Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    This will not end well - should do it in some dregs early afternoon regional game to get feedback and work out kinks - NFL seems to be trying to come up with new reasons to antagonize fans

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's a gimmick and could be used here and there, but as a primary angle I think it would give me a headache.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I can't stand it, but isn't that like the NFL nothing but gimmicks

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

NBC is doing it now for series on Cardinals-Seahawks. On long pass plays it is disorienting - lack of depth perception makes likelihood of completion difficult to see. As BlackAndGold posted above, the camera angle cuts out WRs and CBs at the time of the snap - WR coming into the picture from the right or left of the screen as the pass is thrown is another problem.

Mike Tirico casually lies by claiming that broadcast angle next week is by popular demand.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

This is nothing new. Just using it a little more and in different ways. Doesn't bother me.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I like that you can see plays develop and get a better idea what everyone is doing on the field, but on every down it just doesn't work as well. It's almost like just watching film of the game.

IMO, this format would be much better to run from behind the offense on replays only. That way you can really use it as a tool to see how plays are constructed, see what the QB is seeing, and also see the coverages and the reactions after the snap of the ball so you know exactly what to look for on each play.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't like it for running plays.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

This is another huge reason NFL ratings are down. Most fans want to watch football like it was in the past. Not fans of the fancy electronic toys the NFL keeps trying.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Are they forecasting fog for next Thursday's game????

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s cool if you want to breakdown the game. For TV viewing it is terrible. It’s nit television friendly when the angle is so low. If they possibly raised the angle so you could see more downfield (field in front of the play) it would be better but still not TV friendly for viewership.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Vince McMahon turns his head in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s cool if you want to breakdown the game. For TV viewing it is terrible. It’s nit television friendly when the angle is so low. If they possibly raised the angle so you could see more downfield (field in front of the play) it would be better but still not TV friendly for viewership.
    But 18 -34 age viewers grew up playing Madden with this perspective so this camera angle will bring them back!

NFL game viewership this season is down about 7 percent from the same point last season and 18 percent compared with the same point in the 2015 season. More concerning for network executives is the 11 percent across-the-board ratings drop in the 18- to 34-year-old demographic, the biggest drop of any demo.More concerning for network executives is the 11 percent across-the-board ratings drop in the 18- to 34-year-old demographic, the biggest drop of any demo.

Maybe try this instead to fix Thursday Night Football

Network executives never have warmed to the expansion of “Thursday Night Football” from eight NFL Network-only games to 18 over NFL Network, CBS and NBC. Media executives and some sponsors informally have lobbied the NFL to move back to an eight-game, NFL Network-only package that would return 10 games to the Sunday afternoon packages.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...-are-down.html

This stunt is like trying to end a drought by doing a rain dance

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

The "hoped for" increase in viewership by the 18 to 34 year old demographic will be offset by the decline in viewership by the over 34 year old demographic.

I guess desperate times for the NFL definitely does lead to desperate measures.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of it. You can't see enough of the field. It's the NFL trying to cater to the Madden fans. I play Madden but I change my default view to be more zoomed out.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ah. I see someone who thinks Madden and live football are the same thing finally got old enough to become a TV producer.

This should appeal to all his fellow Madden fans and fantasy junkies in his own up-and-coming band of superheroes, the Immobile Couch-Mounted Bong Force.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What I don't like is that you can't see the first down line.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

NBC to use "Skycam angle" For Steelers/Titans

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But 18 -34 age viewers grew up playing Madden with this perspective so this camera angle will bring them back!

NFL game viewership this season is down about 7 percent from the same point last season and 18 percent compared with the same point in the 2015 season. More concerning for network executives is the 11 percent across-the-board ratings drop in the 18- to 34-year-old demographic, the biggest drop of any demo.More concerning for network executives is the 11 percent across-the-board ratings drop in the 18- to 34-year-old demographic, the biggest drop of any demo.

Maybe try this instead to fix Thursday Night Football

Network executives never have warmed to the expansion of “Thursday Night Football” from eight NFL Network-only games to 18 over NFL Network, CBS and NBC. Media executives and some sponsors informally have lobbied the NFL to move back to an eight-game, NFL Network-only package that would return 10 games to the Sunday afternoon packages.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...-are-down.html

This stunt is like trying to end a drought by doing a rain dance
    I grew up playing Madden and that’s not the angle. The angle is higher where you can see more of the field and the defense. The angle they are showing in clips and during Fog Bowl 2 are much lower. Unless they lowered it as of recent releases.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What I don't like is that you can't see the first down line.
    Another good point

There is a reason the most expensive football tickets are between the 30s rather than the end zone in football while the best baseball seats are as close as possible to behind home plate

Camera angles for football and basketball were set up at midfield/center court while baseball was set up behind home plate/centerfield when TV sports broadcast techniques were being established through trial and error for a reason - it is not as if the technology to set up two cameras in either end zone has never been available until recently

CBS will occasionally use a camera behind the basket for a few plays in the NCAA tournament but not for the entire game

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Vince McMahon turns his head in shame.

