Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

I liked watching the defense when Titans had the ball and I liked watching the receivers run routes. You really get a feel for who was open. That one out route to Bryant where Ben threw the ball and it was half way there before Bryant turned around is cool. You don’t see that on the other angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I liked watching the defense when Titans had the ball and I liked watching the receivers run routes. You really get a feel for who was open. That one out route to Bryant where Ben threw the ball and it was half way there before Bryant turned around is cool. You don’t see that on the other angles.
    agreed
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I thought the skycam was great.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Time for some innovation from the TV gurus. Why not some split screens? With HD TV and 4K TV, you can get more content on the screen. Might not be for everyone, but I would certainly be interested.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I thought the skycam was great.
    I got used to it and it is an option to mix up the standard viewing angle. Still prefer the sideline angle.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

My biggest complaint, it was hard to see how many yards we're gained. Especially on running plays.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Time for some innovation from the TV gurus. Why not some split screens? With HD TV and 4K TV, you can get more content on the screen. Might not be for everyone, but I would certainly be interested.
    I was just about to post this.

Didn't SNF on NBC have alternate camera angles? Perhaps, NFLN/Amazon/NBC/CBS should explore this but I'm sure they would probably charge a million dollars for a "premium" package.

By the way, my HD antenna reception was acting up so I was able to stream it through Amazon since they have the TNF games now.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    My biggest complaint, it was hard to see how many yards we're gained. Especially on running plays.
    Thats my beef with it also, would be nice if they could mix it up.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My brain kept thinking that it was only a highlight... and thus, I'd "miss" half of the plays. I'd see them, but it wasn't until after the play that I was like: "Oh... that was a nice pass."

(As opposed to my normal way of viewing: "He's open... yes, yes... nice pass, Ben!!!")

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It worked better than I thought, but I'm glad they didn't use it exclusively. A few places where I think the usual camera angle worked better:

- Sometimes it was hard to tell if the receiver actually caught the ball (black uniforms probably didn't help)

- Telling how many yards someone gained. Especially on short-yardage situations.

- When the offense is starting near its own goal line, they cannot back the camera up far enough.

Other than that it was ok, just took some getting used to. It certainly looked like Mariota was struggling with it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This pic is deceptive because more than a quarter on the right side of the traditional view is cropped off to try to make a point. It is cropped towards the middle for the skycam. However, their point is kind of valid beyond 15 yards. Too bad you can't see the receivers towards the sidelines as well with skycam.

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of got used to the skycam by the middle of the 3rd. 1st half it really made me a bit nauseous. It did show some great views at times, and I like the idea of splitting them up. Maybe traditional on your 1st and 2nd downs, and the skycam for 3rd and long? You wouldn't want the skycam for 3rd and short since it is harder to tell where the ball is in regards to the marker.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Didn't SNF on NBC have alternate camera angles? Perhaps, NFLN/Amazon/NBC/CBS should explore this but I'm sure they would probably charge a million dollars for a "premium" package.
    ESPN offered this for the college football championship (ESPN3/Watch ESPN is the streaming app). Once everything is delivered online rather than through satellite or cable you will get much more of this.

WatchESPN will have all these feeds streaming online, as well as the following other streams dedicated exclusively online:

-Two versions of the ESPN’s traditional telecast, with the radio calls of both Alabama and Clemson providing synced-up commentary on their respective networks. Ever wanted to listen to Eli fully synced to the TV? Now you can!

-Data Center, which will please the statistical person. This will have graphics with analytics, drive charts and more.

-Continuous Sky-Cam feed.

Command Center (ESPN Goal Line)

This is the ultimate hub for a fan. This will have a split-screen view that will cut between various camera feeds, including isolated camera feeds of both head coaches, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney. Statistics and drive charts also included.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...egacast-010817

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like the angle on obvious passing plays. Let's you see what the QB sees. But I don't care for it on running plays.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I like the angle on obvious passing plays. Let's you see what the QB sees. But I don't care for it on running plays.
    True, I like that you get a better feel for how small the windows are for throwing lanes inside, but you couldn't really see the outside WR at the snap of the ball. On the traps and pulls I like it in the run game, but I am somewhat of a degenerate that loves watching the line play.

Good analysis of SkyCam pros and cons in this article

The live Skycam is ideal for those who just want to analyze the game of football, while the classic sideline view is probably better for those who just want to see if Antonio Brown got enough yardage for the first down.

Since that second group is a hell of a lot larger than that first one, I think it’s safe to guess that the experiment wasn’t an overwhelming success.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The only part I didnt like was the view way up and almost over the top of the plays, I preferred the views behind the OL for the reason many others said. It was nice to see the plays develop, even the running plays. That said, it was difficult to see the 1st down line.

What the league could do is delay the game by 5-10s so they could determine which angle would be best to show for each play, that would smooth things out anyway. I imagine they already do that so they can omit any major gaffes that may accidentally happen.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It certainly looked like Mariota was struggling with it.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

The live Skycam is ideal for those who just want to analyze the game of football, while the classic sideline view is probably better for those who just want to see if Antonio Brown got enough yardage for the first down.

Since that second group is a hell of a lot larger than that first one, I think it’s safe to guess that the experiment wasn’t an overwhelming success.

I think this is where I'm at on the SkyCam. The behind the QB field level was great for seeing the development of the plays. Specifically between the hash marks. More interesting for seeing the holes and windows open, the line blocking, the tight battles that are difficult to see with the down the line cam because there are more players overlapping etc.

But, I would also agree with the LOS and LTG complaints... the depth perception behind the QB is tough. The horizontal lines get really close at that level of perspective. I think we all have been spoiled seeing that 1st down line since they added it, but I can remember a time you had to spot the sticks on the opposite sideline and/or do the math for yourself. It has really been one of the more useful developments, imo. They just need to figure out how the make the yard to gain line work better in this format.

Only other complaint would be they are trying to "fly" the cameras with the action too much. Moving, rotating and changing the focus and depth of field can get a little nauseating. Anywhoo... my .02

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Overhead cam on the running plays is best.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Easiest thing to do is to work with their broadcast partners to send out 2 feeds - "traditional" and "football nerd". Some sort of way that each viewer can choose - both have the same audio and the same replays (so it doesn't look like non-sense when the commentators start drawing crap on the screen).

It is 2017 for crying out loud - its not like the technology is beyond us...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I think this is where I'm at on the SkyCam. The behind the QB field level was great for seeing the development of the plays. Specifically between the hash marks. More interesting for seeing the holes and windows open, the line blocking, the tight battles that are difficult to see with the down the line cam because there are more players overlapping etc.

But, I would also agree with the LOS and LTG complaints... the depth perception behind the QB is tough. The horizontal lines get really close at that level of perspective. I think we all have been spoiled seeing that 1st down line since they added it, but I can remember a time you had to spot the sticks on the opposite sideline and/or do the math for yourself. It has really been one of the more useful developments, imo. They just need to figure out how the make the yard to gain line work better in this format.

Only other complaint would be they are trying to "fly" the cameras with the action too much. Moving, rotating and changing the focus and depth of field can get a little nauseating. Anywhoo... my .02
    That is about my feelings as well. I liked it to see blocking develop, stunts and shifts, as well as safety movement pre-snap. But my brain had a really hard time figuring out how many yards a play went for all night!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I like seeing the first down line. I like the overhead for replays of the run, but in real time I want to see how close he gets.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah. I lost a lot of perspective on running plays. I saw a few 6 and 7 yard runs as 3 yard runs. Kickoffs too. Maybe it was my eyes.

Still prefer the standard position better and using the skycam exclusively for select replays.

If it ever became the standard angle I think I'd be inclined to watch less football. Not the Steelers.....just other games without a strong rooting interest.

I hated it for the most part. Couldn't see the WRs line up or the way their routes were run, nor could I see defensive set up on the outside. Also couldn't what was happening away from the ball once the play was moving at times. Of course, that could be because they were too close I thought.

That all being said, I did like seeing how passing lanes and running lanes developed. Since the game was simulcast, I think it would work to have the NFL channel run the skycam angle and NBC running the normal angle. That way, a person can choose.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I hated it and guess it's cool if you want to analyze the game but I don't get paid to do so and just want to enjoy it. I have a solution just make games film with these cameras the game of the week on the NFL Network. It would be okay watching it the second time around and may be a reason to want to watch it again. Just don't fix what isn't broken and been working for decades. NFL this is not the reason your ratings are down!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    They used to do that online with Sunday Night Football...

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I didn’t like it for the run plays...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They used to do that online with Sunday Night Football...
    I thought they did. I remember seeing it and clicking on the other angles all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I thought they did. I remember seeing it and clicking on the other angles all the time.
    I’m not sure they still do it though...they used to promote the hell out of it.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Note to directors of football telecasts: jumping from one camera angle to another just to prove you can do it gets pretty annoying after a while.

Maybe it's me, but I felt like it took more effort to watch and enjoy the game.