Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heroes and Goats

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Heroes and Goats

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I completely agree with this. While we can look at the positives of Burns improving play at CB, we should not overlook the lack of willingness to tackle at times, or to hustle to get in on tackles, or complete lapses in coverage like Sunday, which resulted in 1TD and should have been another TD if Smith doesn't overthrow the wide open WR that Burns left in the corner of the end zone.

I have said for seasons that Mike Mitchell is a mediocre NFL FS at best and is getting paid too much, but its another case of the Steelers needing to draft pass rushers, OLB's, WR's, CB's before they upgrade his average level of play.
    If they had moved on before this season Mitchell's dead money cap hit for 2017 would have been $8,527,500, which is more than his actual 2017 cap hit of $8,135,000 if he stayed on the roster - so he was not going anywhere

If he stays next season his cap hit once again is $8,135,000 - if he is released the dead money cap hit is $1,763,750 for 2018, which is much more workable

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...mitchell-5895/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mitchell might get another season out of all this. The "best" option for replacing him is with a draft pick. That means potentially starting a rookie in the back end with a 3rd year SS, a 3rd year CB, either Haden or basically a rookie in Sutton, and a 3rd year player in Hilton in the slot.

I like the talent, but the experience is woefully lacking. Mitchell likely gets one more year to be the "QB" in the secondary while the Steelers train Davis or a rookie FS to take over in 2019.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Mitchell might get another season out of all this. The "best" option for replacing him is with a draft pick. That means potentially starting a rookie in the back end with a 3rd year SS, a 3rd year CB, either Haden or basically a rookie in Sutton, and a 3rd year player in Hilton in the slot.

I like the talent, but the experience is woefully lacking. Mitchell likely gets one more year to be the "QB" in the secondary while the Steelers train Davis or a rookie FS to take over in 2019.
    I think Davis has the range and coverage skills as a former CB at Maryland to make the move to FS, while they can always look at Wilcox and another Rookie at the other spot if needed. Have to start thinking of replacing the salary cap hit of Mitchell so they can use it elsewhere IMO.