Thread: NFL's Greatest Hits

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

NFL's Greatest Hits

Now I know what happened to Josh Cribbs. He was the best player on the Browns, but unfortunately made this list multiple times.

All Defense!

Re: NFL's Greatest Hits

All Defense!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

All Defense!

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Now I know what happened to Josh Cribbs. He was the best player on the Browns, but unfortunately made this list multiple times.

This will be viewed as the equivalent of boxing in the not too distant future

As far as longtime sports broadcaster Bob Costas is concerned, the future of football in the United States is clear — and bleak.“The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ins/842904001/

Costas got rich doing NFL pregames since the 80s so I guess he can now be morally outraged since he is pretty much out of doing football

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I believe the proof that football has contributed to brain damage is overwhelming. The future of football depends greatly on how technology can be used to protect players. I don't like this any more than any football fan, but the facts are the facts. If there is not substantial progress made, in the very near future, (now) the decline in support for football will continue. I do not understand why there isn't more legal action against the NFL by players and families, now that we all know health risks were purposely kept from the public, as well as the players. There has been some legal action, I'm aware, just surprised there hasn't been more, at least publicly. How do we justify $$BILLIONS$$ at the complete failure to protect the guys that play the game?

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I believe the proof that football has contributed to brain damage is overwhelming. The future of football depends greatly on how technology can be used to protect players. I don't like this any more than any football fan, but the facts are the facts. If there is not substantial progress made, in the very near future, (now) the decline in support for football will continue. I do not understand why there isn't more legal action against the NFL by players and families, now that we all know health risks were purposely kept from the public, as well as the players. There has been some legal action, I'm aware, just surprised there hasn't been more, at least publicly. How do we justify $$BILLIONS$$ at the complete failure to protect the guys that play the game?
    I am not challenging the indisputable evidence that football causes brain damage, just the messenger being someone who draws the moral line at continuing to cash the checks for promoting the game long after the relationship between football and brain damage has become indisputable

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I am not challenging the indisputable evidence that football causes brain damage, just the messenger being someone who draws the moral line at continuing to cash the checks for promoting the game long after the relationship between football and brain damage has become indisputable
    I agree. I remember Costas from before he became a 'baseball guy'. I think, to his point, the future of football has a clear and present apocalyptic event in it's very near future if unable to meet the CTE issue 'head on'. There needs to be emphasis on youth football first and foremost, IMO. If we lose youth football, the sport is done. At least on the scale we all grew up with. Once it gets to the college and pro ranks, it becomes more and more about the pay and entitlement, and there is less sympathy for grown men who know the risks. I think this will be a slow burn for the NFL. It's not going away any time soon. On this, I have to agree with Costas. Better late than never.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I will not let my son play football, even though I know he would like to. I value his brain more than he does at this point in his life, he's only 14 though so I don't expect him to understand the long term consequences like we do. It's tough to say no though, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I will not let my son play football, even though I know he would like to. I value his brain more than he does at this point in his life, he's only 14 though so I don't expect him to understand the long term consequences like we do. It's tough to say no though, that's for sure.
    I can relate to this. My son, just turned 15, plays LT. He'll be playing JV next season if he plays. He hasn't decided if he wants to or not. He's been playing basketball, and playing/coaching tennis. I'm not stopping him from playing football yet, but I'm not encouraging it either. We talk about the risks and how to best protect himself, things like that. My hope is basketball(his real love), and tennis(gets paid to coach) take up his time and football sort of falls away.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I can relate to this. My son, just turned 15, plays LT. He'll be playing JV next season if he plays. He hasn't decided if he wants to or not. He's been playing basketball, and playing/coaching tennis. I'm not stopping him from playing football yet, but I'm not encouraging it either. We talk about the risks and how to best protect himself, things like that. My hope is basketball(his real love), and tennis(gets paid to coach) take up his time and football sort of falls away.
    I can respect that. Here's to hoping his basketball team is so good that all he has time for is focusing on bettering his game.

I used to play football C, TE, LB. After a few seasons my mom wouldn't let me play anymore because I kept on getting cheap shots from the ghetto scumbags. One intentionally almost pulled my head off using my facemask after I shoestring tackled him around the edge and that was it. I went on to be a baseball all-star and even had several years in martial arts.
    All Defense!