Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Franklin Is A Players Coach Like Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: James Franklin Is A Players Coach Like Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No worries now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The choke job against Michigan State really screwed this team...they would’ve been right back in it quite easily had they handled business...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The choke job against Michigan State really screwed this team...they would’ve been right back in it quite easily had they handled business...

Franklin is a great recruiter. The knock on him is that he isn't a great x's and o's guy.

For the last few games, teams have been bringing a free man off the edge and are continually hitting Saquon Barkley 5 yards in the backfield every time he gets the ball handed to him. They run a lot of RPO stuff, but they haven't made the adjustment to bring the WR around to threaten the jet sweep on the snap. It would hold the defender coming off the edge, and also give them some other options off of that play. They have the most dynamic running back in the country. It's mind-boggling to me that the coaching staff can't find a way to help get the running game going by making adjustments. This if football 101.

I know the offensive line is awful, but there are still some things he can be doing to help create opportunities.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they do special plays and gimmick plays in games against inferior opponents when they are winning by four touchdowns instead of saving those plays against the tougher opponents on the schedule. If they used just a couple of those special plays successfully that teams haven't seen before against Ohio State and Michigan State, they probably win both of those games.

Some things just don't make sense about the way he coaches IMO.

He's gotten the team back to being a national presence and will continue to get deeper and more talented now that the sanctions that limited scholarships is over and Franklin continues to recruit more talent and his talented young players get experience. I'm not saying they should fire the guy. I'm thankful he is there. I just think he has some deficiencies that may limit his success if he can't figure it out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Franklin is a great recruiter. The knock on him is that he isn't a great x's and o's guy.

For the last few games, teams have been bringing a free man off the edge and are continually hitting Saquon Barkley 5 yards in the backfield every time he gets the ball handed to him. They run a lot of RPO stuff, but they haven't made the adjustment to bring the WR around to threaten the jet sweep on the snap. It would hold the defender coming off the edge, and also give them some other options off of that play. They have the most dynamic running back in the country. It's mind-boggling to me that the coaching staff can't find a way to help get the running game going by making adjustments. This if football 101.

I know the offensive line is awful, but there are still some things he can be doing to help create opportunities.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that they do special plays and gimmick plays in games against inferior opponents when they are winning by four touchdowns instead of saving those plays against the tougher opponents on the schedule. If they used just a couple of those special plays successfully that teams haven't seen before against Ohio State and Michigan State, they probably win both of those games.

Some things just don't make sense about the way he coaches IMO.

He's gotten the team back to being a national presence and will continue to get deeper and more talented now that the sanctions that limited scholarships is over and Franklin continues to recruit more talent and his talented young players get experience. I'm not saying they should fire the guy. I'm thankful he is there. I just think he has some deficiencies that may limit his success if he can't figure it out.
    Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Doesn't some of that speak to a program regaining it's footing and missing good coordinators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Doesn't some of that speak to a program regaining it's footing and missing good coordinators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right. It does. Not everything is Franklin's fault.

I think the coordinators are pretty good. But there are some things that the head coach still has his hands on. For example, when Christian Hackenberg was their quarterback when Franklin took over, he insisted on right handed Hackenberg coming away from center with his left foot back. That made him plant with his wrong foot, and would have to reset himself in the pocket. I believe he completely screwed the kid up. This was pretty well-known around the program.

It is Franklin that brought the Spread offense and the read option to the program. He is the head coach. If he can force a stud pro-style quarterback to change his footwork to incorrect footwork to better fit his offensive scheme, he has the power to tweak the design of the offense to help the running game.

Wins and losses are ultimately the responsibility of the head coach.

They do need more depth. Injuries still hurt them more than most teams because of the limited scholarships for years. Now that Franklin has been there long enough and the full amount of scholarships have been restored, he can now fill his roster with talent that fits the schemes they run. They have been forced to use freshmen and sophomores in a few too many spots because of lack of quality depth.