Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger Claims Harrison Had No Clue Why He Didn’t Play Against Vikings

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Roethlisberger Claims Harrison Had No Clue Why He Didn’t Play Against Vikings

A lot has been made about Pittsburgh Steelers veteran outside linebacker James Harrison not playing a single snap in the team’s Sunday home win over the Minnesota Vikings. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin explained during his Tuesday press conference that Harrison not playing Sunday was more of a result of fellow outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo currently being an ascending player on defense right now and a “hot hand” and why the team handled the position group rotation on Sunday in the manner that they did.

“In the meantime, we’re going to continue to roll people and play and play guys that we see fit and not do a real good job of maybe describing our mindset, or outlining their intentions, because part of it is gamesmanship and part of it will define itself as we move forward,” Tomlin said.

To hear Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talk during his Tuesday interview on 93.7 The Fan, Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers coaching staff probably didn’t outline their intentions to Harrison ahead of Sunday’s game against the Vikings.

“Yeah, I talked to him yesterday and just kind of asked like, ‘What’s going on, what happened?’ And he just gave me this look like, I have no clue,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday when asked if he’s had a chance to talk to Harrison about him not playing Sunday against the Vikings. “So, we talked a little bit about it, but there’s no real answers. He didn’t have any answers for me, so I dont know if he has any answers. So, I was kind of confused by it, but I’m not really sure what the reasoning was on it.”

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...-play-vikings/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger Claims Harrison Had No Clue Why He Didn’t Play Against Vikings

Clearly Butler should be running his decisions through Big Ben.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger Claims Harrison Had No Clue Why He Didn’t Play Against Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Clearly Butler should be running his decisions through Big Ben.
    Ben using the Tuesday morning radio show appearance to stir the pot strikes yet again - Matt Ryan has a similar deal in Atlanta but somehow manages to never say anything noteworthy and still gets paid

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Why should JH play over Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo?

All three are playing well and they need to play so they can continue to develop. Those guys will be here next year, and for years to come, JH won't. (I'll see Harrison come December)

Ben needs to worry about not having another average road game with Chicago coming up.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Why should JH play over Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo?

All three are playing well and they need to play so they can continue to develop. Those guys will be here next year, and for years to come, JH won't. (I'll see Harrison come December)

Ben needs to worry about not having another average road game with Chicago coming up.
    Harrison would/should be spelling the starters. Moats played also.

As of now, until proven otherwise, Harrison is still the best OLB and pass rusher on the team. It makes no sense to have him as the 5th OLB on the roster.

Don't be surprised if you do not see Harrison play another snap for the Steelers.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

As of now, until proven otherwise, Harrison is still the best OLB and pass rusher on the team. It makes no sense to have him as the 5th OLB on the roster.

Don't be surprised if you do not see Harrison play another snap for the Steelers.
    Did you just copy and paste from another thread that it was posted in?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah you keep saying that...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The above is the portion of the field that Butler apparently now expects his OLB'ers to roam in coverage. Not Harrison's strong suit.&lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    Seriously, all kidding aside, Harrison will play again - but it will need to be in the right situation. Right now, Butler has the OLBers dropping 10-15 yards into coverage and also following guys across the field. &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    Moats and Harrison are not good at that. So right now, putting either of those guys on the field totally signals to the offense what you are doing or not doing.&lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    That being said, it is Week 2! Butler is going to do what all good DC;s do. Put some tendencies and player packages on tape and then show up on Sunday with something totally different!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Get off my lawn!!

Did you see the last game?

The pass rush was great, so our OLBs do a great job so far.

We are far from the Jarvis Jones!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The above is the portion of the field that Butler apparently now expects his OLB'ers to roam in coverage. Not Harrison's strong suit.<br><br>
    <br><br>
    Seriously, all kidding aside, Harrison will play again - but it will need to be in the right situation. Right now, Butler has the OLBers dropping 10-15 yards into coverage and also following guys across the field. <br><br>
    <br><br>
    Moats and Harrison are not good at that. So right now, putting either of those guys on the field totally signals to the offense what you are doing or not doing.<br><br>
    <br><br>
    That being said, it is Week 2! Butler is going to do what all good DC;s do. Put some tendencies and player packages on tape and then show up on Sunday with something totally different!
    I know PFF isnt necessarily the best reference but Harrison was ranked the #1 cover OLB in the entire league: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...over-olb-2016/

I thought he passed the eye test last season as well. Nonetheless im in favor of keeping Harrison fresh, unleashing him maybe towards the end of close games/working him in down the stretch. These are valuable snaps for Chickillo. Im not going to hold my breath on how legitimate his developments are yet after 2 games, but if he's for real, it's crazy how deep out OLB's got in just the span of a year
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Harrison should not be playing over the young guys that are playing very well. Moats played later in the game, no reason to put a 39 year old on the field at that time.

JH is not the best OLB. Last year he was, but Jarvis was a considered a starter and Dupree was hurt for most of the season.

He'll play again but right now he's sitting in the bullpen until needed.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

BurghBoy412

Why ask Why? The Defense is playing pretty darn good without him.

We might find him being used more against the more stout offenses.

Using Harrison right now is like using your closer in baseball when you have a 10 point lead in the 9 inning.

You only use Harrison when you need him because of his age ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

This isn't 2016.

The Steelers actually have a puss rush without being forced to rely on Harrison. Dupree, Watt and Chickillo are putting in the work and doing very well so far. They don't need Deebo right now.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    This isn't 2016.

The Steelers actually have a puss rush without being forced to rely on Harrison. Dupree, Watt and Chickillo are putting in the work and doing very well so far. They don't need Deebo right now.
    Hehe...he said puss rush

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Did you just copy and paste from another thread that it was posted in?
    Unlike you my opinions don't change from thread to thread.

I see people keep saying Harrison is a closer; to be used later etc..., but yet you haven't said a word to them. More double-standards.

- - - Updated - - -

JH is not the best OLB.
    So which OLB on the team has proven to be better than Harrison?
    Hater = Realist

Unlike you my opinions don't change from thread to thread.

I see people keep saying Harrison is a closer; to be used later etc..., but yet you haven't said a word to them. More double-standards.

- - - Updated - - -

A little sensitive there. I just asked a question and you throw an insult. At least I pay read and pay attention to what you say. Not sure where the double standard line came from.

Dupree is healthy and he played well against the Vikings, Watt is better than expected and if Chickillo is for real, it's a big bonus.Our OLBs are much better this year.

No reason to burn Harrison early in the season.

Dupree is the best OLB on this team.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Dupree is the best OLB on this team.

And he was the best OLB last year the second he stepped foot on the field after coming back from injury. He has the athleticism to do more things than Harrison is capable of at this stage of his career.

I still think JH should be used occasionally to keep him game fresh and ready to step in if needed, but I also understand using these early games to give the young OLB as much playing time as possible. I think Harrison is strong against the run and is still effective rushing the passer, but he is a liability in coverage and has lost enough athleticism that it limits the versatility they covet in this defensive scheme.

BurghBoy412

- - - Updated - - -

If you're talking about the 2017 Steelers. Then I would have to say Watt, Dupree, and Chickillo are all better so far.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Using Harrison right now is like using your closer in baseball when you have a 10 point lead in the 9 inning.

You only use Harrison when you need him because of his age ...
    /thread

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

The plan is to get Deebo pissed off like never before, question his ability, bury him on the depth chart, then unleash him against the Ravens in game 4.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ben using the Tuesday morning radio show appearance to stir the pot strikes yet again - Matt Ryan has a similar deal in Atlanta but somehow manages to never say anything noteworthy and still gets paid
    Sounds boring.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Harrison will get in the mix and I believe it will wreak havoc on opposing OT. Can you imagine trying to block a Harrison style, then a Watt, then a Dupree, and Chick. I'm delighted we have them all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I know PFF isnt necessarily the best reference but Harrison was ranked the #1 cover OLB in the entire league: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06...over-olb-2016/

I thought he passed the eye test last season as well. Nonetheless im in favor of keeping Harrison fresh, unleashing him maybe towards the end of close games/working him in down the stretch. These are valuable snaps for Chickillo. Im not going to hold my breath on how legitimate his developments are yet after 2 games, but if he's for real, it's crazy how deep out OLB's got in just the span of a year
    That is a super interesting stat. I wonder if the coverage responsibilities are the same as last year or have been re-imagined?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Sounds boring.
    It is - but that is how almost every other player handles these paid appearances rather than making rando observations about maybe I will retire, I sustained a traumatic ocular migraine, I do not know why that player did not get on the field, and the reason the team is having so many injuries may be because the head coach's practices are too physical