Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers not standing for anthem today

This country was founded by groups of people protesting the actions of what they saw as an unjust and unfair system instituted by the government. Many people agreed with those protests. Many did not.

Seems to me that crapping on people that are choosing to voice their opinions, no matter how distasteful we may find them and vehemently we may disagree with them, kinda misses the whole point of this experiment in democracy that we call our country.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This country was founded by groups of people protesting the actions of what they saw as an unjust and unfair system instituted by the government. Many people agreed with those protests. Many did not.

Seems to me that crapping on people that are choosing to voice their opinions, no matter how distasteful we may find them and vehemently we may disagree with them, kinda misses the whole point of this experiment in democracy that we call our country.

They had a spine back then, today that are spineless jelly fish.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    By the way, the link for the games you gave out stopped working 5 minutes in.
    I am still watching it .... idk ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I for one have had it with the non stop coverage of what NFL players do during the national anthem and the politicization of the national anthem in general. Wish we would all just move on, come together, and enjoy football

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The right to peaceful protest. Respect it or lose it. When the peaceful attempts fail, things turn every time. Personally, I would rather have ALL people kneeling for the anthem, than shooting at each other. If you post on forums about how you detest the players kneeling during the anthem, your peaceful protests are respected. If you applaud the players kneeling during the anthem, your peaceful protest is respected also. It's about mutual respect, not 'my way or the highway'. This is how we move forward.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Gotta admit, for the first time in my life while watching the Steelers, I felt a bit apathetic about the game.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Trump's remarks about NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem

They were divisive and should not have been made. Trump just wanted to give his most ardent fans excited about him again after he sold out to the Dems on the debt ceiling and endorsed a liberal establishment republican over a conservative in a GOP senate primary. It was a cheap divisive political stunt from an orange clown

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

If the players can't use football for anything other than football, why can everyone else use it for political purposes?

paid patriotic displays. Serious fundraising efforts. Now the President using it at a political rally.

Cant have it both ways. Agree or disagree with the messages, fine. Can't tell players to stay in their lane and then be cool with everyone else politicizing the NFL
    this. dont get mad if a player's political stance doesnt match up your views and claim that politics needs to stay out of sports. especially if you reverse field and praise a player or coach's political stance when it matches your own. I see a lot of people consistently avoiding this common sense rhetoric. If only we all loved each other as much as some people love the flag. Anyone who thought the NFL wasnt dripping with politicizations long before Kaepernick simply hasnt been paying attention. Let people stand, sit, make a shrine to the flag with candle on the sideline, whatever they want. Its. Your. Right. Its not about what you and I want
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The NFL was using the anthem and the players to make political statements long before Kapernick.

Cant have it both ways.
    If you call honoring people that have died, lost limbs and made the ultimate sacrifice a political statement then you live in the wrong country.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

That's if they are actually protesting something they believe in and if it is something valid/legit. Most, if not all, of these players are just being spoiled brats, IMO.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

The players have every right to kneel just as I have every right to disagree with them. I don't like it and this is one time I wish Trump wouldn't have said anything. The NFL is officially ruined for me.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    If you call honoring people that have died, lost limbs and made the ultimate sacrifice a political statement then you live in the wrong country.
    pro-militarism, anti-militarism, doesnt matter. its all politicizations. regardless of where one stands on that ideological spectrum isnt necessarily a negative. its just an opinion, and a perfectly legal one.

not sure why "political statement" has a negative connotation attached to it here. everyones stance in this thread is literally an embodiment of the aforementioned phrase
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The right to peaceful protest. Respect it or lose it. When the peaceful attempts fail, things turn every time. Personally, I would rather have ALL people kneeling for the anthem, than shooting at each other. If you post on forums about how you detest the players kneeling during the anthem, your peaceful protests are respected. If you applaud the players kneeling during the anthem, your peaceful protest is respected also. It's about mutual respect, not 'my way or the highway'. This is how we move forward.
    So the only two routes to go are kneeling or shooting each other? How about stand to show respect and then go play the game you are paid millions to do? Funny how none of them protest after the game is over.
    Hater = Realist

That's if they are actually protesting something they believe in and if it is something valid/legit. Most, if not all, of these players are just being spoiled brats, IMO.
    Who are you to set the ground rules or even suggest what is something to believe in and what is valid?

Spoiled or not, it's very clearly within your rights

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    The players have every right to kneel just as I have every right to disagree with them. I don't like it and this is one time I wish Trump wouldn't have said anything. The NFL is officially ruined for me.
    I am glad Trump spoke about it.
    Hater = Realist

So the only two routes to go are kneeling or shooting each other? How about stand to show respect and then go play the game you are paid millions to do? Funny how none of them protest after the game is over.
    No it isnt, but that kind of rhetoric reminds me of a very applicable quote in today's day and age:

"Those who make peaceful protest impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Who are you to set the ground rules or even suggest what is something to believe in and what is valid?

Spoiled or not, it's very clearly within your rights
    I doubt any of them are protesting anything. They are just following a stupid, millennial trend.

Kaepernick was protesting what was actually a lie.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Do most of these guys even know why they're protesting? They're playing football, a game. Why are they all of a sudden social justice warriors? I also want to reiterate that I respect their right to protest but at this point (today specifically) I feel that they're just doing it to spite Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    Do most of these guys even know why they're protesting? They're playing football, a game. Why are they all of a sudden social justice warriors? I also want to reiterate that I respect their right to protest but at this point (today specifically) I feel that they're just doing it to spite Trump.
    It's a trend.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This thread is just about the saddest thing I have ever read.

half the Nation agrees with Trump , half does not .the NFL needs both sides to continue to be successful and pay big $$ ...this could go bad for the league and they will only have themselves to blame with their political correctness / lets not offend anyone attitude that ended up offending half the country

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

This thread is just about the saddest thing I have ever read.
    It is indeed, and it should be down in the soapbox with the rest of the political bullshit.
    Last edited by Shoes; 09-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    half the Nation agrees with Trump , half does not .the NFL needs both sides to continue to be successful and pay big $$ ...this could go bad for the league and they will only have themselves to blame with their political correctness / lets not offend anyone attitude that ended up offending half the country
    The league had issues before trump. It could also turn more trump supporters away too. NFL players will still be millionaires and trump will unfortunately still be trump.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    No it isnt, but that kind of rhetoric reminds me of a very applicable quote in today's day and age:

"Those who make peaceful protest impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK
    I didn't mean to quote JFK, but pretty much exactly what I was saying as well. There is lots of room between kneeling and shooting, I was merely making the issue between peaceful and violent protest. Both of which we have seen in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerschik View Post
    The league had issues before trump. It could also turn more trump supporters away too. NFL players will still be millionaires and trump will unfortunately still be trump.

not saying the nation didnt , not am I laying blame on Trump for it ...

the point here is the NFL needs both sides of this issue to remain viable ....

they need /needed to do a better job in managing this PRIOR to trump speaking up and needed to do a better job after trump spoke up ... I believe ( I could be wrong ) that the league alienated more fans than they attracted with its actions ( and lack there of ) and when in business that is NEVER a good thing for the bottom line ....

Players rely on ticket sales , jersey sales , TV deals to get paid big contracts ..without People like you and me that isnt accomplished ...

I personally have spent my last dime on this league , you may feel differently but the league itself needs us both to continue on the track they are on ...

that is my point

Senior Member Array title="Steelerschik is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    not saying the nation didnt , not am I laying blame on Trump for it ...

the point here is the NFL needs both sides of this issue to remain viable ....

they need /needed to do a better job in managing this PRIOR to trump speaking up and needed to do a better job after trump spoke up ... I believe ( I could be wrong ) that the league alienated more fans than they attracted with its actions ( and lack there of ) and when in business that is NEVER a good thing for the bottom line ....

Players rely on ticket sales , jersey sales , TV deals to get paid big contracts ..without People like you and me that isnt accomplished ...

I personally have spent my last dime on this league , you may feel differently but the league itself needs us both to continue on the track they are on ...

that is my point
    Yep, I get where you're coming from. Believe me when I tell you I respect all opinions. Unlike you though, I'll continue being a glutton for punishment every week, along with my husband and kids, bitch, moan and groan and I'll STILL be the fool spending money. I don't drink, I don't smoke, this damn game is my only vice.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Karma?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Karma?
    Most of the f**king league protested in one form or another

I am p***ed off about the game but are you serious?

fansince76 - this is the 2008 election SFF threads on steroids - any chance posters are encourage to save this for the soapbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    It is indeed, and it should be down in the soapbox with the rest of the political bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Most of the f**king league protested in one form or another

I am p***ed off about the game but are you serious?

fansince76 - this is the 2008 election SFF threads on steroids - any chance posters are encourage to save this for the soapbox?

Agreed, lets start a protest thread!