Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

(I put this in the Soapbox section purposely as to not clog up the NFL section with politics)

This weekend, President Trump made remarks that any player who kneels during the National Anthem should be suspended or fired. Players and owners alike come out denouncing the President's statements. I'm curious what everyone's opinion on this is.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Steelers not standing for anthem today

Just heard on the SNR that the Steelers will stay in the locker room today while the anthem is being played. Thanks a lot Trump..

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Steeler not standing for anthem today

Smart move to do it as a team and not create an incident on the sidelines while the anthem is played

Tomlin's comments - "we're not going to play politics - people shouldn't have to choose - we came here to play a football game"

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Smart move to do it as a team and not create an incident on the sidelines while the anthem is played

Tomlin's comments - "we're not going to play politics - people shouldn't have to choose - we came here to play a football game"

Unfortunately, it felt like the team was in the tunnel for most of the game as well.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Unfortunately, it felt like the team was in the tunnel for most of the game as well.
    True - you think anyone associated with the NFL (owner/player/coach) regardless of their politics wanted Trump to stir this up because he needs a distraction from all his screwups (e.g. - Cassidy/Graham in flames on Friday after John ("'I like people who weren't captured") McCain said he would pass on supporting Graham-Cassidy)?

I am desperate to escape Trump news and the SOB wants to be part of every story in every aspect of your life - that is how authoritarians seek to dominate

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

too bad it wasn't a "smart move " when he called Villanueva out after game. Villanueva jersey number one seller yesterday, what does that tell you people. Ok for Kaep and crew to take a knee, but Tomlin upset with Villanueva for standing. No way to justify that

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    too bad it wasn't a "smart move " when he called Villanueva out after game. Villanueva jersey number one seller yesterday, what does that tell you people. Ok for Kaep and crew to take a knee, but Tomlin upset with Villanueva for standing. No way to justify that
    I'm not sure I read where he called out Villanueva. I read where he said if an individual of the team wants to express his politics they'll support that, but I didn't read that as calling him out. I know Tomlin made it clear he was pissed the NFL was dragged into politics, which I agree with.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    I'm not sure I read where he called out Villanueva. I read where he said if an individual of the team wants to express his politics they'll support that, but I didn't read that as calling him out. I know Tomlin made it clear he was pissed the NFL was dragged into politics, which I agree with.
    a reporter asked him about it after game, he said he was looking for 100 percent participation from team. Pretty clear he was pissed he didn't get Villanuevas participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    Harrison and Tomlin both arguably took shots

Harrison did not think anyone was exempt.

"We thought we were all in attention with the same agreement, obviously, " he said. "But, I guess we weren't."

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind...them_vote.html

Transcript of Tomlin's postgame comments

Question: Re: Villaneueva being on the field for the anthem:

Tomlin: Like I said, I was looking for a hundred percent participation. We’re going to be respectful of our football team. Man, these are divisive times in the United States. and it’s a shame, but it is, but we’re not politicians. We’re coaches and professional athletes. If those of us are individuals choose to participate in politics in some way, I’m going to be supportive of that, butut when we come out of locker rooms, we come out of locker rooms to play football games, and to be quite honest with you I didn’t appreciate our football team being drug into politics this weekend. And I’m sure that’s a global perspective. But, we’re blessed to do this for a living, and so with that blessing comes responsibility. We understand that. We understand that we’re given a platform that’s a unique one. Many of us are called to maybe do things that we wouldn’t normally do because of that platform, where people apply pressure to us to do things because of that platform. The bottom line is we chose not to play ball today in that regard. Maybe we will, but today, we just said no.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...ce-transcript/

Tomlin now getting hammered by Fox News

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

AV is a hero and Tomlin tells grown men how to play a game.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    AV is a hero and Tomlin tells grown men how to play a game.
    A game that pays very well - we are not talking some rec league or after work coaching of Pop Warner ball here - saying it's a game is a way to trivialize someone's occupation

Tomlin is very well compensated to manage other very well compensated men - that is a business. Freelancing along with potential dissension within an organization can be bad for business.

If the players understood the entire team, including AV, would be bound by how the team voted (a point of uncertainty for me) then that was the deal

James Harrison, who is out of f***s to give about whether someone may be offended, appears to believe that was the case.

If so, AV undercut and showed up his teammates regardless of his motivation in doing so. AB has been roasted on this forum for drawing attention to himself in a manner that hurts the team by posters including me.

AV obviously feels strongly about his obligation to honor the flag but other players presumably have very strong opinions about how to respond to the provocations (which is what they are) of the President and accepted the vote of the team to respond by not appearing for the anthem. Presumably other players also would have preferred to appear for the anthem and place their hand over their heart but followed the decision of their co-workers not to do so. Now AV is portrayed as the only Steeler who wants to honor America. How would you feel if you had been placed in the position AV has placed his teammates?

This is an unfortunate situation, but I respectfully suggest that AV clearly being in the right on this is not as clear cut as I initially regarded it to be before reading about the process that led to the players deciding not to appear for the anthem.

Other than trying to hold his team together, which is part of the job

Why would a coach not want 100% participation, assuming the players did not understand AV had an opt-out option when they voted on a course of action?

Harrison certainly thought AV undercut his teammates

It is a tough call for players, coaches and owners who are having to deal with this because Trump decided to stir up shit to generate an applause line at a rally

Other than trying to hold his team together, which is part of the job

Why would a coach not want 100% participation, assuming the players did not understand AV had an opt-out option when they voted on a course of action?

Harrison certainly thought AV undercut his teammates

It is a tough call for players, coaches and owners who are having to deal with this because Trump decided to stir up shit to generate an applause line at a rally
    I agree, I think the majority of players and coaches are tired of talking about this crap and don't want the distraction. I use football and other entertainment to distract me from work and the other stressors of life and am pissed that I just cant watch a game without political and racial issues being discussed. Just like Kaepernicks right to kneel , AV has right not too. Then they will be held accountable by their actions. It doesn't bother me that Kaep is not on a team when people think he should be, that to me is him being held accountable for his actions. I am entitled to free speech but that doesn't mean it won't have consequences if i say something divisive. I do think minorities have some reasons to protest as well as protesting Trumps juvenille remarks. I just don't like the format they chose. I also don't like Trumps choice of words to get his applause either.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Steelers will NOT come on field for anthem.

Lifelong Steelers fan for 35+ years, but this really disappoints me. I have to think how would Art Rooney feel about this?

I don't care what Trump said, but this team needs to realize that a majority of the BLUE collar people that have supported them for years and years voted for this President.

And again please tell me why or what Kaperstink started this crap for? Blacks being killed by police? Please. Is it ironic the Steelers are playing in Chicago today where African Americans have killed African Americans at alarming rates for years now but yet NO NFL player or professional athlete has stood up to address the mayhem of South Chicago that has greatly affected the lives of African Americans a million times more than police shootings.

I just want to watch the Steelers play on Sunday. Please keep the political crap out of it, but now every NFL coverage is doing nothing but covering this crap.

Sad.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

this is a safety move .... not that I think anyone on the Steelers was going to sit but if all teams move to this perhaps they do not lose any more following ?

at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem and it had nothing to do with protests ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    this is a safety move .... not that I think anyone on the Steelers was going to sit but if all teams move to this perhaps they do not lose any more following ?

at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem and it had nothing to do with protests ...
    If Goodell was smart he would make all teams stay in like they used to, but hey its goodell

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    its a tradition to stand and face the flag during our national anthem
    Not true.

See: below

at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers not standing for anthem today

I think it's sad that honoring the flag and the people that fought for freedom has become a polarizing issue. It should be something that brings them together.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think it's sad that honoring the flag and the people that fought for freedom has become a polarizing issue. It should be something that brings them together.
    You are beginning to see the end of the NFL, disrespecting the flag at a sporting event is so wrong. They are football players and shouldnt be using that platform for anything else other than football

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Not sure why this was moved [EDIT just saw it was merged]. It directly affects the Steelers and his happening today.

Again, it's sad. People DIED so these selfish millionaires can live their lifestyle. The anthem has nothing to do with the police and everything to do with our country and the armed forces. If life is so unfair here MOVE.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If the players can't use football for anything other than football, why can everyone else use it for political purposes?

paid patriotic displays. Serious fundraising efforts. Now the President using it at a political rally.

Cant have it both ways. Agree or disagree with the messages, fine. Can't tell players to stay in their lane and then be cool with everyone else politicizing the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If the players can't use football for anything other than football, why can everyone else use it for political purposes?

paid patriotic displays. Serious fundraising efforts. Now the President using it at a political rally.

Cant have it both ways. Agree or disagree with the messages, fine. Can't tell players to stay in their lane and then be cool with everyone else politicizing the NFL
    I would agree with you if a selfish A hole player didn't start the whole thing. Do you think it's a coincidence that the NFL ratings went down after Kaperstink started all this crap?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I would agree with you if a selfish A hole player didn't start the whole thing. Do you think it's a coincidence that the NFL ratings went down after Kaperstink started all this crap?
    The NFL was using the anthem and the players to make political statements long before Kapernick.

Cant have it both ways.

The NFL was using the anthem and the players to make political statements long before Kapernick.

Cant have it both ways.
    If you call honoring people that have died, lost limbs and made the ultimate sacrifice a political statement then you live in the wrong country.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah we can.

We're the customers funding their whole business.

The customer is always right.

Paid patriotic displays are just ads. Politicians talk about and use anyone's jobs to their advantage and for fundraising. All external things happening around their jobs. When you, the entertainer, bring it into your job, it affects the nature of the entertainment and people start caring about that a lot more.

The whole thing is so mostly stupid in the first place. You want to protest police brutality or racial inequality, at least pick something relevant to protest. And definitely pick something whose meaning is not already taken by an unrelated subject that people feel strongly about.

It's about as intelligent as a bunch of high school kids burning down the children's hospital to protest the minimum wage, because the retarded kid thought it would be a good idea and they all followed his lead.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah we can.

We're the customers funding their whole business.

The customer is always right.

Paid patriotic displays are just ads. Politicians talk about and use anyone's jobs to their advantage and for fundraising. All external things happening around their jobs. When you, the entertainer, bring it into your job, it affects the nature of the entertainment and people start caring about that a lot more.

The whole thing is so mostly stupid in the first place. You want to protest police brutality or racial inequality, at least pick something relevant to protest. And definitely pick something whose meaning is not already taken by an unrelated subject that people feel strongly about.

It's about as intelligent as a bunch of high school kids burning down the children's hospital to protest the minimum wage, because the retarded kid thought it would be a good idea and they all followed his lead.
    Sure. You can disagree, not watch, agree, whatever. But my only minor point is that if side a gets to be political than side b does too. Appropriate or not isn't my issue.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

NFL stadiums are a workplace , they are being paid to be there and do their jobs ( football ) not protest ....
    once they step into a stadium they are on company time so to speak ...

the League should have made a statement as such when this started and used the personal conduct policy to back it up , instead they where soft on it and it took on a life of its own ..I mean they micromanage everything else about what goes on inside a stadium why not respect for country ???
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL stadiums are a workplace , they are being paid to be there and do their jobs ( football ) not protest ....

the League should have made a statement as such when this started and used the personal conduct policy to back it up , instead they where soft on it and it took on a life of its own ..I mean they micromanage everything else about what goes on inside a stadium why not respect for country ???
    I totally agree

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The NFL is a workplace but they are letting their employees protest so the whole “get paid to do your job” thing doesn’t work in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

this. dont get mad if a player's political stance doesnt match up your views and claim that politics needs to stay out of sports. especially if you reverse field and praise a player or coach's political stance when it matches your own. I see a lot of people consistently avoiding this common sense rhetoric. If only we all loved each other as much as some people love the flag. Anyone who thought the NFL wasnt dripping with politicizations long before Kaepernick simply hasnt been paying attention. Let people stand, sit, make a shrine to the flag with candle on the sideline, whatever they want. Its. Your. Right. Its not about what you and I want
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.