Thread: Steelers think Antonio Brown might be better than ever

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers think Antonio Brown might be better than ever

Is it possible Antonio Brown might be better than ever?

Secondary coach Carnell Lake suggested that in training camp when he said the Steelers All-Pro receiver improved his quickness coming out of breaks.

And he showed that in the season opener in Cleveland, catching all 11 targeted passes for 182 yards and also drawing a pass-interference penalty that netted 41 yards.

“That’s unheard of,” cornerback Artie Burns said.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201709140179

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers think Antonio Brown might be better than ever

He's on his own level.

He is on pace to be one of the best WR of all-time if he stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    He is on pace to be one of the best WR of all-time if he stay healthy.
    There have been a few receivers who were great for 5-6 seasons, and garnered comparisons to Jerry Rice. But, what makes Jerry the greatest is his longevity. He did it at an All Pro level for over a decade.

AB might be the first guy that I've ever (EVER) said has a shot at coming close to Jerry's records (close... but, not even AB will pass Jerry).

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Should have been cut or traded after FB Live-gate

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

He made a couple of absolutely insane grabs against the Browns.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He made a couple of absolutely insane grabs against the Browns.
    11 targets//11 catches. I had to backtrack and think, Yeah, he didn't drop any catches.

That's what AB does and we've come to expect that from him

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Accounted for over half of the team's offensive yardage in week 1.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

And the topper..... he was a 6th round pick.

BurghBoy412

AB cares about his legacy. I think that's part of what makes him so great.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He was the team's entire offense last week. The entire game, it looked like we was playing at one speed and everyone else (offense and defense) was playing at beginner level. He is almost playing a different game from everyone else.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's hard to imagine that a lot of us thought AB was the consolation prize when Wallace didn't sign.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's hard to imagine that a lot of us thought AB was the consolation prize when Wallace didn't sign.
    Truth

I posted that last year (on here, not on Twitter).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Only statement there that is remotely debatable is Julio. I would put AB at 1 and Julio at 1A. Not far behind but behind. Then there is everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Business is...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Antonio Brown: The NFL’s best receiver and a truly great Pittsburgh Steeler

Not only is Antonio Brown the best receiver in the NFL, he's a clutch player who continues to provide many great moments for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Far be it from me to pick the low-hanging fruit from the Steelers 21-18 Week 1 victory over the Browns on Sunday, but how about that Antonio Brown, huh?

After catching 11 passes (on 11 targets, mind you) for 182 yards, how do you think Brown is feeling today?

If I know Brown, and if he's like every other receiver who ever lived, he's probably thinking he didn't get nearly enough targets against Cleveland.

He had to be open on every play, right?

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...browns-vikings

Brown’s speed is certainly one thing he’s noticeably improved throughout his career. He ran a 4.57 at the NFL Combine in 2010 but last May, posted clips of him running 4.35, which would make him one of the fastest receivers in the league. He probably isn’t at quite that speed but either way, he’s still plenty fast. Brown has also spent his career gaining weight. Entering the league at 186 pounds, he’s now in the 195 range, making him an even harder target to take down in the open field.

Haley stopped short of saying he’s the best receiver he’s ever coached, probably to avoid slighting anyone in his past.

“I have been around some great ones. A couple that will probably end up in the Hall of Fame. AB, I know, is trying to be the best there is. I’m happy to be apart of it.”

As Steelers’ PR assistant Dom Rinelli tweeted earlier today, Brown will become the fastest player to 650 catches come Sunday.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...n-even-better/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There have been a few receivers who were great for 5-6 seasons, and garnered comparisons to Jerry Rice. But, what makes Jerry the greatest is his longevity. He did it at an All Pro level for over a decade.

AB might be the first guy that I've ever (EVER) said has a shot at coming close to Jerry's records (close... but, not even AB will pass Jerry).
    I don't know. AB's game isn't predicated on speed, although he's fast enough. Moreover, AB's only injury in the seven years he's played here was the concussion he suffered two years ago in the WC game. Put those two things together, and I think AB definitely has a short at enough longevity to threaten several of Rice's records. The real kicker will be . . . does AB get as lucky as Rice did after losing a franchise QB?

So, I got to thinking about this a little more and decided to do some digging.

Through each players first seven seasons: AB has played in 92 games and started 74. Rice played 108 and started 95. However, AB has ninety more receptions than Rice did after seven seasons (616-526). On the flip side, Rice had 9072 yards and AB has 8210 yards. Now, that being said, what is killing AB right now is his first three years. If you compare only the last three years of AB to similar stats for Rice you get the following. 64 starts for Rice, 61 starts for Brown. 326 receptions for Rice, 481 receptions for Brown. 5497 yards for Rice, 6315 yards for brown. 53 TDs for Rice, 43 for Brown. Looking ahead. Rice's numbers really fell off after his 12th year. Sure, he had three plus 1000 yards seasons, but in 1997, he had 78 yards (injury). Then, in 1999 and 2000, he had 930 and 805. It went even further downhill in 2003-2004.

So, what I take from this is that Brown is actually on pace to beat most of Rice's records. However, assuming this year will be another 1000 plus yard year, Brown will probably have to have eight more 1000 yard plus seasons plus three more 800 yard years. (I'm assuming a few of those will be 1200-1700 yard years to make up the difference).

With that said, since Brown isn't a speed receiver and he's had really good health this far, I do think it is possible. It is still unlikely at this point, but it is possible.

EDIT: Comparing the last three years of Rice to Brown, Brown beats Rice across every category except yards per catch and touchdowns. That's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So, I got to thinking about this a little more and decided to do some digging.

Through each players first seven seasons: AB has played in 92 games and started 74. Rice played 108 and started 95. However, AB has ninety more receptions than Rice did after seven seasons (616-526). On the flip side, Rice had 9072 yards and AB has 8210 yards. Now, that being said, what is killing AB right now is his first three years. If you compare only the last three years of AB to similar stats for Rice you get the following. 64 starts for Rice, 61 starts for Brown. 326 receptions for Rice, 481 receptions for Brown. 5497 yards for Rice, 6315 yards for brown. 53 TDs for Rice, 43 for Brown. Looking ahead. Rice's numbers really fell off after his 12th year. Sure, he had three plus 1000 yards seasons, but in 1997, he had 78 yards (injury). Then, in 1999 and 2000, he had 930 and 805. It went even further downhill in 2003-2004.

So, what I take from this is that Brown is actually on pace to beat most of Rice's records. However, assuming this year will be another 1000 plus yard year, Brown will probably have to have eight more 1000 yard plus seasons plus three more 800 yard years. (I'm assuming a few of those will be 1200-1700 yard years to make up the difference).

With that said, since Brown isn't a speed receiver and he's had really good health this far, I do think it is possible. It is still unlikely at this point, but it is possible.

EDIT: Comparing the last three years of Rice to Brown, Brown beats Rice across every category except yards per catch and touchdowns. That's pretty impressive.
    Great reaearch.

I remember this same conversation when Randy Moss was tearing it up. Then, I remember this same conversation when Larry Fitzgerald was on fire. And, yet again, when Megatron was at his peak. And now, the comparison is with AB.

1) The intersection of all of those discussions is... Jerry Rice.

2) Others have been on pace, but not made it.

3) I truly hope AB is the one to finally do it (it'd be great for the Steelers)... but, I still wouldn't bet against Jerry Rice.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Might be? Hmmm...Yeah, he just might be.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bottom line is that AB needs to do it till he's 40 to have a shot.

I do not think Brown can surpass Jerry Rice for the yards since it's almost impossible...It's like the record of points of Wayne Gretzky in the NHL.

But I believe Brown can surpass Terrell Owens for second place for the yards if he stays healthy.

Brown needs only 1,300 yards to have 10,000 career yards.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I don't know. AB's game isn't predicated on speed, although he's fast enough. Moreover, AB's only injury in the seven years he's played here was the concussion he suffered two years ago in the WC game. Put those two things together, and I think AB definitely has a short at enough longevity to threaten several of Rice's records. The real kicker will be . . . does AB get as lucky as Rice did after losing a franchise QB?
    I gotta agree. Your next post really broke down the #'s and the pace required for AB to surpass or even get withing shouting distance of Rice. But how can he do that if the QB falls off? I mean Rice basically had Montana then Steve Young and then the good version of Rich Gannon. That is a heck of a stretch.

What if AB gets Ben and then like 6 years of wandering in the QB wilderness?

You're right Moj. The QB factor has a lot to do with it.