Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Fowler:Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

More importantly will Harrison be involved? I don't care if Bryant is outright cut tomorrow, but I would rather sucker some team with a trade.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Fowler:Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Good.

Now we get to see if he responds properly. I can't help but think of Ike Taylor and his benching early in his career.

Agreed. I think he is going to get it together. There seems to be many who would like to get rid of him and I understand that, but all it takes is one or two WR to go down and we are SOL. We need to keep Bryant for that reason even if you don't like him.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed. I think he is going to get it together. There seems to be many who would like to get rid of him and I understand that, but all it takes is one or two WR to go down and we are SOL. We need to keep Bryant for that reason even if you don't like him.
    A lot of this also depends on Ben getting it together and also how many targets he will even get with our current heavy emphasis on the run game and Brown and Ju Ju on general hot streaks.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This team currently has only 3 reliable options in the passing game.

1. AB - the best in the business
    2. Bell - just amazing, but how much can one RB do?
    3. JuJu - emerging but still has some drops and has NO ability to run those option routes that Hines and Heath made their living on. Not a slam on jujubee - he is just a rookie. Relying too heavily on a rookie WR is an anxious proposition.

That's it. All the TEs either can't get open or can't reliably hang onto the ball. Rogers is just a guy. Hunter and DHB can not be counted on for anything. I would rather have Coates at this point. At least he tried.

Bryant needs to come back and come back in a big way.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bryant had 15 TDs in his first 17 games played. That is amazing.

Before his suspension, the difference between "Bryant in the lineup" and "Bryant out of the lineup" was 7 points. That is mind-boggling. To put that in perspective, when a franchise QB is expected to be out, Las Vegas sets the difference as only 4 points.

So... I hope that he he responds to JuJu's breakout game by having a resurgence of his former self: 3 for 98 yards, 1 TD.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Just a smokescreen for the upcoming trade if Paul Zeise of the Post-Gazette (possibly the worst sportswriter in western PA and the guy who previously wrote the Steelers needed to sign Kaepernick immediately) is to be believed

Paul Zeise: The Steelers have mere hours to trade Martavis Bryant

The Steelers have proven through eight games they can win without Bryant. ...

At one point, Bryant was worth that risk, but he no longer is, and the Steelers need to acknowledge as much and move on.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/z.../201710310150#

If the P-G pays for this rather than just allowing Zeise to post online for free no wonder most newspapers are dying

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Again... why would they’d trade him for anything less than a R2 pick???

He has shown that he can be a difference maker.

He has more physical skills than any receiver on the team. AB plays to 100% of his talents, but even he can’t do what Bryant could do if Bryant ever reaches his full potential (which is unlikely... but, still).

He costs us close to nothing. Really. And, we own his rights for a full other season.

He isn’t causing any lockerroom problems. The comments from Foster tell me that the rest of the team WILL move forward with or without him (it’s Bryant’s job to assimilate to the rest of the team).

SUMMATION:
    With AB & JuJu as #1 & #2.., name another team who has a #3 anywhere near as promising as Bryant.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Wonder what the Bills would have offered for him. 3rd and 7th for Benjamin. Then trade Hunter for Coates and a 6th to the Browns.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Since JuJu mostly plays in the slot of course MB is still in the plans. MB is the deep threat defenses have to account for.

Hopefully after the bye things start to click.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Since JuJu mostly plays in the slot of course MB is still in the plans. MB is the deep threat defenses have to account for.

Hopefully after the bye things start to click.

“I will say this too, a lot of Juju’s catches didn’t come at Martavis’ position. Even when Martavis is playing, Juju works inside a lot too. That big touchdown, that was not Martavis’ position. We can’t sit here and say, ‘Ok, look what he did and Martavis didn’t do because he was catching balls at different positions.”

Despite Mike Tomlin’s comments after the game about Martavis in which he expressed skepticism about whether or not Martavis can contribute moving forward, Ben has nothing but confidence in his receiver.

“I’m excited, I think he’d going to have a great second half. I mean I need to have a great second half. If we both have great second halves, I think we can be a successful offense.”

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...hIBqoY.twitter

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

As Pbeast and BandGold said, MB and Juju are not mutually exclusive.

Juju and Eli Rogers maybe. In fact, let's be perfectly honest about this -- Eli Rogers is "meh" at best.

He is not good as a returner. He can not seem to consistently get open and/or hang onto the ball as either the #2 or #3 option.

If the Steelers really want to make a SB run, the second half of the season has to be focused on how to feed Bell and some WR combo of AB-Juju-MB. Despite what we may think of the personalities involved, that is the best path towards this offense steamrolling people. Hunter, DHB, and Rogers need to be nailed to the bench.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hunter, DHB, and Rogers need to be nailed to the bench.
    Amen!!!!!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I may be in the minority but I liked Ayers better than Rogers. I wanted to see Ayers as a KR or even PR.

I guess they think Rogers would be the future slot and Juju at the #2 when Bryant eventually leaves???

I don't know. Rogers just gets no separation and minimal YAC (no explosion) from what I've seen.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I may be in the minority but I liked Ayers better than Rogers. I wanted to see Ayers as a KR or even PR.

I guess they think Rogers would be the future slot and Juju at the #2 when Bryant eventually leaves???

I don't know. Rogers just gets no separation and minimal YAC (no explosion) from what I've seen.
    They're all a dime a dozen. Easy to pickup as UFA's.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I liked Ayers too, I'm not really sure if I liked him more that Rogers though... With all the depth problems the Patriots are having at wideout, you would have thought Ayers would have been activated and making noise by now.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I liked Ayers too, I'm not really sure if I liked him more that Rogers though... With all the depth problems the Patriots are having at wideout, you would have thought Ayers would have been activated and making noise by now.
    Ayers was released by the Pats.

Ayers was released by the Pats.
    Huh. I had no idea. I wonder if they picked him up only to glean info from him about our new schemes? Like the Ravens used to do.

Huh. I had no idea. I wonder if they picked him up only to glean info from him about our new schemes? Like the Ravens used to do.
    Dec. 11, Ayers will be brought back to Foxboro.

Dec. 11, Ayers will be brought back to Foxboro.
    And he rips 2 returns for TD's

And he rips 2 returns for TD's
    And SU (actually every Steeler forum) Game Day thread implodes!

And SU (actually every Steeler forum) Game Day thread implodes!
    I can see it now, little mushroom clouds popping up all over the United States.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I think the coaches meant they were going have Martavis watch Juju's bicycle during the game to make sure nobody stole it.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Again... why would they’d trade him for anything less than a R2 pick???

He has shown that he can be a difference maker.

He has more physical skills than any receiver on the team. AB plays to 100% of his talents, but even he can’t do what Bryant could do if Bryant ever reaches his full potential (which is unlikely... but, still).

He costs us close to nothing. Really. And, we own his rights for a full other season.

He isn’t causing any lockerroom problems. The comments from Foster tell me that the rest of the team WILL move forward with or without him (it’s Bryant’s job to assimilate to the rest of the team).

SUMMATION:
    With AB & JuJu as #1 & #2.., name another team who has a #3 anywhere near as promising as Bryant.
    Post of the day!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

That's it. All the TEs either can't get open or can't reliably hang onto the ball. Rogers is just a guy. Hunter and DHB can not be counted on for anything. I would rather have Coates at this point. At least he tried.

Bryant needs to come back and come back in a big way.
    First I’d agree that Bryant needs to be incorporated more into the offense. However, your comments about the TEs (ie: James) Im not really understanding. James is being incorporated into the offense almost at the same rate that Miller was In 2014 and 2015. Miller was averaging about 5 targets a game and catching almost 4 of those balls. James’ current numbers are very similar to that with the exception of the KC and Cin games. As far as TE receiving goes, there’s not a real drop off from when Heath was here the last couple seasons. I’m pretty sure Heath averaged more per catch but as far as receiving dependability, they’re almost identical as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

trash Martavis all you want, but the Colts game plus a bye week in front of it is perfect for a confidence building game. We all know Davis is going to have to square up on Brown as per usual. And he's going to get cooked...as per usual. Bryant had a huge game the last time he played the colts as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Re: Fowler: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant Told He’ll Be Involved In Week 10 Gameplan

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    trash Martavis all you want, but the Colts game plus a bye week in front of it is perfect for a confidence building game. We all know Davis is going to have to square up on Brown as per usual. And he's going to get cooked...as per usual. Bryant had a huge game the last time he played the colts as well.
    It’s akin to a batting slump.

One good game... heck, one good reception, and Martavis could once again find his groove.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

As I said in another post, I just have a feeling that Bryant is going to be an asset to this team. I can see him getting some playing time, getting his timing and rhythm up to par with Ben, and helping us to win division and head to the play-offs. Then hopefully win the play-offs and to the SB where Bryant catches a winning TD......i.e. S.Holmes. I'm not a fan of Bryant's, he has to prove himself as did Brown, Bell and JuJu, but I'm willing to see him play now that he's been warned and given another chance. Hopefully he'll be another weapon on this offensive arsenal that gives Ben more power to score TD's. Could be a fun second half of season on the road to the SB !

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    First I’d agree that Bryant needs to be incorporated more into the offense. However, your comments about the TEs (ie: James) Im not really understanding. James is being incorporated into the offense almost at the same rate that Miller was In 2014 and 2015. Miller was averaging about 5 targets a game and catching almost 4 of those balls. James’ current numbers are very similar to that with the exception of the KC and Cin games. As far as TE receiving goes, there’s not a real drop off from when Heath was here the last couple seasons. I’m pretty sure Heath averaged more per catch but as far as receiving dependability, they’re almost identical as of late.
    Maybe the rate stats are similar but James is no where near as reliable as Heath was. His hands are suspect and he does not see the "holes" in the coverage the same way that Heath does.

To me, it seems the Steelers offense needs their TE to do one of two things in the passing game:

1. Be a seam ripper - the Ladarius Green method of contribution
    2. Make the defense pay for leaving patches of open grass in their zone schemes - the entire second half of Heath Miller's career.

But what the team currently has is Grimble who is too unreliable to take on the Green role and James who alternates between drops and not seeing what needs to be seen to play the Miller role.

And you all already know my thoughts on the blocking. Honestly, everyone wants to wring their hands over MB - but in a sense he was doing 60% of his job prior to the benching. He was helping to dictate coverages. The TE's and slot WRs are not doing their jobs it seems like. The next important catch Eli Rogers makes will be his 1st or 2nd this season. The lack of consistency and blocking from the TE position is actively causing the offense to sputter. Sure, it may not have happened on a ton of 3rd downs - but missed blocks on 1st or 2nd down have contributed to getting behind the chains.

All the folks who banged the drum for Rogers this off-season need to help me understand what he brings to the table that isn't overwhelmingly average and non-consequential. It is entirely possible I am not seeing it or Ben R is just not putting the ball his way.