Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    This. Ben typically had some troubles with Zimmer's defense during his Bengals stint, he honestly had a good game. Even Aaron Rodgers, arguably the best in the league, has had an even 3 good games vs. 3 meh/bad games against Zimmer.
    If you look at it historically, Ben is off to one of his best starts, statistically.

BurghBoy412

Re: Steelers dominant defensive performance shouldn’t be downplayed due to Case Keenum

Since when has Sam Bradford going down become a "BIG BREAK?" That's freaking hilarious. Are we really saying Sam Bradford is a huge upgrade from Case Keenum? Gimme a freaking break! Bradford has 1 good game against a piss poor N.O. Defense and all the sudden he's a World beater.? Hahaha insanity takes on many interesting forms.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That as assumes the Steelers don't progress over the season and stay static. Why would you do that?
    This.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The goal is to improve every week...We can not win the super bowl in September, but we can miss the playoffs because of a bad September as in 2013.

But the steelers are 2-0, although it's not perfect

No one will think that the steelers will have the worst running game at the end of the year as the steelers are right now and the steelers are going to be better in offense on 3rd down soon.
    And, this.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Since when has Sam Bradford going down become a "BIG BREAK?" That's freaking hilarious. Are we really saying Sam Bradford is a huge upgrade from Case Keenum? Gimme a freaking break! Bradford has 1 good game against a piss poor N.O. Defense and all the sudden he's a World beater.? Hahaha insanity takes on many interesting forms.
    Bradford is in the HOF. Didn't you know??

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Really? The coach isn't letting them think they're good enough now? He tells them they need to improve? Man! Is this guy EVER happy?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Really? The coach isn't letting them think they're good enough now? He tells them they need to improve? Man! Is this guy EVER happy?
    CooL Shades is never happy. Otherwise, why would he wear a whistle to his press conferences?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    CooL Shades is never happy. Otherwise, why would he wear a whistle to his press conferences?

Only overly emotional coaches wear whistles. Bad NBA like culture. Needs to be fired. #cowherd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Only overly emotional coaches wear whistles. Bad NBA like culture. Needs to be fired. #cowherd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomlin is also a master of the pan flute.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

not sure what games some people were watching.

we won both games rather easily with a decent D and a sleepwalking O.

both CLE and MIN were three big plays away from actually making me nervous. that's three big plays for them countered by none by us. bottom line is we controlled both games from start to finish without any handwringing.

and yes, there is much room for improvement.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Really? Tom Brady wouldn't have made those throws in week 1. Ben R. would have made some of the throws, but not others in week 1. Carson Palmer is still an average QB, and he wouldn't have made those throws in week 1 or 2 for the most part. It takes time for teams to ramp up. I think you're assuming an "average starting QB" in week 2 is equal to an average QB in week 12. As anyone whose played competitive team sports knows, that just is not true. I don't care how hard you prepare in the preseason or in training camps or practices. Until you go out there as a team and play meaningful games, you simply are not going to be at the same competition level as you will three months later. It's why spring baseball is not pleasant to watch compared to August baseball, and October hockey looks like it's in slow motion compared to March hockey.

How does that apply to what you're discussing? You're expecting an early September defense to play at a level to beat a December QB and offense. It's an unfair expectation based on the reality of team sports.
    I seriously doubt the Steelers would have beaten the Patriots in week one. Brady > Kizer

IMO, it's not unfair at all. If they were paid $8.00 an hour that would be fair. They hold out/ask for mega millions. Be prepared at all times. The defense(secondary) is showing the same defensive errors/weaknesses they showed in 2016. The defense scheme is the same. They all have the playbook. I don't remember struggling in the beginning of the season when I played football or basketball. But I get what you are saying, it was week one, but leaving receivers that wide open is something that should not be happening. A better test will be when the Steelers play a competent QB. Hopefully by that time the Steelers offense will work out the kinks in the offense.

As Al Bundy would say, baseball is not a sport.

You're expecting an early September defense to play at a level to beat a December QB and offense.
    I'm expecting them to be near open WRs in September through December. Getting beat or falling down is one thing, but gaffes in communication shouldn't be happening unless they are learning a new defense.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

It's funny how people are still talking about week 1. I'm sure glad the players and coaches are talking about week 3 and getting better. I agree with coach Tomlin. If this D wants to be elite they need to start taking the ball away. Sacks alone aren't enough.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Does Cool Shades wear that whistle when he's playing poker badly?

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Most important thing is they are building confidence every week. oh and look they are beating teams they are supposed too, so all in I am very happy the direction I see them going by dec, jan they should be a juggernaut. need to get get homefield, so no mile high or Foxboro BS

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    It's funny how people are still talking about week 1. I'm sure glad the players and coaches are talking about week 3 and getting better. I agree with coach Tomlin. If this D wants to be elite they need to start taking the ball away. Sacks alone aren't enough.
    The standard is the standard.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Andy Benoit from SI.com jumping on the bandwagon

The Pittsburgh Steelers Might Have The Best Defense In The AFC

It’s reasonable to talk about Pittsburgh becoming the best defense in the AFC. With such diverse talent, they’ve started showing the schematic expansion that Butler’s assistants desired....

The Steelers have been young and fast for a few years. But now they’re young, fast, versatile and complex. Improvement is inevitable, and there's no ceiling in sight.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/20/pi...st-defense-afc

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Andy Benoit from SI.com jumping on the bandwagon

The Pittsburgh Steelers Might Have The Best Defense In The AFC

It’s reasonable to talk about Pittsburgh becoming the best defense in the AFC. With such diverse talent, they’ve started showing the schematic expansion that Butler’s assistants desired....

The Steelers have been young and fast for a few years. But now they’re young, fast, versatile and complex. Improvement is inevitable, and there's no ceiling in sight.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/20/pi...st-defense-afc

I like the steelers defense but the Ravens and the Broncos are better right now.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like the steelers defense but the Ravens and the Broncos are better right now.
    Broncos yes. Ravens have played no one. We'll see who's better soon enough head to head.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Despite the headline the article focuses more on potential than today - but I agree the Steelers are not there yet - of course their defense is more likely to become top tier than the offenses in Baltimore and Denver are