Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gameballs and Goats.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Re: Gameballs and Goats.

Zero game balls

I can't understand all the moon balls from Ben that he can't complete. What's wrong with putting together a nice long drive and score 7. At this rate they have zero chance of even competing with the cheats. The coaches and the players need to take a good look in the mirror. I know it's 1 game but losing to a shit team like the bears really pisses me off.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Holy crap!!! Great, great quote.

Of course, using Baugh's logic, the Steelers would have won in regulation: 24-17.
    True that

But I love that quote whenever anyone wonders about what would happen if a specific play turned out differently

FWIW Baugh is a forgotten great talent - maybe the best pure passer of the pre-60s NFL

Michael Wilbon on his passing

The inaugural class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, in 1963, included George Halas, Bronko Nagurski, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, Ernie Nevers, Mel Hein, Curly Lambeau and Don Hutson among 17 charter members. And only Halas and Baugh were selected unanimously.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec...sp-dogwilbon21

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Embarrassing but not unexpected. Fits the pattern for a Tomlin team.

Gameball? The Bears. They wanted it more.
    Goats: All 53 Plus every coach.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Embarrassing but not unexpected. Fits the pattern for a Tomlin team.

Gameball? The Bears. They wanted it more.
    Goats: All 53 Plus every coach.
    Yep - most everyone on the board had a sense of dread about this game

This is how Ben rolls

Bill Simmons (who lost his Steelers/Packers teaser bet today) this past Friday

Beware of any Steelers road game in which they’re undefeated and favored because Roethlisberger enjoys either getting hurt or completely shitting the bed at least once before the baseball playoffs start.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9...s-bill-simmons

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Cowherd was right.
    Yep I know everyone on here hates him but it rang true at the time and it does after today. Bradshaw was right too in a lot of ways. Tomlin tries to win too much with bravado and swagger. There's a problem when the other team is more prepared.

One interesting thing is that even if we'd won that game in OT, the tone of this thread would be about the same lol.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

One interesting thing is that even if we'd won that game in OT, the tone of this thread would be about the same lol.
    ......even if we had won in regulation.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I keep waiting for the future HOF QB to put up some numbers in leading this offense. This is week 3 of the supposedly talented and high scoring offense looked pretty lame.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

So then you are saying if the Steelers won there would be no problems to fix because a win is a win? Sorry, the Steelers haven't played well all season. Luckily they were playing bad teams. Some fans are content with poor play while some fans want better.

Playing down to horrible teams has become a trend for Tomlin. The Steelers seem to struggle if low percentage plays aren't working.
    Hater = Realist

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I keep waiting for the future HOF QB to put up some numbers in leading this offense. This is week 3 of the supposedly talented and high scoring offense looked pretty lame.
    What I loved about Noll was that whenever his team got cocky or didn't perform well, it was back to the fundamentals and the basics. And the results were there the following week. Looks to me that the WRs have spent a lot of time planning their TD celebrations and less time on holding on to passes and getting open. Not sure why the O Line is sub par so far. You don't win Lombardis on paper. It takes a LOT of hard work.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    What I loved about Noll was that whenever his team got cocky or didn't perform well, it was back to the fundamentals and the basics. And the results were there the following week. Looks to me that the WRs have spent a lot of time planning their TD celebrations and less time on holding on to passes and getting open. Not sure why the O Line is sub par so far. You don't win Lombardis on paper. It takes a LOT of hard work.
    I think the problem is most of the players do not have any fundamentals to fall back on. And yes, most of their mind is spent thinking of new dance steps and trying to figure out what they are protesting.
    Hater = Realist

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The non-holding calls were big. The Steelers did not help their case by sleepwalking instead of playing a game. They were distracted. Anybody that took a knee during the anthem was in perfect position to suck the Bears' dicks.
    All Defense!

Seems like we've been having this same conversation for about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    So then you are saying if the Steelers won there would be no problems to fix because a win is a win? Sorry, the Steelers haven't played well all season. Luckily they were playing bad teams. Some fans are content with poor play while some fans want better.

Playing down to horrible teams has become a trend for Tomlin. The Steelers seem to struggle if low percentage plays aren't working.
    I can't believe that you got that out of my post.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    -O line is sub par because you saw BJ Finney and Chris Hubbard having to play due to injuries.
    -AB had another solid game, but where was the production from his supporting cast?
    -Steelers have to be better at converting 3rd downs and extending drives, and in most 3rd downs the ball is in the hands of #7. I would say that he needs to be better, like taking the check down to the open WR instead of looking for AB in double coverage.

The offense isn't producing, The offense runs thru #7. I still think he has the ability to lead the offense, but maybe the skills of Ben, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are all on the decline and father time is catching up with them.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

-O line is sub par because you saw BJ Finney and Chris Hubbard having to play due to injuries.
    The OL has been sub par since preseason. It didn't just start this game.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I never saw Connor ge the ball. Why not run it down their throats?
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    The OL has been sub par since preseason. It didn't just start this game.
    I disagree. I would have to say the Steelers O line played very well against the Vikings talented front 7.

As for the preseason.....its preseason and the starters were not in there that much, and even when they were, they were dealing with other backups in key skill positions. The Browns were undefeated in the preseason, so that shows how much it counts.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The non-holding calls were big.
    The two in overtime are obvious.

But, there was another blown call (PI) at the end of the first half with about 35 seconds left. It was a deep, deep pass. The CB clobbered Bryant... but, no flag. It was smart move by the CB, because Bryant might have scored (or, at worse, been in the red-zone).

If the Steelers had gotten that PI, they would have gotten the ball in the red-zone with two timeouts and 35 seconds.

Instead, they had to scramble around, wasting time and time out... and then, try a FG, which was blocked, and fumbled (et cetera).

Of course, we would not have had to rely on a PI (nor relied on a FG) if BB had connected with AB on the play previous to the aforementioned PI play. AB was wide, wide, wiiide open... but, an underthrown ball was broken up by the CB. No TD.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Ben needs to be throwing at tires after practice or something, his accuracy has been off. Balls sailing wide/short/tall he's missing his WR every way possible.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I disagree. I would have to say the Steelers O line played very well against the Vikings talented front 7.

As for the preseason.....its preseason and the starters were not in there that much, and even when they were, they were dealing with other backups in key skill positions. The Browns were undefeated in the preseason, so that shows how much it counts.
    I disagree. While the Vikings are very talented, they were also pushing the Steelers OL around all day. The OL underperformed.

Preseason isn't just about wins and losses. Starters not playing is a big reason why the product on the field has been so underwhelming for the first 3 weeks across the league.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

I disagree. While the Vikings are very talented, they were also pushing the Steelers OL around all day. The OL underperformed.

Preseason isn't just about wins and losses. Starters not playing is a big reason why the product on the field has been so underwhelming for the first 3 weeks across the league.
    Gilbert, DeCastro and Foster all graded out better than 81.9 against the Vikings according to PFF. Gilbert, DeCastro and AV all graded out over 82 against the Browns and 4 of the 5 linemen didn't yield a pressure that day.... I bet at least 25 other NFL teams wish their O line "underperformed" that poorly.

Gilbert, DeCastro and Foster all graded out better than 81.9 against the Vikings according to PFF. Gilbert, DeCastro and AV all graded out over 82 against the Browns and 4 of the 5 linemen didn't yield a pressure that day.... I bet at least 25 other NFL teams wish their O line "underperformed" that poorly.
    I watched the games so I really don't care what PFF says. The eye test tells me that they didn't do well in the run game since they were constantly getting pushed backward and couldn't open any holes. They did better in the passing game.

Go watch a replay of the Titans game against the Seahawks yesterday in which their OL dominated. Our OL is supposed to be on par with theirs but they're not playing anywhere close to the same level. Our OL is supposed to be one of the best in the NFL but no, they're not playing like it. That's called "underperforming".

As I've said in other posts, it's the whole offense, with AB being the only exception. Everyone else needs to pick up their game.

I watched the games so I really don't care what PFF says. The eye test tells me that they didn't do well in the run game since they were constantly getting pushed backward and couldn't open any holes. They did better in the passing game.

Go watch a replay of the Titans game against the Seahawks yesterday in which their OL dominated. Our OL is supposed to be on par with theirs but they're not playing anywhere close to the same level. Our OL is supposed to be one of the best in the NFL but no, they're not playing like it. That's called "underperforming".

As I've said in other posts, it's the whole offense, with AB being the only exception. Everyone else needs to pick up their game.
    Oh, I have watched the games and the Viking game was a good performance, with the exception of a few lapses by Villenueva. There aren't many holes in the NFL to run thru, but rather creases and the RB wasn't hitting those creases IMO. How many O lines dominate the LOS on a weekly basis?? The guys on the other side of the ball were on scholarship too and are trying hard.

This fan notion that their team should be blowing the opposition away on offense, but give up minimal yardage on defense every week is unfortunately unrealistic. Nobody is scheduling Austin Peay for homecoming in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Was the Oline missing both Foster and Gilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Was the Oline missing both Foster and Gilbert?
    Yep - Foster injured left hand (apparently thumb) in first Q and did not return

If it is broken I guess they can put a cast on it

After the anthem/AV questions today maybe Tomlin will have time to give some injury updates

Oh, I have watched the games and the Viking game was a good performance, with the exception of a few lapses by Villenueva. There aren't many holes in the NFL to run thru, but rather creases and the RB wasn't hitting those creases IMO. How many O lines dominate the LOS on a weekly basis?? The guys on the other side of the ball were on scholarship too and are trying hard.

This fan notion that their team should be blowing the opposition away on offense, but give up minimal yardage on defense every week is unfortunately unrealistic. Nobody is scheduling Austin Peay for homecoming in the NFL.
    LOL, college analogies. Yea, I get it. The other team was trying, gets paid, etc. I didn't say anything about "dominating on a weekly basis". There's an expectation based on past performance that's not being met.

We're just going to have to disagree on this one. No point in discussing it further.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

1. Ben not connecting to Martivis on the first play. ( these two need to work on their rhythm
    2. Eli Rogers botched punt return.
    3. Ben Sack fumble
    4. FG blocked at the end of the half giving points the other way.

Game Ball goes to: Jagaurs, Packers, and Colts for beating all AFC North teams.
    GOAT: The steelers offense and special teams.

Honorary mention: The defense played well . But looked gassed and totally fatigued in overtime.

Game ball: the American Flag. It's kept us all distracted from another miserable loss to another miserable team.