Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What College Games Are You Watching Today?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: What College Games Are You Watching Today?

Well, no champion again this year. Stop inviting SEC teams that didn't even win their own conference.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

For those who don't like an all-SEC championship, blame Clemson's offense and Oklahoma's defense. This isn't like 2011 when the BCS just selected 2 teams from the SEC to play in the national championship, the 2 SEC teams had to win a semifinal game against top 2 teams and they did, one in dominating fashion, the other after falling behind by 17 points. Bama showed they belonged in the college playoff last night.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Big 10 and Pac 12 conference champions wanted to get in, they should have thought about that before they lost 2 games including 1 by over 30 points

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    For those who don't like an all-SEC championship, blame Clemson's offense and Oklahoma's defense. This isn't like 2011 when the BCS just selected 2 teams from the SEC to play in the national championship, the 2 SEC teams had to win a semifinal game against top 2 teams and they did, one in dominating fashion, the other after falling behind by 17 points. Bama showed they belonged in the college playoff last night.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Big 10 and Pac 12 conference champions wanted to get in, they should have thought about that before they lost 2 games including 1 by over 30 points
    And maybe the National Champion could be good enough to win their own conference. The playoff needs 8 teams and UCF should have been one of them since they beat the team that beat both of the teams playing in the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And maybe the National Champion could be good enough to win their own conference. The playoff needs 8 teams and UCF should have been one of them since they beat the team that beat both of the teams playing in the championship.
    All conferences aren't created equal, there are multiple teams in one conference that are better than any team from another conference (i.e. Bama would have easily won the Pac 12 and probably the Big 10 as well). Plus the problem with automatic bid for conference champions is you could get teams 3 or 4 losses that have no business sniffing a national championship playing for one in the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

All conferences aren't created equal, there are multiple teams in one conference that are better than any team from another conference (i.e. Bama would have easily won the Pac 12 and probably the Big 10 as well). Plus the problem with automatic bid for conference champions is you could get teams 3 or 4 losses that have no business sniffing a national championship playing for one in the playoffs
    Big 10 is the best conference top to bottom. Most analysts will tell you that without hesitation. Their bowl record supports it as well. I'm not sure I'd go with an auto bid, but a power 5 conference champ with 1 loss should make it, as well as an undefeated group of 5 school that is ranked in the top 10-12.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Any quality team can go out there and win a game. Every level of football, except this one has a real playoff. Every other sport has a real playoff. College football at this level needs a real playoff. Enough of this power5/group of 5. 10 conference champs, 10 team/school playoff. What is the downside? I mean other than the power5 conferences would have to share revenue.

My school is Memphis. Memphis has a long history of being terrible in football. Mostly losing seasons until recent years, like 10 of the last 15 have been winning seasons, but before that a 6-5 every once in a while. Still, with all that losing, I have seen Memphis beat Bama, FSU, Florida, USC, Tennessee, Ark, Ole Miss, and Miss State when those schools were ranked in the top 20, half of those were over top 10 teams at the time. Point is, play the game and see what happens.

Will never happen though, too much money at stake. Power5 conferences have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Damn that Rose Bowl game was incredible.
    Yeah, was a thrill ride from the opening drive to the final TD.

Mayfield was the ultimate troll. Walking in with a "Pretenders" sign to troll Lee Corso...then walking down to warm up where the Georgia WR's were warming up on the field pre game. Maybe he should have focused on his own game instead of giving Georgia more motivation. Karma.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There shouldn't be any automatic bids for winning your conference. However, there should be automatic NOT making the playoffs if you don't win your conference. You don't even win your conference, it's already been proven that someone is better than you, and therefore you are not the national champion. College football has too many teams and too few inter-conference games to intelligently select a champion otherwise.

Usually the auto-SEC team in the title game is just the result of the self-fulfilling prophecy where all the SEC teams start out way too high in the first rankings of the year. So Alabama or LSU beats someone like ... Arkansas or Ole Miss ... and it's suddenly "OMG THEYRE THE BEST THEY JUST BEAT THE #5 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!!!" Or they lose and it's "well, it was a tough game, they played the #5 team in the country!!" And then that team eventually finishes with 4 or 5 losses because they're actually not that good, but people justify it saying "SEC is tough!!"

Except this year there wasn't even that. The conference was mostly dogshit, but Alabama is just the default choice when there's any doubt over who should be ranked higher, who should get into the playoffs, who gets any other kind of favorable outcome, just because Alabama. "OMG WHO WOULD BEAT ALABAMA!! THEYD KILL ANYONE!!!" Well maybe, but they never play anyone except their in-conference schedule and cupcakes. So that needs to stop. No champion again this year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I can whole heartedly agree that Bama is one of the best teams in the country. AND, on any week they can beat anyone. BUT, and a big one, THEY DID NOT EARN THEIR SPOT. That is why other schools feel disrespected by the process and the committee. A team that did not even play for their own conference title should not be allowed to play for the national title. Again, is Bama a great team? YES! They are! They still don't deserve to be playing next week.

So much argument about if you don't win your conference, you don't belong in the playoffs, how about if you lose at least 2 games (including 1 by over 30 points) you don't belong in the playoffs. There is too much complaining over teams not good enough to avoid losing multiple games and avoid not getting blown out when they do lose supposedly getting shafted because "ZOMG THEY WON A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP". Is a 4 loss conference champion really more deserving than a 1 loss division runner-up? If so, try to justify why without repeating "CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP" as if it's the lone deciding factor as to what separates teams. I think there can be better discussions about who is better and who is not if we stopped using one parameter to judge and compare teams and instead look at a team's FULL BODY OF WORK from start to finish. Plus if Alabama really did not belong in the playoffs, they would not have beaten the no. 1 team in the country by 18 points

That being said though I would have liked to have seen UCF in the playoffs and would like to see a group of 5 make the playoffs in someday

So much argument about if you don't win your conference, you don't belong in the playoffs, how about if you lose at least 2 games (including 1 by over 30 points) you don't belong in the playoffs. There is too much complaining over teams not good enough to avoid losing multiple games and avoid not getting blown out when they do lose supposedly getting shafted because "ZOMG THEY WON A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP". Is a 4 loss conference champion really more deserving than a 1 loss division runner-up? If so, try to justify why without repeating "CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP" as if it's the lone deciding factor as to what separates teams. I think there can be better discussions about who is better and who is not if we stopped using one parameter to judge and compare teams and instead look at a team's FULL BODY OF WORK from start to finish. Plus if Alabama really did not belong in the playoffs, they would not have beaten the no. 1 team in the country by 18 points

That being said though I would have liked to have seen UCF in the playoffs and would like to see a group of 5 make the playoffs in someday
    What I posted before. Any quality team can go out and beat any other quality team. It should come down to earning your spot more than perceived quality of win/loss. If you EARN a spot in your conference championship game, that should mean more. If you actually win your conference championship, that should definitely mean more. Every team EXCEPT 1 lost games this season. Why should any one of those losses mean more or less than another? Example I used before still applies. Bama may be one of the best 4 teams in the country. Bama did not play for their conference championship and therefore, did not EARN the right to play for a national championship. Some agree, some don't, but it's the simplest concept to understand. Earn your spot.

I think it would be easier if they just took the 4 highest ranked teams from the SEC.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

These refs suck, Alabama getting away with murder

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What College Games Are You Watching Today?

Georgia’s coaching staff really sucks. The offensive and defensive play calling has been garbage. Same run draw into the line for negative to 2 yards consistently killed every drive for the Bulldogs and playing 15 yards of receivers, rushing four and having linebackers 8-9 yards back (maybe a little exaggeration) just leaves the run game for the Tide wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Damn that was a great game. Yet another instant classic

Georgia football teams really got to learn to hold leads in championship games.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That freshman QB for Alabama was fearless. He gets sacked and didn't blink. Great game and I have to get up early. Too old for this.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I am not happy about Alabama winning, but I don't care enough to be upset about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I am not happy about Alabama winning, but I don't care enough to be upset about it either.
    I wanted Alabama to lose but gotta give that freshman QB for Alabama credit for just playing and not being scared.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

If Ohio State wanted a chance to play in the tournament, then they shouldn't have overlooked Iowa and lost by 31. You just can't put a 2 loss team in especially when one of their losses is by 31.

UCF finishing at #6 is a joke. They should have been #3.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    UCF finishing at #6 is a joke. They should have been #3.
    I agree. I think the field should be expanded to 8 personally.

I can't believe a team from Georgia choked away a championship.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Someone could make that poster with just losses by Atlanta and UGA teams - this column today

Calling (again) the roll of woe: The 5 most excruciating Atlanta losses

We live in Atlanta. We might not have invented the cosmic flop, but we darn sure perfected it. Here, in descending order, are our teams at their absolute worst.

5. The Falcons take a 17-0 lead in January 2013 NFC Championship game and lose.
    It remains the biggest blown lead in NFC title-game annals. ...

4. The Falcons lead the Cowboys by 14 points after three quarters and by 10 with 5 1/2 minutes remaining and lose.
    It was January 1981. The Falcons were the NFC’s No. 1 seed. They were gone after their first playoff game ...

3. The Leyritz game.
    The Braves led the 1996 World Series 2-1 and took a 6-0 lead in Game 4. Had they held the lead, they could have clinched their second consecutive championship in the final game played at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. ... This time a year ago, Game 4 stood unchallenged as No. 1 on our city’s list of wretched defeats, which tells us all we need to know about the past 11 months. ...

2. Georgia leads the national-championship game 13-0 and 20-7 and does not win.
    You’d never have seen it coming if you just hadn’t just seen it happen. ...

1. 28-3.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...hFOWGkwdF3taN/

Georgia football teams have gone up a combined 48-10 in championship games the past 11 months and lost both times.

Some bad calls went against Georgia but they should have closed the deal regardless