Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

The Steelers’ defense got a huge break when quarterback Sam Bradford was ruled out of Week 2 with an injury. But that didn’t stop them from doing exactly what they planned against backup Case Keenum—Dominate.

I had the good fortune to attend the Steelers Week 2 matchup against the Vikings at Heinz Field on Sunday.

On my way to the stadium, I learned that Sam Bradford would miss the game due to a knee injury. I must admit, I never thought I'd see so many people relieved that the 8-year quarterback, and former first-overall draft pick, would be out of action.

When I discovered Case Keenum would be stepping under center for Minnesota, my first reaction was to send a few "Hahaha!" texts to my friends and family, but then I thought back to December 2015, when the Ravens signed Ryan Mallett off of the street just days before Pittsburgh’s Week 16 matchup in Baltimore, and the Steelers’ defense subsequently made Mallett look like Johnny Unitas.

But as Sunday's game commenced, I was quickly reminded that this isn't your slightly-older-brother's defense any longer; this is a unit comprised of youth, athleticism and the ability to take advantage of a compromised offense.

It's not about the breaks you get in sports, it's what you do with them. After limiting Keenum to 167 yards passing, and the Vikings’ entire offense to 237 in a 26-9 victory on Sunday, one gets the sense that the Steelers’ defense won't be allowing many sub-par quarterbacks to perform like Hall of Fame legends in the foreseeable future.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...l-keith-butler

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

first 3 games.

Kizer
    Kenum
    Glennon/ trubinsky?

Right now its hard to tell... I feel like we should be tormenting these teams

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

The Steelers D had a hard time being even weak/rookie QB's over the few previous years, most infamously Mike Glennon and Ryan Mallet. They may not be the greatest opponents, but beating an inferior opponent should be done if you're so good. I'll never forget Ryan Tannehill tearing the D a new one last year either, as well as Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott. Granted they're not ordinary rookie QB's, but they looked like future Hall of Famers.

Moonball Joe has been having his way with the D for the past few years. Time to make him pay.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The defense is definitely improved, that's for sure. Most of the past few seasons, every trash-tier QB we faced suddenly had a career performance (and then went right back to sucking the next week). So it's a relief not to see that anymore.

I do have to say though, we might not have won either of these games if we were facing a competent QB on the opposing side. We've sucked on offense, and having those mistakes go unpunished has made up for a lot. If we had that many three-and-outs, or one-first-down-and-outs, against another team we lose the field position game instead of having a standoff; punts turn into field goals; field goals turn into touchdowns; defense gets worn out and it snowballs from there.

We've been better on D, but we've also been lucky in general.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The defense is definitely improved, that's for sure. Most of the past few seasons, every trash-tier QB we faced suddenly had a career performance (and then went right back to sucking the next week). So it's a relief not to see that anymore.

I do have to say though, we might not have won either of these games if we were facing a competent QB on the opposing side. We've sucked on offense, and having those mistakes go unpunished has made up for a lot. If we had that many three-and-outs, or one-first-down-and-outs, against another team we lose the field position game instead of having a standoff; punts turn into field goals; field goals turn into touchdowns; defense gets worn out and it snowballs from there.

We've been better on D, but we've also been lucky in general.

Against the browns, it was obvious that the steelers were rusty and that the timing was poor due to lack of action in the preseason.Yesterday they were much better and we have to give credit to the vikings defense, they had 5 players who were in the pro bowl last year and Mike Zimmer is really a great defensive coach.

The offense is going to be better, they need to be better in 3rd down and the penalty needs to go down.Also I do not think the run game is going to be the worst of the league as is the case right now(They are 29th for the rushing yards and last for the YPC with 2.8)

For the defense, of course they will not face a lot of competition for the first half of the season, maybe only the Chiefs and Lions will be our biggest competition before our bye.

But I am glad that this defense does what they are supposed to do and it started last year in the second half of the season.

Our next step is what this defense will do against the elites offense against the Packers and the Patriots but we will wait long before we know what the defense will do against elite offense since our first game against one of its two teams is in late November.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Still I'll take the Win!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Downplay? A win equals a win in my book. If Ben goes down do we get a pass on losing because of Jones? This is a team game. Our team was better than the Vikings team this week. That's all that matters. If you have to break it down to advantage, they started their backup QB, we used a backup OLB for most of the game. Even.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Against the browns, it was obvious that the steelers were rusty and that the timing was poor due to lack of action in the preseason.Yesterday they were much better and we have to give credit to the vikings defense, they had 5 players who were in the pro bowl last year and Mike Zimmer is really a great defensive coach.

The offense is going to be better, they need to be better in 3rd down and the penalty needs to go down.Also I do not think the run game is going to be the worst of the league as is the case right now(They are 29th for the rushing yards and last for the YPC with 2.8)

People keep saying that, but to be honest, I didn't see that making a huge impact yesterday. I mean, the Vikings' D wasn't incompetent, but they weren't great either.

I've seen plenty of teams playing lights-out defense - both us and our opponents - and that's not what it looks like. They weren't dictating the flow of the game or imposing their will on us; they were sitting there playing vanilla defense and leaving us plenty of opportunities, which we didn't take because we were sleepwalking through the game again.

Yes, our problems on offense do look like the kind of things that are due to rust and lack of practice and should improve over time. On the other hand, it's professional football and they've had months to practice, so there's NO EXCUSE for being unprepared. If someone is such a fuckin' idiot that they're not ready for the season, then someone else who is ready ought to be getting snaps until they are. If the entire offense is rusty and out of sync, then we messed up by giving them too few reps and it's a coaching mistake.

We're very lucky to be facing so many opponents with fatal flaws at the start the season. Otherwise, you're unprepared like this, that's 0-4. Suddenly you're wondering why your team looked so good on paper but is playing like crap, and why you're basically out of the playoff race before it even started.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This was kinda a one sided game. Our side was better in every phase. We won easily and handily. On to the Bears now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    People keep saying that, but to be honest, I didn't see that making a huge impact yesterday. I mean, the Vikings' D wasn't incompetent, but they weren't great either.

I've seen plenty of teams playing lights-out defense - both us and our opponents - and that's not what it looks like. They weren't dictating the flow of the game or imposing their will on us; they were sitting there playing vanilla defense and leaving us plenty of opportunities, which we didn't take because we were sleepwalking through the game again.

Yes, our problems on offense do look like the kind of things that are due to rust and lack of practice and should improve over time. On the other hand, it's professional football and they've had months to practice, so there's NO EXCUSE for being unprepared. If someone is such a fuckin' idiot that they're not ready for the season, then someone else who is ready ought to be getting snaps until they are. If the entire offense is rusty and out of sync, then we messed up by giving them too few reps and it's a coaching mistake.

We're very lucky to be facing so many opponents with fatal flaws at the start the season. Otherwise, you're unprepared like this, that's 0-4. Suddenly you're wondering why your team looked so good on paper but is playing like crap, and why you're basically out of the playoff race before it even started.
    The vikings defense have given Aaron Rodgers some problems since Zimmer is their HC, so the offense of the steelers were far from bad yesterday with the competition that the steelers had.

Almost every offense were bad in the NFL in the week 1 ... Only 3 teams scored 30 points or more in week 1 and 6 teams had not scored 10 pointsIt's not just the steelers, it's for the entire NFL, since the starters play less often in pre-season.

Also, the steelers had the situation of Bryant and Bell ....

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So if a competent QB like Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan....even Kirk Cousins was in there instead of Case Keenum, nobody thinks there would have been more completions and greater offensive output by the Vikings?

If that is what the author is trying to assert, then he is delusional. There were open receivers, windows and throws that needed to be made sooner, but its Case Keenum. Take the win, work on things and move on to Chicago.

- - - Updated - - -

So if a competent QB like Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan....even Kirk Cousins was in there instead of Case Keenum, nobody thinks there would have been more completions and greater offensive output by the Vikings?

If that is what the author is trying to assert, then he is delusional. There were open receivers, windows and throws that needed to be made sooner, but its Case Keenum. Take the win, work on things and move on to Chicago.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Downplay? A win equals a win in my book. If Ben goes down do we get a pass on losing because of Jones? This is a team game. Our team was better than the Vikings team this week. That's all that matters. If you have to break it down to advantage, they started their backup QB, we used a backup OLB for most of the game. Even.
    No, but would you rather have BR? Yes, a win is a win. How you win is just as important.

A starting QB and a starting LB are not the same. Especially when a better LB(Harrison) sits on the bench.

The Steelers haven't faced a good offense or good QB yet. The secondary is still missing assignments. There were glaring holes in the secondary. An average starting QB would make these throws.

The Steelers won't see the Vikings or the Browns in the playoffs.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

This is being way too overthought. We played a good defensive team and we dominated them in every aspect. I hate the negativity though. We have no control over who is playing QB for the opposing team each week. Stop with the what ifs. We played the Vikings and Case Keenum played QB and we kicked their ass up and down the field. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but like I've said before, it's never going to be perfect. We came out with the W and we played pretty damn good football and didn't get dinged up too bad. It's week 2, for f***s sakes, mistakes are going to be made, especially when the offense hasn't played together as a unit for a long time. I, for one, am a happy Steelers fan on this Monday.

The vikings defense have given Aaron Rodgers some problems since Zimmer is their HC, so the offense of the steelers were far from bad yesterday with the competition that the steelers had.
    The Vikings' defense might be good on paper or good historically, but we really were not facing anything special yesterday. They were OK on defense and we sucked on offense, that was about the state of things.

Almost every offense were bad in the NFL in the week 1 ... Only 3 teams scored 30 points or more in week 1 and 6 teams had not scored 10 pointsIt's not just the steelers, it's for the entire NFL, since the starters play less often in pre-season.

Seems to me then, that a team who was actually prepared would have a big advantage over everyone else, wouldn't it? If we're seriously in the mindset of trying to win a championship, that's what we ought to be doing. The hell with what everyone else is doing, they can fart around taking a month to get their act together if they want. But tell me, is that the effort that you can expect to win you the Super Bowl? If you're serious about it, you should be on point from Week 1.

Look at Brown. He's dead fucking serious, and he's 100% ready to go because he took it upon himself to do it. This is not some impossible task; it's just showing up and making an effort. But then when you've got Bell who apparently found it more important to throw a shitfit like a 2-year-old for a month and a half than to be ready for the season, and Bryant who had all offseason to get cleared to participate and didn't because he and all his people flaked out on it. That's a selfish, losing attitude.

The thing about Bryant and Bell is not that "the Steelers had the situation" as if Bell and Bryant are strangers who are doing something TO the team that we have no control over. They ARE the team. And as part of the team, your entire reason for existing professionally is to do whatever it takes to help the team win. So first of all, it's on them for not having the balls to just sack up and make that their first priority, realizing that NOTHING ELSE WOULD HAVE CHANGED NEGATIVELY with their external situations if they had just done that. And second, it's on the organization for allowing the kind of shit to go on that absolutely would not even fly on a halfway-disciplined high school team.

At some point, someone needed to have a frank discussion with those two dickheads that look, while this is a pro team and there's only so much we can do to force you, there's an expectation on any team that you actually care enough to have your shit together for the team's sake. In Bryant's case, how come we didn't have a guy on that situation like flies on shit, making sure he was fully cleared from the first minute. Things that you should do that we didn't. It's not just something that happened "to" us, and while it may work out OK in a few weeks because we dodged a bullet with the schedule, it's still very irritating.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Let it go man. We beat a good football team and improved from last week. That's all you can ask for at this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    No, but would you rather have BR? Yes, a win is a win. How you win is just as important.

A starting QB and a starting LB are not the same. Especially when a better LB(Harrison) sits on the bench.

The Steelers haven't faced a good offense or good QB yet. The secondary is still missing assignments. There were glaring holes in the secondary. An average starting QB would make these throws.

Philosophy difference. I think getting the win, itself, is vastly more important than how we got the win. I also disagree that the 'better' LB sits on the bench. If Harrison were the better LB, he would be in the game.
    Diggs, Thielen, Cooks, and Rudolph are pretty damn good weapons for any QB. Our defense held them to 9 points. You can say it's because Bradford was out if you want, but you really don't know. Bradford may have thrown 4 picks or fumbled on a strip sack. Our team dominated their team this week. That is the facts and all we need. Bears are up next.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Case Keenum has a 77.8 career QB rating. Landry Jones has a 82.8 career QB rating as per NFL.com.

Yesterdays game was like if Landry Jones was the Steelers QB and the Vikings defense somehow kept them to 9 points.

Philosophy difference. I think getting the win, itself, is vastly more important than how we got the win. I also disagree that the 'better' LB sits on the bench. If Harrison were the better LB, he would be in the game.
    Diggs, Thielen, Cooks, and Rudolph are pretty damn good weapons for any QB. Our defense held them to 9 points. You can say it's because Bradford was out if you want, but you really don't know. Bradford may have thrown 4 picks or fumbled on a strip sack. Our team dominated their team this week. That is the facts and all we need. Bears are up next.
    No, Harrison wouldn't be starting based on being the better LB. So Jones was better than Harrison? They are letting Watt get his feet wet. You are saying Watt, Chickillo, Dupree and Moats are better than Harrison? All but Harrison played on Sunday. Until proven otherwise Harrison is still the best OLB on the team.

Who would you rather go without in a SB; Bradshaw or Ham?

Yes, they held a Vikings team with a poor QB to 9 points. While it's great to do that, it doesn't mean the Steelers are solid on defense. Do you think Brady would miss these open WRs? The Steelers will most likely have to go through the Patriots to reach the SB.

It matters very much how you get a win. It is the same if you lose. How you lost is important also. This is how a team improves and stays competitive. Remember the Kordell era? So many fans kept saying, "A win is a win..." etc... How far did he Steelers go before getting rid of Kordell? The Steelers had a glaring weakness while winning. I forewarned fans that good teams will exploit that weakness.

Basically, what I am saying is the Steelers need to tighten the screws.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

At QB: Bradshaw

At OLB: Ham

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's a long season and we're fortunate to be 2-0. Now let's make it 3-0.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is the defense where it needs to be in order to win the SuperBowl?
    No

Is the defense improving week-by-week?
    Yes

Give me an example of the improvement?
    In the first half, the defense did not miss a single tackle.

SUMMATION:
    Sure, Case Keenum is Landry Jones with a better haircut, and Aaron Rodgers would have throw for 350 yards & 4 TDs. But, this defense is better than it was 365 days ago... and, by the time that they actually play Aaron Rodgers, I expect him to only throw for 275 yards and 3 TDs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Vikings defense is one of the better units in the league.

The Steelers scored on the majority of their drives.

The amount of hand wringing around here is hilarious.

I know what the response to this will be. Something about Case Keenum and something about how field goals won't cut it against the Pats.

That as assumes the Steelers don't progress over the season and stay static. Why would you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The goal is to improve every week...We can not win the super bowl in September, but we can miss the playoffs because of a bad September as in 2013.

But the steelers are 2-0, although it's not perfect

No one will think that the steelers will have the worst running game at the end of the year as the steelers are right now and the steelers are going to be better in offense on 3rd down soon.

No, Harrison wouldn't be starting based on being the better LB. So Jones was better than Harrison? They are letting Watt get his feet wet. You are saying Watt, Chickillo, Dupree and Moats are better than Harrison? All but Harrison played on Sunday. Until proven otherwise Harrison is still the best OLB on the team.

Yes, they held a Vikings team with a poor QB to 9 points. While it's great to do that, it doesn't mean the Steelers are solid on defense. Do you think Brady would miss these open WRs? The Steelers will most likely have to go through the Patriots to reach the SB.

It matters very much how you get a win. It is the same if you lose. How you lost is important also. This is how a team improves and stays competitive. Remember the Kordell era? So many fans kept saying, "A win is a win..." etc... How far did he Steelers go before getting rid of Kordell? The Steelers had a glaring weakness while winning. I forewarned fans that good teams will exploit that weakness.

Just one more thread we will have to disagree in. You don't save the BEST players for sometime down the road.
    Whoever the QB was, we beat him, week 2, 2017 season. Had this been the Patriots, we would have beaten them too. Our schedule said Vikings though. So we beat them instead.
    Screws being tightened as we speak.
    On to the next game.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I have to go to the SuperBowl without Bradshaw or Ham?

Just one more thread we will have to disagree in. You don't save the BEST players for sometime down the road.
    Whoever the QB was, we beat him, week 2, 2017 season. Had this been the Patriots, we would have beaten them too. Our schedule said Vikings though. So we beat them instead.
    Screws being tightened as we speak.
    On to the next game.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I have to go to the SuperBowl without Bradshaw or Ham?
    I am not saying they are saving Harrison for later. I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison doesn't see another snap for the Steelers for his entire career.

Beaten the Patriots? With that secondary at the moment? The Patriots own the Steelers.

Because you were talking about lacking a LB or QB being the same. Who would you rather go without in a SB; Bradshaw or Ham? Let me re-word it. Which player, Ham or Bradshaw, would be more important to the success of the team in the SB?

Yep, on to the next opponent. Hopefully Tuitt is nearly healed and Watt's groin is ready to go.
    Hater = Realist

I am not saying they are saving Harrison for later. I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison doesn't see another snap for the Steelers for his entire career.

Beaten the Patriots? With that secondary at the moment? The Patriots own the Steelers.

Because you were talking about lacking a LB or QB being the same. Who would you rather go without in a SB; Bradshaw or Ham? Let me re-word it. Which player, Ham or Bradshaw, would be more important to the success of the team in the SB?

Yep, on to the next opponent. Hopefully Tuitt is nearly healed and Watt's groin is ready to go.
    Actually, I never said QB or OLB was more important. That's just how you read it. I was referring to your point that Bradford didn't play. I merely countered with we had our backup OLB in. Backup QB(in this game) backup OLB(in this game). So, is the Vikes having to go with Keenum equal to us having to go with Moates? By that rationale, we can't get too happy about beating any team that has a worse QB than Ben since that would give us an advantage.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

If I hadn't heard the game or heard about the outcome and all I had to go on was this thread, I'd have thought we LOST by 17...

Really? Tom Brady wouldn't have made those throws in week 1. Ben R. would have made some of the throws, but not others in week 1. Carson Palmer is still an average QB, and he wouldn't have made those throws in week 1 or 2 for the most part. It takes time for teams to ramp up. I think you're assuming an "average starting QB" in week 2 is equal to an average QB in week 12. As anyone whose played competitive team sports knows, that just is not true. I don't care how hard you prepare in the preseason or in training camps or practices. Until you go out there as a team and play meaningful games, you simply are not going to be at the same competition level as you will three months later. It's why spring baseball is not pleasant to watch compared to August baseball, and October hockey looks like it's in slow motion compared to March hockey.

How does that apply to what you're discussing? You're expecting an early September defense to play at a level to beat a December QB and offense. It's an unfair expectation based on the reality of team sports.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This. Ben typically had some troubles with Zimmer's defense during his Bengals stint, he honestly had a good game. Even Aaron Rodgers, arguably the best in the league, has had an even 3 good games vs. 3 meh/bad games against Zimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.