Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the Run the Ball More Debate

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: For the Run the Ball More Debate

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I wonder if established players, or players in general would be willing to accept more padded practices for less playing time in the pre-season? It seems like it would be a fair trade-off and the teams at least can somewhat control the padded practices. You wouldn't have to worry about a rogue player from another team trying to make a name for himself by cheap-shotting(sp?) a star player.
    That might be a great compromise solution!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I wonder if established players, or players in general would be willing to accept more padded practices for less playing time in the pre-season? It seems like it would be a fair trade-off and the teams at least can somewhat control the padded practices. You wouldn't have to worry about a rogue player from another team trying to make a name for himself by cheap-shotting(sp?) a star player.
    I do not know how you would negotiate that quid pro quo.

The CBA sets training camp rules (this was from 2016 but I do not think it has changed for 2017)

Every training camp is governed by the rules of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Here are the rules pertaining to training camp practices:

*The first day of training camp is limited to physical exams, meetings and classroom instruction. Running and conditioning are the only on-field activities permitted.

*No contact is allowed and no pads can be worn on the second and third days of training camp.

*After the third day of training camp two-a-days are permitted with the following restrictions:

*Players may be on the field for a total of no more than four hours per day.

*Players may participate in no more than one padded practice per day, which shall be no longer than three hours of on-field activities.

*There must be at least a three-hour break after the first practice.

*The second practice on the same day may only be for a maximum of the remaining available on-field time and has to be limited to only walk-through instruction (no helmets, full-speed pre-snap and walking pace after the snap).

*The three-hour limit on padded practices begins as soon as position coaches start to coach players on the field.

*If a team begins a padded practice but the practice is canceled within 60 minutes of its start due to inclement weather or any other reason beyond the team's control, the practice won't count as a padded practice.

*A padded practice is defined as a practice in which players are required to wear helmets and shoulder pads.

*Teams are required to film all on-field activities during training camp. A copy of the film needs to be maintained until 30 days after the start of the regular season. The NFLPA can view the film if a player files a complaint alleging a violation of the training camp rules.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...amp_rules.html

The CBA also sets the max number of regular season padded practices (this in an article regarding the Canadian league eliminating all regular season padded practices)

The NFL's current CBA limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must come in the first 11 weeks of the season. Teams are not required to use them all, and some don't.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ason-practices

You might get the owners to agree to reduce the number of preseason games (probably in return for at least one more regular season game to make up for the two preseason games that are included in season ticket packages) in return for more padded practices but I do not see how you could get coaches to agree as a CBA matter how many reps each player got in preseason games (which any marginal player trying to make the team would not want because it might result in them getting cut)

NFL wants to avoid injuries and blows to the head but that is, for better or worse, how the game has been played

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I do not know how you would negotiate that quid pro quo.

The CBA sets training camp rules (this was from 2016 but I do not think it has changed for 2017)

Every training camp is governed by the rules of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. Here are the rules pertaining to training camp practices:

*The first day of training camp is limited to physical exams, meetings and classroom instruction. Running and conditioning are the only on-field activities permitted.

*No contact is allowed and no pads can be worn on the second and third days of training camp.

*After the third day of training camp two-a-days are permitted with the following restrictions:

*Players may be on the field for a total of no more than four hours per day.

*Players may participate in no more than one padded practice per day, which shall be no longer than three hours of on-field activities.

*There must be at least a three-hour break after the first practice.

*The second practice on the same day may only be for a maximum of the remaining available on-field time and has to be limited to only walk-through instruction (no helmets, full-speed pre-snap and walking pace after the snap).

*The three-hour limit on padded practices begins as soon as position coaches start to coach players on the field.

*If a team begins a padded practice but the practice is canceled within 60 minutes of its start due to inclement weather or any other reason beyond the team's control, the practice won't count as a padded practice.

*A padded practice is defined as a practice in which players are required to wear helmets and shoulder pads.

*Teams are required to film all on-field activities during training camp. A copy of the film needs to be maintained until 30 days after the start of the regular season. The NFLPA can view the film if a player files a complaint alleging a violation of the training camp rules.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...amp_rules.html

The CBA also sets the max number of regular season padded practices (this in an article regarding the Canadian league eliminating all regular season padded practices)

The NFL's current CBA limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must come in the first 11 weeks of the season. Teams are not required to use them all, and some don't.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ason-practices

You might get the owners to agree to reduce the number of preseason games (probably in return for at least one more regular season game to make up for the two preseason games that are included in season ticket packages) in return for more padded practices but I do not see how you could get coaches to agree as a CBA matter how many reps each player got in preseason games (which any marginal player trying to make the team would not want because it might result in them getting cut)

NFL wants to avoid injuries and blows to the head but that is, for better or worse, how the game has been played
    That does looks pretty solid. I guess if both parties can agree(I know highly unlikely) when the new CBA comes up, it could solve some problems with the less than stellar product we've been seeing in the early parts of the season.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I will throw this out there. I think NFL coaching staffs are making a big mistake sitting established players in the preseason games. They just don’t get the same kind of reps in practice.

Teams are damned if they do because of the risk of injury. Dam end if they don;t because of the risk of out of sync play.
    They're not dammed if they do. They just don't because of all the hype that's developed.

You're not really going to dodge too many injuries by cutting down reps the way they do it, but you sure can cut down preparedness. A high-sacrifice, low-payoff way to appease the media riskmongers saying either "omg head injuries" or "omg highly paid players, can't ever use them!"

It is really amazing to me the way the NFL runs itself in the most knee-jerk, peer-pressure influenced way I've ever seen a business run, to the point where they're willing to mess up the quality of the product and do it with a smile on their face. Pro football as we know (knew) it is likely dead. All because of people who have little to no idea how an organized sports team needs to be run, but a hell of a lot of time on their hands to second-guess everyone else.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Running game is the only thing working right now.
    All Defense!

194 yards on the ground. I tuned in late when he looked out of sync.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Bell is team MVP for a reason.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Bell is team MVP for a reason.
    Agreed and AB is the best wr in the league bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    194 yards on the ground. I tuned in late when he looked out of sync.
    Ahh. Makes sense.

Honestly, Ben looked decent today, and there were even a few flashes of the older Ben. His int was Brown's fault unfortunately and he hit several receivers in the hands. On the other hand, his TD pass to Brown was complete luck. Well, not complete. Ben's known to throw a fastball, and it's harder to catch them if you're not ready for it. Nevertheless, it wasn't a great throw. Great catch, absolutely. But not a great throw.

I saw him when he was overthrowing by a fraction, not exactly on time. The TD to AB at the end should have been picked like another in the 3rd quarter. Nobody makes every play all the time and we got out with a win. We needed more Nix, Connor and the other RB. Defense left a couple of picks out there especially at the end. Good thing no Chief was behind Shazier when he left the last pass go through his hands.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Agreed and AB is the best wr in the league bar none.
    except for when he stopped running on that slant route and caused the INT.