Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

It was a spur of the moment thought. One of those thoughts a person has and quickly dismisses as random and coming from nowhere like when you're laying in bed at night almost asleep and the thought of your naked Grandmother riding bareback across the plains while the West was being won shoots through your head. It's a thought you immediately dismiss and never want to have again. But, unfortunately, this time the thought lingered a little longer.

Now, I know, who would we put in? Landry Jones? We're admitting defeat if we do that. Dobbs? He might have a future in the NFL, but not if we throw him to the wolves his rookie year. He is not Ben R. a la 1994. So, I'd rather stay with a struggling Ben. However, it is difficult to shake the unsettling feeling that not only did that stray thought cross my mind, but it had a legitimate reason to do so.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

Chuck Noll: "If you're thinking about retiring, you've already retired." If I'm Art II I'd be watching college football and looking for a vet QB starting today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I've been thinking about similar things (not naked grandmas, but moving on...). Everyone likes to talk about coaches not instilling discipline. Since this isn't a high-school JV team, I don't think having guys take a few laps or run suicides is really going to have an impact. All I can think of is to bench some guys. That being said...

...Can you really bench the starting QB? I mean obviously you can, but what does that get you? Either a week of Landry Jones - that's an L. Or a week of Dobbs that is likley an L and potentially crushing to his development.

I mean there is a version of this, that following the same logic as was used to bench Eli Rogers, you bench the following guys:

Ben R - 5 picks and just poor execution overall
    Dupree - can't seem to stay in his gap, like ever.
    Davis - safety play has been unimpressive and I'm giving Mitchell a pass because of injury
    Hunter - runs lazy crap routes whenever he rarely gets on the field
    Hubbard - if Hawkins is healthy, why not?

But, like I said in the other thread, I don't think you can bench the QB at this point. It basically tells the rest of the team that you aren't trying to win.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It was a spur of the moment thought. One of those thoughts a person has and quickly dismisses as random and coming from nowhere. Like when you're laying in bed at night almost asleep and the thought of your naked Grandmother riding bareback across the plains while the West was being won shoots threw your head. it's a thought you immediately dismiss and never want to have again. But, unfortunately, this time the thought lingered a little longer.

Now, I know, who would we put in? Landry Jones? We're admitting defeat if we do that. Dobbs? He might have a future in the NFL, but not if we throw him to the wolves his rookie year. He is not Ben R. a la 1994. So, I'd rather stay with a struggling Ben. However, it is difficult to shake the unsettling feeling that not only did that stray thought cross my mind, but it had a legitimate reason to do so.
    We are screwed this year and live and die with Ben. Why I made a post for trading for a good back up / possible starter like Hoyer or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But, like I said in the other thread, I don't think you can bench the QB at this point. It basically tells the rest of the team that you aren't trying to win.
    I'm not sure about that as much as I think we just don't have the ability to right now. That, and Ben is a veteran. By that I mean, benching him isn't going accomplish anything unless he's injured or his head just isn't in the game. Even so, I still trust Ben the way he's playing now more than I do Landry Jones. And, while I'd love to see Dobbs get a shot, I sincerely do not believe he is ready at the moment. Maybe that's what you mean by telling the team you aren't trying to win.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I would love to have a QB like Rivers now and that old dog has fire and wants to win in the worse way. We need to find someone like that! Would love a trade for Rivers next season and would willing to give up a 1 for him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What a tool.

After Sunday’s brutal showing Roethlisberger reportedly said facetiously “maybe I don’t have it any more.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...-playing-well/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What a tool.

After Sunday’s brutal showing Roethlisberger reportedly said facetiously “maybe I don’t have it any more.”

Ben's attitude is really starting to piss me off. I really don't want to get pissed off at such an important player in Steelers history, but it's hard to not get pissed at him with this combined with calling out receivers on numerous occasions since the championship game

What a tool.

Seriously though I want a qb that enjoys the game and wants to win. Ben hasn't been enthused in years and typical bs from him.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

What a tool.

When the interview is available online it sometimes is helpful to watch the original source material

I am by no means the biggest Roethlisberger fan on this board but I thought he was pretty contrite overall - the "maybe I don't have it anymore comment" (question that prompted that comment is garbled) is early in the linked video (could not embed)

http://www.steelers.com/videos/video...d-785d7020b799

FWIW this is the lead to the ESPN story on Ben's comments

Ben Roethlisberger pointed the blame directly at himself Sunday after his five interceptions against the Jacksonville Jaguars, arguably his worst game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.When discussing what's holding the offense back, Roethlisberger said after the 30-9 loss, "Maybe I don't have it anymore."
    It was more a stream-of-consciousness moment than a declaration, but the 14-year veteran clearly was affected by the brutal outing.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nville-jaguars

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    When the interview is available online it sometimes is helpful to watch the original source material

I am by no means the biggest Roethlisberger fan on this board but I thought he was pretty contrite overall - the "maybe I don't have it anymore comment" is early in the linked video (could not embed)

http://www.steelers.com/videos/video...d-785d7020b799

FWIW this is the lead to the ESPN story on Ben's comments

Ben Roethlisberger pointed the blame directly at himself Sunday after his five interceptions against the Jacksonville Jaguars, arguably his worst game as a Pittsburgh Steeler.When discussing what's holding the offense back, Roethlisberger said after the 30-9 loss, "Maybe I don't have it anymore."
    It was more a stream-of-consciousness moment than a declaration, but the 14-year veteran clearly was affected by the brutal outing.
    I did see the video, but Ben is one who gives short quip answers when its on him and long spotlight problem solving when its on others.

Anyhow bet the farm on Pitt next week over KC. Spread wise anyways!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I did see the video, but Ben is one who gives short quip answers when its on him and long spotlight problem solving when its on others.
    Did you hear the question that prompted the comment (I did not) - his responses to everything else was I need to play better

We are talking about an AP reporter who used the "facetiously" comment in a tweet who probably is measured in part by how many followers and replies he gets on twitter - he needs to stir the pot

BurghBoy412

What a tool.

There's the "poor Ben" moment I was waiting for. F**k you Ben! I'm sick of his condescending, arrogant bullshit. It's hard to believe his teammates aren't tired of the same shit. Go ahead and take an extra day off this week. We all know you'll use it to feel sorry for yourself. Ben Roethlisberger is by far the most selfish player on this team. Ben isn't a winner anymore. He's a whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Did you hear the question that prompted the comment (I did not) - his responses to everything else was I need to play better

We are talking about an AP reporter who used the "facetiously" comment in a tweet who probably is measured in part by how many followers and replies he gets on twitter - he needs to stir the pot

Yes, the reporter ask *if he was doing anything differently under center * Sounded like an honest question to me. I think *facetiously* fits here.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    There's the "poor Ben" moment I was waiting for. F**k you Ben! I'm sick of his condescending, arrogant bullshit. It's hard to believe his teammates aren't tired of the same shit. Go ahead and take an extra day off this week. We all know you'll use it to feel sorry for yourself. Ben Roethlisberger is by far the most selfish player on this team. Ben isn't a winner anymore. He's a whiner.
    Careful don't talk bad of the best Steeler QB ever and posters will hate ya. Wait they already do so feel free to do so lol.

Yes, the reporter ask *if he was doing anything differently under center * Sounded like an honest question to me. I think *facetiously* fits here.
    Thanks

In terms of off the field actions I will rank this as less of a cluster than the anthem fiasco or the radio show comments about AB - none of which are as significant as Ben's play having slipped significantly

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Careful don't talk bad of the best Steeler QB ever and posters will hate ya. Wait they already do so feel free to do so lol.
    When you speak the truth most people won't/ don't like you. It's ok. I'm done living in this fantasy land when it comes to Ben. Why do people defend him to the death? Is Ben some kind of great humanitarian? No he's an asshole. Has been his whole career. Let's go ahead and defend him and act like he's some great human being. If he didn't play football for my favorite team I wouldn't give a rats ass about him. Hopefully our next franchise QB will be a great player and human being. Not some selfish, self absorbed prick who's only contribution to this world is winning some football games.

When you speak the truth most people won't/ don't like you. It's ok. I'm done living in this fantasy land when it comes to Ben. Why do people defend him to the death? Is Ben some kind of great humanitarian? No he's an asshole. Has been his whole career. Let's go ahead and defend him and act like he's some great human being. If he didn't play football for my favorite team I wouldn't give a rats ass about him. Hopefully our next franchise QB will be a great player and human being. Not some selfish, self absorbed prick who's only contribution to this world is winning some football games.
    Well said and the Ben defenders are on here now blaming the coaches and etc for Ben's worst game ever! They can't realize right now Bortles maybe better then him.

BurghBoy412

Well said and the Ben defenders are on here now blaming the coaches and etc for Ben's worst game ever! They can't realize right now Bortles maybe better then him.
    Blaming anyone but Ben for this loss is pure insanity.

Blaming anyone but Ben for this loss is pure insanity.
    But it's happening but not amazed they still defend him.

BurghBoy412

But it's happening but not amazed they still defend him.
    To each his own I suppose..

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum as I believe we have the talent to win the Lombardi.

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

BurghBoy412

Turnovers anyone??

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I won't take anything away from what he's done as a Steeler, but it looked today like his heart isn't in the game any more. I too, for the first time, thought Ben should have been benched. He has one more week to straighten up and if he doesn't then it's time for change. Could be some cloudy days ahead for Steelers fans.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum.

We have the talent to win the Lombardi.
    How much have you had to drink today my friend??

To each his own I suppose..
    Yep and have a good week ahead Bro. I really believe we beat KC.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

How much have you had to drink today my friend??
    I agree with Blount. The sky still isn't falling. We're lucky the other teams in the division are struggling. Time is ticking though.

BurghBoy412

Yep and have a good week ahead Bro. I really believe we beat KC.
    I believe it! Go Steelers!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I agree with Blount. The sky still isn't falling. We're lucky the other teams in the division are struggling. Time is ticking though.
    The sky isn't falling. It already fell.