Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers LB coach Porter says Harrison's time will come

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Steelers LB coach Porter says Harrison's time will come

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Harrison should absolutely not being playing over Watt. (Watt almost had 3 INTs.)

Harrison not playing over Dupree or Chickillo... I kind of get it.

Harrison not playing over Moats...
    yeah that one was really dumb even if it was just 5 snaps. i dont see any reason for us to get cute with keeping James fresh in tight games like this
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Where are people getting that if Harrison is in that he can only rush or defend the run, but not go into coverage? Didn't Harrison do well in coverage last year?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Where are people getting that if Harrison is in that he can only rush or defend the run, but not go into coverage? Didn't Harrison do well in coverage last year?
    IDK, seems like a reach that 39 year old guy can turn the corner on NFL LT's, but cant handle a 3-5 step drop into covering hook/curl in the flats when he has done it for a decade.

I still think that with leading the division, Steelers can still afford to limit his snap count until week 12. Start working him in down the stretch, so he can impact the rush in the playoffs. Watt and Chickillo can get the first 7 innings, so Deebo can come in for the save.

A year ago is an eternity at 39 concerning physical ability, especially at that level. Don't you think the coaches see what he is capable of in practice?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Don't you think the coaches see what he is capable of in practice?
    Harrison did not practice for the overwhelming majority of training camp.

To me, that says that they are conserving every ounce of his strength. Conserving it for when? I don’t know... maybe for when the Steelers play their Achilles heel (the Taperiots).

NOTE: Craic, that is not directed at you, but your post made me think of something I’ve been meaning to post.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...over-olb-2016/

This would seem to say that he did.

My main point is that when I watch Watt and Dupree in coverage they look smoother than Harrison does at this point in his career. I also see Butler moving around the OLBers and sub package DBs more this season than he did last year. That led to (at least in the Detroit game) Watt taking a coverage drop down the near hash that looked like something a "Tampa 2" LB would do.

I may have been overstating things - but these are the types of things that I think others than James Harrison are better at. Could Harrison do them? Maybe - but not as well. And it seems that the Steelers defensive staff is willing to take any loss of pass rush ability in a trade-off with flexibility in alignments and coverages.

Maybe they are planning on using him like Parcells did Otis Anderson at the end? Never see him during the regular season and then "Break Glass in Case of Playoffs" and watch the "lion in winter" just dominate?

I agree with you that it is frustrating to watch Dupree run himself past the QB over and over again knowing that Harrison is just sitting over there doing nothing.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Watt has earned every single one of his snaps. I have no problem with Watt playing so much at Harrison's expense. But its time to seriously talk about siphoning away Dupree's playing time for Harrison, especially on pass rushing downs
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Watt has earned every single one of his snaps. I have no problem with Watt playing so much at Harrison's expense. But its time to seriously talk about siphoning away Dupree's playing time for Harrison, especially on pass rushing downs
    You want him to play LOLB? I think the only time he's ever done that is with the Bengals, and I don't think that worked out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    You want him to play LOLB? I think the only time he's ever done that is with the Bengals, and I don't think that worked out very well.
    Correct, Harrison is pretty out of position as an OLB on a 4-3 front. Harrison/Watt being in the game as our OLB's doesnt have to mean that Harrison cant play at his normal ROLB spot. Watt has had his fair share snaps at Dupree's spot so we could always swap them. Watt has been engulfing everything put on his plate with great success so I dont think this would be such a big deal. 9 times out of 10 it would probably be a shaky idea at best, but Watt is no ordinary rookie

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I would love to know what Porter's unedited opinion of Dupree and his progress really is. I feel that Dupree has more raw ability than Porter did but he doesn't have enough nasty to his game. Could be injury and inexperience but I feel he might need some more stank to his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

His time will come. Trust in Peezy!! The good news is Harrison is depth...he’s your depth and at his age, I’d take him over Emmons, Worilds, Jones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

#freedeebo

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Lol... yeah, it's week 14 people. Put the man in the damn game somehow... sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Lol... yeah, it's week 14 people. Put the man in the damn game somehow... sheesh!
    It's not going to happen. Dupree and Watt are leaps and bounds better at rushing the passer than Harrison. *sarcasm*

Also, keep in mind that Harrison is the 5th LB on the depth chart.
    Hater = Realist

Yeah and we are 10-2 and second in the NFL in sacks. Coaches don’t know what the hell they are doing.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

It's not going to happen. Dupree and Watt are leaps and bounds better at rushing the passer than Harrison. *sarcasm*

Also, keep in mind that Harrison is the 5th LB on the depth chart.
    Well, at least he'll be well rested. Hope no bed sore injury's are keeping him out...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Yeah and we are 10-2 and second in the NFL in sacks. Coaches don’t know what the hell they are doing.
    Coaches also kept Kordell as the QB for 5 years. Yep, coaches always know what they are doing. They also went to the AFCC game with this moron at QB. Yep, they always know what they are doing.

Here is a question for you. You are forming your team, do you keep your best pass rusher on the bench every game or do you work him in some how? Do you relegate this best rusher as the 5th LB on the depth chart?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think that they're saving him for Tom Brady

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He doesn't fit the defense anymore. The OLB's need the ability to drop into coverage, something JH can't do.

