Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin On Roethlisberger: ‘He’s Not Playing Well

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tomlin On Roethlisberger: ‘He’s Not Playing Well

The Pittsburgh Steelers were drubbed 30-9 by the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday at Heinz Field in a game that featured quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throwing a career-high five interceptions, of which two were returned for touchdowns.
    After the game, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was asked if Roethlisberger is now taking any risks that he hasn’t done before.
    “He’s not playing well, man, I’ll let him speak for him,” Tomlin said.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...-playing-well/

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Tomlin On Roethlisberger: ‘He’s Not Playing Well

Tomlin is coaching about as well as Ben played, this team has more problems than just Ben

BurghBoy412

No shit Mike!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    No shit Mike!!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Nice!!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

As I said weeks ago.....this is NOT a good team. All the talent is wasted. Coaching and play calling pathetic. No discipline. A constant down hill slide.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    As I said weeks ago.....this is NOT a good team. All the talent is wasted. Coaching and play calling pathetic. No discipline. A constant down hill slide.
    Discipline is a major issue with this team...as much as I hate to agree with bradshaw but maybe tomlin is nothing but a cheerleader!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    So we are like the Bengals but just a little better.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What discipline issue us it? Discipline is a lazy cliche.

Guys aren't throwing punches or getting unsportsmanlike penalties. Rex Ryan teams are undisciplined.

This Steekera team fails to execute the plays being called. More often than not the coaches have put them in position to succeed. Then one or more of the following happens

The QB screws up
    The receiver drops the ball
    The backup o line of the week commits a penalty.

That's not lack of discipline. That's just being shitty at your job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What discipline issue us it? Discipline is a lazy cliche.

Guys aren't throwing punches or getting unsportsmanlike penalties. Rex Ryan teams are undisciplined.

This Steekera team fails to execute the plays being called. More often than not the coaches have put them in position to succeed. Then one or more of the following happens

The QB screws up
    The receiver drops the ball
    The backup o line of the week commits a penalty.

That's not lack of discipline. That's just being shitty at your job.

When players fail to wrap up on a tackle week in and week out, it points to team disipline.
    When players commit way too many penalties at home, it points to team disipline.
    When players jump up and celebrate a tackle after a nine yard game, it points to team disipline.
    These are just a few things that these Mike Tomlin coached teams do and have done for several seasons now. The points i made are not opinion they are fact, its a sad reality for me and quite a few other fans. I was a huge Mike Tomlin fan up to the point he thought he could get away with an attempted trip of a player on Primetime Television, that really upset me. I'm not saying Mike Tomlin is a terrible coach or a cheat but what i will say is that he was gifted a group of guys who were at the top and its very difficult to duplicate that but he has managed to coach a group that looks to a large percentage of fans as undisciplined.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    When players fail to wrap up on a tackle week in and week out, it points to team disipline.
    When players commit way too many penalties at home, it points to team disipline.
    When players jump up and celebrate a tackle after a nine yard game, it points to team disipline.
    These are just a few things that these Mike Tomlin coached teams do and have done for several seasons now. The points i made are not opinion they are fact, its a sad reality for me and quite a few other fans. I was a huge Mike Tomlin fan up to the point he thought he could get away with an attempted trip of a player on Primetime Television, that really upset me. I'm not saying Mike Tomlin is a terrible coach or a cheat but what i will say is that he was gifted a group of guys who were at the top and its very difficult to duplicate that but he has managed to coach a group that looks to a large percentage of fans as undisciplined.
    If your boss lays out a clear set of expectations, provides you with a SOP manual for your job, and then offers you repeated attempts to practice your assigned tasks prior to be being evaluated AND you still shit the bed, is that your boss's fault?

I mean at some point the players have to take advantage of the positions for success that the coaching staff puts them in.

If Haley is such a bad play caller and his scheme is so terrible, how is Antonio Brown wide open so often? Point is that AB works hard and takes advantage of the positions the team/coaching staff puts him in. Eli Rogers does not. Juju seems kinda sorta about to be. McDonald does not. I could go on. But I think I've made my perspective clear.

Not sure it is right, but its my 2 cents.

If your boss lays out a clear set of expectations, provides you with a SOP manual for your job, and then offers you repeated attempts to practice your assigned tasks prior to be being evaluated AND you still shit the bed, is that your boss's fault?

I mean at some point the players have to take advantage of the positions for success that the coaching staff puts them in.

If Haley is such a bad play caller and his scheme is so terrible, how is Antonio Brown wide open so often? Point is that AB works hard and takes advantage of the positions the team/coaching staff puts him in. Eli Rogers does not. Juju seems kinda sorta about to be. McDonald does not. I could go on. But I think I've made my perspective clear.

Not sure it is right, but its my 2 cents.
    I agree, if you are given the opportunity to sucseed by your superior and knock it out of the park kudos to you for excelling. We are talkung about different players over a period of 10 season s failing to wrap up on tackles ect. I will not blame Haley, i will Blame the Steelers for talking Ben out of retirement and Tomlin for allowing different players to commit the same mistakes.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

But will Tomlin have the balls to step up and do something?

No.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

No.
    What's he gonna do? Bench him and start Jones??

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

what do you propose Tomlin do? Or do you want to just offer clever commentary?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

what do you propose Tomlin do? Or do you want to just offer clever commentary?
    Steeler fans won't like this, but maybe a benching. A gamble. Something to get going.

But lets be honest here, Landry is garbage and Dobbs is unproven. So Tomlin doesn't really have much of a choice. Something has to get going.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Tomlin and Haley hand out these “manuals” and expectations and every week this season, it’s been shoddy play. At what point do the “manuals and expectations” get questioned? It’s impossible that how poorly they are playing can all fall on the players not executing or following the “manual”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

QB is missing open receivers. Is overthrowing wide open looks. Is audibling out of run plays to passes anytime a safety twitches pre snap. Etc.

The whole week all I heard was how Ben missed a wide open AB. You realize that was a genius play design?

Repeatedly Steelers players are being put in positions to succeed and are failing to seize that opportunity.

For me that is on the player. Way I see it, the defensive scheme gets you in position to miss the tackle. The player misses the tackle all on their own.

Tomlin can't tackle for the players. He tried that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You can pick examples on every drive of every game but it doesn’t all fall on the players. The play calling has been awful and if it’s in the plan to let Ben audible out of plays into something else, either that audible is bad or maybe the “manual” should no longer let Ben audible out of it.

If you kept making bad decisions at work, eventually your boss would either take that job away from you or not allow you to make decisions without his approval. If he continued to let you make bad decisions and did nothing to rectify it, your bosses, boss may come down on him and he’d be held accountable.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Did the Steelers even play 10 good quarters so far this season? There is something going on in the locker room that has not been made public. I think some of it is from the Chicago nonsense. I think Ben would rather be somewhere else on Sundays now.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Did the Steelers even play 10 good quarters so far this season? There is something going on in the locker room that has not been made public. I think some of it is from the Chicago nonsense. I think Ben would rather be somewhere else on Sundays now.
    It’s been made public. Brown is pissed about the Chicago thing. He wanted to kneel along with some others, Ben didn’t want to kneel, they decided to do what they did and then AV went out and did something totally different without anyone knowing. There’s a split in the locker room and that was a big influence on ABs hissy fit on the sidelines as he thinks Ben snubbed him on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s been made public. Brown is pissed about the Chicago thing. He wanted to kneel along with some others, Ben didn’t want to kneel, they decided to do what they did and then AV went out and did something totally different without anyone knowing. There’s a split in the locker room and that was a big influence on ABs hissy fit on the sidelines as he thinks Ben snubbed him on purpose.
    Has any legitimate outlet presented this information? I usually vacuum up all the Steelers news I can find. Would love to see this story.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Has any legitimate outlet presented this information? I usually vacuum up all the Steelers news I can find. Would love to see this story.

Jason La Canfora CBS - not a blogger in his basement

Brown has been at odds with quarterback and team captain Ben Roethlisberger recently in the aftermath of a highly-charged series of events dating back to the Steelers' decision to stay off the sidelines for the national anthem in Chicago two weeks ago. Roethlisberger spearheaded a decision to reverse course and have the players remain in the tunnel rather than on the sidelines as originally intended, which was the topic of an emotional team meeting the following day. During that meeting, sources said, Brown expressed his displeasure with how Roethlisberger and others handled the matter, and there was some lingering resentment through the week.

Sources said Brown has felt strongly the urge to kneel in protest during the anthem, but the Steelers have been in unison standing or remaining off the field during the playing of it. Sunday, when the quarterback did not throw to him early in the game,when he was wide open for a possible TD, Brown took it personally and believed it was related to his recent dispute with Roethlisberger, according to the sources, which led to his sideline blow-up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...them-decision/

La Canfora also had his name on the earlier story that some Steelers were upset with Ben about how he handled the fallout from the anthem fiasco

Roethlisberger ticked off some teammates when he produced a personal public statement Monday on his website expressing regret for how the team handled the protest before teammates like decorated former Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva had addressed the matter first.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...t-was-handled/

So someone on the team is talking to La Canfora

Of course La Canfora had to walk back his story this week that Colin Kaepernick would stand for the anthem if signed, so who knows what his Steelers source(s) actually told La Canfora about what is going on

A CBS sports writer who said Sunday that Colin Kaepernick would stand for the national anthem if he signed with another NFL team is now saying he never asked the quarterback about the issue.... "Standing for Anthem wasn't something that I spoke to Colin about," La Canfora wrote in a series of tweets he said were meant to "clarify" his report. "I relayed what had been reported about him standing in the future."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/medi...ick/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Jason La Canfora CBS - not a blogger in his basement

Brown has been at odds with quarterback and team captain Ben Roethlisberger recently in the aftermath of a highly-charged series of events dating back to the Steelers' decision to stay off the sidelines for the national anthem in Chicago two weeks ago. Roethlisberger spearheaded a decision to reverse course and have the players remain in the tunnel rather than on the sidelines as originally intended, which was the topic of an emotional team meeting the following day. During that meeting, sources said, Brown expressed his displeasure with how Roethlisberger and others handled the matter, and there was some lingering resentment through the week.

Sources said Brown has felt strongly the urge to kneel in protest during the anthem, but the Steelers have been in unison standing or remaining off the field during the playing of it. Sunday, when the quarterback did not throw to him early in the game,when he was wide open for a possible TD, Brown took it personally and believed it was related to his recent dispute with Roethlisberger, according to the sources, which led to his sideline blow-up.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...them-decision/

La Canfora also had his name on the earlier story that some Steelers were upset with Ben about how he handled the fallout from the anthem fiasco

Roethlisberger ticked off some teammates when he produced a personal public statement Monday on his website expressing regret for how the team handled the protest before teammates like decorated former Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva had addressed the matter first.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...t-was-handled/

So someone on the team is talking to La Canfora

Of course La Canfora had to walk back his story this week that Colin Kaepernick would stand for the anthem if signed, so who knows what his Steelers source(s) actually told La Canfora about what is going on

A CBS sports writer who said Sunday that Colin Kaepernick would stand for the national anthem if he signed with another NFL team is now saying he never asked the quarterback about the issue.... "Standing for Anthem wasn't something that I spoke to Colin about," La Canfora wrote in a series of tweets he said were meant to "clarify" his report. "I relayed what had been reported about him standing in the future."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/medi...ick/index.html
    Interesting. Totally missed this. Surprised that LaCanfora is the only one who has it. Makes my spidey sense tingle...

Laconfora tweeted it out on Sunday or Monday with a link to some story. Not sure how legit it is but it makes sense why AB would be so animated for one missed read.

Edit: whoops....didn’t see you found it already.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I don't think Ben likes what the NFL has become.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I don't think Ben likes what the NFL has become.
    It appears it is no longer one of the most important parts of his life based on not just the retirement talk but his comments about the season taking time he could be spending with his family - priorities change at different stages of life

If you are financially set for life (if Ben is not he has bigger problems than 5 INTs this past Sunday) and would rather be doing something else while legitimately concerned about the long term consequences of continuing to play then it probably is time to go

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

maybe we should pepper in more screen plays

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

In my opinion there are a HELL of alot of people NOT PLAYING WELL or doing their job. Tomlin not coaching well (doing his job), Haley calling terrible play's and not knowing when to call run/pass plays ( terrible OC), player's missing and/or not making tackles, dropping balls, offensive line not blocking/protecting QB, CB not covering receivers ( 3rd and longs and they give 1st downs), etc., etc.. Yea Tomlin, blame the season so far on Ben.....you asshole ! I agree, Ben isn't an elite QB now (was he ever?), and he's definitely having problems, but Mikey boy, you've been getting a ride for awhile now also.