Thread: This may clear up the protest issue for many of us.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This may clear up the protest issue for many of us.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pittsbu...151118735.html

Mainly for those that see absolutely no problem.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: This may clear up the protest issue for many of us.

On top of the blatant racism, dude is ignorant. ALL reporting is unified that the players decided what to do.

Tomlin was on the sideline standing during the anthem.

But, you know, racists gonna racist.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

But the Cecil fire chief "regrets" being a racist so it's all good

Kumbaya

Member Array title="cheezheadsteeler is on a distinguished road"> cheezheadsteeler's Avatar

When idiot racist fireman sees people of color disrespecting the National Anthem will he:
    A. Decide to sit down and discuss race relations with people of color
    or
    B. Become more galvanized in his hatred?

2 wrongs don't make it right.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There's no accounting for some people's stupidity.

Remember, the average IQ is 100 and half the people ARE below that. Same goes for personality, or whatever other trait you can think of.

Having said that, you are not going to fix racism and bigotry with any amount of marching, or yelling, or angry social media commenting, or doxxing racists and posting it online - or for that matter, by being a jerk before a football game. It simply diminishes over time as people learn from the collective mistakes of the ones who came before them.

Much as no one wants to hear it, you can't really force that process to go faster. And when you try to force it, usually that's just how you piss people off and make it go slower.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Fire chief "resigned" - not a lot of contrition here as the blame for the media card for "portraying" him as a racist is played

“The media dragged my fire company and township into this as well as my family,” said Paul Smith, former chief of the Muse Township Volunteer Fire Department in Cecil, in a statement to the Post-Gazette....

Mr. Smith, who is out of the country on vacation, blamed the media for portraying him as a racist.

“I regret what I said deeply and I am not the racist the media portrays me as. What I said was wrong and posted in anger,” he said a statement sent to a Post-Gazette reporter Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201709260139

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Fire chief "resigned" - not a lot of contrition here as the blame for the media card for "portraying" him as a racist is played

“The media dragged my fire company and township into this as well as my family,” said Paul Smith, former chief of the Muse Township Volunteer Fire Department in Cecil, in a statement to the Post-Gazette....

Mr. Smith, who is out of the country on vacation, blamed the media for portraying him as a racist.

“I regret what I said deeply and I am not the racist the media portrays me as. What I said was wrong and posted in anger,” he said a statement sent to a Post-Gazette reporter Tuesday afternoon.

Weird. I get angry alot. Like every day. I post on social media and the internet often as well. Yet I have not once posted a racial slur. Never.

Maybe that's because I'm not a racist and this dude is? But somehow the media made him a racist?

Like how does that work?

That's like that guy we all know who burns through significant others. But it is never them - always the other person who is loco. Yet they are the ones with 15 failed relationships in the rearview.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You don't use that kind of language in anything like its real meaning unless you've got a few screws loose. Not to mention saying it publicly.

Is that commonplace? I'd like to think not.

Then again, some people will say the whole country is nothing but racial slurs 24/7 and I'm just ignorant to it because of white privilege or whatever. Then I'd say they're probably overestimating the problem. Then they'd say this media report proves it. Then I'd say of course the media focuses on the extreme. And around and around we go, until everybody walks away angry.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But somehow the media made him a racist?
    "I am not the racist the media portrays me as."

Guy just got fired but if the P-G reporter wants to twist the knife and get a fun quote for the story your comeback question to that is

Then what sort of racist are you?

"I am not the racist the media portrays me as."

Guy just got fired but if the P-G reporter wants to twist the knife and get a fun quote for the story your comeback question to that is

Then what sort of racist are you?
    I'd like to picture him saying "I'm a Fricassean racist," which then leads to an 8,000-word Huffington Post diatribe about how horrible Bugs Bunny was.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Weird. I get angry alot. Like every day. I post on social media and the internet often as well. Yet I have not once posted a racial slur. Never.

Maybe that's because I'm not a racist and this dude is? But somehow the media made him a racist?

Like how does that work?

That's like that guy we all know who burns through significant others. But it is never them - always the other person who is loco. Yet they are the ones with 15 failed relationships in the rearview.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

You know, for the vast majority of fans it has jack squat to do with freedom of speech, racism, *or* patriotism. This excellent paragraph sums it up for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetJournal
    American democracy was healthier when politics at the ballpark was limited to fans booing politicians who threw out the first pitch - almost as a bipartisan obligation. This showed a healthy skepticism toward the political class. But now the players want to be politicians and use their fame to lecture other Americans. The parsons of the press corps want to make them moral spokesmen and the president wants to run against the players. The losers are the millions of Americans who would rather cheer for their teams on Sunday as a respite from work and the other divisions of American life.
    In that sense, it's totally understandable why people would be fed up.
    Imagine that you have a weekly get- together at your uncle Bobby's house to watch (say) The Walking Dead. But every time, just before the show starts, he treats everyone to 5 minutes of his holding forth on his political opinions, and you know that not everyone there agrees with him.
    Nevermind his "freedom of speech", whether he's "racist" or a "crusader", etc; that's not the point. The point is that there is a time and place for politics, and this ain't it. Yinz didn't gather together to receive his pearls of political wisdom, you came there to watch a show. And you're only going to put up with so much of uncle Bobby's bullshit before you decide to spend your Sunday evening doing something else.

That's ultimately what's at the heart of this IMO.

Best,
    -Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

You know, for the vast majority of fans it has jack squat to do with freedom of speech, racism, *or* patriotism. This excellent paragraph sums it up for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetJournal
    American democracy was healthier when politics at the ballpark was limited to fans booing politicians who threw out the first pitch - almost as a bipartisan obligation. This showed a healthy skepticism toward the political class. But now the players want to be politicians and use their fame to lecture other Americans. The parsons of the press corps want to make them moral spokesmen and the president wants to run against the players. The losers are the millions of Americans who would rather cheer for their teams on Sunday as a respite from work and the other divisions of American life.
    In that sense, it's totally understandable why people would be fed up.
    Imagine that you have a weekly get- together at your uncle Bobby's house to watch (say) The Walking Dead. But every time, just before the show starts, he treats everyone to 5 minutes of his holding forth on his political opinions, and you know that not everyone there agrees with him.
    Nevermind his "freedom of speech", whether he's "racist" or a "crusader", etc; that's not the point. The point is that there is a time and place for politics, and this ain't it. Yinz didn't gather together to receive his pearls of political wisdom, you came there to watch a show. And you're only going to put up with so much of uncle Bobby's bullshit before you decide to spend your Sunday evening doing something else.

That's ultimately what's at the heart of this IMO.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar