Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Re: For the First Time Ever, *that* Thought Crossed My Mind—Bench Ben.

We are 3-2 and winning the division. Those are facts. Ben's play is alarming, but there's a lot of season left to pick it up. Ben isn't showing any signs of that, but you gotta stay optimistic.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    We are 3-2 and winning the division. Those are facts. Ben's play is alarming, but there's a lot of season left to pick it up. Ben isn't showing any signs of that, but you gotta stay optimistic.
    I'm compelled to stay optimistic. Is that so? Why? What has this team shown that warrants optimism? Do you really believe they're good enough to play with the best teams? Do you really believe Ben is going to magically turn it around? Do you really believe the play calling and game planning will all of the sudden become sound? Be realistic.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    The sky isn't falling. It already fell.
    Then why bother? Just a glutton for punishment?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'm compelled to stay optimistic. Is that so? Why? What has this team shown that warrants optimism? Do you really believe they're good enough to play with the best teams? Do you really believe Ben is going to magically turn it around? Do you really believe the play calling and game planning will all of the sudden become sound? Be realistic.
    I'm optimistic because of the facts. We're healthy and winning the division at the 1/4 point of the season. At this point, KC is the only team that looks dominant in the entire NFL. Pats have problems, we beat the Ravens, Raiders are dealing with injuries. The AFC is wide open. To say or think the Steelers are done for at this point is ridiculous.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum as I believe we have the talent to win the Lombardi.

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.
    It's hard on this Sunday but I believe this to be truth. Way early. Ben and the WRs are playing themselves in shape and rythym

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

We'll play well but I do t see any way we beat KC . Probably lose by at least ten. They are on the mark right now . In sync and balling out

Merry Christmas

And remember for the last four years Ben has been atrocious on the road. Heading to KC

Merry Christmas

Why stay optimistic? You know... that's a good question. Instead of hijacking this thread, I think I'll start another one in answering that question. It's definitely worth debating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    And remember for the last four years Ben has been atrocious on the road. Heading to KC

NC - haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you here (I've probably just missed your posts). Oh, and although a bit late, hope your celebration of the high holy days were all you wanted it to be this year. (Unless I'm getting really old and have completely mistaken your faith/culture background).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    We are in first place in our division after 5 games and our offense and defense should only improve.

All that I care about is that we make the playoffs healthy and with momentum as I believe we have the talent to win the Lombardi.

If Ben is playing like this after 8 games and we are several games out of first, then yes, I will be concerned.
    1. First place in the AFCN.
    2. Third seed in the playoffs.
    3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
    If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Why stay optimistic? You know... that's a good question. Instead of hijacking this thread, I think I'll start another one in answering that question. It's definitely worth debating.

- - - Updated - - -

NC - haven't seen you around for a while. Good to see you here (I've probably just missed your posts). Oh, and although a bit late, hope your celebration of the high holy days were all you wanted it to be this year. (Unless I'm getting really old and have completely mistaken your faith/culture background).
    Lol. You're getting old. I don't have a specific faith. I haven't been around in a while. Kind a just lost interest. Still love and follow my Steelers just don't spend near as much time on it. Felt the need to check in here and join the venting a bit.

Merry Christmas

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

What a bunch a Archie Bunkers. Come on, everything is great. Dupree is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and the offense is a 30+ point juggernaut. Don't even get me started on this Steel Curtain. Tomlin never makes mistakes. How can a coach who is "one of the guys" make a mistake? No need to fix anything. Porter is a mastermind, as is Butler.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    What a bunch a Archie Bunkers. Come on, everything is great. Dupree is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and the offense is a 30+ point juggernaut. Don't even get me started on this Steel Curtain. Tomlin never makes mistakes. How can a coach who is "one of the guys" make a mistake? No need to fix anything. Porter is a mastermind, as is Butler.
    Good to have some levity.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I'm optimistic because of the facts. We're healthy and winning the division at the 1/4 point of the season. At this point, KC is the only team that looks dominant in the entire NFL. Pats have problems, we beat the Ravens, Raiders are dealing with injuries. The AFC is wide open. To say or think the Steelers are done for at this point is ridiculous.
    You better check the facts again. Healthy - maybe, but doesn't matter with the way they are playing. Winning division - they are tied with ratbirds with bungholes right behind. KC looking dominate- doesn't matter, losing teams are kicking our ass. Ravens aren't a sure bet next time. I wouldn't be sure on the bunghole game either. And to be honest, would you bet that we beat even the Brown's right now?? I sure wouldn't. Sorry, but after watching all the games so far, saying the Steeler's are done at this point isn't ridiculous by any means. If no change is made, I wouldn't have any problems saying this team is done. I've said for year's that they better be looking for a future QB, they haven't and now it's biting them in their ass. Ben is the sole reason for the Jax loss....with more to come. And we have no one on the bench to replace him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    1. First place in the AFCN.
    2. Third seed in the playoffs.
    3. So far, HORRID on offense.

SUMMATION:
    If the offense ever figures things out, we will be fine.
    It looks like it's going to be another one of those seasons where we really won't know what to expect week to week. Too early to give up on this season by a long shot. I just absolutely hate things that don't make sense, and that last game did not make any sense. I still don't know what to take away from it.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Time to take a deep breath and, it would not surprise me to see the Ben have a monster game against KC on the road. I don't like how Ben played yesterday but, every QB has a couple of bad days.

Junior Member Array title="Mamaduck43 has a brilliant future">

I still have faith, but I am old enough to remember having faith in a season or two when we were 0/12 or close to that..... The Steelers, and especially, Ben, have problems playing through distractions, and the past couple of weeks have been nothing but distractions.... The tools are on board for a winning season - - and I am talking all the way to the end - - and my feeling is that they just have to blend better as far as working as a team is concerned.... This mainly rests on the shoulders of the Coaching staff and, of course on Ben, and I truly believe that it will happen....

However, I also agree with Coach Noll - - - when you start talking about retiring, it is time.... It looks like Ben isn't having fun this season - - even in our good moments, he has been blaming himself (mostly agree) for the weaknesses, but everyone has got to dig deep..... Living in Green Bay now, I have seen the many incarnations of Brett Favre - - he has been through the mill, but after realizing that he could have fun doing other things, he is again accepted by the Cheeseheads.... I don't want Ben to have to go through those bad times..... And I will always thank him for the glory days that he has brought us.... I still catch my breath in the last few minutes of a game when he is in control of the end game..... And I would rather he be in there than just about anybody......

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Would Noll consider benching Ben?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If he had another outing like yesterday in back to back games, I would think so.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Consider? Yes.

But Noll would probably tell a story and confuse the entire locker room.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Benching him for who though? Jones? Dobbs?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Benching him for who though? Jones? Dobbs?
    If he did it, I think Noll would go with Dobbs.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I can't put this all on Ben. Sure he hasn't looked anything like a franchise Qb. My question is if Ben doesn't like the play that's sent in can he override it and call what he thinks is better? If not then Haley needs shit canned. If Ben can call his own plays and he is calling some of this garbage, he needs to stop, cause it ain't working and we need to look for another offensive coordinator.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I say they do more running plays to take the pressure off Ben. They have 3 great RBs, why not run the ball 60 times?

I hope I am wrong, but have seen this before from Tomlin teams. Steelers go down hard against a KC team prepping for a SB run on the legs of their rookie RB.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Not after this length of time with Ben as the starter - Noll ran starting QBs through a revolving door through the first Super Bowl season in '74 but after that he stuck with his starter - the rap on Noll as the 70s team got old was he actually was too loyal to the vets despite his rep of being distant

OTOH I bet he would tell his OC to lose the empty backfield and tell both the OC not to call and the QB not to check off to the constant pass plays inside the 5

When has a modern coach benched a two time Superbowl winning QB? Not happening

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben is still the best QB on the team. Dobbs isn't fully developed yet and still has issues to work out and I really don't need to talk about Landry, do I

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Bench Ben?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I wouldn't bench him this week but if he continues to play poor in the future it maybe a good idea. QB's are ego driven as well and might just light a fire under his a$$. Something needs too and he has been mailing it in for years now.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Ooooooh, so now people don't want to bench Ben this week because we're playing Kansas City. Let's wait for a shitty opponent week, is that it? Got it!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

While I don't think he has been mailing it in - I do think he needs a wake-up call.

I also figure you can't bench him without losing large sections of the locker room and a few games.

So, if someone was ever dumb enough to put MojoUW in charge, I would take away some of his play-calling leeway. I know that might really put a damper on the run/pass option plays that have proved so lethal as recently as last season, but there has to be some consequence/change. Force Ben to stay on "message" and "gameplan" might make a difference.

Or, maybe Ben is the only thing standing between this team and full Haley nonsense? And remember, you never wanna go full Haley!