FYI, Cam Heyward is the best pass rusher.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 12-07-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Grammar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He doesn't fit the defense anymore. The OLB's need the ability drop into coverage, something JH can't do.

Yep, to be honest this Steeler defense has evolved to where the OLB's need to be faster. There doesn't seem to be a place on this defense for just a pure rusher at OLB. I do like it though, since it makes the D less predictable where the rush is coming from. In the past, if you stopped the outside rush, you negated the Steelers pass rush, and teams like the Patriots* caught on to that over 10 years ago. It's about time honestly we evolved with the times.

He doesn't fit the defense anymore. The OLB's need the ability drop into coverage, something JH can't do.

THIS!

He doesn't fit the defense anymore. The OLB's need the ability to drop into coverage, something JH can't do.

I refuse to acknowledge change! Free DEEBO!

Harrison dropped into coverage last year. In fact, wasn't he rated one of the best LBs in coverage? Also, why would Harrison always need to be placed in coverage if he is used on special plays? I heard these same stories when the Steelers let him walk. Yet, when he returned, sparked the defense and played very well(including coverage).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yep, to be honest this Steeler defense has evolved to where the OLB's need to be faster. There doesn't seem to be a place on this defense for just a pure rusher at OLB. I do like it though, since it makes the D less predictable where the rush is coming from. In the past, if you stopped the outside rush, you negated the Steelers pass rush, and teams like the Patriots* caught on to that over 10 years ago. It's about time honestly we evolved with the times.
    But now the Steelers have no outside rush. So Harrison can only rush? I doubt any if the OLBs are anywhere close to being as good as Harrison at setting the edge.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Seriously, it's time. He can still make an impact, see Kansas City this year

Without Shazier, I can see both Watt and Deebo on the field together. Deebo has had some back issues recently.

Running up the arc constantly without a countermove doesnt fit the defense either.

Harrison graded out as the best OLB in coverage last season. The eye test suggests that he was still quite good too. Why do people keep having this notion that Harrison cant cover. He has always been able to cover.

Heyward, Tuitt, Deebo, Watt, Hargrave, Hilton, and Williams all bring pressure much more consistently than Dupree. Maybe his shoulder is still bothering him, i was defending him earlier in the season because it sounded like he was being remarkably tough to play through the injury, but he just doesnt look like hes going to pan out this year.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Running up the arc constantly without a countermove doesnt fit the defense either.

Harrison graded out as the best OLB in coverage last season. The eye test suggests that he was still quite good too. Why do people keep having this notion that Harrison cant cover. He has always been able to cover.

Heyward, Tuitt, Deebo, Watt, Hargrave, Hilton, and Williams all bring pressure much more consistently than Dupree. Maybe his shoulder is still bothering him, i was defending him earlier in the season because it sounded like he was being remarkably tough to play through the injury, but he just doesnt look like hes going to pan out this year.

Harrison can cover if he's only faking a rush and falling back to jump into the lane to protect the slant, or playing inside out to the sideline. This year, you routinely see Watt dropping into coverage in the middle of the field, with some of his drops very deep. Harrison just doesn't have the athleticism to do that. This defense has changed the requirements of each position compared to the way it was run under LeBeau.

I still believe there are ways to get him on the field, but not playing the position the way Watt does when he is on the field. The scheme needs to be altered to fit him in if he isn't just rushing the quarterback. If he just rushes the quarterback, then every OC and QB will know exactly what his responsibility is on the field. That is not a good thing.

For all we know, Butler will come up with a plan against Brady where Harrison is playing ILB sometimes and will be blitzing the quarterback with a full head of steam to push the pocket and run over RBs in pass protection. Let's just see what happens.

He's not playing for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Harrison can cover if he's only faking a rush and falling back to jump into the lane to protect the slant, or playing inside out to the sideline. This year, you routinely see Watt dropping into coverage in the middle of the field, with some of his drops very deep. Harrison just doesn't have the athleticism to do that. This defense has changed the requirements of each position compared to the way it was run under LeBeau.

I still believe there are ways to get him on the field, but not playing the position the way Watt does when he is on the field. The scheme needs to be altered to fit him in if he isn't just rushing the quarterback. If he just rushes the quarterback, then every OC and QB will know exactly what his responsibility is on the field. That is not a good thing.

For all we know, Butler will come up with a plan against Brady where Harrison is playing ILB sometimes and will be blitzing the quarterback with a full head of steam to push the pocket and run over RBs in pass protection. Let's just see what happens.

He's not playing for a reason.
    fair. but inversely is it not predictable to see Dupree harmlessly perform a 10 yard dash past the pocket/overrun a play in general? there arent going to be hustle sacks against Brady. None. Especially without Shazier and/or Haden not in the game blanketing receivers. Harrison is still tremendous at setting the edge and his gap discipline is still alive and well, this is an area where we will actually improve with him on the field. I think were getting a little carried away with this notion that being more of some sort of pass rushing specialist will make a talented OLB significantly less effective

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Yeh tell Deebo he cant do something... he will lead the league in Ints in 4 weeks.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar