Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

(I put this in the Soapbox section purposely as to not clog up the NFL section with politics)

This weekend, President Trump made remarks that any player who kneels during the National Anthem should be suspended or fired. Players and owners alike come out denouncing the President's statements. I'm curious what everyone's opinion on this is.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Steelers not standing for anthem today

Just heard on the SNR that the Steelers will stay in the locker room today while the anthem is being played. Thanks a lot Trump..

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Steeler not standing for anthem today

Smart move to do it as a team and not create an incident on the sidelines while the anthem is played

Tomlin's comments - "we're not going to play politics - people shouldn't have to choose - we came here to play a football game"

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Steelers will NOT come on field for anthem.

Lifelong Steelers fan for 35+ years, but this really disappoints me. I have to think how would Art Rooney feel about this?

I don't care what Trump said, but this team needs to realize that a majority of the BLUE collar people that have supported them for years and years voted for this President.

And again please tell me why or what Kaperstink started this crap for? Blacks being killed by police? Please. Is it ironic the Steelers are playing in Chicago today where African Americans have killed African Americans at alarming rates for years now but yet NO NFL player or professional athlete has stood up to address the mayhem of South Chicago that has greatly affected the lives of African Americans a million times more than police shootings.

I just want to watch the Steelers play on Sunday. Please keep the political crap out of it, but now every NFL coverage is doing nothing but covering this crap.

Sad.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

this is a safety move .... not that I think anyone on the Steelers was going to sit but if all teams move to this perhaps they do not lose any more following ?

at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem and it had nothing to do with protests ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    this is a safety move .... not that I think anyone on the Steelers was going to sit but if all teams move to this perhaps they do not lose any more following ?

at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem and it had nothing to do with protests ...
    If Goodell was smart he would make all teams stay in like they used to, but hey its goodell

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers not standing for anthem today

I think it's sad that honoring the flag and the people that fought for freedom has become a polarizing issue. It should be something that brings them together.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think it's sad that honoring the flag and the people that fought for freedom has become a polarizing issue. It should be something that brings them together.
    You are beginning to see the end of the NFL, disrespecting the flag at a sporting event is so wrong. They are football players and shouldnt be using that platform for anything else other than football

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Not sure why this was moved [EDIT just saw it was merged]. It directly affects the Steelers and his happening today.

Again, it's sad. People DIED so these selfish millionaires can live their lifestyle. The anthem has nothing to do with the police and everything to do with our country and the armed forces. If life is so unfair here MOVE.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If the players can't use football for anything other than football, why can everyone else use it for political purposes?

paid patriotic displays. Serious fundraising efforts. Now the President using it at a political rally.

Cant have it both ways. Agree or disagree with the messages, fine. Can't tell players to stay in their lane and then be cool with everyone else politicizing the NFL

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

This upsets me...a lot.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

B.S...RESPECT THE FLAG!...Not sure how Art sr.would feel but probably fire anyone who didnt stand..Dan R was an obama fan so he would support it in my opinion..Art jr who knows...i agree with Trump...stand or not play!...

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If the players can't use football for anything other than football, why can everyone else use it for political purposes?

paid patriotic displays. Serious fundraising efforts. Now the President using it at a political rally.

Cant have it both ways. Agree or disagree with the messages, fine. Can't tell players to stay in their lane and then be cool with everyone else politicizing the NFL
    I would agree with you if a selfish A hole player didn't start the whole thing. Do you think it's a coincidence that the NFL ratings went down after Kaperstink started all this crap?

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Meh, I agree with Tomlin, just keep your players away from the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Meh, I agree with Tomlin, just keep your players away from the BS.
    Nah, man up and tell your team that you will all be coming out to stand and honor the men and women, some of which can no longer stand because they're missing limbs, who have fought and are fighting to allow you to live free and play a GAME for a living. To me these people far outnumber one President you may or may not disagree with.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I applaud the move. No more show of unification than doing this together. It's not about the anthem, it's about not being diverse and that's what the team is doing, they are standing together as one. Lets not for get this team has a Captain in the Army that was awarded a Bronze Star for Valor and served not one, not two but three tours in Afghanistan. If he's fine with it and the team is fine with it, who cares? The anthem has become a disaster in sports and let's be honest, there's really no reason for the anthem before sporting events...other than special games, it's time consuming nonsense. Literally, stay out of the bullshit.

The NFL and it's players are making the anthem more diverse than anything else in this country. It's slowly becoming the symbol of diversity in this country. If you start asking random people to say the first thing that pops in their head when you say the words National Anthem, the answers are going to be more diversified than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The president throwing gas on the fire isn't helping...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Trump is partly to blame for this, he fanned the flames and turned kneeling into a way to protest him and what he said.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The anthem has become a disaster in sports and let's be honest, there's really no reason for the anthem before sporting events...other than special games, it's time consuming nonsense. Literally, stay out of the bullshit.
    This thread needs some levity...

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

This feels wrong to me, its a tradition to stand and face the flag during our national anthem and staying in the locker room seems like everyone taking a knee. James Harrison said if your not stading for the anthem u' d better have a broken leg. The President is calling players on their bullshit, Your an American citizen stand for our National Anthem.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I would agree with you if a selfish A hole player didn't start the whole thing. Do you think it's a coincidence that the NFL ratings went down after Kaperstink started all this crap?
    The NFL was using the anthem and the players to make political statements long before Kapernick.

Cant have it both ways.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The NFL and it's players are making the anthem more diverse than anything else in this country. It's slowly becoming the symbol of diversity in this country.
    The actions may be diverse, but the thought process is anything but. The president said some things, so we're going to stand together to snub it to him. That's not "diversity". There's diversity in action, and then there's diversity in thought.

Trump got the NFL to fall into line and be united, just by criticizing them. Wether you like him or not, his words have power and sent waves across the country. That's why he's the leader, not in what this country wants, but what this country needed.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    This feels wrong to me, its a tradition to stand and face the flag during our national anthem and staying in the locker room seems like everyone taking a knee. James Harrison said if your not stading for the anthem u' d better have a broken leg. The President is calling players on their bullshit, Your an American citizen stand for our National Anthem.
    Deebo never said that. That was an internet hoax. #fakenews

From last year:http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...nthem-harrison

That fake tweet/instagram appeared again this year and has been recycled endlessly.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    its a tradition to stand and face the flag during our national anthem
    Not true.

See: below

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    at the end of the day teams used to stay in the locker room for the anthem

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Yeah we can.

We're the customers funding their whole business.

The customer is always right.

Paid patriotic displays are just ads. Politicians talk about and use anyone's jobs to their advantage and for fundraising. All external things happening around their jobs. When you, the entertainer, bring it into your job, it affects the nature of the entertainment and people start caring about that a lot more.

The whole thing is so mostly stupid in the first place. You want to protest police brutality or racial inequality, at least pick something relevant to protest. And definitely pick something whose meaning is not already taken by an unrelated subject that people feel strongly about.

It's about as intelligent as a bunch of high school kids burning down the children's hospital to protest the minimum wage, because the retarded kid thought it would be a good idea and they all followed his lead.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Lots of protests about Chicago violence. https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ities-all-time

A few ESPYS ago multiple athletes spoke out against violence of all kinds..

Were these guys wrong?
    https://goo.gl/images/ZGQ7vg

Teams use to stay in the locker room, the anthem has become about the players kneeling and thats all the media talks about. Staying in the locker room removes the media aspect of seeing who is kneeling and who is not. If they always stayed in the locker room this would have never been an issue at all!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah we can.

We're the customers funding their whole business.

The customer is always right.

Paid patriotic displays are just ads. Politicians talk about and use anyone's jobs to their advantage and for fundraising. All external things happening around their jobs. When you, the entertainer, bring it into your job, it affects the nature of the entertainment and people start caring about that a lot more.

The whole thing is so mostly stupid in the first place. You want to protest police brutality or racial inequality, at least pick something relevant to protest. And definitely pick something whose meaning is not already taken by an unrelated subject that people feel strongly about.

It's about as intelligent as a bunch of high school kids burning down the children's hospital to protest the minimum wage, because the retarded kid thought it would be a good idea and they all followed his lead.
    Sure. You can disagree, not watch, agree, whatever. But my only minor point is that if side a gets to be political than side b does too. Appropriate or not isn't my issue.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This thread needs some levity...

You sir win the internet for September 24, 2017.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Meanwhile, in Puerto Rico...
    Second Place in the internets for September 24, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler