the road.

Other Seahawks are speaking out against the Thursday night money grab.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

MONEY >>>> Player Safety.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    MONEY >>>> Player Safety.
    Always has.....always will.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Richard Sherman
    Deshaun Watson
    Andrew Luck
    Aaron Rodgers
    Odell Beckham Jr.
    Brandon Marshall
    Zach Miller
    Jason Peters
    Joe Thomas
    Marshall Yanda
    JJ Watt
    Whitney Mercilus
    Eric Berry
    Dalvin Cook
    David Johnson
    Darren Sproles
    Ryan Tannehill
    Julian Edelman
    Allen Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Of course the league does not give a damn about player safety, with the sketchy handling of Russell Wilson's blow to the head last night being the latest example.

Wilson jogs to the sideline, takes a sip of water, removes his helmet and walks into the mobile medical tent. Once the tent is closed over Wilson’s head, he seems to mouth the words “I’m fine,” then stands up and walks back onto the field. After that non-inspection, Wilson took a series of vicious hits, especially two notable plays where he was spilled onto a sideline following a run or scramble.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/10/ri...ay-night-games

But the league is starting to panic about the ongoing decline in ratings and dumping the Thursday night games to deal with the broadcasters claims oversaturation of product is part of the problem may be coming. That presumably will hit the salary cap, but if the players object the owners can say cannot have it both ways and a short term loss might forestall a greater hit to revenue down the road if the ratings slide is not addressed.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Like this?

The NFL and NFL Players Association have warned the Dolphins for "not strictly" following the league's concussion protocol with quarterback Matt Moore during their wild-card playoff loss to the Steelers earlier this month.

The Dolphins were not fined or penalized but were told both are possible if they have any future violations of the protocol.

Moore was hit high by Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree in the second quarter Jan. 8 and was temporarily knocked out of the game. He returned to the game after missing two plays and told reporters afterward that he "got smoked" but didn't sustain a concussion.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ing-matt-moore

Maybe the Seahawks will be put on double secret probation

Discipline...oh wow...maybe they’ll lose an OTA session...pffft.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Thursday night football is a joke. Player safety is a ruse to keep people calm. The NFL does not give two shits about safety when it comes to the cash grab. Its why I only watch Thursday night games when its the Steelers, and I may not even watch next week because they are trotting out some new camera angle that I can get on Madden. Dumb.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I usually feel bad for players hurt for the year. watson, Rodgers, but after seeing him push the team physician I couldn't help smiling when I heard the news.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't like Supermouth either, but that's bad karma.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Sherman knew the Achilles was going to rupture at some point and played until it did. He will never be the same. Seahawks will be drafting at least one CB next time.
    All Defense!

I'll never wish injury on a player, however I have always found Sherman to be a complete douche.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I'll never wish injury on a player, however I have always found Sherman to be a complete douche.
    AB if AB spoke out on any subject other than himself

HOF talent and commitment to maxing out ability with a narcissitic streak

AB if AB spoke out on any subject other than himself

HOF talent and commitment to maxing out ability with a narcissitic streak
    AB seems more soft spoken to me. That could be my own bias though.

AB seems more soft spoken to me. That could be my own bias though.

And this nugget from JuJu and Bell planning group TD celebrations

Brown appeared to have a corporate deal with the Destiny 2 video game for a specific, dancehall-type touchdown celebration. As a result, his touchdowns have been less collaborative.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...ion-revolution

I think we all have a bias for players on the team we root for, particularly when they did not come or go in free agency. I would have hated Hines Ward if he had played for the Pats or Ravens.

Okay we can't compare AB's one on the field outburst with some of the on field antics that Sherman has done. Not if we're being intellectually honest with each other.

Okay we can't compare AB's one on the field outburst with some of the on field antics that Sherman has done. Not if we're being intellectually honest with each other.
    Depends how you define intellectual honesty and "antics" I guess. Heath Miller had to tell AB to cut the crap for showing up Landry Jones on the field and there are threads on this site on AB getting penalized repeatedly for excessive celebrations last season.

In some ways I actually find Sherman more admirable for acting out on matters such as problems with Thursday night football rather than it consistently being only about him.

Antonio Brown is not perfect, but he is far from being a cancer in a team.

I mean, I do not agree when some compares Brown with Terrell Owens...Terrell Owens was traded or released by his team 3 times in his career when Owens was out of control and his agent(same agent that Antonio...) has a bad reputation because of him!

The Steelers have never been close to want to trade or release Brown.

The Steelers have never been close to want to trade or release Brown.
    Depends on how you define "close." Seahawks were not going to release Sherman or give him away even though they had issues with him going into this season

I do not think Tomlin was just blowing smoke with these comments after the Facebook streaming incident, which was the culmination of a lot of misbehavior.