I grew up playing Madden and that’s not the angle. The angle is higher where you can see more of the field and the defense. The angle they are showing in clips and during Fog Bowl 2 are much lower. Unless they lowered it as of recent releases.
    I will take your word over that of the serial liars who market the NFL but that is how this is being marketed

"We are excited to present a game with the majority of live-action coverage coming from SkyCam," said Fred Gaudelli, Executive Producer of NBC Sunday Night Football and Thursday Night Football...

By pivoting to the SkyCam, NBC hopes to attract younger viewers who grew up playing "Madden" video games, which employs a view from behind the quarterback.

"Younger generations of NFL fans have grown accustomed to watching football from this angle through their love of video games. This telecast will have a look and feel akin to that experience," Gaudelli said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...elers-tnf-game
    No surprise Madden 17 shows the WRs and CBs

Madden 17 image

NBC SkyCam image
    https://streamable.com/8yi3y

Thanks for the perspective of someone who has played the videogame and can call out the NFL

I will take your word over that of the serial liars who market the NFL but that is how this is being sold

"We are excited to present a game with the majority of live-action coverage coming from SkyCam," said Fred Gaudelli, Executive Producer of NBC Sunday Night Football and Thursday Night Football...

By pivoting to the SkyCam, NBC hopes to attract younger viewers who grew up playing "Madden" video games, which employs a view from behind the quarterback.

"Younger generations of NFL fans have grown accustomed to watching football from this angle through their love of video games. This telecast will have a look and feel akin to that experience," Gaudelli said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874349/article/nbc-to-utilize-skycam-for-titanssteelers-tnf-game

No surprise Madden 17 shows the WRs and CBs

Madden 17 image

Skycam angle - no WRs or CBs - maybe younger generations love not seeing players for those positions and getting 18 out of 22 players in the screen is "akin" to the Madden experience

I like the view on replays and on occasional live shots. No way do I prefer it as my bread and butter shot!

I like the view on replays and on occasional live shots. No way do I prefer it as my bread and butter shot!
    It takes us back to the old standard def 4x3 screen ratio days when the standard shot before the snap could not fit the WRs on the screen

Back to the future!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I've played (and still play) Madden since the beginning. There are multiple views that you can use in Madden. The default view isn't the one in the screen shot in the post from AtlantaDan. That's the one that I use. The default Madden view is very close to what the Sky Cam shows. It's too close for me and that's why I don't like to use it. I like to see the whole field.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I've played (and still play) Madden since the beginning. There are multiple views that you can use in Madden. The default view isn't the one in the screen shot in the post from AtlantaDan. That's the one that I use. The default Madden view is very close to what the Sky Cam shows. It's too close for me and that's why I don't like to use it. I like to see the whole field.
    Will we be able to call our own plays on Thursday night??

This.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This totally seems most like some out of touch TV Producer - who actually doesn't understand either football or video games made a decision and a bunch of other out of touch execs sat around a table and nodded and said "Great Idea!!".

I'll give it a shot and I think it is not a bad idea for the NFL to try innovative new ideas -- not sure this the one...

As I have said elsewhere, the NFL is freaking out about lower ratings and is flailing about trying to "fix it". But they refuse to address the fundamental problem(s):

1. People (esp. young people) are watching far far less live TV. Likely no way to change that.
    2. There is too much football on TV.
    3. Thursday night games suck. Everyone but the league office acknowledges and recognizes this. Camera angles are not the answer.

With fundamentals eroding across the league, coaches refusing to adjust to the evolving skill-sets of players (look at how much better the Rams are w/out Jeff Fisher), game-plans becoming ever more complex, and a variety of other factors -- it makes no sense for the NFL to continually insist that teams attempt to play a quality prime-time game on short rest and prep. How many years has this been? Enough to get good data and we can easily see that scoring is down, penalties are up, and the home team usually wins.

Will we be able to call our own plays on Thursday night??
    Lol. Spam the Strong I HB Blast...