Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game ball and Goats

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Game ball and Goats

Good win today. A complete team effort. Offense was still a little sloppy, but improved from last week. Bell looked a little better, but still needs some more work. Defense was lights out.

Game balls to the whole team. No one really stood out. Just a really solid team effort.

For the first time in as many games as I can remember, there were no goats. I can't even say someone in the secondary was bad. Burns and Haden were lights out. Hilton played really well. Mitchell and Davis were solid and our front 7 was wreaking havoc.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Game ball and Goats

Game ball to the D. They won the game. AB and JuJu showed up on O. If Bell doesn't get rolling by the end of the first quarter next week they need to give Connor more reps.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The front seven was great today.

Also, the vikings defense is really a tough defense to play against, a lot of talent and great coaching.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Let's not forget about Martavis Bryant and Eli Rogers. The Outlaw had a few nice catches, too.

Honorable Mention to TJ Watt before his groin injury. He's a beast.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Offense: Ben. Didn't look flashy, kind of like last week. Still wishing that our offense looked like the 30+ PPG capable unit it is, but the reality is that we just played one of the finest defenses from last season with one of the best defensive minds in football. Ben finished with a 104.8 QB Rating against that unit, despite Xavier Rhodes largely shutting down AB, Bryant being kept mostly at bay in the 2nd half, and having very little run game. He did a good job again of being unafraid to distribute the ball. Rogers was an integral part of that. Satisfied with the offensive performance today, even if i was underwhelmed.

Defense: Shazier destroyed so many plays, even on some snaps where he didnt record a pressure or a tackle. Its only a matter of time before the turnovers start coming in droves
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I believe the Vikes had a top 5 defense last year. It may have even been #1, so no one should have expected us to light up the scoreboard, but the O played pretty well against a very good defensive team.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I believe the Vikes had a top 5 defense last year. It may have even been #1, so no one should have expected us to light up the scoreboard, but the O played pretty well against a very good defensive team.
    Last year,the Vikings had 5 pro bowl on defense!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I was concerned about this game, given the performances of both teams last week.

Game ball to the coaching staff, who delivered a complete team.

Game goat (fairly small) to Ben Roethlisberger for not performing better.

- - - Updated - - -

I was concerned about this game, given the performances of both teams last week.

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls go to Bryant, Rogers, and the Defense. They were stout today.

Somebody really needs to give the Vikings Defense a lot of credit. They are top 5 unit. The Steelers O, not even close to being their best, still managed to put 26 on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Offense: Ben. Didn't look flashy, kind of like last week. Still wishing that our offense looked like the 30+ PPG capable unit it is, but the reality is that we just played one of the finest defenses from last season with one of the best defensive minds in football. Ben finished with a 104.8 QB Rating against that unit, despite Xavier Rhodes largely shutting down AB, Bryant being kept mostly at bay in the 2nd half, and having very little run game. He did a good job again of being unafraid to distribute the ball. Rogers was an integral part of that. Satisfied with the offensive performance today, even if i was underwhelmed.

Defense: Shazier destroyed so many plays, even on some snaps where he didnt record a pressure or a tackle. Its only a matter of time before the turnovers start coming in droves
    Agreed. Just a matter of time before the interceptions start coming. Olines can't handle this front 7 right now. Shazier is a freak out there. All over the field today. It was nice to see Bud get a sack and some pressure.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Game ball to Sam Bradford for being inactive. He may not be an S-Rank quarterback, but playing against an F-Rank one helped a lot.

Game ball for the entire D and special teams; no one in particular stood out, but a solid game-winning effort in general.

No praise for the offense, that was a pretty dogshit performance.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Game Ball to the defense for playing with intensity. Also game ball to JuJu, rogers,bryant and brown. But goat goes to the offense as a whole...need to be in sync sooner in the game.

I love JuJu's willingness to block. That hit he laid on Harrison Smith looked like a FB blocking. Impressive.

Many need to see against which defense the steelers played.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers Defense is starting to round out to form. They were fast and intense and put pressure on all day.

That's what has been missing from the D for past several years. The pressure they put on teams.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Many need to see against which defense the steelers played.
    Yes I know its good, what im talking about is being in sync...still seems there are communication issues, etc

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

GB to the Def, played well without Watt and Tuitt

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers Defense is starting to round out to form. They were fast and intense and put pressure on all day.

That's what has been missing from the D for past several years. The pressure they put on teams.
    When TJ and Tuitt are back out there, watch out!

Even the subs can get pressure and hold down the line. (Alualu and Chick-fil-A). Solid depth. Deebo didn't even have to play. You can save him for later.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Game Balls:
    • Offense - Bryant. He was just solid and looked like he's getting his game legs back.

