Thread: Mike Tomlin wants the Steelers to be more Ravens-like. Here's how.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin wants the Steelers to be more Ravens-like. Here's how.

Ben Roethlisberger did not throw many passes in spring practices and when he did, his own defense mocked him.

One interception, two interceptions, three interceptions, four. They kept a running total. Coaches got involved, too.

“I kept seeing coach [Carnell] Lake and Terry Cousin and some of the DBs putting these fingers up,” Roethlisberger said, “Like ‘We got our interceptions in OTAs and minicamps.’ ...

“It kind of upset me a little bit, so I wanted to prove to them I wouldn’t throw to them if I actually cared about practices, which I do in training camp and don’t in OTAs.”

Roethlisberger did not throw one interception in the entire training camp practices, the first time in his career. He’s been picked off just once since — Cleveland safety Derrick Kindred got him on an overthrow in the opener.

There is a renewed effort by the quarterback to cut down on his interceptions. He threw 29 over the past two seasons in 26 games. That’s his highest two-season total since 2006-2007 when he threw 34.

“Just really focusing on not turning the ball over,” Roethlisberger said. “I think that’s important. I mean that’s always one of our goals and my goal especially — not throwing interceptions and just really kind of taking the pride.”

Mike Tomlin emphasized as much this week, and while he noted that his offense has just that one turnover, his defense has managed just two — an interception by rookie linebacker T.J. Watt in the opener and Artie Burns’ recovery of William Gay’s forced fumble with less than a minute to go against Minnesota.

The Steelers’ defensive coaches haven’t had to count past one since the real season started.

“We are doing a lot of good things,’’ Tomlin said of his defense that ranks No. 3 in yards allowed in the NFL. “We’re running to the ball. We’re largely keeping it in front of us.”

But ...

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201709200195

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mike Tomlin wants the Steelers to be more Ravens-like. Here's how.

The Ravens D has 10 turnovers through two games. Quite insane.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    They'll have to keep it up if they want to continue winning.

Their injured o-line+Flacco's bad back could be a disaster waiting to happen.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

theyre coming. and theyre coming in droves. starting this sunday. its only a matter of time with the pressure were bringing
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    theyre coming. and theyre coming in droves. starting this sunday. its only a matter of time with the pressure were bringing
    Oh, the turnovers are coming alright...

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ray Lewis was on that Showtime program, fellating the Ravens defense and how they could win without any offense... until someone (Simms?) mentioned that if that were the case, the current Ravens defense must be as good as the 2000 Ravens defense.

Ray gave him him a death stare and averred: "They're not that good."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ray Lewis was on that Showtime program, fellating the Ravens defense and how they could win without any offense... until someone (Simms?) mentioned that if that were the case, the current Ravens defense must be as good as the 2000 Ravens defense.

Ray gave him him a death stare and averred: "They're not that good."
    In 2000, the ravens were 5 games in a row without TD and after Ray Lewis asked his offense to score just 1 TD and 1 FG and the defense would take care of the rest.

And the ravens have not lost another game after that!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    In 2000, the ravens were 5 games in a row without TD and after Ray Lewis asked his offense to score just 1 TD and 1 FG and the defense would take care of the rest.

Yeah, they're killin it.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Ravens are 2-0 with a +8 turnover ratio. That's great...for Week 2. With 14 games left, I'll withhold judgment.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Ravens are 2-0 with a +8 turnover ratio. That's great...for Week 2. With 14 games left, I'll withhold judgment.

You can't lose many games with a turnover differential like that!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Against Andy Dalton and DeShone Kizer...

Hey, I keep hearing that the Steelers' 2-0 record is essentially meaningless due to the (lack of) strength of QBs they've faced so far and the notion that a defense hasn't "arrived" until it's managed to beat Brady/Rodgers/Ryan. So, by that criteria, the Ravens' 2-0 record really doesn't mean anything either.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Yeah, they're killin it.
    Blast from the past...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Blast from the past...

Classic!
    I didn't see nuthin.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Yeah, they're killin it.
    #limorides

#whitesuits

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Against Andy Dalton and DeShone Kizer...

Hey, I keep hearing that the Steelers' 2-0 record is essentially meaningless due to the (lack of) strength of QBs they've faced so far and the notion that a defense hasn't "arrived" until it's managed to beat Brady/Rodgers/Ryan. So, by that criteria, the Ravens' 2-0 record really doesn't mean anything either.
    I will partially agree with ^. Up until two weeks ago, Dalton and Green made mincemeat of the Ravens secondary. I'd love to see who predicted Andy would get picked four times and fumble once against the Ravens in Week 1. If anything, they probably figured 2-3 TD passes and 100+ receiving yards for AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I will partially agree with ^. Up until two weeks ago, Dalton and Green made mincemeat of the Ravens secondary. I'd love to see who predicted Andy would get picked four times and fumble once against the Ravens in Week 1. If anything, they probably figured 2-3 TD passes and 100+ receiving yards for AJ.
    True.

For a few years there, the Bengals always seemed to beat the Ravens... who beat the Steelers... who beat the Bengals... who beat the Ravens...