Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

I won’t argue that James is near the player Heath was. It’s not close. However, the end result...however ugly it has been, is very similar when it comes to targets and completions. His hands haven’t been terrible. He has a catch percentage of 71% which is identical to Millers career percentage. Again, not saying that they are close to the same player but James’ receiving production has been very similar to that of Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I won’t argue that James is near the player Heath was. It’s not close. However, the end result...however ugly it has been, is very similar when it comes to targets and completions. His hands haven’t been terrible. He has a catch percentage of 71% which is identical to Millers career percentage. Again, not saying that they are close to the same player but James’ receiving production has been very similar to that of Miller.
    I'm sure I am being biased. I really thought that James would be "good enough" or even more than that this year and didn't feel that TE would be that big of an issue this season. However, I'm totally reversing course on that and I know believe that James and the lack of overall effective TE play is a major part of the problem on offense.

Entirely possible that I am letting that belief cloud my perception of James' play.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm sure I am being biased. I really thought that James would be "good enough" or even more than that this year and didn't feel that TE would be that big of an issue this season. However, I'm totally reversing course on that and I know believe that James and the lack of overall effective TE play is a major part of the problem on offense.

Entirely possible that I am letting that belief cloud my perception of James' play.

Good on you for recognizing that. I honestly have always seen James as a #2 TE talent and felt the Steelers needed to get somebody that is a #1 for the past couple seasons. They tried to find that #1 guy in Green, but IMO needed to go back to the drawing board again in the offseason.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What is the role of the TE in this offense? If AB has to be doubled most games, MB is the guy that takes the coverage deep, JuJu/Rogers is the threat over the middle, and Bell does what Bell does, where is the role for the TE? Not trying to downplay the position at all, just curious where the 'holes' are that a great TE is going to fill. IMO, what we need from our TEs is a steady blocker that can block well on the move. As for the passing game, we are pretty much getting what the average NFL TE brings already. Guess I just want the details filled in a bit more.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What is the role of the TE in this offense? If AB has to be doubled most games, MB is the guy that takes the coverage deep, JuJu/Rogers is the threat over the middle, and Bell does what Bell does, where is the role for the TE? Not trying to downplay the position at all, just curious where the 'holes' are that a great TE is going to fill. IMO, what we need from our TEs is a steady blocker that can block well on the move. As for the passing game, we are pretty much getting what the average NFL TE brings already. Guess I just want the details filled in a bit more.
    Well first off, James can't block any better than he could last year. So that's a "not really much at all".

Heath and Ben made a living just ripping apart the soft gaps in between zone defenders. Kind of those spots where the LB thought someone else had him, someone else thought the LB had him, etc.

The throw against the Lions that Ben "missed" right before the TD to Juju is a great example. The route seemed to call for James to break towards the sideline. That was there, but the "gaps" in the coverage also allowed James to carry his route down the field along the hashes. Right where Ben threw the ball. James didn't recognize the same thing and an opportunity was missed. Now, it turned out to be no big deal, because the next play was a TD. But the point remains that it seems like I can remember about once a game that Ben "misses" to James and then the camera cuts to Ben and he has this look on his face like "Dude, where were you going? How are you not seeing what the defense is giving you?"

As I said earlier, my growing dislike of the level of play from the TE position most likely has me coming down to hard on James, but that's where I am at.

In the Steelers offense, no matter how high-flying, they have always needed someone to work the soft parts of the zone between the LBs and DBs between the hash marks. I don't see anyone really working that part of the field this year. James, Rogers, and Grimble are MIA. Now is that their level of play? Ben being entranced with getting the ball to AB and Bell? I don't know - but I do know that if this team doesn't start making some hay in the middle of the field, its not going to get better on offense. I doubt you can consistently move the ball on NFL defenses only on the perimeter.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well first off, James can't block any better than he could last year. So that's a "not really much at all".

Heath and Ben made a living just ripping apart the soft gaps in between zone defenders. Kind of those spots where the LB thought someone else had him, someone else thought the LB had him, etc.

The throw against the Lions that Ben "missed" right before the TD to Juju is a great example. The route seemed to call for James to break towards the sideline. That was there, but the "gaps" in the coverage also allowed James to carry his route down the field along the hashes. Right where Ben threw the ball. James didn't recognize the same thing and an opportunity was missed. Now, it turned out to be no big deal, because the next play was a TD. But the point remains that it seems like I can remember about once a game that Ben "misses" to James and then the camera cuts to Ben and he has this look on his face like "Dude, where were you going? How are you not seeing what the defense is giving you?"

As I said earlier, my growing dislike of the level of play from the TE position most likely has me coming down to hard on James, but that's where I am at.

In the Steelers offense, no matter how high-flying, they have always needed someone to work the soft parts of the zone between the LBs and DBs between the hash marks. I don't see anyone really working that part of the field this year. James, Rogers, and Grimble are MIA. Now is that their level of play? Ben being entranced with getting the ball to AB and Bell? I don't know - but I do know that if this team doesn't start making some hay in the middle of the field, its not going to get better on offense. I doubt you can consistently move the ball on NFL defenses only on the perimeter.

All good points.

When Ben was young, he had Hines Ward and Heath to find the soft spot in zones. Ben used to create those opportunities for Hines by extending the plays and Hines would always find a void in the coverage. Ben's ability to do that have given Ward a shot at the HOF. Heath was also a great option for Ben. He was a great blocker in the run game, he made all the right reads in the defense to adjust his route, he caught everything thrown his way, and he could still beat coverage with his athletic ability and the use of play action.

Now that Ben no longer extends plays as often or as well as he once did, it is important that all his receivers know their assignments and are able to run precise routes to gain separation and keep plays on time in the passing game. He can no longer consistently make up for the inability of receivers to beat their defenders and get open on their own. AB has been the one consistent weapon before the emergence of JuJu. The revolving door of second and third receivers has really caused timing issues and chemistry issues with Ben IMO. Remember, every receiver runs the same route, but every receiver is at a different yardage because of differences in acceleration and top end speed, particularly on the deep ball. They all come out of their breaks differently and they all run at different speeds. When you combine the obvious problems with not seeing the same things that Ben does and not making the same adjustments, I'm sure it's very frustrating for him. Much of this has happened because of the Bryant suspension and the lack of quality play in his return, along with the laundry list of WR's that have attempted to take his place unsuccessfully and a ton of youthful mistakes.

Ben may have started to decline, but I don't think it is nearly as much as others believe. If they can get a group of receivers that can stay together and master their assignments and reads, I believe things will get much better very quickly.

The dream scenario is having AB, JuJu, and Bryant on the field at the same time, with Bryant being able to provide the field stretching and the threat of the home run on every play, and getting his head right. That is a scary group if they are operating at maximum efficiency and giving great effort. We know 2 out of the 3 will be giving everything they have and do the work. We all know who the wildcard is. Here we are years into Bryant's career, and the team still doesn't know what they are getting from play to play. If he can just focus himself...

The tight ends are more complimentary players from a talent perspective. They don't have a one player solution that can be an all-around TE to block, catch, and never come off the field. However, I think that Jesse James and McDonald are enough for now if the WR group can come together.

The only thing I know is that Ben has always distributed the ball to whoever is open and reliable. I think he has lost confidence in many players because of mental mistakes or drops in key situations. They must have dropped at least 6 or 7 TD passes this year. They are getting close offensively, but I really believe that they need to clean up mistakes. When that happens, Ben is going to complete at a higher percentage, and touchdowns are going to come. Confidence in where your targets are going to be means everything to a quarterback, particularly a quarterback that makes anticipation throws. This wouldn't be as much of an issue to a lesser quarterback that needs to see the target open before he throws the ball. The better quarterbacks throw the ball before the target is open.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    All good points.

When Ben was young, he had Hines Ward and Heath to find the soft spot in zones. Ben used to create those opportunities for Hines by extending the plays and Hines would always find a void in the coverage. Ben's ability to do that have given Ward a shot at the HOF. Heath was also a great option for Ben. He was a great blocker in the run game, he made all the right reads in the defense to adjust his route, he caught everything thrown his way, and he could still beat coverage with his athletic ability and the use of play action.

Now that Ben no longer extends plays as often or as well as he once did, it is important that all his receivers know their assignments and are able to run precise routes to gain separation and keep plays on time in the passing game. He can no longer consistently make up for the inability of receivers to beat their defenders and get open on their own. AB has been the one consistent weapon before the emergence of JuJu. The revolving door of second and third receivers has really caused timing issues and chemistry issues with Ben IMO. Remember, every receiver runs the same route, but every receiver is at a different yardage because of differences in acceleration and top end speed, particularly on the deep ball. They all come out of their breaks differently and they all run at different speeds. When you combine the obvious problems with not seeing the same things that Ben does and not making the same adjustments, I'm sure it's very frustrating for him. Much of this has happened because of the Bryant suspension and the lack of quality play in his return, along with the laundry list of WR's that have attempted to take his place unsuccessfully and a ton of youthful mistakes.

Ben may have started to decline, but I don't think it is nearly as much as others believe. If they can get a group of receivers that can stay together and master their assignments and reads, I believe things will get much better very quickly.

The dream scenario is having AB, JuJu, and Bryant on the field at the same time, with Bryant being able to provide the field stretching and the threat of the home run on every play, and getting his head right. That is a scary group if they are operating at maximum efficiency and giving great effort. We know 2 out of the 3 will be giving everything they have and do the work. We all know who the wildcard is. Here we are years into Bryant's career, and the team still doesn't know what they are getting from play to play. If he can just focus himself...

The tight ends are more complimentary players from a talent perspective. They don't have a one player solution that can be an all-around TE to block, catch, and never come off the field. However, I think that Jesse James and McDonald are enough for now if the WR group can come together.

The only thing I know is that Ben has always distributed the ball to whoever is open and reliable. I think he has lost confidence in many players because of mental mistakes or drops in key situations. They must have dropped at least 6 or 7 TD passes this year. They are getting close offensively, but I really believe that they need to clean up mistakes. When that happens, Ben is going to complete at a higher percentage, and touchdowns are going to come. Confidence in where your targets are going to be means everything to a quarterback, particularly a quarterback that makes anticipation throws. This wouldn't be as much of an issue to a lesser quarterback that needs to see the target open before he throws the ball. The better quarterbacks throw the ball before the target is open.
    I couldn't agree with all of this any more. Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They benched Bryant early in his career because he could not get his head on straight then either. He has great athletic talent, but is a mental case.

I had a girlfriend like that for 7 years, but had to ditch her because she was whacked out and got unbearable.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Embattled Steelers WR Martavis Bryant shows how 'special' he can be

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Sunday, Nov. 12, 2017

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...cial-he-can-be