Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Martavis Bryant has requested a trade from the team

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Martavis Bryant has requested a trade from the team

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    He is also not on drugs anymore. I'm sure his game perception needs to come around.
    That’s actually a very good point. His current perception (sober) of things has beeen greatly altered from two seasons ago (high). No joke. That is a thing.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Is Ben overthrowing him or is MB under running the route?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is Ben overthrowing him or is MB under running the route?
    Since Ben has been missing other receivers deep, I'm gonna say this is 70% a Ben problem.

Maybe like 30% a Bryant problem on timing and crisp route running - that still has to be rusty against live competition.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That’s actually a very good point. His current perception (sober) of things has beeen greatly altered from two seasons ago (high). No joke. That is a thing.
    I described this very thing in one of the other MB threads. I was a smoker for over 20 years and when I quit it dramatically affected my pool game. I had to develop a completely different mindset, I know longer had the crutch of a cigarette to calm my nerves anymore. There was and adjustment period for sure.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Since Ben has been missing other receivers deep, I'm gonna say this is 70% a Ben problem.
    Bill Simmons (who is still bitter about betting the Steelers to beat Jax as part of a teaser bet two weeks ago) on 2017 Ben

I lost money on Ben Roethlisberger (during his Cap Rooney–Dennis Quaid season)...

Roethlisberger is Bortles with better PR at this point. The Steelers beat the Chiefs only because of Andy Reid and Ben’s hideous floater into double coverage that magically transformed into an Antonio Brown TD. Has Big Ben entered the Lucky Dad Golfer Stage where he’s going to be duck-hooking drives that careen off trees and land right in the fairway ā la Peyton Manning from 2012 through 2014? Possibly.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/1...ks-mailbag-nba

The Cap Rooney comparison for anyone who recalls the Oliver Stone movie Any Given Sunday is pretty good

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bill Simmons is Dennis Miller on MNF...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I described this very thing in one of the other MB threads. I was a smoker for over 20 years and when I quit it dramatically affected my pool game. I had to develop a completely different mindset, I know longer had the crutch of a cigarette to calm my nerves anymore. There was and adjustment period for sure.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bill Simmons is Dennis Miller on MNF...
    He is selling an act and no longer doing close to his best work but making a lot more than Miller ever did - do not recall Miller ever coming up with pitching sports programming like the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries or being the power at NBC or ABC that Simmons was at ESPN until senior executives got fed up with him

First major sportswriter who was successful writing for an online rather than print audience where you were not limited by available column inches in the paper and did not need to go to the games to write about them the next day since access to the players and coaches was highly overrated once they were making so much $$ they did not have to give meaningful access rather than boilerplate quotes to sell the sport

Dennis Miller never wrote anything like this on the Red Sox 2003 loss in game 7 of the ALCS to the Yankees - one of the best pieces I have ever read on what it is like as a fan to have your team lose a heartbreaking game, with a classic opening line

Twenty minutes after the Yankees eliminated the Sox, I called my father to make sure he was still alive.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story...simmons/031017
    Last edited by AtlantaDan; 10-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

when Steelers win the SB we are going to look back at a lot of idiotic threads and comments by the media. It reminds me of when Brady had a bad start and they got crushed by KC at beginning of year and they actually started to write off Tom Brady. I really did hope they were right, but no, NE won SB that year. Consistency is not what makes Ben great. He is more like Favre or Elway, a big play QB who does have some awful games. I can live with that, during regular season anyway. I would be shocked if he is still slumping at end of season into playoffs. I think at his age the playoffs is what gets him fired up, and an early season game against the Jags or Bears really doesn't. It would be nice to have home field throughout playoffs though. Its not like he has lost another step or two since last year or his arm looks like a noodle. I could see a SB win then retire.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    He is selling an act and no longer doing close to his best work but making a lot more than Miller ever did - do not recall Miller ever coming up with pitching sports programming like the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries or being the power at NBC or ABC that Simmons was at ESPN until senior executives got fed up with him

