Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I Think I Know After 2 Weeks

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What I Think I Know After 2 Weeks

The 2017 Steelers remain very much a work in progress, but even after two relatively uneven performances, I feel that I "know" some things about this team.

1. AB is not human. Xavier Rhodes is about as good as CB as you are gonna find, and AB still reeled in some ridiculous catches. Rhodes significantly slowed AB, but he simply can not be totally covered by any single player.

2. If Martavis Bryant gets even with the defender, it is either a PI call or a completion the overwhelming majority of the time. Despite the conventional wisdom that 2 of the 3 possible outcomes of a forward pass are bad - Bryant may make that only 1 bad outcome. Bonus sub thing I know about Bryant - NFL defenders need to redefine their angles and depths on him. At least twice this past Sunday, the safety had Bryant coming towards him at an angle and still wasn't able to give enough ground to make the play. Incredible.

3. I totally forgot that Cam Heyward can take over a game. Just plum forgot.

4. Father Time has not defeated James Harrison, but he might've out-schemed him. I think that Harrison simply can not, at 39, do what Butler has the young OLBers doing. The depth of coverage drops and the extent that Dupree, Watt, and Chickillo have all been following receivers laterally is unprecedented for recent Steelers OLB. Harrison and Moats are not who you want doing those things - so they aren't.

5. Oh, my - those OLB's. Dupree looks primed to take a step towards just terrorizing opposing tackles. Watt is better than advertised. Chickillo, well he is clearly more than "just a guy". Never so happy to be wrong.

6. Mike Hilton has taken Gay's job. Snap counts don't lie.

7. Secondary remains a work in progress. But the pass rush is going to help them out.

8. The depth of weapons on offense is simply staggering. Watson is the third best RB on the team. Think about that for a moment. Eli Rogers may be the 4th or 5th best WR on the team. A former 1st round pick at WR can't even get a helmet on game day.

9. Jesse James looks like he spent every waking moment of the off-season moving iron to build his new jacked arms. Doesn't seem to matter. He can't block. Run. Pass. Whatever. James is a very poor blocker. It hurts the scheme and I hope that McDonald can get up to speed.

10. The youth and speed up and down this roster is really impressive and comes through on game day.

11. Competent special teams? I'm not ready for that.

12. Mike Tomlin and his emotions make really odd game day decisions and this will never change. 47 yard field goal? Sure! Oops penalty - PUNT! Hey, another penalty and a 47 yard field goal? NOPE! PUNT! Take the points Mike, take the points.

BONUS NFL OBSERVATION:
    1. September football is bad football.
    2. Anyone still want to tell me that Kapernick isn't a better QB than Tolzien, Bortles, Hoyer, Savage, Kizer, Watson, and a few other scattered "quarterbacks" that we have been subjected to the first few games. There is some historically bad QB play out there!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: What I Think I Know After 2 Weeks

Great thread

For point 9,11 and 12 are too much under the radar

Jesse James is terrible, I hope that McDonald is going to be our number 1 TE soon.

Our special team has been incredible since the pre season and Danny Smith deserves credit.

And what a terrible decision to not take the FG at the beginning of the fourth quarter to take the lead by 2 TD.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Jesse James is far from terrible. By the end of the year he will be in consideration for the Pro Bowl. Not saying he'll make it, but his numbers will rival those who do.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Nice post.

As far as James, yes he is poor in the blocking department, but his hands may be the best of the TEs.
    Except for Rogers returning punts, I'm liking most of what I've seen of STs.
    As for punting instead of going for three, I was OK with that decision......especially after the results, (I may be the only one who thinks that).

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Jesse James is far from terrible. By the end of the year he will be in consideration for the Pro Bowl. Not saying he'll make it, but his numbers will rival those who do.
    OVERRATED!

It's ridiculous...Last year James had not 6 yards per target...It's still the same things for this year. (68 yards on 13 targets)

How many of his catches are for 10 yards or more?

Seriously, his stats will never be compared to Kelce or Gronk ...

Yeah, I don't think we will see a TE like Heath for a while. He could line up anywhere. For the longest time we used TEs mostly for blocking, but Heath was so versatile and sure handed, that Ds had to always account for him, or get burned. I know Ben must miss him a ton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    OVERRATED!

It's ridiculous...Last year James had not 6 yards per target...It's still the same things for this year. (68 yards on 13 targets)

We lose that first game without those two sure handed grabs in the end zone.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

OVERRATED!

So there's two great TEs. The other 30 suck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    EXACTLY!

If we can get 10+ Rezone TDs from James this season I don't care how many ten+ yard catches he has. I really would like to see his blocking improve......maybe he can sit in on some OL sessions and get some schooling from Munch.

The first TD, I give credit, but his 2nd TD, it was a great play call by Haley

So there's two great TEs. The other 30 suck?

You said you would not be surprised if James would be considered for the pro bowl, it's ridiculous since only 2 TE by conference are at the pro bowl and his stats will never be close to those of Kelce and Gronk.

Also, James is not a caliber starter TE in the NFL, I'm sorry if my standards are higher.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

You said you would not be surprised if James would be considered for the pro bowl, it's ridiculous since only 2 TE by conference are at the pro bowl and his stats will never be close to those of Kelce and Gronk.

Also, James is not a caliber starter TE in the NFL, I'm sorry if my standards are higher.
    Yes, higher than Colberts, Tomlin and Haley. I'd rather have Gronk or Kelce too. Can't have everything.

Yes, higher than Colberts, Tomlin and Haley. I'd rather have Gronk or Kelce too. Can't have everything.

I agree, the steelers just need a average TE.

I hope McDonald will be the answer.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'd settle for someone who can actually block. James is like a cross between a traffic cone and a marshmallow back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'd settle for someone who can actually block. James is like a cross between a traffic cone and a marshmallow back there.

I'd be happy with a $12M running back that averaged more than 3 YPC.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

2. If Martavis Bryant gets even with the defender, it is either a PI call or a completion the overwhelming majority of the time. Despite the conventional wisdom that 2 of the 3 possible outcomes of a forward pass are bad - Bryant may make that only 1 bad outcome. Bonus sub thing I know about Bryant - NFL defenders need to redefine their angles and depths on him. At least twice this past Sunday, the safety had Bryant coming towards him at an angle and still wasn't able to give enough ground to make the play. Incredible.

Spot on, Mojouw.

Get your shades and go fart on a hippo because Tomlin pretty much said the same thing shutting up the reporter in the press conference today.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Spot on, Mojouw.

Get your shades and go fart on a hippo because Tomlin pretty much said the same thing shutting up the reporter in the press conference today.
    Obviously, I am Mike Tomlin. Just Like Teegre is Ozzie Newsome.

BurghBoy412

I wonder if David Johnson is still available?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1. AB makes the impossible look easy.

2. Once he puts it all together...

3. Wait until Tuitt starts garnering more attention, and Heyward stops being double-teamed.

4. I'm not going to discuss this part... until I learn how to post memes.

5. The potential to be the best LB corps since 1994.

7. See #5 (change "LB" to "DB")

8. Tomlin is to offense as Billick was to defense. (Their schematic forté isn't actually their strength in the draft.)

9. I'll take 16 TDs... and 160 yards.

10. Plus, they are the tallest team in the NFL.

11. I can't comprehend these words.

12. At my house, the consensus was that since the punt was on the 1-yard-line AND since the defense was on fire, the odds of a safety outweighed the "gimme" FG.

BurghBoy412

The price goes up to $15 mil next season.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    1. AB makes the impossible look easy.

2. Once he puts it all together...

3. Wait until Tuitt starts garnering more attention, and Heyward stops being double-teamed.

4. I'm not going to discuss this part... until I learn how to post memes.

5. The potential to be the best LB corps since 1994.

7. See #5 (change "LB" to "DB")

8. Tomlin is to offense as Billick was to defense. (Their schematic forté isn't actually their strength in the draft.)

9. I'll take 16 TDs... and 160 yards.

10. Plus, they are the tallest team in the NFL.

11. I can't comprehend these words.

12. At my house, the consensus was that since the punt was on the 1-yard-line AND since the defense was on fire, the odds of a safety outweighed the "gimme" FG.
    It would be much easier (for some of us) if you would include the original post along with yours, so I don't have to keep scrolling up and down to see which one you're answering.

BurghBoy412

I'm sure glad you're able to say the secondary is a "work in progress." Because with Ross Cockrell the Secondary was a lost cause.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I responded in another thread but its still an interesting matter of discussion. I respectively disagree with #4. Harrison's still got it in all facets of his game: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...over-olb-2016/

Vance Mcdonald needs to become an X factor for us. It will change absolutely everything if he does. Ben has never had a move tight end that could stay healthy and Vance has shown a propensity for having all-purpose talent, and that was with a shitty team. He could not have fallen into the lap of a better environment to reach his potential. If healthy, I predict he tops the depth chart and becomes a major reason for winning games by Week 8
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Obviously, I am Mike Tomlin. Just Like Teegre is Ozzie Newsome.

Just like Kevin Durant is also @ILoveKD on twitter. #SameGuy

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

It would be much easier (for some of us) if you would include the original post along with yours, so I don't have to keep scrolling up and down to see which one you're answering.
    Haha ...I had to do the same thing

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Sorry, man.
    I figured it would have made for an uber-long post.

That's the line of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    The price goes up to $15 mil next season.
    I'll take a $700K Conners and a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

as for Jesse James ... let me say this

when you have AB and Bryant on the outside and Eli in the slot James will see a TON 1 on 1s vs Linebackers ..... advantage Outlaw

teams will now have to respect Bryant again and its going to show very soon in production via the TE ( whomever is in the game as long as they make the catch )

cant double everyone but your going to want to double AB and Bryant , leaving 1 on 1 coverage on Eli vs a nickle backer and a LB on the TE and RB .... smells like mismatches to me

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

On your point 9, I'd add that I know why James has a problem with YAC. I've noticed this before, many times after he catches the ball he stands in place and stomps his feet up & down like he's stomping grapes and doesn't move forward. Pretty strange, maybe he's a grape stomper in the off season. I'll have to see if I can get a gif or two of this.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    as for Jesse James ... let me say this

when you have AB and Bryant on the outside and Eli in the slot James will see a TON 1 on 1s vs Linebackers ..... advantage Outlaw

teams will now have to respect Bryant again and its going to show very soon in production via the TE ( whomever is in the game as long as they make the catch )

cant double everyone but your going to want to double AB and Bryant , leaving 1 on 1 coverage on Eli vs a nickle backer and a LB on the TE and RB .... smells like mismatches to me
    The answer to our TE conundrum is still in Wisconsin. I know it's early.