Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bell - Steelers didn't run enough against Jags

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bell - Steelers didn't run enough against Jags

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...-play-calling/

I hate the one Dave's rambling way of speaking, but this is a really interesting podcast. Breaks the game down in some detail.

Looks at when/why INTS happened and the 3 backbreaking ones went down when Ben was throwing to the sticks on non-running downs. Two of the INTS also came on plays where Connor and Hubbard missed their blocks.

Examines the effectiveness of the run game.

Absolutely kills the goal to go play calling.

Overall very interesting. It seems to argue that a detailed look uncovers that it isn't as simple as running the ball more. It is a lot of different things. Primary is Ben R not being so terrible.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    He seems to have done fairly well in his chosen profession for a moron, even though he does not post here and his comments accordingly should be discounted. I know this is highly unlikely, but consider the wild possibility he might know more about the subject than any of us.
    I like you and respect you Dan, but why is it when Bell or AB speak publicly about a team problem or throw a tantrum, they know a lot more about football than we do...and you side with them? Yet when a HOF quarterback makes public statements and doesn't throw fits on the field....he's an asshole?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I like you and respect you Dan, but why is it when Bell or AB speak publicly about a team problem or throw a tantrum, they know a lot more about football than we do...and you side with them? Yet when a HOF quarterback makes public statements and doesn't throw fits on the field....he's an asshole?
    I like and respect you as well along with most everyone on this board, certainly including Mojouw.

I did not defend the conduct of AB - as a matter of fact I said it was indefensible.

I do think pro football players are most likely to know more about football than we do, certainly in terms of what is going on in the locker room and how the team is performing. It is their job they have been mastering since they were teenagers as opposed to what is supposed to be an entertaining diversion for us.

That does not mean it is that difficult for non-players to figure out the game, contrary to the mythology the NFL and its media partners have built up, as I posted last week in response to Cam Newton insulting the female reporter. But if someone decides to denigrate Bell's mental acuity in the context of his knowledge of his profession (not overall measurements of intelligence on non-football matters such as when Ben got lost in the weeds regarding his "evolving" position on anthem protests and boilerplate recitations about brotherhood) rather than just say running backs always want more running plays (as Tomlin did today when asked about Bell's comments) I stand by my response.

As for #7, I do think Ben repeatedly acts like an asshole. He is lucky he escaped criminal prosecution for his conduct in Georgia after his attorneys had done a good job of discrediting his prior accuser in Reno.

Apparently so do a number of his teammates and coaches going back since his rookie season through the fallout from the anthem fiasco. I attribute a lot of the loose talk by Steelers players to the media to the QB constantly shooting his mouth off - fish rots from the head down.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I like and respect you as well along with most everyone on this board, certainly including Mojouw.

I did not defend the conduct of AB - as a matter of fact I said it was indefensible.

I do think pro football players are most likely to know more about football than we do, certainly in terms of what is going on in the locker room and how the team is performing. It is their job they have been mastering since they were teenagers as opposed to what is supposed to be an entertaining diversion for us.

That does not mean it is that difficult for non-players to figure out the game, contrary to the mythology the NFL and its media partners have built up, as I posted last week in response to Cam Newton insulting the female reporter. But if someone decides to denigrate Bell's mental acuity in the context of his knowledge of his profession (not overall measurements of intelligence on non-football matters such as when Ben got lost in the weeds regarding his "evolving" position on anthem protests and boilerplate recitations about brotherhood) rather than just say running backs always want more running plays (as Tomlin did today when asked about Bell's comments) I stand by my response.

As for #7, I do think Ben repeatedly acts like an asshole. He is lucky he escaped criminal prosecution for his conduct in Georgia after his attorneys had done a good job of discrediting his prior accuser in Reno.

Apparently so do a number of his teammates and coaches going back since his rookie season through the fallout from the anthem fiasco. I attribute a lot of the loose talk by Steelers players to the media to the QB constantly shooting his mouth off - fish rots from the head down.

Fair enough. I just wanted a clarification.

I guess that it has always seemed that Ben is the one getting tarred and feathered for everything he does, and the fans just fall all over themselves and dismiss the conduct of stars like AB that from everything I'm hearing privately, and hearing from former players that are still close to the team and played with him....he's a gigantic egomaniac that goes off all the time when the cameras aren't rolling and is a disruptive force. Chris Mortensen was on the Mike and Mike show on ESPN the other day, and said that the Steelers were very nervous about giving him the big contract exactly because of these issues we have been discussing. They gave him the deal, and here we are.

Now Bell seems to be worried about his next contract because of his stats or lack thereof. This after AB was calling for him to show up to camp after he had already gotten his huge deal. He hinted about holding out, and apparently he was pretty loud about his unhappiness within the walls of the Steelers compound and all the threats that go along with that. Then he is telling Bell to show up without a contract for AB's own benefit publicly after he got his money.

There are many things that need to be stamped out and controlled by Tomlin and the organization. After that, the players need to buy into a collective goal and put selfish goals and disruptive talk aside for the greater good. If they can't, then some of the pieces that we all thought would be the stars and cornerstones of the franchise after Ben may not be the pieces that are needed to be successful. They'll have to cross that bridge when they get there.
    Last edited by pczach; 10-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I also respect everyone as well. I will grant that my "moron" comment was likely over the line.

But I stand by the fact that in order to be a great RB does not mean you need to be a great tactician in an overall sense. I will also stand by that star players want the ball all the time. Askk any of them how to fix their team's offensive struggles and it is always to get them the ball more. Not sure that is always the overall best answer.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

"Every day I walk by five Lombardi Trophies, not five rushing titles."

-Cool Shades in response to Fast Willie Parker's complaints about not running the ball enough