Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 5:Jaguars(2-2)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Week 5:Jaguars(2-2)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    That will make it, what, sometime in 2015 that all 22 starters played together?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That will make it, what, sometime in 2015 that all 22 starters played together?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I heard a couple of cool stats today.

1.) The Jaguars are 6-30 when Bortles turns the ball over at least once.

2.) Bortles has played in 50 games(not started) and has 52 interceptions.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post

And Ben is as dangerous as any quarterback at home. Steelers 34-19
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    And Ben is as dangerous as any quarterback at home. Steelers 34-19
    Damn sure is, and he'll be looking to make a point that everything is okay with him and AB. AB goes off in this game.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Damn sure is, and he'll be looking to make a point that everything is okay with him and AB. AB goes off in this game.
    yeah i think this will be Ben's 1st big statement game. but dont worry, he'll have his worst game the following week to keep it interesting
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So what is it that the Jags do well? They run the ball with Fournette and Ivory. Not much of a threat in the passing game. Read an article on SD that they play mostly power run, hardly ever run that sweep play the Bears used. Still have to be ready for it. This sounds like the type of game where our dline depth will be more important that the defensive splash plays. I agree with what was posted before, stop the run and make them try to beat us through the air.

Defensively, the Jags have a pretty good secondary. I'll misspell the names but you guys can look them up. They're pretty good. The Jags also have a very decent dline. They don't look good, on paper, at stopping the run, but they're not as bad as it looks. That said, I believe we can move the ball on this team. Have to be patient this week. Let the set up plays happen, wait for the opportunities, strike when defense is where we want them. This is a dangerous team, not to be overlooked.

Steelers 24
    Jags 20

yeah i think this will be Ben's 1st big statement game. but dont worry, he'll have his worst game the following week to keep it interesting

So do the Steelers come out in base and dare Bortles to beat them?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They should. They need to stop the run. Jacksonville runs the ball no matter what situation they are in and against the game flow. Pretty much a touch of vintage Coughlin, if they don’t contain Fournette, they could be in for a long day. Jacksonville is the number two rushing team in the league. Just dont give up the big run...

Interesting thing about the base defense, apparently its our weakest formation against the run so far: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...first-4-games/

YPC by formation

Base: 5.44 (57 attempts)

Nickel: 3.3 (33 attempts)

Dime: 6.17 (6 attempts)

Goal Line: 1 (2 attempts)

i wonder what the time and situation of those rushes are but something interesting

BurghBoy412

I'm pretty confident they'll dominate this game. Fournette will get his welcome the "Real NFL" this week. The D-Line should feast on Jville's O-line. The Jags are pretty weak at the guard spots. I suspect the "Grave Digger" will have a Big Day! One big key to stopping Fournette will be making sure to wrap up. Stick and Wrap dammit!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The Defense is very fast and hard hitting, except they overpursue and miss tackles. Very fixable with time. I expect the Defense to clamp down tighter come December, which is quite scary because they've been pretty stout so far.

Interesting thing about the base defense, apparently its our weakest formation against the run so far: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10...first-4-games/

YPC by formation

Base: 5.44 (57 attempts)

Nickel: 3.3 (33 attempts)

Dime: 6.17 (6 attempts)

Goal Line: 1 (2 attempts)

i wonder what the time and situation of those rushes are but something interesting
    And that's without Gravedigger on the field. I would love for them to find a way to keep him on the field in Nickel situations. I think the last couple of teams have come out in "11" personnel just to keep him off the field.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Yep -Bill Simmons among others is not on board the Bortles bandwagon this weekend

A 6-point teaser just to say we bet against Carson Palmer AND Blake Bortles on the road …

TEASE: STEELERS (-8.5 over Jaguars) and EAGLES (-6.5 over Cards)

… Steelers drop to -2, Eagles drop to -0.5, BOTH teams have to cover.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/1...ured-fan-bases

