Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 5:Jaguars(2-2)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Week 5:Jaguars(2-2)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Your grading system is just based on your thoughts/feelings. There is no charts. Me saying this is NOT a good team is based on MY OPINION. I still see missed tackles, Ben making terrible throw's (high, low, in front of or behind receivers), dropped ball, timing still off, player's in wrong spots or running wrong routes, NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs. And especially, NOT being able to put a team away ..... no killer instinct. Stupid ass play calling. We can't recognize when to play the run game or the pass game. 3rd and 2 and they still go for long balls ..... when just picking up 1st downs would kill the opponent. Again, stupid play calling. Don't get me wrong, we have great player's in many of the positions, BUT as I also said some are not being utilized to the fullest. I think the coaches are having trouble figuring when to have the running game powered up. After 8 weeks of football ( 4 preseason 4 regular) I think pieces of puzzle should start coming together.
    Fortunately, the steelers are 3-1, after their biggest win in Baltimore ever ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I think Ben will have his 1st truly dominant game of the season either next week, or in 2 weeks against the Bengals (prediction brought to you by Ben plays great at home)
    Ramon Foster agrees with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Your grading system is just based on your thoughts/feelings. There is no charts. Me saying this is NOT a good team is based on MY OPINION. I still see missed tackles, Ben making terrible throw's (high, low, in front of or behind receivers), dropped ball, timing still off, player's in wrong spots or running wrong routes, NO pass rushing, NO pass coverage ( 5-10 cushions and then trying to run the receiver down), NOT being able to get the opponent off the field in 3rd and longs. And especially, NOT being able to put a team away ..... no killer instinct. Stupid ass play calling. We can't recognize when to play the run game or the pass game. 3rd and 2 and they still go for long balls ..... when just picking up 1st downs would kill the opponent. Again, stupid play calling. Don't get me wrong, we have great player's in many of the positions, BUT as I also said some are not being utilized to the fullest. I think the coaches are having trouble figuring when to have the running game powered up. After 8 weeks of football ( 4 preseason 4 regular) I think pieces of puzzle should start coming together, and in most cases they're not. Haley leaves me scratching my head and saying ' WTF ' was that? a lot. We never seem to be able to put a team away. That's why a winless team can still leave me nervous when playing the Black/Gold. GO STEELERS
    I think you should plan to see a lot more of the run game against the Jags. Plus the ever infuriating screens and dump offs like against the Ravens. Our defense has been playing great, no confusion about that. I believe that continues, if only based on what I have witnessed this season. Nothing wrong with being nervous about any game. That's only a sign that you're a fan and you actually care about the outcome. Any given Sunday applies to every team, not just the Steelers. I think the Jags fans have more to be nervous about this week though.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Fortunately, the steelers are 3-1, after their biggest win in Baltimore ever ...

I am damn happy with the win in Balt, don't think I ain't. But let's not fool ourselves either. Balt. isn't the old Balt., and with our talent we should have beat them by the points we did, if not more. Just as we should have beat Bear's by at least that spread also....but didn't ! Sorry, just because they finally won a game that they should have so I'm not giving them a pass. Congrats on a big division win, I'm happy about that. But 1 decent, kick ass win does not make a very good team. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. KC is a pretty damn decent team with a not so much QB. and then the bungholes at home....well another division game, so that ought to be interesting also. GO STEELERS

I am damn happy with the win in Balt, don't think I ain't. But let's not fool ourselves either. Balt. isn't the old Balt., and with our talent we should have beat them by the points we did, if not more. Just as we should have beat Bear's by at least that spread also....but didn't ! Sorry, just because they finally won a game that they should have so I'm not giving them a pass. Congrats on a big division win, I'm happy about that. But 1 decent, kick ass win does not make a very good team. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games. KC is a pretty damn decent team with a not so much QB. and then the bungholes at home....well another division game, so that ought to be interesting also. GO STEELERS

It's never easy to win against your rival, especially on the road...Remember when the Steelers lost a must win game against the Ravens with Ryan Mallett in 2015 ....And the steelers would have had 30 points against the very good defense of the ravens if they would not have been for 2 at the end of the first half and that our kicker would have not missed his FG in the third quarter.

In general it was a very good performance in a place that the steelers were 3-11 since 2003.

Also, it's time to move on for the defeat against Chicago.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think my biggest concern is them coming out flat after a big win in Baltimore. In Tomlin's 3 previous wins in Baltimore, they are 1-2 and have shown a tendency to come out flat the next week
    2008: Next game @ Titans, fell behind 10-0 in an eventual 31-14 loss to the Titans
    2010: Next game vs Bengals, scored a 23-7 win at home against a 4-12 Bengals team, but trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter before being jolted by an Troy INT return for a TD
    2012: Next game vs Chargers, fell behind 13-0 and eventually 27-3 in a 34-24 loss at home to a 7-9 Chargers team

The good news though is Ben's 20-1 record at home in October

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Fun fact: The last sack Maurkice Pouncey gave up came against the Jaguars.

That was 3 years ago.

Malik Jackson will be a formidable test for him this week
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The thing about Jacksonville’s defense is that they are really good against the pass but really bad against the run. If they can get Bell and Connor going, they should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The thing about Jacksonville’s defense is that they are really good against the pass but really bad against the run. If they can get Bell and Connor going, they should be good.
    This probably means they'll try and throw it a bunch.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think my biggest concern is them coming out flat after a big win in Baltimore. In Tomlin's 3 previous wins in Baltimore, they are 1-2 and have shown a tendency to come out flat the next week
    2008: Next game @ Titans, fell behind 10-0 in an eventual 31-14 loss to the Titans
    2010: Next game vs Bengals, scored a 23-7 win at home against a 4-12 Bengals team, but trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter before being jolted by an Troy INT return for a TD
    2012: Next game vs Chargers, fell behind 13-0 and eventually 27-3 in a 34-24 loss at home to a 7-9 Chargers team

The good news though is Ben's 20-1 record at home in October
    That is not just a Tomlin/Steelers thing. It is a trend for the Ravens as well and several other NFL teams the week after they engage in a brutal physical match-up with their most bitter division rival. I don't think it is so much coming out flat as coming out of the tunnel already beat to shit from the previous week.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    are they actually REALLY good? Abouye and Ramsey I totally believe are for real. Gipson has had an up and down career. Church is solid but not unexploitable. They've played against Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson's 1st start ever, Marcus Mariota, a significantly injured Joe Flacco, and Josh McCown. Not to mention with a run defense that porous their pass defense numbers get further inflated. Cant say im too impressed. Same can be said about our defense vs. the level of competition but our defense has been tops or nearly tops in the league in all major categories for the past dozen plus games or so, plus returning mostly the same roster so our body of work is more convincing.

Big Ben for 325 yards and 3 TD's. Followed by a meltdown at Arrowhead stadium the following week
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

are they actually REALLY good? Abouye and Ramsey I totally believe are for real. Gipson has had an up and down career. Church is solid but not unexploitable. They've played against Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson's 1st start ever, Marcus Mariota, a significantly injured Joe Flacco, and Josh McCown. Not to mention with a run defense that porous their pass defense numbers get further inflated. Cant say im too impressed. Same can be said about our defense vs. the level of competition but our defense has been tops or nearly tops in the league in all major categories for the past dozen plus games or so, plus returning mostly the same roster so our body of work is more convincing.

Big Ben for 325 yards and 3 TD's. Followed by a meltdown at Arrowhead stadium the following week
    If we look at last year, the Jaguars were a good defense against the pass...Only 6.6 YPA for the opposing QB in 2016.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/jax/2016.htm

Yes, they were last for interceptions, but they rarely had the lead....The only possibility that Roethlisberger has 300 yards is if the steelers are behind a lot in the 4th quarter and that is when Ben has a lot of his yards in garbage time.

And no, Ben will not have a meltdown in KC...How many times has Roethlisberger had a disastrous game in his career? It rarely happens

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Hopefully Ben starts playing like the top shelf QB he is.

Otherwise we will have to rely on our running game and defense to carry us.

If I were calling the plays...

Run Forrest run!

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Jags have a lot of athletes on that defense. They're a very scary team on paper. A ton of talent on both sides of the ball. If they're clicking on all cylinders they can look like a top 5 team in the league. We need to come out and hit em in the mouth early.

Fournette scares me because big physical backs can really wear our finesse style of defense down. We need to control the clock again like last week. TOP has been our kryptonite thus far. If we control it, we win big. If Jags have success running the ball and controlling the clock, look for a nail biter.

Matchup to watch: AB vs. Jalen Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Jags have a lot of athletes on that defense. They're a very scary team on paper. A ton of talent on both sides of the ball. If they're clicking on all cylinders they can look like a top 5 team in the league. We need to come out and hit em in the mouth early.

Fournette scares me because big physical backs can really wear our finesse style of defense down. We need to control the clock again like last week. TOP has been our kryptonite thus far. If we control it, we win big. If Jags have success running the ball and controlling the clock, look for a nail biter.

Matchup to watch: AB vs. Jalen Ramsey
    finesse style defense? im not sure were watching the same defense. im pretty excited that were playing running backs with games that arent predicated on speed. were going to see a lot of tackles for loss and no gain on Sunday because our linebackers are fast enough to meet them at the hand off

BurghBoy412

I'll be shaking my head if the game plan isn't shut down Fournette and make Bortles beat you.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

finesse style defense? im not sure were watching the same defense. im pretty excited that were playing running backs with games that arent predicated on speed. were going to see a lot of tackles for loss and no gain on Sunday because our linebackers are fast enough to meet them at the hand off
    We are most definitely a finesse style of defense. We're built on speed. If we have to grind a game out against a big physical back then the D tires. We're built to stop thr pass. Ryan Howard ran through our LBS and DBs all game until they didn't want to tackle him any more. What game were you watching that week?

- - - Updated - - -

The fast RBs don't scare me near as much as the physical backs. We have arguably the fastest defense in football.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Expect Bell to have a lot of carries this game.

Hoping for a Ben breakout game.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    I'll be shaking my head if the game plan isn't shut down Fournette and make Bortles beat you.

But you must not put yourself in a too vulnerable position against the pass.

BurghBoy412

But you must not put yourself in a too vulnerable position against the pass.
    Blake Bortles is prone to turn over the ball. I'd take my chances.

Blake Bortles is prone to turn over the ball. I'd take my chances.
    I remember when the steelers played against Tebow and the steelers did everything to stop the run but they have been burned against the pass in this game!

BurghBoy412

I remember when the steelers played against Tebow and the steelers did everything to stop the run but they have been burned against the pass in this game!
    Different team. Different Players. Not applicable to the conversation.

Different team. Different Players. Not applicable to the conversation.

It's just to say that a team must always respect the pass, no matter who is the QB, otherwise you can have bad surprise

Yes, the steelers have to stop the run against the Jaguars, but the steelers must not be stupid either.

BurghBoy412

It's just to say that a team must always respect the pass, no matter who is the QB, otherwise you can have bad surprise

Yes, the steelers have to stop the run against the Jaguars, but the steelers must not be stupid either.
    Logical

BurghBoy412

I don't expect the "Jag offs" to deviate from what they've been doing. I suspect they'll try to utilize a Fournette/ Ivory combo to see if they can get some of those chunk run plays the Steelers have been giving up. Then they'll try to stop Bell and make Ben beat them with his arm. IMO the key to this game and it's difficulty is on the Steelers O-line. They had better be ready to play come Sunday. If they have a sub par performance it's going to be a long day.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't expect the "Jag offs" to deviate from what they've been doing. I suspect they'll try to utilize a Fournette/ Ivory combo to see if they can get some of those chunk run plays the Steelers have been giving up. Then they'll try to stop Bell and make Ben beat them with his arm. IMO the key to this game and it's difficulty is on the Steelers O-line. They had better be ready to play come Sunday. If they have a sub par performance it's going to be a long day.
    Sounds like the plan. So, maybe a good old fashioned slugfest?
    As much as I would love to see Ben torch the Jags for 400 and 3TDs, with AB, Bryant, and JuJu all getting one, the smart play is going to be Bell. Mix in some Conner, I'm ready to see this guy play some. Defense has got to play smart and bring the focus.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar