Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Next?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What Next?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/protest...144514331.html

I felt the need to share this article. Yes, it's from Yahoo so subtract 30% substance for editorializing, but still a very good point made in this read.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: What Next?

I am boycotting the NFL. I will watch part of a game, but will not go to any bar to spend money and watch it or support the advertisers. I would never give 2 cents for an NFL package either. I'm done with their nonsense.

Something similar happened in MLB when they went on strike in the early 1990s when baseball was still the most popular sport in America. Many people tuned out never to return. Those idiots kneeling on the sidelines who never studied history are doomed to repeat it.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thanks for posting a nuanced and balanced discussion of a complex issue. Too bad all anyone will do is just loudly repeat the same tired cliched responses from both sides.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I think I know why they are using the Anthem as a protesting point. They are not intending to dishonor the flag, what they are intending to do is show people how upset they are with inequalities that still exist within this country. The protesters know how dear we hold the flag. It a cry for help really. No one will listen to them. Let me put it this way, you don't go on a hunger strike because you hate food. You deprive yourself of food because you want others to recognize the plight you're going through. What our leaders need to do is start listening to what these guys are saying and start trying to come up with real solutions to fix the problems.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I think I know why they are using the Anthem as a protesting point. They are not intending to dishonor the flag, what they are intending to do is show people how upset they are with inequalities that still exist within this country. The protesters know how dear we hold the flag. It a cry for help really. No one will listen to them. Let me put it this way, you don't go on a hunger strike because you hate food. You deprive yourself of food because you want others to recognize the plight you're going through. What our leaders need to do is start listening to what these guys are saying and start trying to come up with real solutions to fix the problems.
    Exactly.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Couldn't agree more. There is an old saying about the messenger and not shooting...

Many may find the manner of communication distasteful and offensive, but the content of the message is more than worth listening to.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

OMG the over the top outrage is overdone now. I respect my country and the anthem. That's me and I don't give a damn about anyone else. I don't respect the lying POS that sits in the WH that incites this anger and outrage in people, a draft dodger at that. I'm not stopping anything. I know people who want season tickets. Anyone want to give them up, I'll let those people know. We have them and they're cherished. No one killed anyone, no one got hurt, players didn't partake in the anthem. If you let that turn your life upside down, then so be it, that's your right like it's mine to get on with life as normal and root for my team every week. Makes no one less of a patriot no matter what decision they make.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    OMG the over the top outrage is overdone now. I respect my country and the anthem. That's me and I don't give a damn about anyone else. I don't respect the lying POS that sits in the WH that incites this anger and outrage in people, a draft dodger at that. I'm not stopping anything. I know people who want season tickets. Anyone want to give them up, I'll let those people know. We have them and they're cherished. No one killed anyone, no one got hurt, players didn't partake in the anthem. If you let that turn your life upside down, then so be it, that's your right like it's mine to get on with life as normal and root for my team every week. Makes no one less of a patriot no matter what decision they make.

you won't find a lot of respect from comments like that , like it or not he is the president of this country ... I didn't like the last guy we had for 8 years but didn't go around calling him a piece of shit even though he deserved it more often than not simply because he was the President and like him or not deserved some semblance of respect

no need to reply as my respect level for you has come to an end and will place you on ignore to prevent future dialogue and or degradation for my own personal well being within this forum
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

I will survive without respect from unknowns. I won't respect a kitty cat grabbing sexual predator that's my right. Not concerned about what you think.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Great post!!!!

I really don't watch the news or read the paper, so I am curious...

What things are being proposed / suggested to "fix" inequality?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Great post!!!!

I really don't watch the news or read the paper, so I am curious...

What things are being proposed / suggested to "fix" inequality?
    Nothing, they are being largely ignored. The media is great at distracting people.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Is the protest about inequality or police brutality? I'm confused.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Is the protest about inequality or police brutality? I'm confused.
    Oppression I think. Although manziel, kris brown who are white appeared to get same sort of punishment as blacks who commit domestic violence. I don't claim to know because I don't live in inner city but I don't see a whole lot of whites gangs killing each other like what's happening in Chicago or Baltimore. If their the ones committing crimes then there the ones police are looking for

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Family units are breaking down.

Children are less educated.

Drug addiction is increasing.

Economic growth is slow.

...and correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most kids "content" these days if they have a big screen tv, video games and cell phone?

I may be wrong, but I am just not sure what can be done.....or at least not sure if there is a solution that does not involve an element of parental & personal responsibility?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Economic growth is slow.

...and correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most kids "content" these days if they have a big screen tv, video games and cell phone?

I may be wrong, but I am just not sure what can be done.....
    and GOD is the furthest thing from most peoples minds and being removed from everywhere but churches and a select few homes .....

turn your back on God and God turns his back on you

Economic growth is slow.

I may be wrong, but I am just not sure what can be done.....or at least not sure if there is a solution that does not involve an element of parental & personal responsibility?
    It's bad, but not as bad as all that. Don't let the extreme voices on either side be all that you hear. Like everything else the truth lies in the middle.

