Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

So pulling from another thread where a discussion started on whether there's reasons to stay positive, I thought it'd be good to start a new thread on the topic. It is definitely worth asking the question. Personally, my answer is yes, we have lots of reasons to be positive right now. Realize, as I say that, I'm not discounting the horrid performance either of this game, or of the first quarter of the season, but that also does not mean I can't see positive right now. So, in no particular order, here are my reasons for staying positive:

• We are 3-2 after five games and in sole possession of first place in the AFCN. Granted, we have a tied record with the Ravens, but we still are in first by virtue of the tie-breaker. That means we don't have our backs against a wall to figure out the problems immediately or our season tanks. (Yes, I want them figured out immediately, but with another game against the Ravens and two games against the Bengals still to play, we most likely will be in the drivers seat for the division for a while yet, which gives us time to figure things out.

• This is our first real loss. Yes, we're 3-2, I know that. However, this is the first game where the other team beat us as much as we beat ourselves. Now, why is that important, or a reason to be optimistic? See the next point.

• This team has yet to play a single quarter of football as a team. So far, we are getting several good individual performances and a few not so good performances. However, at no point has the whole been better than the sum of its parts, which is what happens when teams play as a team rather than as individuals. Okay, but why does that make me optimistic? Because we're 3-2 on individual effort alone. We are experiences the bottom-limit of what this team can accomplish. Think about that for a second. We are literally at the minimum of ability right now, and we're still in first place. That also means we have a ton of potential still to tap into for this season, and there's no reason to think we won't do it at some point.

• Bell. Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this after what we saw this summer. But today, despite only having 47 yards on the ground, Bell had the speed, burst and vision that makes him so great (he had it last week as well). I expect a breakout performance by him within the next two weeks. And then, we're going to ride that train as far as it'll take us a la the days of the Bus.

• Defense. Coming into this weekend, this defense was in

• 1st place in the entire league in yards per play
    • 1st place in yards allowed per attempted through the air
    • 1st place in drives ending in scores with only 23 percent of drives ending in points
    • 2nd place in total passing yards
    • 2nd place in TDs allowed through the air
    • 3rd place overall in total yards
    • 4th place (tied) in takeaways
    • 7th place (tied) in first downs allowed

• AB. Despite all we're seeing that is bad on offense, AB is still putting up silly numbers every week.

• The Steelers will be at worst, 3-3 in our first six games. Since 2002 (Fifteen years back), this team has only missed the playoffs twice after going 3-3 in the first six. One of those seasons was 2012 when our very old defense simply ran out of gas. There's no reason to expect a repeat of that situation this year. The other was in 2009, which is the season we lost Troy after the first game, and he was out most of the year. Before, that, we have to go all the way back to 2000. That year, the Steelers lost their first three games and also had a bye week after game 1 (and we were still one game away from the playoffs). There's no reason, historically, that 3-3 shouldn't have us competing for the playoffs in the last game. Moreover, historically, this team is a 3-3/4-2 team after six, with only a few seasons peaking at 5-1.

• So far, we only have one loss against an AFC opponent. That bodes very well for us in going forward as it puts us in a good place for tie-breakers.

• Ben. Yes, that's right. Ben. He still has the arm strength, so that's not the problem. And as long as the physical tools are still there, the potential is still there. And, despite what we've seen so far this year, I simply cannot see Ben going through the motions and then calling it quits. He's still way to competitive. Do I think his best days are behind him? Sure. I even started a thread about how the thought of sitting him crossed my mind. However, today aside, even a mediocre Ben is better than over half the QBs in the league. Today was a very bad day. But if we put that aside for a second, Ben has been mediocre this year, and he's still gotten done when he had to. I'll take that for now.

Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

I mean, we're still more than likely to win the division, and the team would still be among the best in the league if the offense ever finds itself. I just have no idea what in the hell it's going to take to make it come together for them.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ben was 24 of 30 within 15 yards of the LOS today.

AB alone had 19 targets today. 10 catches.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1. First place in the AFCN.
    2. Third seed in the playoffs.
    3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
    If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    1. First place in the AFCN.
    2. Third seed in the playoffs.
    3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
    If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.
    What I can't get over is the defense. Really, except for a few gashes (if we take away the long runs! ), the defensive effort of this team has been tremendous.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    What I can't get over is the defense. Really, except for a few gashes (if we take away the long runs! ), the defensive effort of this team has been tremendous.
    Take away the last run (yes, it “counts” ...but, so did Justin Houstin’s TD last week), and the defense gave up 3 points.

The first TD was on a shortened field. Yes, they still could have stopped them, but the INT didn’t help. Ultimately, that is still only 10 points given by the defense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There are plenty of reasons for optimism:

1. 11th in total points allowed. The top team has played on less game. The difference between the 2nd place team and the Steelers is also the # of TDs that Ben has thrown to the opposition.
    2. 1st in pass yards allowed. Basically last in rush yards allowed - so that is a push?
    3. 4th in yards per game allowed
    4. 3rd in sacks
    5. 10th in passes defensed
    6. top 10 in INTS and forced fumbles

That is a pretty solid base to build from for the remainder of the season. The biggest concerns are cleaning up the run defense and why the QB is in a fog. Answer those two and this is a really solid team.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I prefer the term stay realistic. The Steelers are still eligible for the playoffs.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The positive is that this stuff doesn't bother me nearly as bad as it used to

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There are always positives. Even as pissed as I am about this game, there are still plenty of positives. First, we are good enough to beat that team. And we should have beaten them this time. Looking ahead at the marathon season, there are lots to be positive about. Still a long road ahead and anything can happen. We've seen this before.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

God bless you all ! But my glass is still half empty. This team has just so much talent with young runners and young receivers and the coaches just can't find plays to utilize them.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I will Always stay positive. Until we are mathematically eliminated or booted from the playoffs I will always think this team has a chance to win it all. Before you guys accuse me I will come out and say it myself. Yes, I do wear black and gold glasses. I do drink the black and gold Kool-Aid and I always will

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The positive is that this stuff doesn't bother me nearly as bad as it used to

Great. Would being negative about it really help anyways?

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Well, this team was built to beat the Patriots. Let's see what happens against the Chiefs this week.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Great. Would being negative about it really help anyways?
    No but it takes a few years to figure that out

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

Yes. This team is still very, very good. They are, mentally, in a dark place right now. They need to gel and bond as one first and foremost. The locker room separation or whatever is going on has to be put behind them. then they all need to ask themselves if they really want to be there and if they are serious. If they can do that and begin executing and playing to their talents, this team can roll. All they need to do is make the playoffs and have their shit together. Could be a big ask though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

They should have most issues figured out by week 10 at the latest. As long as they don't completely lay an egg before then, they should be fine.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's only football and it can't get much worse. Ben should personally refund every ticket holder.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Ive lost faith in this team...these guys are suppose to be professionals...if they cant figure it out then they sont.need to be playing. Also, tomlin being a players' coach bites them all in the ass cause they dont see any repercussions in playing badly.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Sorry for the typo

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Maybe they ought to have Mr. Rooney come in the locker room and give a 'family' speech for himself and say a few things his father and grandfather would've said. Explain the Rooney's thoughts and beliefs. The family tradition. The fundamentals. Lay everything on the line about being a STEELER and wearing the BLACK/GOLD. Apparently Tomlin or none of the other coaches know how to pump it up in the locker room. Apparently none of the coaches know anything about being a Steeler and the family unity that comes with wearing the Black/Gold. That there are no 'me' problems, just 'team' problems....and the team together helps correct it. Even if 1 player is having an issue, the team helps to correct it. I've been a fan a long, long time. There have been ups/downs in this organization before. But the problem is dealt with from within. The coaches settle inside, with the Rooney's overseeing. I'm really not sure the coaches have that type of handle or control as of now and you can see the team is all heading in different directions.

I watched the Taperiots commit back-to-back personal fouls when the clock had expired before the half, giving the Buccaneers 30 yards and an unearned attempt at a FG. (Folk missed the FG, but that's not the point.)

Has Belichick lost his ability to coach?
    Are his players just mailing it in?
    Should they give up on the season???

I know, I know: Belichick has turned it around before. He's the greatest. Once they figure it all out, they'll be fine.

But, so has Tomlin. And, while Tomlin isn't the "greatest", he is indeed the third winningest coach over the past decade. Lastly, our talent (if it ever gels) is far greater than that of the Taperiots.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Realistically they could finish 9-7 and still get the #3 seed, with how weak the AFC North and South is this year

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Realistically they could finish 9-7 and still get the #3 seed, with how weak the AFC North and South is this year
    Bingo!!!

Aside from the Chiefs, everyone is kind of "meh".

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Maybe they ought to have Mr. Rooney come in the locker room and give a 'family' speech for himself and say a few things his father and grandfather would've said. Explain the Rooney's thoughts and beliefs. The family tradition. The fundamentals. Lay everything on the line about being a STEELER and wearing the BLACK/GOLD. Apparently Tomlin or none of the other coaches know how to pump it up in the locker room. Apparently none of the coaches know anything about being a Steeler and the family unity that comes with wearing the Black/Gold. That there are no 'me' problems, just 'team' problems....and the team together helps correct it. Even if 1 player is having an issue, the team helps to correct it. I've been a fan a long, long time. There have been ups/downs in this organization before. But the problem is dealt with from within. The coaches settle inside, with the Rooney's overseeing. I'm really not sure the coaches have that type of handle or control as of now and you can see the team is all heading in different directions.
    The important meaning of what it is to be a Pittsburgh Steeler may have died with Dan's passing this year. Some of the players are there just for the paycheck and could care less about a legacy or pride. Looks like there was less preparation this week than last week and they got burned.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I don't care what anyone else does, but I'm going to remain positive because that's how I roll. If someone wants to wallow in misery, that's on them.

One of the problems these days is that people want instant gratification.

This team will get its' shit together, and it's going to be glorious when they do.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

no reasons to stay positive, season is pretty much over at 3-2

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I still think we got a good chance to win a Superbowl but Ben needs to have a come To Jesus talk with someone he respects. Which probably ain't Tomlin or Hailey. Hey Bruce Arians help your buddy Ben out!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I still think we got a good chance to win a Superbowl but Ben needs to have a come To Jesus talk with someone he respects.
    This is the best comment I've seen yet on the issue. Wonder if he picks up the phone to an old QB coach or Chaz batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'll just say, it seems like every year this team always goes through bad stretches and they turn it around.

Will they do so now with the way Ben has looked? We'll see.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh