Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

So how many are protesting today? None. How many will protest tomorrow? None. I guess they have to wait until 1PM EST Sunday to perform their next 2 minute protest.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    if the NFL is a business as they keep claiming then Stadiums are a workplace ... last I checked its not OK to protest while on the clock , that is something you have a right to do but to do on your own time ...

fans are paying for a product if they are not happy with said product they have a right to voice their opinion for it is them ( the fans ) that are flipping the bill for the entire shooting match
    How can you say it’s not alright to protest on the clock? The NFL isn’t your business. If the nFL says it’s okay, which they have, then their employees can do it. You and I may not have that fringe benefit, but evidently the NFL players do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    How can you say it’s not alright to protest on the clock? The NFL isn’t your business. If the nFL says it’s okay, which they have, then their employees can do it. You and I may not have that fringe benefit, but evidently the NFL players do.
    we may have " league owners" but what they really are is league profiteers , League guiders , we the fans are the ones truly in control as for without us the lights do not stay on ...

take fans out of the equation and just how long does said league continue to pay multi million $$ salaries ?
    How long do they remain on TV ?

TV deals go
    Endorsement deals go
    Naming rights to stadiums go
    Team gear sales go

and all these "owners" are left with is big contracts a mountain of debt ...

so yes in a way me and millions like me do have a say because staying away sinks their money ship or at the very least changes the way said ship looks ...

many people are fine with the protest or will deal with it , many are not and won't .... the league needs both sides to continue viewership or it can not continue with business as usual , changes will have to be made to offset less revenue

you can't alienate your miners or your gold mine quits making gold ... new miners are hard to come by
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

we may have " league owners" but what they really are is league profiteers , League guiders , we the fans are the ones truly in control as for without us the lights do not stay on ...

take fans out of the equation and just how long does said league continue to pay multi million $$ salaries ?

TV deals go
    Endorsement deals go
    Team gear sales go

so yes in a way me and millions like me do have a say because staying away sinks their money ship or at the very least changes the way said ship looks ...

many people are fine with the protest or will deal with it , many are not and won't .... the league needs both sides to continue viewership or it can not continue with business as usual , changes will have to be made to offset less revenue

you can't alienate your miners or your gold mine quits making gold ... new miners are hard to come by
    But as you note, the league needs all sides to continue watching.

If the NFL says no protests/no way doesn't that run the risk of alienating the not insignificant portion of the customer base (and that is what we are - we no more control the NFL than we do Amazon or WalMart) that is not on board with the position of President Trump on this

Not certain there is any clear winner of a position for the NFL to take on this

FWIW AJRII issued this letter this morning on the Steelers position

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But as you note, the league needs all sides to continue watching.

If the NFL says no protests/no way doesn't that run the risk of alienating the not insignificant portion of the customer base (and that is what we are - we no more control the NFL than we do Amazon or WalMart) that is not on board with the position of President Trump on this

Not certain there is any clear winner of a position for the NFL to take on this

FWIW AJRII issued this letter this morning on the Steelers position

1 person alone may not have an effect , but millions will , 10s of millions will .....

I believe by allowing such protests more people are alienated than would be by not allowing the protest , I do not have data to prove it other than population percentages and videos I have watched of people of Color complaining as well reducing the number of ones effected on that side ...

as for Rooney , I won't even read it , I read his earlier statement ....
    if they wanted to send a MSG of Unity and not one of protest they should have announced it PRIOR to being disrespectful not after they see backlash of their actions and go into self preservation mode

this isnt about who is President or what he said for me , for me I said when this whole take a knee shit started if it happens in a game I ma watching and I see it I will turn it off and I have...
    if the Steelers disrespect the flag/anthem I am done with them ... and I am

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

1 person alone may not have an effect , but millions will , 10s of millions will .....

I believe by allowing such protests more people are alienated than would be by not allowing the protest , I do not have data to prove it other than population percentages and videos I have watched of people of Color complaining as well reducing the number of ones effected on that side
    Got it

FYI this was a poll from 2016 before the protest debate became more closely tied to President Trump

All American adults disapprove 54 - 38 percent of athletes refusing to stand during the National Anthem in protest of perceived police violence against the black community, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today.

https://poll.qu.edu/search-releases/...87#Question013

FYI here is a poll for the largest media market in the country with 4 franchises

Before Sunday's games, the poll found that 47 percent of Californians supported the protests, with 38 percent opposing. After Sunday, the figure changed to 52 percent support and 37 percent opposed.

http://abc7.com/politics/poll-half-o...tests/2453648/

This poll specifically addresses the position of the President that protesters should be fired

61% Oppose Firing NFL Players Who Refuse to Stand for National Anthem, but 65% of Republicans Say Players Should be Fired

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-61-op...ns-say-players

As I posted above, I do not see a lot of upside with having the choice of potentially alienating either 54% or 38% of your customer base

You potentially lose a lot of viewers either way, which does not even take into account the issue of also having to deal with what your employees think about this

Not any win-win choice for the NFL that I see here

Got it

FYI this was a poll from 2016 before the protest debate became more closely tied to President Trump

All American adults disapprove 54 - 38 percent of athletes refusing to stand during the National Anthem in protest of perceived police violence against the black community, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today.

https://poll.qu.edu/search-releases/...87#Question013

FYI here is a poll for the largest media market in the country with 4 franchises

Before Sunday's games, the poll found that 47 percent of Californians supported the protests, with 38 percent opposing. After Sunday, the figure changed to 52 percent support and 37 percent opposed.

http://abc7.com/politics/poll-half-o...tests/2453648/

This poll specifically addresses the position of the President that protesters should be fired

61% Oppose Firing NFL Players Who Refuse to Stand for National Anthem, but 65% of Republicans Say Players Should be Fired

https://www.cato.org/blog/poll-61-op...ns-say-players

As I posted above, I do not see a lot of upside with having the choice of potentially alienating either 54% or 38% of your customer base

You potentially lose a lot of viewers either way, which does not even take into account the issue of also having to deal with what your employees think about this

Not any win-win choice for the NFL that I see here
    it could have all been avoided with the first knee taken , just like celebrations are controlled by the league ,wearing a Nike or other sports branded headband , shoes , jersey or helmet emblems or whatever .... a large fine would have nipped it in the butt and it would not have got to the point it is at now

take those fines and donate the money to disabled or homeless vets

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

As long as we keep things divided along partisan lines, there will never be solution or peace. This is NOT a rep/dem issue, this is an American civil rights issue.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

TV deals go
    Endorsement deals go
    Team gear sales go

It’s fans as a “whole”, but you’ll never get the fans as a “whole”. You’d never be able to get them unified enough to matter. So you may be correct to say that but in actuality, the NFL is the company and the owners are the ones that run it regardless of the fans.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    As long as we keep things divided along partisan lines, there will never be solution or peace. This is NOT a rep/dem issue, this is an American civil rights issue.
    What it certainly is NOT, is a football/entertainment issue. I would prefer it if there were some corner of the world where one could go without being assaulted by political bullshit every tenth of a second. Sometimes people want to think about something else. I would say it's healthy to take you mind off it for a good long stretch at a time, in fact. But - nope, gotta keep on making noise until it's everywhere.

By the way, this is neither a political issue nor a civil rights issue. The issue is that most people are not necessarily good by nature, and that there is not, and never has been, enough to go around for everyone comfortably. Politics is not going to solve that, infantile tantrums even less so.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    So how many are protesting today? None. How many will protest tomorrow? None. I guess they have to wait until 1PM EST Sunday to perform their next 2 minute protest.

THIS CAN NOT BE OVERLOOKED OR OVER STATED !!!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

A group of NFL players has asked for league assistance in developing a program for sponsored social activism.

A list of players that is too long to detail have foundations and charitable organizations that are highly active and engaged in communities across the country.

In the past 1100 days there have been over 2100 rallies, vigils, and/or protests that address many of the issues recently taken up by NFL players.

In the past several years there have been almost weekly rallies, protest, and gatherings in Chicago to attempt to address the violence at a community/neighborhood level.

I mean just because each of us is not intimately aware of what is or is not going on -- doesn't mean things are not happening.

But, again, what do I know? I'm just one jerk with Google and a bit of free time.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    A group of NFL players has asked for league assistance in developing a program for sponsored social activism.

A list of players that is too long to detail have foundations and charitable organizations that are highly active and engaged in communities across the country.

In the past 1100 days there have been over 2100 rallies, vigils, and/or protests that address many of the issues recently taken up by NFL players.

In the past several years there have been almost weekly rallies, protest, and gatherings in Chicago to attempt to address the violence at a community/neighborhood level.

I mean just because each of us is not intimately aware of what is or is not going on -- doesn't mean things are not happening.

But, again, what do I know? I'm just one jerk with Google and a bit of free time.
    This completely. If you want to be informed, then be informed.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I don't see how anyone can criticise AV for what he did. If all this is about freedom of expression, AV has the right to stand when the anthem is played like everyone else has not to. Moreover, he personally risked his life so that he and everyone else have this right. Freedom of expression doesn't work only one way.

DirecTV is offering unprecedented refunds for fans who want to cancel their NFL Sunday Ticket package, if they inform the company that they are doing so due to the recent protests during the national anthem, a source confirmed.

Once the season starts, fans usually cannot cancel their subscriptions, but AT&T, which owns DirecTV, decided to change the policy due to the sensitivity of the issue.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ticket-package

I cynically think an extraordinarily high % of those who subscribe to The Ticket and actually pay anything close to full price for it (I have gone from getting it at no additional charge to getting it for no additional charge along with getting a significant knockoff of my regular monthly programming bill by annually threatening to cut the cord) are addicted enough to the NFL that DirecTV may be calling the bluff of those who call up and have threatened to cancel during the past few days. After the incensed "cancel my subscription!" call, sound of crickets and stammering on the other end of the line after the DirecTV rep says fine, we terminated it and will refund your payment

Smart PR move, although if there are are any significant reductions in Ticket subscriptions DirecTV is cooked since their business model is based on exclusively having The Ticket that cable and other streaming services do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    I don't see how anyone can criticise AV for what he did. If all this is about freedom of expression, AV has the right to stand when the anthem is played like everyone else has not to. Moreover, he personally risked his life so that he and everyone else have this right. Freedom of expression doesn't work only one way.
    His teammates were literally 10-15 feet behind him. It’s not like they were in the locker room and he was outside.

BurghBoy412

I cannot believe we're still talking about this. There's either a solution or you're all just really sick people that love to argue. Let it go! How about you stop being internet activists, shut down your computer, go outside and take some action to change things. We can argue about this till the end of time. It's not changing anything. If you want to change things take some action. Go out in your community and make an effort to better this World. Otherwise you're just sitting here spinning your wheels wasting time. Why don't you stop looking at what needs to be changed in the World and start looking at what you can change within yourself. Debate, Debate, Debate. It changes nothing. That's why the World is in the state that it's in. Because everyone talks and talks and talks about change but takes no action.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

From now on I am sitting every time I post on this forum.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I think AV got tired of all the BS and did what his heart guided him to do. He was right to not be afraid to show respect for our country.
    This. Anyone who thinks AV didn't do the right thing has a few screws loose. AV isn't just a football player. He is a Veteran first and foremost.

A huge and very heartfelt thank you to all our servicemen and women. YOU are the true heroes. Not Big Ben, not James Harrison, not Antonio Brown, or any other NFL player. Not Donald Trump and not Roger Goodell, but all our servicemen and women.

I'm going to the game in Baltimore on Sunday. My husband and I will be standing for the National Anthem. He will take off his ballcap, we will have our right hand over our heart, and I will be singing along.

Anyway, let's hope for a Steelers win on Sunday, and that my husband and I get out of Baltimore with all four tires still on our vehicle.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

DirecTV is offering unprecedented refunds for fans who want to cancel their NFL Sunday Ticket package, if they inform the company that they are doing so due to the recent protests during the national anthem, a source confirmed.

Once the season starts, fans usually cannot cancel their subscriptions, but AT&T, which owns DirecTV, decided to change the policy due to the sensitivity of the issue.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ticket-package

I cynically think an extraordinarily high % of those who subscribe to The Ticket and actually pay anything close to full price for it (I have gone from getting it at no additional charge to getting it for no additional charge along with getting a significant knockoff of my regular monthly programming bill by annually threatening to cut the cord) are addicted enough to the NFL that DirecTV may be calling the bluff of those who call up and have threatened to cancel during the past few days. After the incensed "cancel my subscription!" call, sound of crickets and stammering on the other end of the line after the DirecTV rep says fine, we terminated it and will refund your payment

Smart PR move, although if there are are any significant reductions in Ticket subscriptions DirecTV is cooked since their business model is based on exclusively having The Ticket that cable and other streaming services do not have.
    I LOVE the Sunday ticket!! We're new to DirecTV, so this season is free for us, but my son wants to keep it. I have no clue how much it costs. He's a college student, so if it's outrageously priced I don't know if I'd be willing to keep it. But I will say we're all really enjoying it. I would love to know what a season costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    I LOVE the Sunday ticket!! We're new to DirecTV, so this season is free for us, but my son wants to keep it. I have no clue how much it costs. He's a college student, so if it's outrageously priced I don't know if I'd be willing to keep it. But I will say we're all really enjoying it. I would love to know what a season costs.
    List price $270 for Sunday Ticket - $360 for Sunday Ticket Max (can watch on one another device (phone, iPad, Roku) at same time if you want to keep track of a second game at same time, are away from your dish and want to watch The Ticket or, although this of course would be very wrong, allow someone else to watch the Ticket through a streaming device while you are getting The Ticket through satellite signal to your TV)

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

List price $270 for Sunday Ticket - $360 for Sunday Ticket Max (can watch on one another device (phone, iPad, Roku) at same time if you want to keep track of a second game at same time, are away from your dish and want to watch The Ticket or, although this of course would be very wrong, allow someone else to watch the Ticket through a streaming device while you are getting The Ticket through satellite signal to your TV)
    Thank you for the info! Seems kinda high, but I don't know since you get a lot for that price. Have to talk to the hubs I guess. He might not care since he likes it so much, but I think it sounds like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    I have been with DirectTV since 1995. I have never paid for Sunday Ticket since they started their 'new subscriber' promotion. Once the season starts, call and ask them to give it to you like they do for new subscribers. If they say 'no, it will cost this much', tell them you don't want to pay for it. This sends your call to retention. The retention people are told to do whatever it takes to keep you as a customer. Personally, I don't watch enough NFL to warrant getting it even if free. But one thing I have found with DirectTV is, if you don't like the answer you get the first time, call back and talk with a different person. They do have the latitude to get you what you want. Just have to get someone that will do it.

seem like the vast majority of America agrees and will likely cost the NFL but its a poll so who the hell knows for sure but guessing we have a better idea real soon

http://consjournal.com/was-trump-rig...st-weighed-in/

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Trump should have told them that they can stand or bend the knee to worship him and then they all would have been on their feet.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

seem like the vast majority of America agrees and will likely cost the NFL but its a poll so who the hell knows for sure but guessing we have a better idea real soon

http://consjournal.com/was-trump-rig...st-weighed-in/
    http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

Civil Rights and the March on Washington polled poorly at the time as well

As you pointed out earlier today, polls are often unreliable. After all it was polling data in 2012 that led to Karl Rove melting down on TV. It was polling data that drove the "no path to victory" narrative in 2016.

Additionally, the Remington Group is a public opinion firm run by the dude who is behind Ted Cruz. So maybe not a totally unbiased source.

Here is survey that says basically the opposite - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sts/702142001/

It is possible that survey is skewed as it was part of a broader survey about free speech and the Cato Institute has a heavy libertarian slant and is backed by the Koch brothers who hate them some Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

Civil Rights and the March on Washington polled poorly at the time as well

As you pointed out earlier today, polls are often unreliable. After all it was polling data in 2012 that led to Karl Rove melting down on TV. It was polling data that drove the "no path to victory" narrative in 2016.

Additionally, the Remington Group is a public opinion firm run by the dude who is behind Ted Cruz. So maybe not a totally unbiased source.

Here is survey that says basically the opposite - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sts/702142001/

It is possible that survey is skewed as it was part of a broader survey about free speech and the Cato Institute has a heavy libertarian slant and is backed by the Koch brothers who hate them some Trump.
    all this is why " News" in general is worthless ...

its all propaganda and what it says will be greatly determined by where you get it and how that said source feels on the topic at hand ....

there is no Walter Cronkite's anymore , there is no journalism anymore everything is on a hard slant and much is simply just made up ....

so at the end of the day you take what you see , what you hear , what you feel and draw your own conclusions and live with the fall out good / bad or indifferent
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 09-27-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo

Why do all these people do their ranting inside their cars? Don't they have homes?

Or is their family so sick of their ranting and ravings that they have been vanished to their cars?

So many questions...so little desire to know the answers...