Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burns vs. Jackson

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Burns vs. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Burns has played well this year, almost had a great pick this past week but Dalton made a great throw.

He's a work in progress but most of us knew this after he was drafted. He is only 22 years old compared to WJ3 who will be 25 in 2 days, he'll only get better.

Burns was the right choice.

I mean ffs, what is there to truly complain about? he is part of the reason why the secondary is playing great.
    I agree.

As I said elsewhere (or earlier???) I was higher on Burns than I was on WJIII (I think Texassteel & I were the only ones who had them ranked that way). Anywho, I was happy when WJIII was selected ahead of us. I feel that WJIII is the better player right now, but Burns will be the much better player in the long run.

As far as his draft position goes, if I recall correctly, the Chiefs were going to take him one pick after us... and then, once Burns was gone, they decided to trade down. In other words, there was no way that Burns would have been there any later than when we picked.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I wanted Willie and still do and hated the desperation cocky pick right after on Burns. Burns works and now not a bad pick at all. I don't see him being no more then just a slightly above average CB the rest of his career. He was then and now what we needed.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Bengals can't bet us in the league but purposely do it in the draft and knew we was all in on WJ.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Artie Burns had nine tackles, a pass defensed, and a fumble recovery against the Lions.

not bad for a guy who is afraid to tackle

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Artie Burns had nine tackles, a pass defensed, and a fumble recovery against the Lions.

not bad for a guy who is afraid to tackle
    Yeah. Lazy player who shows no effort and has little place on an NFL roster, much less the starting line-up.

In all seriousness, Burns strikes me as the kind of guy that is going to need periodic "reminders" in terms of film room and locker-room shaming that run tackling is a thing. But he certainly played last night like a player who was out to prove that he will hit guys.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Burns makes a great tackle here at the 35 second mark. Check it out.

It was on a 43 yard reception that he gave up, but at least he made the tackle. Just padding his stats on the tackle column.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah. Lazy player who shows no effort and has little place on an NFL roster, much less the starting line-up.

In all seriousness, Burns strikes me as the kind of guy that is going to need periodic "reminders" in terms of film room and locker-room shaming that run tackling is a thing. But he certainly played last night like a player who was out to prove that he will hit guys.
    I think you are correct. Watch the Lions possessions again if you have the game recorded and keep an eye on Burns. He will push a guy out to the sidelines, rather than try to wrap up and at times he slows down, just to let another Steeler make the tackle. He kind of looked like he was using the Deion Sanders technique of run support last night. Even at the 8:00 mark of that video, he gets run over by Ebron as he steps out of bounds...so probably credited with the tackle, but never tried to wrap up the TE at all.

He isn't really a willing tackler, but W. Jackson's strong suit isn't run support either.

Jackson just made Burns look like a great tackler. I would like to see putting both players in an octagon and tell them they need to tackle the other guy to the ground in order to win the match. 10 round split decision.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Jackson just made Burns look like a great tackler. I would like to see putting both players in an octagon and tell them they need to tackle the other guy to the ground in order to win the match. 10 round split decision.
    Yeah, throw in Dupree who was looking for the eclipse from last August.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Dupree got a sack when Andy ran into his arms.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

DONG SACK!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Dupree is looking more and more like another Jarvis Jones...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He is...it’s scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

DONG SACK!!!

That still cracks me up.

Yeah, I am no longer rising to his defense this week or any other until he starts looking like someone who can take coaching.

IF one could put Jarvis Jones's head onto DUpree's body you would have a darn good linebacker. Jones knew what to do, he just wasn't physically able. Dupree has all the ability and no earthly idea what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That still cracks me up.
    I know. Alvim BUDDong Sack. Its no Jasom Worlindong, but he can work on it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I know. Alvim BUDDong Sack. Its no Jasom Worlindong, but he can work on it.
    Both pale in comparison to Taunto the Winged God of Linebacking.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Yeah, I am no longer rising to his defense this week or any other until he starts looking like someone who can take coaching.

IF one could put Jarvis Jones's head onto DUpree's body you would have a darn good linebacker. Jones knew what to do, he just wasn't physically able. Dupree has all the ability and no earthly idea what to do with it.
    Agreed. I was really hyped to see Bud step up this year but he's fallen way off from what he did after his injury last year. I don't know what's gotten into him. He just looks like a guy going through the motions.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

did you guys see Jackson's matador non-tackle on LeVeon's TD?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The Steelers' best player against the Bengals? Artie Burns.

Pro Football Focus believes the second-year cornerback was the best player on the field for the Steelers. The stats-centric website that grades players on every snap in a given game gave Burns an overall score of 85.3, saying of his performance:

Burns impressed in coverage Monday Night, leading to a grade of 84.6 in that category. He was thrown at six times, allowing only two catches for 25 yards while recording a pass break up and limiting Bengals receivers to one yard after the catch. Burns held his own while in coverage against A.J. Green, not allowing a catch on three targets.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He is...it’s scary...
    Is he though...

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...teelers-asked/

Good read.

What I find interesting is that a certain website known for bashing LBs (specifically those who record dong sacks) consistently grades Dupree as a solid B+. Shocking, really. Dupree doesn’t even have a clever/sophomoric nickname (e.g. Ryan Shaqueer). And, trust me, Captain Miserable seeks out ANY reason to bash a player.

So... Bud might not be as bad as advertised.

(Of course, as I post this, he gives Dupree a D-. )

Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!!

I'm back on team BUDDY D

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The Steelers' best player against the Bengals? Artie Burns.

Pro Football Focus believes the second-year cornerback was the best player on the field for the Steelers. The stats-centric website that grades players on every snap in a given game gave Burns an overall score of 85.3, saying of his performance:

Burns impressed in coverage Monday Night, leading to a grade of 84.6 in that category. He was thrown at six times, allowing only two catches for 25 yards while recording a pass break up and limiting Bengals receivers to one yard after the catch. Burns held his own while in coverage against A.J. Green, not allowing a catch on three targets.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/05/steelers-vs-begals-pro-football-focus-grades-artie-burns-antonio-brown/stories/201712050197

So you're saying that both Burns AND Jackson can be good? Ppppppfffffftttttt

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pretty sad imo. All the pre-draft talk of what a freakish athlete he was sure as hell hasn't shown up. It seems at this point the river barge will be picking up its next passenger sooner rather than later. Might as well take big Dan also, he can serve as the anchor.