Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What I Think I Know After 2 Weeks

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: What I Think I Know After 2 Weeks

I love how folks are more bitter about the contract issue then Bell's missed games due to suspension. Last two seasons folks were counting down the weeks until Bell's return.

Now they are all salty because how dare he turn down the reasonable offer that the Steelers and those dear Rooneys made him.

Whether the contract is reasonable or not does not matter. Bell doesn't think it is and he made a decent bet on himself. No one on the planet is more motivated to have an incredible year than Bell. It is the only way he can move the Steelers off the franchise tag for next year. Have a massive year and hope they figure L Bell is worth it at any price.

The Vikings front line is one of the best in football. I mean I guess you can keep denying that, but I'm never going to agree with you. Against Cleveland, the Browns front 4 ate the Steelers o-line's lunch.

If Bell starts or keeps missing big holes, then I'm gonna worry. Until then, not a big deal for me.

No less an authority than Bettis always argued that it took 3-4 weeks to crank up the run game.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I am not happy with any player who isnt in camp or ready to play on game day if healthy suspended or any reason other than hurt is not acceptable ..it all pisses me off
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Bell did not "hold out". It wasn't a hold out. I still do not get why people are pissed about Bell not making TC. He was not going to practice, not in contact drills anyway. The contract issue is a completely different issue than why he didn't report to camp. No player likes camp. He didn't need to/have to be there, so he wasn't. He reported exactly when he said he would when he was asked.
    Obviously, he needed to be there and it's showing now. Other people are ready and he's not. Therefore, it's an issue.

Yeah, people don't like practice. But guess what, you need to practice with the offense to have your shit together. And lifting weights on your own is not going to bring your game sense up to full speed. If he would've signed the contract and skipped training camp, it would've been the same idiotic move and people would still be mad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I love how folks are more bitter about the contract issue then Bell's missed games due to suspension. Last two seasons folks were counting down the weeks until Bell's return.

Now they are all salty because how dare he turn down the reasonable offer that the Steelers and those dear Rooneys made him.

Whether the contract is reasonable or not does not matter. Bell doesn't think it is and he made a decent bet on himself. No one on the planet is more motivated to have an incredible year than Bell. It is the only way he can move the Steelers off the franchise tag for next year. Have a massive year and hope they figure L Bell is worth it at any price.
    It's not that he turned down the long-term contract. It's that once the deadline for that passed, there literally was nothing to gain from not signing the tag and showing up like everyone else. He was prohibited by league rule from signing a new contract. He gained no leverage, there was no more negotiating to take place, there was no bet on himself.

If he really wanted to bet on himself, you know what the smart thing would've been - show up to training camp, do everything he can to get in top gear, and then kick ass all season. Instead we got "I'm going to sit out of practice to be an asshole about it, just to show them I can."

Nothing but a desperate attempt to show that he still had some control over the situation, when it was obvious to everyone else that he didn't. Because guess what he ended up doing - signing the franchise tag just like we knew he was going to.

The only thing that changed by refusing to sign the tag was that instead of being on pace for a big season that would raise his value even more, he came out of the gate rusty and picked up the Bad Attitude tag. It's the kind of fit that a small child would throw, with the same results. Nice job "betting on yourself," congratulations - you hurt your own cause and were fortunate so far not to hurt the team's too badly.. And also, it's not some random dumb mistake or lapse in judgment this time, it was a conscious decision on his part, which is why it's as/more infuriating than the stupid weed shit. The whole things is stupid as fuck and it's only his doing. Selfish move and a shitty attitude.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Obviously, he needed to be there and it's showing now. Other people are ready and he's not. Therefore, it's an issue.

Yeah, people don't like practice. But guess what, you need to practice with the offense to have your shit together. And lifting weights on your own is not going to bring your game sense up to full speed. If he would've signed the contract and skipped training camp, it would've been the same idiotic move and people would still be mad about it.

It's not that he turned down the long-term contract. It's that once the deadline for that passed, there literally was nothing to gain from not signing the tag and showing up like everyone else. He was prohibited by league rule from signing a new contract. He gained no leverage, there was no more negotiating to take place, there was no bet on himself.

If he really wanted to bet on himself, you know what the smart thing would've been - show up to training camp, do everything he can to get in top gear, and then kick ass all season. Instead we got "I'm going to sit out of practice to be an asshole about it, just to show them I can."

Nothing but a desperate attempt to show that he still had some control over the situation, when it was obvious to everyone else that he didn't. Because guess what he ended up doing - signing the franchise tag just like we knew he was going to.

The only thing that changed by refusing to sign the tag was that instead of being on pace for a big season that would raise his value even more, he came out of the gate rusty and picked up the Bad Attitude tag. It's the kind of fit that a small child would throw, with the same results. Nice job "betting on yourself," congratulations - you hurt your own cause and were fortunate so far not to hurt the team's too badly.. And also, it's not some random dumb mistake or lapse in judgment this time, it was a conscious decision on his part, which is why it's as/more infuriating than the stupid weed shit. The whole things is stupid as fuck and it's only his doing. Selfish move and a shitty attitude.
    This seems to keep going around the same circle. The coaches said, before camp started, Bell would not be participating in any contact drills. They wanted to give him the best chance to be at 100% healthy for the start of the season. That would most likely include all preseason games as well. Nothing would be different if he had been there from day 1. How much better? None, none more better. But, he still goes to 11.

Haven't found the article about this yet. I found one about OTAs, which says pretty much the same thing. Will try later. Off to my son's game now.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Interesting to see the reaction on James. I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of his inability to produce yards after the catch. Personally, I just don't care about that. Simply secure the catch and fall down. That'll work in this offense.

But you must be able to block. I mean seriously. How is he that big and that bad at blocking?
    Too tall, so not the best leverage perhaps? Only tight end off the top of my head at that height thats a starter and a dominant blocker is Gronk. But that dude is once a generation
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Bell is going to be fine, I was pissed about the whole situation, but I'm over it now. It's not like I can really do anything. I won't root against him while he is on the Steelers, in fact I'll be pulling for him to have big games every week. His head is in the right spot at this moment and that's all that matters. This article and video, tells me all I need to see hear. If he can back up to his form the team will be better for it.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-cf1f4a873bef

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    missed a HUGE cutback late in 3rd last week , would have went 50+ for a TD instead he went to the right side of the line and gained 2

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    missed a HUGE cutback late in 3rd last week , would have went 50+ for a TD instead he went to the right side of the line and gained 2
    Martavis missed one just as big when he carried the ball on his reverse. Really puts into perspective the difference between 26 points and 40
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Doubt that very seriously. Bell's one weakness in the run game is the lack of the final gear to create separation downfield. He's been caught from behind several times in the open field.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Doubt that very seriously. Bell's one weakness in the run game is the lack of the final gear to create separation downfield. He's been caught from behind several times in the open field.

he has enough speed , nobody was to that side of the field that was not already over committed , could have never turned their momentum back and ran him down just wouldn't have happened

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Bell had been in TC, he would have ducked under that bar.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This seems to keep going around the same circle. The coaches said, before camp started, Bell would not be participating in any contact drills. They wanted to give him the best chance to be at 100% healthy for the start of the season. That would most likely include all preseason games as well. Nothing would be different if he had been there from day 1. How much better? None, none more better. But, he still goes to 11.

Haven't found the article about this yet. I found one about OTAs, which says pretty much the same thing. Will try later. Off to my son's game now.
    Colbert said during the training camp that Bell was going to be behind....Colbert was right.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Too all the responses about James' blocking - thanks! Those are some great thoughts about actual football things!

Totally forgot that at his height, he is going to have a decided disadvantage when it comes to leverage. I guess the good thing we can say about James and blocking is that it certainly isn't for lack of trying! He has plenty of "want to" and rarely, if ever, just "ole" blocks a guy.

As for the Bell situation, I will say this and try and let it go. Take it out of football and put yourself in this scenario:

Employee: My contract is up for renewal and I would like to be paid 100 dollars an hour.
    Employer: Nope. But we think 85 bucks an hour is fair.
    Employee: Nope. Just can't see my way clear to that.
    Employer: Okay. Sorry we can't get together, but I am going to invoke my right to force you to sign an exclusive contract for us. Says you have to start Sept. 1. But we would really like you to start working May 25th. There are some cool training videos we want you to work through, a couple of team building retreats, the Bob's want to have a meeting, you know all that good stuff.
    Employee: Yeah, that's cool but I don't want to work for the pay rate you are paying. I get that it is a high pay rate, but I think I could get better on the open market and you just prevented me from doing that. See you September 1.

I mean, honestly, if I faced a similar situation to Bell in my own workplace, no way I come in before I have to. I teach. I get paid Oct-June. Classes start in September. Every August I tell myself this is the year I work like 3 days a week on the semester activities and get a big head start. Every year I make the decision that I am not getting paid enough to work in the off-season. Then I spend the next 16 weeks working like a mad man to get everything done. So does essentially everyone else at my workplace. I realize the analogy is poor at best, but I feel like people are ripping Bell for the same decision that most folks would make. As a fan I get that - "hey! Do your job and make my team better!" but to start the moral and psychological judgements -- that's the line for me.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The bartender brings Bell a beer, and he says "What the fuck is this?", dumps it out and demands three pitchers instead, then storms out angrily. Kaepernick pulls down his pants and takes a shit right on the dance floor, and gets thrown out. They stand around in front of the bar for an hour bitching about how it was all the bartender's fault.

*BA-DUM-BUM-CHING*

Eventually, the bartender reluctantly agrees to let Bell back in and give him one pitcher, and he chugs it down angrily. His friends all need to be at work early and Bell says don't worry, I can still drive you home. He makes it two blocks and passes out with his face on the horn. Half his friends are pissed and half say "It's OK, he'll do better tomorrow!"

*BA-DUM-BUM-CHING*

Meanwhile, the bartender is still staring at the piece of shit and saying "I don't want to clean that up," so a third of his customers left and went to the bar next door.

*BA-DUM-BUM-CHING*
    See you Space Cowboy ...

While we're at it, my version of the Bell situation:

Employee: My contract is up for renewal and I would like to be paid 100 dollars an hour.
    Employer: That's crazy. You're a fucking teacher.
    Employee: Nope, I'm a teacher AND an electrician. I should be paid like both.
    Employer: *rolls eyes* You can be one or the other at a time. But, since we think you do good work, we'll pay you twice as much as the other teachers.
    Employee: Fuck you! Some other school will pay me more.
    Employer: Well, according to the deal that the teachers' union agreed to, we can keep you for a year if we make you the highest-paid teacher in the state. So we'll do that, and in the meantime maybe we can figure out a salary that everyone's happy about.
    Employee: Fuck you! I'm not showing up until the last possible minute and I'm not going to even know the material!
    Employer: *sigh* You know, other schools pay you based on your students' test scores, so if you show up prepared and have a good year, you'll probably have a better chance of getting what you want. Your goal is to be highly paid, right?
    Employee: Screw that! I'll just wing it. I don't need to be no fuckin prepared!
    Employer: Very good.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Too all the responses about James' blocking - thanks! Those are some great thoughts about actual football things!

Totally forgot that at his height, he is going to have a decided disadvantage when it comes to leverage. I guess the good thing we can say about James and blocking is that it certainly isn't for lack of trying! He has plenty of "want to" and rarely, if ever, just "ole" blocks a guy.

As for the Bell situation, I will say this and try and let it go. Take it out of football and put yourself in this scenario:

Employer: Nope. But we think 85 bucks an hour is fair.
    Employee: Nope. Just can't see my way clear to that.
    Employer: Okay. Sorry we can't get together, but I am going to invoke my right to force you to sign an exclusive contract for us. Says you have to start Sept. 1. But we would really like you to start working May 25th. There are some cool training videos we want you to work through, a couple of team building retreats, the Bob's want to have a meeting, you know all that good stuff.
    Employee: Yeah, that's cool but I don't want to work for the pay rate you are paying. I get that it is a high pay rate, but I think I could get better on the open market and you just prevented me from doing that. See you September 1.

I mean, honestly, if I faced a similar situation to Bell in my own workplace, no way I come in before I have to. I teach. I get paid Oct-June. Classes start in September. Every August I tell myself this is the year I work like 3 days a week on the semester activities and get a big head start. Every year I make the decision that I am not getting paid enough to work in the off-season. Then I spend the next 16 weeks working like a mad man to get everything done. So does essentially everyone else at my workplace. I realize the analogy is poor at best, but I feel like people are ripping Bell for the same decision that most folks would make. As a fan I get that - "hey! Do your job and make my team better!" but to start the moral and psychological judgements -- that's the line for me.
    Did they offer to make you the highest paid teacher in the history of education? If you also pass out advice between classes do they also add on the counselor's salary too?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Did they offer to make you the highest paid teacher in the history of education? If you also pass out advice between classes do they also add on the counselor's salary too?
    That's an interesting argument. At the institution I work for they cut IT, advising, academic tutoring, and a variety of other student support services. As a result I have picked up basic IT support for my students (everything we do involves internet, email, and other basic computer technologies THAT NEVER work right out of the box), I give them advice on classes to take in the future, and I help them understand how to navigate the bureaucracy of our institution. I choose to do that because I like my students and want to help them succeed. It pisses me off. every. damn. day. My work day is longer, more frustrating, and taxing for me because I have to do a bunch of crap that isn't my job. If I had better contract language that would allow me to either advocate for a raise or "hold-out" until the absolute last moment, I would do that in heartbeat.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's an interesting argument. At the institution I work for they cut IT, advising, academic tutoring, and a variety of other student support services. As a result I have picked up basic IT support for my students (everything we do involves internet, email, and other basic computer technologies THAT NEVER work right out of the box), I give them advice on classes to take in the future, and I help them understand how to navigate the bureaucracy of our institution. I choose to do that because I like my students and want to help them succeed. It pisses me off. every. damn. day. My work day is longer, more frustrating, and taxing for me because I have to do a bunch of crap that isn't my job. If I had better contract language that would allow me to either advocate for a raise or "hold-out" until the absolute last moment, I would do that in heartbeat.
    Well, you're a hero in my book

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Well, you're a hero in my book
    Thanks!

As a fan of the Steelers, Leveon Bell ticks me off every time I hear him open his mouth. Dude is out to lunch and is pushing Rashard Mendenhall hard for "goofiest crap I have ever heard a Steelers player say".

But as a strong believer in the negotiating position of "the employer is always wrong and trying to screw over employees" then bravo L. Bell. Bravo. Don't do a damn thing you don't have to!

This stance could totally be influenced by the sheer amount of crappy and illogical workplaces I have found myself employed in!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So much truth in this post.