Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Ben Retires After This Season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If Ben Retires After This Season

What about Kirk Cousins? Seems like this is his last year in Washington & I know he's 29, but he is a good QB, I guess money would be the issue?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: If Ben Retires After This Season

Sounds like a good choice.
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He's a good QB but some team is going to pay a lot of money for him. I like Alex Smith as a possible replacement if KC decides to move forward with Mahomes.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    He's a good QB but some team is going to pay a lot of money for him. I like Alex Smith as a possible replacement if KC decides to move forward with Mahomes.
    He's done about as well as Ben the past 3-4 years.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ben looks like they are pushing onto the field. He finally gets more weapons than ever and a decent OL when healthy and it's too late. He might be tired of all of the personal political BS in the locker room too. If I had $100 million I would say F it.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Assuming they don't just draft someone and throw them into the fire. I'll toss a couple of names out there:

1. Paxton Lynch. Might cost less to pry him out of Denver than it would to move around in the draft. Former highly regarded prospect who has struggled.
    2. Hundley. The current Green Bay back-up. Many are really high on him. I don't see it, but I think he could come fairly cheap.
    3. AJ McCarron. Not sure how this would work since it is in division.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Assuming they don't just draft someone and throw them into the fire. I'll toss a couple of names out there:

1. Paxton Lynch. Might cost less to pry him out of Denver than it would to move around in the draft. Former highly regarded prospect who has struggled.
    2. Hundley. The current Green Bay back-up. Many are really high on him. I don't see it, but I think he could come fairly cheap.
    It has been widely publicized here in Denver that Lynch hasn't the decision making capabilities to be a starting QB in the NFL. I highly doubt he could beat out Dobbs in a battle for the starting job. Here is one example from the preseason. There where many stories like this all through training camp and preseason. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/l...revor-siemian/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I've been hear Luck wants out of Indianapolis. I don't know if that would be possible since he signed a new contract on 2016, I believe. He may be washed up, not sure how serious his injuries are but its nice to think of the options that may be available. I like McCarron on Mojouw's list.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I've been hear Luck wants out of Indianapolis. He may be washed up, not sure how serious his injuries are but its nice to think of the options that may be available. I like McCarron on Mojouw's list.
    thats an interesting one. Here's his injury timeline: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ear/523709001/
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I've been hear Luck wants out of Indianapolis. He may be washed up, not sure how serious his injuries are but its nice to think of the options that may be available. I like McCarron on Mojouw's list.
    These are my thoughts, as well.

I'll add that that there might be 6 QBs drafted in R1 next April. If one drops to 32, I'd draft one, as well.

DEPTH CHART:
    Luck
    R1 2018
    Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Not too excited about Lynch or Cousins. Neither strikes me as the guy who's going to lead you to a title. If Ben retires, that's a $20M+ salary, so we could theoretically take a shot at whoever.

If NO continues to suck this bad, I wouldn't mind seeing if Brees was was interested, one or two chances to get to the Super Bowl. Or if the Chargers shitstorm keeps up, maybe Rivers wants out of there, although it seems less likely.

Fuck Alex Smith, all he's ever done his whole career is be in offenses that had to be specifically designed around his shortcomings.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    These are my thoughts, as well.

I'll add that that there might be 6 QBs drafted in R1 next April. If one drops to 32, I'd draft one, as well.

DEPTH CHART:
    Luck
    R1 2018
    Dobbs
    This! I just wonder how they acquire Luck? Sign and trade Bell? Probably too much of a NBA move though.

Garoppolo? Seems a bit fragile and Bill would want 7 picks for him.

BurghBoy412

I think there's a strong chance Sam Darnold stays at USC for another year. Strictly speculation of course. Not really sure it would make the Steelers chances of getting him any better either. Would be cool to have him reunited with JuJu.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm sure they'll try to get Cousins.

But other than that, a rookie or Dobbs will be the starting QB.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    This! I just wonder how they acquire Luck? Sign and trade Bell? Probably too much of a NBA move though.
    Trade picks for him... something like our R1's in 2018 and in 2019.

Of course, that is predicated on: a) Luck wanting out AND b) the Colts willing to part ways with him.

- - - Updated - - -

Garoppolo? Seems a bit fragile and Bill would want 7 picks for him.
    This past off-season, there was a rumor that the Browns were going to trade three R1 picks for Garoppolo... which explains why the Browns traded so vigorously to end up with three R1 picks in the 2017 draft.

But, I remember it coming out that Belichick was NEVER going to part ways with Garoppolo, because Belichick feels that Garoppolo is the future for them at QB. And, as we all know far too well, it can be 25 years between franchise QBs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm sure they'll try to get Cousins.
    If my memory serves me correctly, during the draft process, Tomlin met with him/ate dinner with him...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    I think there's a strong chance Sam Darnold stays at USC for another year. Strictly speculation of course. Not really sure it would make the Steelers chances of getting him any better either. Would be cool to have him reunited with JuJu.
    He needs to from what I've seen. Wildly inconsistent. I'm not really interested in drafting him. Seems like the latest in a line of USC QB busts in the NFL.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Lynch doubters really need to revisit his college game tapes, and his 2 starts for the Broncos last season. He can be the next BB.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, I would trade a lot for Andrew Luck also.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

At this point, there are plenty of QBs as good as Road Ben.

- - - Updated - - -

If Drew Brees wants to play till he's 42, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, during the draft process, Tomlin met with him/ate dinner with him...
    That's correct. They wanted to draft him, but the Skins shocked everyone taking him in the 4th round.

Of course Pittsburgh then traded up to select Alameda Ta'amu, six picks after Cousins was drafted.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    That's correct. They wanted to draft him, but the Skins shocked everyone taking him in the 4th round.

Of course Pittsburgh then traded up to select Alameda Ta'amu, six picks after Cousins was drafted.
    Another gem.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Another name to consider is Chad Kelly. The Broncos basically red-shirted him this year due to a bunch of long-to-heal but minor injuries.

His college type shows a kid who loves to hang in the pocket and make big throws down the field. Like it or not, that is the offense.

Another name to consider is Chad Kelly. The Broncos basically red-shirted him this year due to a bunch of long-to-heal but minor injuries.

His college type shows a kid who loves to hang in the pocket and make big throws down the field. Like it or not, that is the offense.
    Is he on their practice squad?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is he on their practice squad?
    Reserve/non football injury list

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The best course of action is pray Dobbs somehow turns into a quality starter or pray the QB the Steelers draft turns into a quality starter.

The odds of them finding a decent QB in free agency are slim to none and they would have to trade too much to trade for a high quality QB

If Ben retires, we need an experienced, proven NFL QB. Bringing in another young, inexperienced QB doesn't do us any good.

BurghBoy412

I've found the guy I'm hoping is the air apparent for BB. Ryan Finley from NC State 6'4" 205lbs. Great arm, plays in a pro style offense, sound decision maker. He should be available in the late 1st. The guy named Finley to replace the guy from Findlay.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

If Ben retires after this season... We are fucked, for a while at least

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    If Ben retires after this season... We are fucked, for a while at least
    Yea, I would have to agree with that. I went through all of the years between Bradshaw and Ben and don't really want to go through that again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Other than the Andrew Luck idea, there’s nothing in this thread that is currently on an NFL roster that is worth a shit in a bucket. If they were, they’d be starting somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler