Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Are There Reasons to Stay Positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I don't care what anyone else does, but I'm going to remain positive because that's how I roll. If someone wants to wallow in misery, that's on them.

One of the problems these days is that people want instant gratification.

This team will get its' shit together, and it's going to be glorious when they do.
    Absolutely, they will get their shit together. I really hope we get to quote all of these "it's over" folks, when the Steelers get back up on their feet and start kicking ass again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’ll beat KC this week by a lot and then lose 17-16 to the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see the opposite happening. I see us losing another head scratcher in KC, then turn around and put 40 on the Bengals. Otherwise how can the 'beat bad teams but lose to elite teams' threads continue?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’ll beat KC this week by a lot and then lose 17-16 to the Bengals.
    I can't see the Steelers beating the Chiefs. This team is going downhill. The players don't know their assignments. It's a coaching problem. If the throw it up and pray scheme works then they could have a chance of winning.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Ben is by far the biggest factor with regard to how this season plays out.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I can't see the Steelers beating the Chiefs. This team is going downhill. The players don't know their assignments. It's a coaching problem. If the throw it up and pray scheme works then they could have a chance of winning.
    I don't see us winning this week either. It's not a capable of winning issue, it's will they put it together enough to win issue, IMO. I don't think they are there just yet. Last year we had to fall to 4-5 before the team woke up. This team has the talent, just waiting on the drive to kick in.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Ben is by far the biggest factor with regard to how this season plays out.
    Yep.

Even if all of the other negatives remained, if BB plays like we know he can, we’d be 5-0 and a legitimate #1 seed.

Heck, even converting 50% of the red-zone trips into TDs would be a vast improvement.

Because, as it is, we are 3-2 and the #3 seed... despite BB not playing a single game as we all know that he can.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep.

Even if all of the other negatives remained, if BB plays like we know he can, we’d be 5-0 and a legitimate #1 seed.

Heck, even converting 50% of the red-zone trips into TDs would be a vast improvement.

Because, as it is, we are 3-2 and the #3 seed... despite BB not playing a single game as we all know that he can.
    Pre Ben 2017 could certainly be better. Ben 2017 has yet to prove that he can crank it up. That Father time cliff is an ugly precipice. One minute you feel like you are driving a Cadillac, and the next you realize you are driving a Pinto.

I hope I am wrong, but 5/16th of the season is in the books and Ben has not been anywhere near a pre 2017 Ben.

And BTW, has Harrison even played a snap this year?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Pre Ben 2017 could certainly be better. Ben 2017 has yet to prove that he can crank it up. That Father time cliff is an ugly precipice. One minute you feel like you are driving a Cadillac, and the next you realize you are driving a Pinto.

I hope I am wrong, but 5/16th of the season is in the books and Ben has not been anywhere near a pre 2017 Ben.

And BTW, has Harrison even played a snap this year?

jhharrison92What my game day uniform looks like these days😂😂

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Harrison has repeatedly been inactive because he does not play special teams.

Dupree and Watt have been dressing as the OLB starters.
    Chickilo gets a hat as the primary back-up.
    Moats goes over Harrison because he is the LT on certain special teams formations.

Following the present plan, the Steelers will not make Harrison a game day active until there is an injury at the LB position.

Agree or disagree, that is what the pattern has been.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Moats goes over Harrison because he is the LT on certain special teams formations.

Following the present plan, the Steelers will not make Harrison a game day active until there is an injury at the LB position.

Not a question of pattern. One must surmise that the coaches believe that Harrison is not an improvement over their starting LBs. Another athlete that has been bitten by Father Time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post

Using a similar analogy, it’s like having a 2005 Mustang. It’s fast, and awesome. 13 year’s later, it can still be fast, but it requires a ton of maintainence.

Then, the clutch goes out on the same day that the radiator explodes.

I’m hoping that repairs can be made, plus a little extra attention be given to how/when we drive it at top speed... and we can get one more year out of this old beauty.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This is probably the best "reason to stay positive" article thats ever going to be on this thread: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...ne-since-1980/

-Big Ben's bad game was the 153rd time a QB had a 5 interception game. He's the 108th different player to do so
    -He's actually the 4th Steelers QB to do so (Dick Shiner, Terry Bradshaw, and Mark Malone being the others)
    -Bradshaw did it twice during the Steel Curtain era. The Steelers actually won the Superbowl in 1979 when he had one of those 5 interception games

-The other quarterbacks to have a 5 interception game AND win the superbowl in the same season: Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, Johnny Unitas, and Jim Plunkett
    -4 out of 5 of those are hall of famers...Ben is a future 1st ballot hall of famer

Summary: Crazier stuff has happened. Ben will be beyond legendary if he pulls it off to cap off his career
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Andy Benoit of MMQB comes not to bury Ben but to praise him

After a good walk through of what happened on each INT, Benoit makes these observations

The third interception is the one we can dissect. Fowler’s pressure made Roethlisberger hasten his delivery, compromising some of his control. Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer because he has a history of making unbelievable pinpoint throws downfield, under pressure. Would a 30-year-old Roethlisberger have had enough raw arm strength to make a better throw off a hastened delivery? Would a 25-year-old Roethlisberger tried to shake Fowler and extend the play before throwing? Maybe; we can’t know any of this for sure. But, for the sake of discussion, let’s say the answers is yes, a younger Roethlisberger would have found a way to make that play. Fine. But what about this game’s positive plays?