First major sportswriter who was successful writing for an online rather than print audience where you were not limited by available column inches in the paper and did not need to go to the games to write about them the next day since access to the players and coaches was highly overrated once they were making so much $$ they did not have to give meaningful access rather than boilerplate quotes to sell the sport

Dennis Miller never wrote anything like this on the Red Sox 2003 loss in game 7 of the ALCS to the Yankees - one of the best pieces I have ever read on what it is like as a fan to have your team lose a heartbreaking game, with a classic opening line

Twenty minutes after the Yankees eliminated the Sox, I called my father to make sure he was still alive.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story...simmons/031017
    He is successful at what he does. Miller was successful as a comedian. Simmons is not my cup of tea (neither was Miller). I'm not sure why you're comparing Miller's writing since he wasn't one. That wasn't my point. They're both snarky and I don't care much for that when it comes to sports. For example, I can't stand listening to Dan LebRetard.

He is successful at what he does. Miller was successful as a comedian. Simmons is not my cup of tea (neither was Miller). I'm not sure why you're comparing Miller's writing since he wasn't one. That wasn't my point. They're both snarky and I don't care much for that when it comes to sports. For example, I can't stand listening to Dan LebRetard.
    You did not say he was like Miller on SNL, which was comedy - you raised the comparison to Miller on MNF, which was sports - did not know you wanted to limit it to TV sports commentary rather than refer to Simmons overall body of work

If you want to measure it by income or influence on their chosen occupation (comedy for Miler/sports commentary for Simmons), IMO Simmons has left the bigger impact

Understood how Simmons is not to everyone's taste just as Jim Nantz is on every major sports event broadcast by CBS and I wish he would be gone - success does not mean universally admired in any field

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I didn't like LeBatard much when I heard him earlier, but if you just listen to it with the mindset that its not a serious sports show, but rather one where they confront some of the silly assertions of sports and life with equal silliness and humor....then its actually entertaining.

Bill Simmons writes some pretty entertaining stuff and as a fan of the Celtics, I get a kick out of him being such a blatant homer. But I also realize that he is most likely a whiny little weasel that got stuffed in the locker a lot in highschool and is less of an athlete than Adam Scheffter, but somehow writes on sports as if he is experienced in it. I guess my point is that in my opinion, I enjoy most of these guys for what they are and just listen to it. The media that I don't like are the DB's like Bayless and Cowherd, who just instigate conversation by taking the most irritating point, or lying to start a discussion.

re: LeBatard

Ben McAdoo looks like...

...the guy holding up the checkout line at 7-11, because he’s cashing in a month’s worth of lottery scratchers.

...the father of an unathletic freshman who didn’t make the JV baseball team due to “politics”.

...the manager of Hot Tubs ‘R’ Us.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    re: LeBatard

Ben McAdoo looks like...

...the guy holding up the checkout line at 7-11, because he’s cashing in a month’s worth of lottery scratchers.

...the father of an unathletic freshman who didn’t make the JV baseball team due to “politics”.

...the manager of Hot Tubs ‘R’ Us.

LeBatard calling in to Bud Grant's annual garage sale to discuss the sale of hunting rifles.

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/sta...326528?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I didn't like LeBatard much when I heard him earlier, but if you just listen to it with the mindset that its not a serious sports show, but rather one where they confront some of the silly assertions of sports and life with equal silliness and humor....then its actually entertaining.

Bill Simmons writes some pretty entertaining stuff and as a fan of the Celtics, I get a kick out of him being such a blatant homer. But I also realize that he is most likely a whiny little weasel that got stuffed in the locker a lot in highschool and is less of an athlete than Adam Scheffter, but somehow writes on sports as if he is experienced in it. I guess my point is that in my opinion, I enjoy most of these guys for what they are and just listen to it. The media that I don't like are the DB's like Bayless and Cowherd, who just instigate conversation by taking the most irritating point, or lying to start a discussion.
    I get all your points but I just take Simmons seriously when he’s breaking down Ben’s problems when Simmons know nothing about playing QB.

- - - Updated - - -

And I get your point on Leb, but the problem is that he at times wants me to suddenly take him seriously about sports when he turns on that switch. Sorry. Can’t take him seriously. But he does make some funny observations.