Thread: T.J. Watt Not Forgetting The Sacks That Got Away

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

T.J. Watt Not Forgetting The Sacks That Got Away

We are only one week into his NFL career, but it already seems as though Pittsburgh Steelers rookie outside linebacker T.J. Watt has a bit of Captain Ahab in him. Rather than taking pride in the fact that he recorded a pair of sacks in his debut performance, he is more interested in fixating on one that he feels he missed earlier in the game.
    When he asked reporters what he would remember most from his historic debut, he said, “I’ll probably remember missing that first sack that I should have had over any of those plays

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...acks-got-away/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: T.J. Watt Not Forgetting The Sacks That Got Away

Almost all great competitors think about the failures more than the successes. It's part of what drives them.

They are always thinking about how they can do it better the next time so they can take advantage of every opportunity.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Sounds like a guy who was a disciple of Chuck Noll.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Almost all great competitors think about the failures more than the successes. It's part of what drives them.

They are always thinking about how they can do it better the next time so they can take advantage of every opportunity.
    So, by that rationale, all CB's think of the plays they got burnt on and QB's dwell on the INT's they throw?? I thought those guys talk about having a short memory.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I guess Watt hates himself. I thought the theme here was only to drool over plays created rather than thinking of anything negative or something to improve on.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I guess Watt hates himself. I thought the theme here was only to drool over plays created rather than thinking of anything negative or something to improve on.
    Technically the sport psychology theory is to recognize the mistake that was made, then determine what the correct action should have been for success and then use mental imagery to envision the positive action and positive outcome for the next time that play happens. They are not to dwell on the incorrect action and the negative outcome....as the mind does not understand "don't".

I hear what you are saying (might have a lemming reference somewhere). IMO, its OK to recognize the negative outcome, but don't dwell on it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So, by that rationale, all CB's think of the plays they got burnt on and QB's dwell on the INT's they throw?? I thought those guys talk about having a short memory.
    Two sides to every coin... grasshopper

- - - Updated - - -

If the negative experience gives someone the proverbial chip on the shoulder then it can be a positive.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

There are a lot of ways to look at things, and confidence is important, but at it's core, sports is about overcoming failure and using it as motivation to improve.

Here are some great quotes from professional athletes. https://www.fearlessmotivation.com/2...s-by-athletes/

There are some interesting quotes from many great athletes. I guess I have always been more of a guy that was motivated by failure.

#5 - "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think that in most things (sports, art, careers) it is essential to notice what you "could improve on/could have done better".

Obsessing on it: bad
    Improving on it: good