Roethlisberger had a half-dozen solid, nondescript plays on which the defense was identified before the snap and the ball was out right on time. A younger Roethlisberger would not have made those plays. This is Exhibit B for Roethlisberger’s a Hall of Fame candidacy: He’s the most evolved quarterback of his era. His elevated football IQ and discipline have turned the Steelers into one of the league’s most diverse offenses, while also extending Roethlisberger’s career. He takes far fewer hits than in his sandlot playmaking days, and he’s a more efficient all-around player.

If Roethlisberger’s physical attributes are diminishing—and that’s a big if; he made multiple strong-armed throws in the Jacksonville game that beat quality coverage, including an 18-yard deep-out to Antonio Brown on third-and-12 versus terrific double-team man coverage—Roethlisberger’s evolution can carry him another few years.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/11/be...nymore-decline

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Using a similar analogy, it’s like having a 2005 Mustang. It’s fast, and awesome. 13 year’s later, it can still be fast, but it requires a ton of maintainence.

Then, the clutch goes out on the same day that the radiator explodes.

I’m hoping that repairs can be made, plus a little extra attention be given to how/when we drive it at top speed... and we can get one more year out of this old beauty.
    Screw that! First, it's a 1967 Mustang. Now, when the clutch goes out and the radiator blows, all it means is that it's time for another restomod. We start by dropping in a 427 CID Crate Engine and upgrading the . . . oh wait, you're using one of those metaforks. Aren't you?

Show off.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Screw that! First, it's a 1967 Mustang. Now, when the clutch goes out and the radiator blows, all it means is that it's time for another restomod. We start by dropping in a 427 CID Crate Engine and upgrading the . . . oh wait, you're using one of those metaforks. Aren't you?

Show off.
    You win!!!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

How many people jumped back on the bandwagon this week?

I think somebody said something about an NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint, but they were probably a coach or something......so what do they know.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

^

From everyone but us "rah-rah" fans.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    ^

From everyone but us "rah-rah" fans.
    ....lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't see us winning this week either. It's not a capable of winning issue, it's will they put it together enough to win issue, IMO. I don't think they are there just yet. Last year we had to fall to 4-5 before the team woke up. This team has the talent, just waiting on the drive to kick in.
    Glad to eat crow today.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    How many people jumped back on the bandwagon this week?

I think somebody said something about an NFL season is a marathon and not a sprint, but they were probably a coach or something......so what do they know.
    If Ben ever starts getting more than AB involved in the passing game........ and we convert in the RZ........ watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Glad to eat crow today.
    Much respect for you to man up and eat some crow. Probably goes good with side of fries and gravy. Smells like victory!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Ben ever starts getting more than AB involved in the passing game........ and we convert in the RZ........ watch out!
    I think a healthy O line and a game ready LeVeon Bell does wonders for opening up the RZ. Methinks Benny will use more of JuJu as the weeks go on and Bell will see his receptions climb. Vance McDonald will get more targets too, but drop 15% of them. Did you see how shaky his reception was yesterday?? Looked like he was wearing boxing gloves and trying to catch.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Did you see how shaky his reception was yesterday?? Looked like he was wearing boxing gloves and trying to catch.
    It was the first time since college that he actually CAUGHT a pass! He wasn't sure what it would feel like.

How about McDonald actually completing a catch for a much needed first down! JJ was still whiffing on blocks though.

• Bell. Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this after what we saw this summer. But today, despite only having 47 yards on the ground, Bell had the speed, burst and vision that makes him so great (he had it last week as well). I expect a breakout performance by him within the next two weeks. And then, we're going to ride that train as far as it'll take us a la the days of the Bus.

• Defense. Coming into this weekend, this defense was in

• 1st place in the entire league in yards per play
    • 1st place in yards allowed per attempted through the air
    • 1st place in drives ending in scores with only 23 percent of drives ending in points
    • 2nd place in total passing yards
    • 2nd place in TDs allowed through the air
    • 3rd place overall in total yards
    • 4th place (tied) in takeaways
    • 7th place (tied) in first downs allowed

So... Break out game? Check. Defense shutting down the other team for a good portion of the game? Check. Yep, there's reasons to be positive!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

• Defense. Coming into this weekend, this defense was in

[LIST]
    [*=1]1st place in the entire league in yards per play
    [*=1]1st place in yards allowed per attempted through the air
    [*=1]1st place in drives ending in scores with only 23 percent of drives ending in points
    The fact that were 1st in drives ending in scores despite our offense's inability to sustain drives is really promising. If we can start sustaining those drives this team can reach some seriously green pastures
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

The way this defense is coming together is a big reason to stay positive.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Which shouldn't matter. The best run defender and pass rusher should be playing. The Steelers STs is average as of now so it makes no sense to have the defense suffer. Plus, Harrison can play STs. He has done it before, many times.

the Steelers will not make Harrison a game day active until there is an injury at the LB position
    Which means the run defense and pass rush will suffer.

Deactivate the lazy ass Dupree.
    Hater = Realist