Thread: Remembering The Unforgettable: Mike Glennon’s 2014 Victory Vs. Steelers

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Remembering The Unforgettable: Mike Glennon’s 2014 Victory Vs. Steelers

For the Pittsburgh Steelers, it will be a trip down memory lane Sunday when they go head to head with quarterback Mike Glennon and his Chicago Bears. Though this trip will not be filled with colourful scenery and beauty but of painful trauma and tragedy. The last time the Steelers saw Glennon was three years ago as the team watched in disbelief as the then Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback capped off an improbable comeback with a last second touchdown pass to defeat the Steelers at Heinz Field.

While the Steelers have had the last laugh, reaching the postseason in each of the three seasons since while Glennon has not won a game since his heroic comeback, there is still an uneasy fear surrounding their rematch Sunday. It is said that the best way to conquer fear is to embrace it or rationalize it, and for that a recall to September 28th, 2014 is required. By the end of our voyage, any fear of Glennon having an encore performance against the Steelers should be dispelled.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...elers+Depot%29

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Remembering The Unforgettable: Mike Glennon’s 2014 Victory Vs. Steelers

That sure is an unforgettable game alright, memorable for how vomit inducing it was. This stinker and the losing streak of 2009 was the worst of Tomlin's playing down to bad teams tendency

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    That sure is an unforgettable game alright, memorable for how vomit inducing it was. This stinker and the losing streak of 2009 was the worst of Tomlin's playing down to bad teams tendency
    It was so bad that the Fire Tomlin thread started after this game!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It was so bad that the Fire Tomlin thread started after this game!
    Yep, right after the game ended if I'm not mistaken

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yet another example as to why the Steelers held onto Dick Lebeau too long. I didn't want to believe it at the time, but the demise of the Lebeau D occurred in this game and season, or if you want to go further, the Tebow game was the end of the Dick Lebeau Defense. Any old schmuck quarterback could tear apart the Lebeau Zone. It wasn't just Glennon. Brian Hoyer and Joe Flacco tore it apart also.

This game didn't really bother me that much, because I was pretty much expecting a loss when Ben and the Offense failed to get a single first down, that, and I've already seen the Steelers lose to the Raiders in 2009, and Tebow in 2011, and to no ones surprise, the team shit the bed later that year to the 1-win Jets. Nothing is "slam dunk" when it comes to the Steelers. Nothing.

If the Steelers could lose to a guy who couldn't throw a ball to save his life (Tebow), they could lose to a Mike Glennon, and they could lose tomorrow as well. It's just in this team's makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Yet another example as to why the Steelers held onto Dick Lebeau too long. I didn't want to believe it at the time, but the demise of the Lebeau D occurred in this game and season, or if you want to go further, the Tebow game was the end of the Dick Lebeau Defense. Any old schmuck quarterback could tear apart the Lebeau Zone. It wasn't just Glennon. Brian Hoyer and Joe Flacco tore it apart also.

This game didn't really bother me that much, because I was pretty much expecting a loss when Ben and the Offense failed to get a single first down, that, and I've already seen the Steelers lose to the Raiders in 2009, and Tebow in 2011, and to no ones surprise, the team shit the bed later that year to the 1-win Jets. Nothing is "slam dunk" when it comes to the Steelers. Nothing.

If the Steelers could lose to a guy who couldn't throw a ball to save his life (Tebow), they could lose to a Mike Glennon, and they could lose tomorrow as well. It's just in this team's makeup.

The 2014 defense is easily our worst defense since 1988.....they were very old with Polamalu and Ike Taylor in the secondary and it was their last year.

Only 3 starters of this defense are always with us.Cam Heyward and the other 2 were rookie in 2014 ... Shazier and Tuitt and they were not starting yet in 2014.

One thing I love since LeBeau left is that our rookies can play and contribute as with 3 players in 2016 and with Watt this year.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The 2014 defense is easily our worst defense since 1988.....they were very old with Polamalu and Ike Taylor in the secondary and it was their last year.

Only 3 starters of this defense are always with us.Cam Heyward and the other 2 were rookie in 2014 ... Shazier and Tuitt and they were not starting yet in 2014.

One thing I love since LeBeau left is that our rookies can play and contribute as with 3 players in 2016 and with Watt this year.

The incredibly difficult and complex LeBeau playbook is no longer something to overcome.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Lebeau = MC squared.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Wasn't this that game that a street free agent came in that Sunday for the buccaneers and tore up the defense?

Yes it was, Louis Murphy.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The incredibly difficult and complex LeBeau playbook is no longer something to overcome.

Which is ironic because at that point any guy could come off the street could figure out and beat the Lebeau Zone Blitz, more than our own players could. Ask the Packers how well holding on to Dom Capers was a long time has fared for them. The Packers can't stop anything, and has been consistently awful for years. If not for Aaron Rodgers' ridiculous heroics, the Pack would be nowhere near relevant.

Schemes come and go in the NFL, and the Zone Blitz is obsolete.

An interesting comment in the comments section in steelers depot

If Lebeau was still here, Shazier would just be just starting his first full season and Burns wouldn't even get some part time reps until next year, his 3rd year. Players like Sean Davis and Hargrave would easily be riding the pine still. Cameron Heyward did not actually start the full year until his 3rd season.

Just because you innovated a 3-4 defensive scheme does not mean you know everything; worst thing about him is fraternization with the veterans (giving them reps over younger players that are already ready to play). He was innovative but FAILED to evolve with opponents who have evolved to counter his scheme.

Thank God he's not the DC anymore. Good riddance especially the prevent defense which unfortunately Butler has somewhat inherited from him. It's mind numbing when someone does it over and over again when they keep failing at it over and over again.
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...second-season/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

What's the point in talking disparagingly about the man. He created some truly dominant defenses which helped win two Super Bowls. He is no longer with the team and hasn't been for three years. I loved the man while he was with us, and I'm glad he's moved on......now can we.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    What's the point in talking disparagingly about the man. He created some truly dominant defenses which helped win two Super Bowls. He is no longer with the team and hasn't been for three years. I loved the man while he was with us, and I'm glad he's moved on......now can we.
    This!