Thread: NFL "Random" Drug Testing & the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

NFL "Random" Drug Testing & the Steelers

ESPN has an article discussing the Steelers experiences with the NFL "random" drug testing procedures

[Vince] Williams recalls rarely getting tested for performance-enhancing drugs while training in Central Florida for his first three NFL offseasons.

This spring, he switched it up and worked out with the NFL’s most fibrous man, James Harrison, in Arizona.
    “And I got drug-tested a lot,” Williams said. “I don’t know how random that is, but it is interesting.” ...

“Some guys go all year and don’t get a random test,” Harrison said. “Some guys get tested five, six, seven, eight, nine times.”

Harrison falls into the latter category....

Players say that even a mere affiliation with Harrison can make the process feel calculated.
    Safety Mike Mitchell has a similar story to Williams. He calls it “odd” that he got tested a day after publicly discussing the gains he made while working out with Harrison in Arizona....

And then there’s [Ramon] Foster, who as a player rep is turned off by the suspicion conversation.

After all, players facing potential drug suspensions is another example of a league that specializes in "nonsense," Foster said.

“Why have so much negativity brought upon our league?” Foster said. “Nobody else broadcasts suspensions the way we do. Nobody tells about guys getting fined the way we do. Brighten the league. That’s front-office stuff.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-will-find-you

If the NFLPA was not a clown union this would stop

And Foster's comments reflect the seething anger many players have for the league office - the NFL has by the far the worst labor-management relations of any major professional team sport.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Re: NFL "Random" Drug Testing & the Steelers

You know the rules of the game so quit your damn crying. Most everyday people on everyday jobs get 'pop up' testing, some people get tested more than others by chance. If a person fails, or is suspected of something, there is a warning and then can expected to be tested again. If failing again, more than likely, that person will be suspended or terminated. That's the rules. My work randomly tests monthly, some names pulled more frequently (by chance) than others. It is weird to be tested while on vacation I agree, but then these guys make great money for playing a game and do represent their organization all year, during season and off season. If I did something wrong away from work, and made a bad name for my company, I could lose my job. Same as the player's, if they did something wrong during off season, it would put a black mark on the Steeler organization. I do understand the 'testing' process and, sorry, but I agree with it. So all you professional, high paid, player's.... welcome to the real world, follow the rules that you signed up to in that contract, quit you crying, and man up !!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    You know the rules of the game so quit your damn crying. Most everyday people on everyday jobs get 'pop up' testing, some people get tested more than others by chance. If a person fails, or is suspected of something, there is a warning and then can expected to be tested again. If failing again, more than likely, that person will be suspended or terminated. That's the rules. My work randomly tests monthly, some names pulled more frequently (by chance) than others. It is weird to be tested while on vacation I agree, but then these guys make great money for playing a game and do represent their organization all year, during season and off season. If I did something wrong away from work, and made a bad name for my company, I could lose my job. Same as the player's, if they did something wrong during off season, it would put a black mark on the Steeler organization. I do understand the 'testing' process and, sorry, but I agree with it. So all you professional, high paid, player's.... welcome to the real world, follow the rules that you signed up to in that contract, quit you crying, and man up !!
    Following the rules is supposed to be a two way street. As you know, since you understand the testing process,

Random, or “spot,” drug testing is a strong deterrent to drug users because it is conducted on an unannounced basis. Using a random selection process (e.g., computer-generated), an employer selects one or more individuals from all the employees included in the employer’s workplace drug-testing program. By using a random selection process, employers ensure that there is no bias and that all employees have an equal chance of being selected, even those who have been drug tested recently.

https://www.questdiagnostics.com/hom...ns/random.html

Does an equal chance of being selected without bias appear to be what is going on in the NFL? Or is someone and anyone who associates with them being singled out for testing because they had publicized run-ins with senior management several years ago?

As far as the Al-Jazerra article perhaps establishing "being suspected of something" and grounds for repeated testing, I have not read of Julius Peppers or Clay Matthews being tested repeatedly after the NFL cleared them

The NFL has found "no credible evidence" that the Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison and the Green Bay Packers' Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers used or were provided with prohibited substances after an investigation into allegations made in a documentary by Al-Jazeera.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ed-allegations

Unlike Bell and Bryant, who legitimately were singled out for repeated testing after failing a test or admitting use of banned substances, Harrison to my knowledge has never failed a test.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I hate to kick the hornet's nest that it is, but isn't this the same as getting called for jury duty? My sister is one of those that gets the call every time she's eligible for it. I have been called a total of 3 times in my life. I have coworkers who have never been called, and others that SEEM to have it every other year. I believe James has his name called randomly, about as much as I believe the world is flat.(Which, of course I don't at all) I do believe the overall process is a random selection, but some players will be singled out of that to get tested more often. That makes sense too though, doesn't it? With having failed a prior test, being named in a allegation, or just plain being a physical freak. I think James should see it as a compliment if he is truly clean. It just says the NFL sees him as fantastic, unique, awe inspiring, and above the norm.