• Defense - Watt, Shazier and most of all Heyward. Heyward was unstoppable early on. He just blew up that O-Line time after time.

Goats:
    • Offense - Ben. The frivolous long balls need to stop. A whole drive (plus) was wasted because they were trying to force their will on the Vikings D when it wasn't really there.

• Defense - can't really think of anything that was "glaringly" bad on the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Game Ball: Steelers. It was nice to see them play as a team today. Last week, they played as individuals. This week, they played as a team. Sure, it wasn't pretty, but it was a step forward.

Honorable Mention: Le'Veon Bell. Still doesn't have the spring in his step that we're used to seeing, but he made definite strides forward today as well. Many will look at his average and shrug, but the difference today was that every yard was hard earned, and he made some holes where there weren't any. Last week, he was taking what was given to him and nothing more.

Burns. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a shut-down corner yet, but he's getting there.

Brown. Proof of the saying that you can't keep a good man down. Overall numbers weren't impressive, but when it was needed, he had his hands on the ball.

Bryant. Drew a massive PI call and then caught another long ball and also had a TD.

Rogers. The kid just will not let anyone push him out of that slot position. Had several nice catches today.

Porter and Olsavsky. They've really got the LBs rolling this year and playing well.

Goats: no one.

Dishonorable Mention: A-Villa. He got beat a few times like a rented mule. Stuck in there, however, but it wasn't one of his better games.

Bell. Yep, he gets a mention in both spots. He's definitely lost that spring in his step as mentioned above. Seems to be running flat-footed right now. My guess is that he's still getting used to game speed again. I wonder how long it'll take for him to realize that his staying out of training camp will probably cost him a few million off his next contract because his overall numbers will be down this year compared to what they should have been.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

JuJu had a good day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ben had a 104.8 QB Rating against one of the best defenses in the NFL from a season ago (and a unit where there is no reason to believe is going to be much weaker if at all this season). Half of that unit is pro bowlers. Thats extremely nitpicky, and im usually pretty hard on the team's offensive performance
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    Yes I know its good, what im talking about is being in sync...still seems there are communication issues, etc
    Yes, but look around the league, and the back in history. That's pretty much on par for game 2 of an NFL season. It takes 3-4 games for the NFL to hit their stride usually, which is why the separation usually happens between good and bad teams starting around week 5-7.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Good win today. A complete team effort. Offense was still a little sloppy, but improved from last week. Bell looked a little better, but still needs some more work. Defense was lights out.

Game balls to the whole team. No one really stood out. Just a really solid team effort.

For the first time in as many games as I can remember, there were no goats. I can't even say someone in the secondary was bad. Burns and Haden were lights out. Hilton played really well. Mitchell and Davis were solid and our front 7 was wreaking havoc.
    Pretty much gotta agree with ya on this reply RunNGun. JuJu made key play's when needed. J.James played good for the time in. Brown kept their coverage busy and helped get other's open. Ben's throws were high/low, but it may have been do to the rushing. It actually looked like the coaches had the game plan figured and working for 60 minutes and everyone on the same page. To me it looks like the discipline.....penalties were the only bitch I had.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bell has an opportunity to make a 180* next week against the hapless Bears. If he doesn't get it going early I would stick Connor in for a quarter.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Ben had a 104.8 QB Rating against one of the best defenses in the NFL from a season ago (and a unit where there is no reason to believe is going to be much weaker if at all this season). Half of that unit is pro bowlers. Thats extremely nitpicky, and im usually pretty hard on the team's offensive performance
    Ben's Ben. He had his ups and downs and a few times I wondered why he through the ball where he did. That QB rating seems a tad high. It is padded by a few decent runs after the catch and Bryant's nice TD run after the catch. Nonetheless, the eye test tells me he had at least an average game. Again one of the top defenses in the NFL, I'll take an average game because Ben's average is better than most.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Game Balls: The entire defense was great, pass rush was constantly harassing Keenum all day. Cam Heyward was hardly blocked, Bud Dupree had a great return, Hargrave drove a guy back. Watt was dominant before his injury (damnit!). Also special again made a big play

Goats: Red zone offense, they have a lack of killer instinct, and most of their points were set up on short fields. No TDs after early 2nd quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yes, but look around the league, and the back in history. That's pretty much on par for game 2 of an NFL season. It takes 3-4 games for the NFL to hit their stride usually, which is why the separation usually happens between good and bad teams starting around week 5-7.
    Yes, I know all this...you ask the guys on Offense they will tell you this. A lot of stuff to clean up...guess it goes without me saying

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Bell has an opportunity to make a 180* next week against the hapless Bears. If he doesn't get it going early I would stick Connor in for a quarter.
    I'd love to see Conner have some play time too....he could be awesome .

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Another game ball I forgot earlier, the Bo$. That guy continues to be money