More Americans 25-45 have high school and college degrees than ever before - https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p20-578.pdf

Drug addiction is rising but not rising out of control - https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...ionwide-trends -- it isn't as bad as the cocaine/crack/heroin epidemics we have seen before. If we can get docs to rein in opiod prescriptions, we might get ahead of this thing for the first time ever.

Economic growth was larger than expected last quarter. Over the last little while unemployment has dropped below 5 %. In fact, real wages earned by workers went up recently for the first time in almost a decade.

The young people I interact with almost daily are far from content with simple possessions and screen time. They want education, jobs, families, careers, etc and are actively making efforts to achieve all those things.

It isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but it is far from doom and gloom time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It's bad, but not as bad as all that. Don't let the extreme voices on either side be all that you hear. Like everything else the truth lies in the middle.

Drug addiction is rising but not rising out of control - https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...ionwide-trends -- it isn't as bad as the cocaine/crack/heroin epidemics we have seen before. If we can get docs to rein in opiod prescriptions, we might get ahead of this thing for the first time ever.

guess it depends on the demographic you look at , heroin is a MAJOR issue ....

local municipalities can not keep up with Narcan .....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/05/upshot/opioid-epidemic-drug-overdose-deaths-are-rising-faster-than-ever.html

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/east-li...ar-with-child/

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    guess it depends on the demographic you look at , heroin is a MAJOR issue ....

local municipalities can not keep up with Narcan .....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/05/upshot/opioid-epidemic-drug-overdose-deaths-are-rising-faster-than-ever.html

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/east-li...ar-with-child/
    Which is typically linked to prescription opiod addiction at its root. Heroin is being used as a secondary opiate after individuals are no longer able to get the prescription pain pills that originally started it all. While I didn't explain this well in my original post, the information I have read has indicated that less people are using heroin originally but use as a substitute for pills.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I don't buy it. They were sulking over what Trump said. I doubt most of them give a single dime to charity.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Which is typically linked to prescription opiod addiction at its root. Heroin is being used as a secondary opiate after individuals are no longer able to get the prescription pain pills that originally started it all. While I didn't explain this well in my original post, the information I have read has indicated that less people are using heroin originally but use as a substitute for pills.

that very well may be the case , I won't challenge what I am not educated on .. I just know it is a HORRIBLE problem and people are dropping literally like flies from it ...

how we get a handle on it the real issue , treatment is great but not very effective when at the first sign of trouble they relapse into old habits ... its a really sad thing

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I don't buy it. They were sulking over what Trump said. I doubt most of them give a single dime to charity.
    Highly speculatory comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Highly speculatory comment.
    That's why I didn't bother to respond. It's troll bait.

BurghBoy412

That's why I didn't bother to respond. It's troll bait.
    What is a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Oppression I think. Although manziel, kris brown who are white appeared to get same sort of punishment as blacks who commit domestic violence. I don't claim to know because I don't live in inner city but I don't see a whole lot of whites gangs killing each other like what's happening in Chicago or Baltimore. If their the ones committing crimes then there the ones police are looking for
    There is no oppression.
    Hater = Realist

What is a troll?
    It depends. In this case a person disliked another person's opinion so they called them a troll.

My statement is true. Players were upset over Trump's comments. If it was about inequality then why aren't they protesting at this time? They chose only to protest between 1PM EST and 4PM EST.

As for oppression, it's 2017. Black people are not being oppressed in the US.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    It depends. In this case a person disliked another person's opinion so they called them a troll.

My statement is true. Players were upset over Trump's comments. If it was about inequality then why aren't they protesting at this time? They chose only to protest between 1PM EST and 4PM EST.

As for oppression, it's 2017. Black people are not being oppressed in the US.
    Yeah but I mean what exactly is trolling/ troll bait? I'm confused why are you all so cruel to each other?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yeah but I mean what exactly is trolling/ troll bait? I'm confused why are you all so cruel to each other?
    Troll/trolling is a reference to fishing.

One casts many lines in order to catch and/or lure in a fish. Likewise, an internet troll posts many incinduary posts, in order to catch/lure in other posters.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    I will survive without respect from unknowns. I won't respect a kitty cat grabbing sexual predator that's my right. Not concerned about what you think.
    I don't have you on ignore, sistah.

Love ya!

What it's supposed to mean, in general, is someone posting off-topic material to get an emotional response. It's all relative really.

Each member on this site is a good person. Well, from at least what I can tell by reading posts. I don't know anyone on here personally.
    Hater = Realist

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The major failing in this protest is that the message of the protest is unclear. The act of kneeling during the national anthem is the sign of protest, however, what is the actual protest? This past Sunday was simply a shot back at the sitting President for recent comments he had made. Fair enough. But what is the protest? If the protest itself is unclear, how can steps be taken to resolve the issues? Where is the champion of this protest and what is he/she saying? Is it police brutality? Is it inequality in the US, where blacks are oppressed? Is it inequality in general? Or is it a tactic to draw attention to oneself with no real end goal?

Without a voice to give a message to the protest, the argument will continue to be about taking a knee during the anthem, and nothing will be done about moving an agenda forward.