Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martellus Bennet cut by GB

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Martellus Bennet cut by GB

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Can it be proven? Perhaps? If the league were to seek the cell phones of the involved parties it might clear things up. I think it's worth pursuing. To me this would be more serious than "deflategate". Btw I thought "deflategate" was overblown and at most Brady should have been fined 25k and the team forced to forfeit a low round draft choice.
    Goodell needs Kraft's vote to hold off Jerry Jones messing with his contract extension and going after his job - no way he takes another run at the Pats right now.

Apparently self-deactivating through threatening to have or having surgery is the new method to get released from a team where the season has crashed and have a chance to get to the playoffs

Even though Vontae Davis will undergo groin surgery that it is expected to sideline him six to eight weeks, a handful of teams, including two involved in the playoff chase, already have reached out and expressed interest in signing the former Indianapolis Colts cornerback with the hope he can contribute in the playoffs, a source told ESPN....

The Colts released Davis on Thursday after he pursued a second medical opinion and decided to undergo the surgery.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...eturn-playoffs

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This is like one of those trades in Fantasy Football, where the 2-8 Big Ol’ TDs trade Julio Jones to the 9-1 The Big Gronkowskis for Matt Forte.

It’s legit... there’s no collusion... we aren’t going to split the winnings... I needed a RB...”

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think where we believe the collusion takes place is that normally a player wouldn't go about the process of virtually forcing his current team to release him. That is unless they know safe harbor awaits them elsewhere. And in this and the Blount case lo and behold it was with the Patriots supplying said safe harbor. It is our belief that there was some communication, be it the player or the agent, wherein the player knew the Patriots were waiting in the wings if and when they managed to obtain their release.

Can it be proven? Perhaps? If the league were to seek the cell phones of the involved parties it might clear things up. I think it's worth pursuing. To me this would be more serious than "deflategate". Btw I thought "deflategate" was overblown and at most Brady should have been fined 25k and the team forced to forfeit a low round draft choice.
    That Blount, or Bennett, thought, or hoped, the Patriots would pick them up is irrelevant to actually committing collusion.

BTW, if this wasn't the Patriots, no one would give it a second thought. Disgruntled players are a dime as dozen. You didn't want Blount, so you cut him, that's you're problem. You're trying to make it the Patriots problem, it isn't. BTW, I warned Steeler fans that it wouldn't work out when you took him.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    That Blount, or Bennett, thought, or hoped, the Patriots would pick them up is irrelevant to actually committing collusion.

BTW, if this wasn't the Patriots, no one would give it a second thought. Disgruntled players are a dime as dozen. You didn't want Blount, so you cut him, that's you're problem. You're trying to make it the Patriots problem, it isn't. BTW, I warned Steeler fans that it wouldn't work out when you took him.
    Not alleging they "thought or hoped", we're speculating they had contact with the Patriots prior to them making nuisances of themselves and becoming enough a pain in the ass to gain their release knowing the Patriots would sign them. Further suggesting that a simple cell phone inquiry might settle whether this occurred or not.

Honestly I think this happened.The Patriots certainly aren't above it. But I don't expect anything to come of it, nor do I particularly care.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Blount walked off the field during a game. Was cut for that. Was immediately picked up by his former team. Suddenly he's happy as a backup. Yes, we know what happened there, even if it can't be proven.

Bennett decides to have season ending surgery on his injured shoulder, so the Packers cut him to make roster room. He is immediately picked up by his former team. Suddenly his injured shoulder no longer requires season ending surgery. In fact, he passes his physical and the injury is healed now. OR...no longer requires season ending surgery. Again, yes, we know what happened there, even if it can't be proven.

As I said in a previous post, cheaters gonna cheat. Take the team names out of the equation and it still stinks. So no, it's not hating on one particular team.

BostonBlackie

Trust me, in a league that took an investigation surrounding deflated footballs all the way to a 4 game suspension, and a million dollar fine, any serious suspicion regarding that kind of tampering with Blount during the season would have triggered an inquiry like no one has seen since 9/11. They would have invaded Gillette with a SEAL team.

But that's alright, I understand where it's coming from. We'll take the wins, you can keep the bitterness.

Last edited by BostonBlackie; 11-12-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: But that's alright

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

And of course Bennett is active for the Pats game tonight. Must be something in that New England water that miraculously heals injuries.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

BostonBlackie

wicked smart water

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

First you got to understand Bennett:

How Martellus Bennett Went From Wanting Surgery To Playing For Patriots

DENVER — Martellus Bennett truly is a unicorn. There’s absolutely no one else in the world like the New England Patriots tight end.

And his saga from injuring his shoulder, wanting surgery, being waived by the Green Bay Packers, getting claimed and playing three days later couldn’t happen to anyone else.

Bennett played just seven snaps in the Patriots’ 41-16 win over the Denver Broncos, and he finished with three catches for 38 yards.

But how exactly did he even get to Denver? And where do we start?

Let’s begin with why Bennett felt he could play with the Patriots if he wanted surgery as a member of the Packers, because he failed to fully explain that in his now-infamous Instagram rant. He said nothing changed from Wednesday to Sunday.

“It’s not about could you play, it’s should you play,” Bennett said after the game. “It’s one of those things. Right now, I’m just like, (expletive) it. When (Patriots head coach Bill Belichick) called me after they claimed me, first I told my agent to tell no teams to claim me because I was still trying to get the surgery or whatever. When Bill called and said they claimed me, I was like, ‘No (expletive) way.’ Then he was like, ‘What’s going on?’ And I told him and I was like, he was like, we had a quick conversation and I was just like, ‘Let me think about it and I’ll call you back.’

“Even then, it wasn’t like, ‘Hey, you want to come?’ It was like, ‘Let me just call you back in a few minutes. Give me a chance to think about it and regroup.’ Because I don’t even know if I went through the seven stages of grief yet. I’m probably on step 3. I think the group of guys on this team couldn’t be a better place for me to, with what I’m going through right now, this situation, it couldn’t be a better place for me, all the familiar faces and friends and things like that. It’s been good to have those guys around.'” So, why did he feel like he shouldn’t play with the Packers?

“It wasn’t where I was, it was just about the injury,” Bennett said. “It was like one of those things, I talked to six or seven doctors about it and it could go either way. It was like one of those things I felt I should get fixed. And then after trying to get it fixed and getting waived, you just get that vengeance in your heart. It’s just like, ‘All right, that’s how you’re going to do it, then (expletive) it. Let’s go ball.'”

Bennett said he had “several calls with several different teams” wanting to work him out after he was waived by the Packers.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/11/how-martell...-for-patriots/

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar