Thread: Bell still has work to do , lots of work to do

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Bell still has work to do , lots of work to do

Bell today by the numbers 31 touches .... 91 yards ..... 2.93 yards per touch .... still a lot of work to be done ...2016 5.6 yds per touch

Re: Bell still has work to do , lots of work to do

Those numbers are meaningless today.

He played against a very good defense and earned every yard he got. Moreover, he made holes that didn't exist and created yards that wasn't there. Is he at his best? No, but I'd say today's effort was a 50 to 75 percent improvement over last week, and that he played at about 75-80 percent of his norm today. Last week, I'd put it at 50 percent. So, I'm not worried right now. Concerned? Sure, especially if I don't see another jump in improvement next week, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he has "lots of work to do."

He simply needs to go about his week like a normal football week with a little bit of extra effort put into the mental part—visualizing runs and blocking schemes, etc.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

He also missed a HUGE gainer by failing to see the cutback late in the 3rd quarter that may have went to the house 50+ yards .... normally he doesn't miss those opportunities

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Put in the work, reap the rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    He also missed a HUGE gainer by failing to see the cutback late in the 3rd quarter that may have went to the house 50+ yards .... normally he doesn't miss those opportunities
    Sure, but it's the second game of the season and we have a much better vantage point than he does. I'm not going to dock him for missing a single cut today. Not when he played his heart out against a very good defense and played well.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He was average today against a good defense. Most NFL RBs work hard. His running style is so unique that I've always wondered if defenses would catch up at some point. By the fourth game the grace period is up. I'd like to see more of Conner regardless.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He will continue to work into football shape and improve. Thankfully we have another JV squad in the Bears next week without a real QB playing.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He was average today against a good defense. Most NFL RBs work hard. His running style is so unique that I've always wondered if defenses would catch up at some point. By the fourth game the grace period is up. I'd like to see more of Conner regardless.
    They might, but I think what will kill his running style more than a defense is if our offensive line regresses to a few years ago. I agree with you on Conner, however. And Watson or whatever his name is.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I think the offense in general is still getting in sync. It is like the preseason for them still. Communication is looking to be an issue on both sides of the ball. Hopefully the O and the D get into sync sooner rather than later.

I think Bell played up to the level he should for the time he has put in. This is really his third week of training camp. By game 4 he should be in normal football shape, with all the rust knocked off.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post

He was definitely better today. He fell forward on nearly all his runs, and made more decisive cuts while finishing runs.

You are correct about him missing openings. He has even been missing the hole that is designed and blocked for the play when there is a big opening there. Normally, Bell misses nothing on the field.

I'm sure he'll be fine in a few weeks, but he's just not all the way there yet.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Gee, maybe they should invent a 'training camp' and practice for player's to get in shape with and tune the timing. Duh !

BurghBoy412

It's gonna cost $17mil to keep that HOF production in Pittsburgh.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

You can find a younger RB in the 3rd round these days.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    It's gonna cost $17mil to keep that HOF production in Pittsburgh.
    I don't know. If his production goes down because it takes him a few weeks to get going, or if he gets injured, he might be shocked at how little teams are willing to spend on him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    You can find a younger RB in the 3rd round these days.
    Yeah, but what's the chances he'll be as good as Bell was last year, or the year before?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Sooner or later Bell will be down for a game or two and we'll get to see what Conner brings. I like his upside.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Gee, maybe they should invent a 'training camp' and practice for player's to get in shape with and tune the timing. Duh !
    It's probably best to let the first 3-4 games be the preseason. Early season games don't mean much anyway.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Devonte Freeman has adopted a little of leveons patience.

I love his patience shtick. although teams are now preparing for it. I would like it if Haley would put a speed off tackle or stretch play every now and then . His style forces oppising LBs to be patient too. I think he could sneak out the side door ever now and then.