“I will be bluntly honest here. It was foolish of him to do that. It was selfish of him to do that. It was inconsiderate of him to do that,” Tomlin told reporters Tuesday, saying Brown is likely to face punishment from the league in addition to the unspecified discipline he imposes.

“But larger than that, he has to grow from this. He has to,” Tomlin said. “He works extremely hard. He is extremely talented. Those things get minimized with incidences such as this. You wear on your teammates when they routinely have to answer questions about things that aren’t preparation or football-related.

“He is a great player. He is a hardworking player. He is respected, largely, in the locker room for those things. But incidences such as this, don’t help him in that regard,” Tomlin added. “That’s just the reality of it.”

Tomlin then raised some eyebrows by making a reference to Brown’s future with the Steelers, suggesting that his immaturity could jeopardize it.

“That’s why oftentimes you see great players move around from team to team,” Tomlin said. “And I definitely don’t want that to be his story.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iefs/96687912/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Richard Sherman is an amazing player and one of the smartest guys currently in the league, If he was a Steeler half the posters would have him as their avatar or signature pic.

He has been part of the best pass defense of his era in an era where passing has been emphasized more than ever. What that Seattle defense has accomplished has been truly amazing to watch as a football fan. Except when they play Pittsburgh!

Depends on how you define "close." Seahawks were not going to release Sherman or give him away even though they had issues with him going into this season

I do not think Tomlin was just blowing smoke with these comments after the Facebook streaming incident, which was the culmination of a lot of misbehavior.

“I will be bluntly honest here. It was foolish of him to do that. It was selfish of him to do that. It was inconsiderate of him to do that,” Tomlin told reporters Tuesday, saying Brown is likely to face punishment from the league in addition to the unspecified discipline he imposes.

“But larger than that, he has to grow from this. He has to,” Tomlin said. “He works extremely hard. He is extremely talented. Those things get minimized with incidences such as this. You wear on your teammates when they routinely have to answer questions about things that aren’t preparation or football-related.

“He is a great player. He is a hardworking player. He is respected, largely, in the locker room for those things. But incidences such as this, don’t help him in that regard,” Tomlin added. “That’s just the reality of it.”

Tomlin then raised some eyebrows by making a reference to Brown’s future with the Steelers, suggesting that his immaturity could jeopardize it.

“That’s why oftentimes you see great players move around from team to team,” Tomlin said. “And I definitely don’t want that to be his story.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iefs/96687912/
    A month later, they gave the biggest contract for a receiver in the nfl

I do not think the steelers would have done that, if Brown would be a big cancer in the team and they would not trust him.

Depends how you define intellectual honesty and "antics" I guess. Heath Miller had to tell AB to cut the crap for showing up Landry Jones on the field and there are threads on this site on AB getting penalized repeatedly for excessive celebrations last season.

In some ways I actually find Sherman more admirable for acting out on matters such as problems with Thursday night football rather than it consistently being only about him.
    All fair points.

A month later, they gave the biggest contract for a receiver in the nfl

I do not think the steelers would have done that, if Brown would be a big cancer in the team and they would not trust him.
    I agree (which is why Bryant will be gone after 2018 if he lasts that long).

But IMO Tomlin's comments after the Facebook mess were intended to send the message if you want that contract we need some indication that this sort of crap stops and its stops now. Some sort of representation was made it would stop, the contract was signed, and then after the Ravens game Ben goes on his radio show to say this crap needs to stop. Since business is still boomin' the Steelers will tolerate it just as the benefits of having Sherman have so far outweighed the costs of his antics.

Seahawks and the Steelers are among the league leaders in drama, with AB and Sherman being primary pot stirrers

I agree (which is why Bryant will be gone after 2018 if he lasts that long).

But IMO Tomlin's comments after the Facebook mess were intended to send the message if you want that contract we need some indication that this sort of crap stops and its stops now. Some sort of representation was made it would stop, the contract was signed, and then after the Ravens game Ben goes on his radio show to say this crap needs to stop. Since business is still boomin' the Steelers will tolerate it just as the benefits of having Sherman have so far outweighed the costs of his antics.

Seahawks and the Steelers are among the league leaders in drama, with AB and Sherman being primary pot stirrers
    Yes but at least Pete Carroll and Tomlin are very good to handle the drama and the adversity.

Yes but at least Pete Carroll and Tomlin are very good to handle the drama and the adversity.
    Agreed

I recall Mojouw has posted on that, with the observation that both Carroll and Tomlin have a coaching style that encourages self-expression and mutual respect between players and coaches. That has a lot of upside (4 Super Bowl appearances/2 Lombardis) but sometimes it causes problems when players push the envelope and act out.

Of course idiots like Colin Cowherd have another spin on it with some troublesome code words such as "emotional" and "like an NBA locker room" for what bothers them about the "culture" of those teams