Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game ball and Goats

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Game ball and Goats

For me, the problem with the Vikings deep throws were for almost two series in a row, they just threw/chucked it deep every time and it wasn't there and it wasn't even close. Wasn't like Coates was out there and dropped it...they just wasted two drives trying to get huge chunks of yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

In Week 1, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw deep a total of five times, including penalty plays, and that resulted in several fans of the team wondering why more shots weren’t taken. On Sunday against the Vikings, Roethlisberger threw deep a total of 10 times and that resulted in some fans wondering if that was too much. On Tuesday, Tomlin was asked if those double-digit deep pass attempts against the Vikings were part of the game plan, or just a result of what the defense was inviting due to some alignments they showed.

“It’s always both,” Tomlin said. “We’re not going to allow you to play on the line of scrimmage and not stretch you. We’re not going to allow you to play man-to-man and not stretch you. We want you to defend the entire field, both vertically and horizontally, and that’s our mentality. But it was also coupled with the techniques that they employed. They’ve [the Vikings] got top-flight, first-round corners, high pedigree guys, guys that have big contracts, so, the game unfolded in the ways that it unfolded.”

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...-pi-penalties/

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

BB should throw deep less, to be more like Aaron Rodgers.
    Wait... he should throw deep more, to be more like Tom Brady.
    Wait... he should throw deep less, to be more like Derek Carr.
    Wait... he should throw deep more, to be more like Drew Brees.
    Wait...

Ugh!!!

BB IS TOO FAT!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I watched that play multiple times on my DVR and then on this GIF.

He doesn't "let up". He is always running to that spot. He simply gears up and down and makes Trae Waynes shift his feet enough that Waynes then has ZERO chance of recovering. Particular because on a full clip of that whole play, you can see Bryant look at Ben as the ball is snapped. He knew what was up.

I hate this new NFL coverage item. Anytime a player doesn't flat out sprint, they are dogging it. Bryant sees, Waynes not fully opening his hips to turn and run. He sells him that he is slowing down to make a turn/cut. Waynes closes. Bryant then revs it back up and Waynes is too out of position to do a blessed thing.

I'm gonna go with route running 101. But maybe he was dogging it. What do I know?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

He doesn't "let up". He is always running to that spot. He simply gears up and down and makes Trae Waynes shift his feet enough that Waynes then has ZERO chance of recovering. Particular because on a full clip of that whole play, you can see Bryant look at Ben as the ball is snapped. He knew what was up.

I hate this new NFL coverage item. Anytime a player doesn't flat out sprint, they are dogging it. Bryant sees, Waynes not fully opening his hips to turn and run. He sells him that he is slowing down to make a turn/cut. Waynes closes. Bryant then revs it back up and Waynes is too out of position to do a blessed thing.

I'm gonna go with route running 101. But maybe he was dogging it. What do I know?
    Yes! This.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

The problem with a lot of these evaluations is that they mean nothing without context. I really don't know what the route calls for. Maybe it calls for Bryant to not run full out and then to explode based on the look of the defense. I don't know. You would have to know the offense to know for sure.

Most good wide receivers will tell you that you never run full speed all the time. You always set up the defender and then explode at the right moment to accelerate by them or away from them. At least that is the case when running more precise routes, and then setting the CB up for the deep ball.

When running a fly pattern or any deep pattern, the WR can adjust the way the route is run based on the way the defender plays it on that particular play. If a CB is up close the LOS or playing press coverage on the WR, defeating the tight coverage and quickly using your hands to beat the CB and accelerate at full speed to create separation is the way it is played. If a CB is playing off coverage, there could be a designed adjustment to the route based on coverage where the WR sets up the CB by slowing down to get him to commit, and then accelerate as fast as he could to fly past the CB.

I don't know if this is what we are seeing in this play. Only the team knows if that is something in the offense and practiced with Ben and Bryant. I have no way of knowing definitively with limited knowledge.