Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If Ben Retires After This Season

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: If Ben Retires After This Season

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Other than the Andrew Luck idea, there’s nothing in this thread that is currently on an NFL roster that is worth a shit in a bucket. If they were, they’d be starting somewhere.
    I still like Alex Smith as a realistic possibility. While he'll probably never be an All Pro, he's still pretty good and would be a good stop gap until a drafted QB can take over. He's also playing better than Ben is right now and tore apart the Pats in week 1. He had some bad early years with SF but he's been real good with the Chiefs despite them not having very good WRs. I get that some people don't like him but on a good team with good WRs and OL, he can give you 3500 - 4000 yards passing and 20-25 TDs with single digit Int.

Realistically, there's just not going to be much to choose from if Ben retires.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Drew Brees wants to play till he's 42, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    Flashback to 2001:
    The majority of Steelers boards mocked Brees to the Steelers. I am still 100% convinced that Cowher wanted Dan Morgan. Similarly, I am 95% confident that we would have won the SuperBowl in 2001 if Brees had been the QB. I know that Hampton was outstanding, but a franchise QB trumps any NT.

Flashback to 2004:
    The Chargers could have stuck with a Brees, and drafted Larry Fitzgerald... to go along with Gates and LT. Holy crap!!!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Flashback to 2001:
    The majority of Steelers boards mocked Brees to the Steelers. I am still 100% convinced that Cowher wanted Dan Morgan. Similarly, I am 95% confident that we would have won the SuperBowl in 2001 if Brees had been the QB. I know that Hampton was outstanding, but a franchise QB trumps any NT.

Flashback to 2004:
    The Chargers could have stuck with a Brees, and drafted Larry Fitzgerald... to go along with Gates and LT. Holy crap!!!
    Speaking of Drew Brees if Nick Saban had acquired Brees instead of Daunta Culpepper he may have stayed in Miami for a while longer. If that happens, no Alabama dynasty.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Speaking of Drew Brees if Nick Saban had acquired Brees instead of Daunta Culpepper he may have stayed in Miami for a while longer. If that happens, no Alabama dynasty.
    Yep.

Saban wanted Brees, but the owner vetoed the move... and "forced" Culpepper on Saban.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

After watching the 2nd half of the KC vs Skins, Id take Cousins or Smith. Cousins had the game won but Doctson dropped the ball in the EZ.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    After watching the 2nd half of the KC vs Skins, Id take Cousins or Smith. Cousins had the game won but Doctson dropped the ball in the EZ.
    Agreed. That was a perfect pass to Doctson. i'm not confident that they would've won though with the way that KC moved down the field so easily.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I like Cousins always have, even when he was torching Iowa. I have to ask, would Wash. let him go, and what would it cost? I'm hearing that Smith is at the end of his contract and may not return to KC. Question: How many years could we get out of Smith? Enough to groom a young QB?

AML

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I like Cousins always have, even when he was torching Iowa. I have to ask, would Wash. let him go, and what would it cost? I'm hearing that Smith is at the end of his contract and may not return to KC. Question: How many years could we get out of Smith? Enough to groom a young QB?
    Alex Smith was drafted the year after Ben in 2005 and is 2 years younger than Ben

Washington cannot afford to franchise Cousins for a third season in 2018 ($34.5 million) so he will be on the open market

Couisns will get his $$$ somewhere but thsi article points out his flaws as a franchise QB

The Redskins didn't actually botch the Kirk Cousins contract situation

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/nfl-...ag-bruce-allen

As for Smith, he has made himself a lot of $$$ for his next contract with his performance so far this season - the Chiefs presumed plan was to let him walk but that might be subject to change if the Chiefs go deep in the playoffs

Either QB will want a big long term deal that I doubt the Steelers can afford (Ben's salary would come off the books but they have other young talent to sign) or would be inclined to offer given the history of this franchise's pursuit of top shelf free agents

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Not too excited about Lynch or Cousins. Neither strikes me as the guy who's going to lead you to a title. If Ben retires, that's a $20M+ salary, so we could theoretically take a shot at whoever.

If NO continues to suck this bad, I wouldn't mind seeing if Brees was was interested, one or two chances to get to the Super Bowl. Or if the Chargers shitstorm keeps up, maybe Rivers wants out of there, although it seems less likely.

Fuck Alex Smith, all he's ever done his whole career is be in offenses that had to be specifically designed around his shortcomings.
    Did you watch last night's game. Both Cousins and Smith looked very good.

As for the Brees comments he had a terrible shoulder injury in San Diego and no one knew if he could come back. The Saints got lucky.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Did you watch last night's game. Both Cousins and Smith looked very good.

As for the Brees comments he had a terrible shoulder injury in San Diego and no one knew if he could come back. The Saints got lucky.
    Smith is not going to win any team a Super Bowl, so I'm not interested. Probably same with Cousins. His ceiling is not-quite-good-enough. Maybe you could win a championship in the lucky Flacco way, or the team-carrying-the-weak-QB way like Dilfer ... but then what's the point of Smith specifically; you could just get any idiot to play QB.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Smith has never been a great NFL QB. Good enough, yes, but never great. Didn't he get benched for a rookie in SF? Also, Cousins is more of the same we have now with 'declining Ben'. Except more of the bad. He looks very good on some drives and disappears on others. Makes unwise throws and misses open WRs. Not saying either is not better than what we currently have at backup, but neither is the move I would make. Lateral move at best. AND neither is as good as 'declining Ben'.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ve always said Cousins was better than RGIII and got laughed at at times. Cousins really stepped up in that last drive...they had that game won.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I didn't read that article, but the Redskins definitely botched the Cousins deal. Big time.

Senior Member Array title="Renegade has a spectacular aura about"> Renegade's Avatar

Joshua Dobbs... will be awesome. I really think that with or without Ben, this team is going to represent the AFC in the next 2 Superbowls. I do not know if they will win 1, but I still like their chances. They have the best receivers, the best running back, a defense that is great again, and an OL that can match up with anyone. The defense and run game are what great teams are built around. I actually think that if they put Dobbs in now, they might be better off. Finally, while I would not agree with him on really anything at all, I WANT THE STEELERS TO SIGN COLIN KAEPERNICK. Imagine all the speed the team would have.... Bell, Brown, Bryant and Kaep. That is legendary Madden speed and would be a beautiful team to watch especially if the defense keeps it up.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Joshua Dobbs... will be awesome. I really think that with or without Ben, this team is going to represent the AFC in the next 2 Superbowls. I do not know if they will win 1, but I still like their chances. They have the best receivers, the best running back, a defense that is great again, and an OL that can match up with anyone. The defense and run game are what great teams are built around. I actually think that if they put Dobbs in now, they might be better off. Finally, while I would not agree with him on really anything at all, I WANT THE STEELERS TO SIGN COLIN KAEPERNICK. Imagine all the speed the team would have.... Bell, Brown, Bryant and Kaep. That is legendary Madden speed and would be a beautiful team to watch especially if the defense keeps it up.
    You lost me there........ completely.........

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

No to all of this except the 2 superbowls

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

They have ... a defense that is great again
    Based on wins over Kizer, Keenum & Flacco along with getting shredded on the ground in Chicago?

I am holding off until after the KC and Detroit games before having any confidence in the pass defense

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Based on wins over Kizer, Keenum & Flacco along with getting shredded on the ground in Chicago?

I am holding off until after the KC and Detroit games before having any confidence in the pass defense
    Agreed. I'd say that they have the potential to be great again.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

1. This defense is great at shutting down weak offenses, they need to prove they can do the same against better offenses

2. I highly doubt Dobbs is ready to start now, and abruptly just starting Dobbs now would disrupt offensive team chemistry which is the last thing this offense needs right now

3. Literally all Kaepernick ever brought to the table was speed and mobility, and at the wrong side of 30, even that will diminish. Not to mention having to tailor the offense to suit what little ability he currently has

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Wow.......just.......wow.

Senior Member Array title="Renegade has a spectacular aura about"> Renegade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You lost me there........ completely.........
    lol. Sorry, Sire. I would have lost myself too. What I meant to say was (should Ben continue to miss wide open receivers like he has done over the past number of weeks, should he continue to look at the rush before his reads) would the steelers really be better off? As someone else stated either during the baltimore game or maybe before, when you afraid of the rush, or afraid of getting hit, it is time to retire. That's what I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Wow.......just.......wow.
    I know how strange I might have sounded, and I know I said a lot of things, but if we were able to win without Ben, wouldn't that take some pressure off? Really, ever since he got drafted, the Steelers have had a very tough time without him. Given his style of play and the fact that opposing teams and fans hate him for no reason and love to take pot shots at him every week, he has seen an amazing and horrific amount of injuries (every week I am concerned he is gonna be lost for the season), the Steelers organization should have had a second starter for a while now (Charlie Batch is a great example of what I'm looking for). Maybe the Kaepernick idea is not a good one. I was just thinking of how much fun that would be in a video game. Sorry, guys.

IF we actually did not trust our backups, and we do not think Dobbs is the future, and assuming Kaep is out of the question for one reason or another, I wouldn't mind seeing if Drew Brees wanted to put on a Steeler uniform for a year or 2. It would also be really funny if the run game and the defense (should it prove itself) would remain to be awesome and Tony Romo joined us and we beat the Cowboys in the superbowl. Lol Never gonna happen
    - - - Updated -

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I know how strange I might have sounded, and I know I said a lot of things, but if we were able to win without Ben, wouldn't that take some pressure off? Really, ever since he got drafted, the Steelers have had a very tough time without him. Given his style of play and the fact that opposing teams and fans hate him for no reason and love to take pot shots at him every week, he has seen an amazing and horrific amount of injuries (every week I am concerned he is gonna be lost for the season), the Steelers organization should have had a second starter for a while now (Charlie Batch is a great example of what I'm looking for). Maybe the Kaepernick idea is not a good one. I was just thinking of how much fun that would be in a video game. Sorry, guys.

IF we actually did not trust our backups, and we do not think Dobbs is the future, and assuming Kaep is out of the question for one reason or another, I wouldn't mind seeing if Drew Brees wanted to put on a Steeler uniform for a year or 2. It would also be really funny if the run game and the defense (should it prove itself) would remain to be awesome and Tony Romo joined us and we beat the Cowboys in the superbowl. Lol Never gonna happen
    - - - Updated -

What I'm thinking is that the reason they have had a hard time without him is because he has been a great player. It is very hard to find elite talent at the quarterback position.

I guess I just don't understand how taking out the guy that has been the man and the main reason for your success over a long period of time makes the team better. Ben is going to play better, and he is still the best option by a mile to lead this team to the promised land.

Sure, they need to continue to develop talent at the quarterback position and continue to address the position, but Ben is the player that needs to be on the field for the immediate future and probably for the next couple years if he continues to want to play.

lol. Sorry, Sire. I would have lost myself too. What I meant to say was (should Ben continue to miss wide open receivers like he has done over the past number of weeks, should he continue to look at the rush before his reads) would the steelers really be better off? As someone else stated either during the baltimore game or maybe before, when you afraid of the rush, or afraid of getting hit, it is time to retire. That's what I was saying.
    Don't get carried away the the "missing wide open receivers" idea. That's overblown.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

I am with you there. But the talent is there and the pass rush is better than it has been in the past couple seasons. Those alone bode well, but I don't think they put a real good defensive game together yet and are building.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    What I'm thinking is that the reason they have had a hard time without him is because he has been a great player. It is very hard to find elite talent at the quarterback position.

I guess I just don't understand how taking out the guy that has been the man and the main reason for your success over a long period of time makes the team better. Ben is going to play better, and he is still the best option by a mile to lead this team to the promised land.

Sure, they need to continue to develop talent at the quarterback position and continue to address the position, but Ben is the player that needs to be on the field for the immediate future and probably for the next couple years if he continues to want to play.
    The main reason the Steelers had success when Big Ben showed up was a beautiful run game and the defense, and a much better head coach who even though did not win more titles than tomlin, did not get trapped in the regular season. How many awful games did Ben play against baltimore but have enough time for a game winning drive because the defense forced turnovers and held the ravens to 10 or fewer (tomlin era)? Look at the first superbowl ben played in! He had the worst statistical performance by a winning qb in the superbowl. In the front of his carrier, he was carried by defense, now in the past couple of years he has been the one carrying the team. It is rare that towards the end, the individual is playing their best football. I just have a bad feeling that last year was his last exceptional year. he might need to be carried like Peyton Manning was in the last (in which case, are we really better off if young player wants to have a stupid awesome season). That was my point and I do not think that there is better QB on the roster. My scenario would be a classic what-if story that has been done before in nfl history. (The QB controversy during the 74 Steelers season) More recently with Kaepernick and Wilson.

While he has never got the attention that he rightly deserves or the elite status in the public eye (i do not know why), I feel as if when Ben retires, people will go, "He was a lot better than we gave him credit for." (Ben said this somewhere) Also, it is him and him alone that kept this team afloat in the more recent years of bad defense. Let the record show, unlike Eli, unlike Peyton, BIG BEN HAS NEVER PLAYED ON a LOSING TEAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

The main reason the Steelers had success when Big Ben showed up was a beautiful run game and the defense, and a much better head coach who even though did not win more titles than tomlin, did not get trapped in the regular season. How many awful games did Ben play against baltimore but have enough time for a game winning drive because the defense forced turnovers and held the ravens to 10 or fewer (tomlin era)? Look at the first superbowl ben played in! He had the worst statistical performance by a winning qb in the superbowl. In the front of his carrier, he was carried by defense, now in the past couple of years he has been the one carrying the team. It is rare that towards the end, the individual is playing their best football. I just have a bad feeling that last year was his last exceptional year. he might need to be carried like Peyton Manning was in the last (in which case, are we really better off if young player wants to have a stupid awesome season). That was my point and I do not think that there is better QB on the roster. My scenario would be a classic what-if story that has been done before in nfl history. (The QB controversy during the 74 Steelers season) More recently with Kaepernick and Wilson.

While he has never got the attention that he rightly deserves or the elite status in the public eye (i do not know why), I feel as if when Ben retires, people will go, "He was a lot better than we gave him credit for." (Ben said this somewhere) Also, it is him and him alone that kept this team afloat in the more recent years of bad defense. Let the record show, unlike Eli, unlike Peyton, BIG BEN HAS NEVER PLAYED ON a LOSING TEAM.

- - - Updated - - -
    what makes you say last year might be Ben's last exceptional year?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The main reason the Steelers had success when Big Ben showed up was a beautiful run game and the defense, and a much better head coach who even though did not win more titles than tomlin, did not get trapped in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

He means that Cowher never would have lost to the expansion Texans nor the expansion Jaguars.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A hell no to Alex Smith. Only 2 years younger than Ben, and he isn't even that good of a QB. He needs a loaded supporting cast around him just to not look awful. They need to replace Ben with a young guy, not a guy only slightly younger than him, particularly one who has proven to be pedestrian at best