This is coming from a 57 year-old who served ten years in the United States Army:

I find it distasteful when people or groups use the US Flag, or disrespect the National Anthem. As a born-and-raised Baltimorean, I also do not like the shouting of "O!" as is often done. When I attend a professional sports event, I stand, doff my cap (if worn), place my hand over my heart and face the flag during the NA. When finished, although really "against the rules", I snap a quick hand salute in deference to duty long past.

Having said that, while I believe other forms of protest are better suited than not honoring the flag or anthem, this is the United States of America. Now, had Goodell made it mandatory to stand immediately post-Kap, as a business the NFL would have had the right to do so. But President Trump escalated the magnitude with his rhetoric. Had he merely stated he wished the players showed respect to the flag and anthem, no more might have occurred. But calling certain NFL players SOB's and stating they should be fired polarized what was a few players into a league-wide stance of brotherhood. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Having said all that...I would not want to have been the Steeler who told Villaneuva he better not go out the tunnel alone and stand at attention during the NA. You would have seen the football player disappear and the Ranger emerge in a New York second.