An opportunity to bet against Bortles on the road and Bruce Arians in one bet? Must. Resist. Temptation.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I would not be surprised to see Matakevich and Chickillo get more time this week on defense. Williams hasn't impressed much as a run defender and that is his strength. Have to put Bortles in 3rd and 5 or more, often and take away the TE. Definitely try and make him beat you. Offensively, this needs to be an instance of imposing some physical will by the O line for the Steelers. Not having Gilbert makes that more difficult IMO.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No problem BJ Finney will step up.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I would not be surprised to see Matakevich and Chickillo get more time this week on defense. Williams hasn't impressed much as a run defender and that is his strength. Have to put Bortles in 3rd and 5 or more, often and take away the TE. Definitely try and make him beat you. Offensively, this needs to be an instance of imposing some physical will by the O line for the Steelers. Not having Gilbert makes that more difficult IMO.

No holding penalties this week.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    No holding penalties this week.
    I think Hubbard is good for 1 hold and 1 false start penalty. He's not starting OT material.

How would Chickillo's playing time take Williams off the field? Were weak against outside zone runs, and the cutbacks that come back with over pursuit. Williams and Mitchell are the clear cut weakest links on defense and those are still some pretty good "weak links." What has Matakevich shown that makes him a viable possible alternative? He's had games like against the dolphins where he's in on a ton of tackles that give up 8 yard runs. Williams has a strong body of work as a run defender as a starter in numerous games over the years. No reason to believe that it somehow disappeared through 4 games.

- - - Updated - - -

fantastic. that should buy him 4 more weeks for the I Love Excuses for the Offense crowd

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs.
    It's still early, but the Steelers are currently 2nd in the league in total defense, pass defense and sacks...

How would Chickillo's playing time take Williams off the field? Were weak against outside zone runs, and the cutbacks that come back with over pursuit. Williams and Mitchell are the clear cut weakest links on defense and those are still some pretty good "weak links." What has Matakevich shown that makes him a viable possible alternative? He's had games like against the dolphins where he's in on a ton of tackles that give up 8 yard runs. Williams has a strong body of work as a run defender as a starter in numerous games over the years. No reason to believe that it somehow disappeared through 4 games.

- - - Updated - - -

Chickillo is better at setting the edge in outside runs than Watt. I would not be surprised to see him see some more field on 1st downs.
    Vince Williams had 3 tackles last week vs the Ravens and I have seen him over run the gap or choose the wrong gap several times this season. Matakevich likely is better at tacking between the tackles than VW right now, but his footspeed makes him a liability in getting to the edges.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Chickillo is better at setting the edge in outside runs than Watt. I would not be surprised to see him see some more field on 1st downs.
    Vince Williams had 3 tackles last week vs the Ravens and I have seen him over run the gap or choose the wrong gap several times this season. Matakevich likely is better at tacking between the tackles than VW right now, but his footspeed makes him a liability in getting to the edges.
    Chickillo was terrible against the Bears. He gets pushed around like a rag doll.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No problem BJ Finney will step up.

Killer BJs.

Finney will beat the gatorade cooler easily.

Bryant hit the injury report today as questionable due to illness.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bryant hit the injury report today as questionable due to illness.
    Hmmm....seems to be a bug making it's way around the locker room. Started with AV, then Harrison, now Bryant? Not good.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Per Adam Schefter: Bryant is expected to play.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

I agree that Vince's run defense hasnt been good so far like in the past but he has a big body of work, including starts that suggest that these are more likely aberrants, and not new bad habits.

Chick is better against outside runs than Watt? You really think Watt could have done even worse than Chick against the Bears? He was the worst defender on the field in week 3. I pray he never has to be on the field against running backs who can find the cut back lane the rest of the season. Im still not seeing how Chickillo would start seeing the field more against the Jags when he's our 4th best overall OLB, and could easily end up being the 2nd weakest run defender even though he's normally been pretty good in that regard. TJ Watt has been excellent at setting the edge already anyways and offers a lot more all around playmaking ability. Doesnt seem like a good tradeoff to try to go all in on stopping Ivory/Fournette. Sliding the snap counts a little higher for Chick and a little lower for TJ isnt going to make a meaningful positive difference