Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting For Bryant To Get Going

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Waiting For Bryant To Get Going

He caught a break by the spotlight being on Bell not reporting, but the observations that Bryant is not yet back to what is expected are starting to increase

This from Ben last week

“I talked to him (Monday) and said, ‘No more rust. You've been here long enough. We have to have it all off,” Roethlisberger said. “We can't have any more ‘My bads, or, oh yeah, I forgot that. We've got to be ready to go full speed, and I need you at your best from the get-go.'

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ng-to-be-ready

And this from Gerry Dulac of the P-G in his chat today

One year away from football apparently generates a lot of rust and timing issues....
    Bryant, so far, looks NOTHING like the receiver we knows he is or can be. It's been that way since camp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201709130133

Will be interesting to see if Haley (or Ben on his on) go with something other than screen plays to try and get Bryant going

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Waiting For Bryant To Get Going

Yep everyone worried about Bell but Bryant has not look like anything special since his preseason games. All the hype about his training and the muscle he put on is not impressing.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

He probably has to learn how to play with a clear head. I'm not being facetious either. At one time I played A LOT of pool, I'm not saying I was a pro or anything like that, but I could hold my own

against 90% of the players I went up against. When I quit smoking cigarettes 15 years ago, I literally had to change my rhythm and mental approach completely. It took about a year to finally get

comfortable again. I was so used to being able to just pick a smoke when things got a little stressful and it would help calm me down, once that was gone though, it was tough. In the long run I was a

better player because of it, but it didn't come with out its growing pains.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Expecting him to be his old self at this point of the season is unfair. He missed all of camp and season last year and didn't practice until early August this year.

Patients.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Expecting him to be his old self at this point of the season is unfair. He missed all of camp and season last year and didn't practice until early August this year.

Patients.
    This

He will be fine in the midseason.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    He probably has to learn how to play with a clear head. I'm not being facetious either. At one time I played A LOT of pool, I'm not saying I was a pro or anything like that, but I could hold my own

against 90% of the players I went up against. When I quit smoking cigarettes 15 years ago, I literally had to change my rhythm and mental approach completely. It took about a year to finally get

comfortable again. I was so used to being able to just pick a smoke when things got a little stressful and it would help calm me down, once that was gone though, it was tough. In the long run I was a

better player because of it, but it didn't come with out its growing pains.
    No pro at pool either but am better then most around and the beer always help me to relax. Maybe he is just ordinary without weed to relax him.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyhow no more screens to him please and start throwing a few deep to him.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It'd be nice if JuJu could pick up the slack...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I believe he will, it may take him till week four or so though. He is a very young WR. That's why we may see Rogers more than JuJu for the time being in our 3 wide sets.

Hasn't showed much either.

- - - Updated - - -

At least we was smart enough to pay the next Jerry Rice.

Right now not impressed with Bryant or JUJU. Rogers looks good though and hard to see him coming off the field for JUJU. Mid season though both JUJU and Bryant should be very good. I hope.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

OR at least do something other than commit holding penalties

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Expectations on the offense are way too high. We have a group of starters that have not played together in YEARS, let alone MONTHS. They have not played together in preseason, or training camp.

Frankly, I expect the O to drop off a bit this year, while the Defense rises to stardom.

Sadly right now our wr core outside of Brown don't look any better then last year. Lot of that is on Haley though in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Expectations on the offense are way too high. We have a group of starters that have not played together in YEARS, let alone MONTHS. They have not played together in preseason, or training camp.

Frankly, I expect the O to drop off a bit this year, while the Defense rises to stardom.
    I expect the offense to be better in mid season, but for now, we have to be patient.

Our defense is going to be the unit that will help us to win games in the first half of the season and fortunately they will not face a lot of elite offense in the first half.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Sadly right now our wr core outside of Brown don't look any better then last year. Lot of that is on Haley though in my opinion.

They will be better, I have no doubt, just need to be patient.

- - - Updated - - -

Bell and Bryant will not be invisible for the whole season, this is impossible.

I'm sure they will and like I said Haley ain't helping them any.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I'm sure they will and like I said Haley ain't helping them any.

It was one of the worst games from Haley that I've seen since he's with us.

It will not happen to every game!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It was one of the worst games from Haley that I've seen since he's with us.

It will not happen to every game!
    Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Always great to come out with a win vs the Refs and Haley.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Patients.
    Exactly, once he gets his sea legs back, look-out!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Eli and The Outlaw are key here to help take the pressure off AB a little bit in the first few weeks. I think Bryant will take a few weeks to get in the form that he was in 2014-15. I am not expecting much from Juju this year because he's been battling injuries through preseason and that puts the rookies behind. Not that I think Juju can't step up.

I'm not too worried about Bell as he will get back into shape.

People are pissed about the first game but the Steelers are notorious for starting slow. It seems every year they start 2-2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I want to see more 2-3 vertical routes to consistently keep a deep threat. Bryant is the perfect WR to be one of those. He will draw a double even if not at 100%. If AB also draws double, #3 is wide open. If not, the run/flat is open. Keep moving the chains. We will dominate the redzone this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I want to see more 2-3 vertical routes to consistently keep a deep threat. Bryant is the perfect WR to be one of those. He will draw a double even if not at 100%. If AB also draws double, #3 is wide open. If not, the run/flat is open. Keep moving the chains. We will dominate the redzone this season.
    You'd be a better OC than Haley!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You'd be a better OC than Haley!
    Most Mondays thru Weds I am.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Interesting nugget from the Dulac transcript:

"14 teams, including the Steelers, had fewer than 300 yards offense. That's almost unheard of. And sacks were way up. Give Week 1 to the defense."
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Interesting nugget from the Dulac transcript:

"14 teams, including the Steelers, had fewer than 300 yards offense. That's almost unheard of. And sacks were way up. Give Week 1 to the defense."

To put it another way: Only one team averaged under 300 yards per game on offense a season ago. So roughly half the NFL in Week 1 resembled the 2016 Rams offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...efensive-trend

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To put it another way: Only one team averaged under 300 yards per game on offense a season ago. So roughly half the NFL in Week 1 resembled the 2016 Rams offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...efensive-trend
    It's only one week. Things are gonna return to "normal" over the course of the season. Wonder what the Week #1 stats are for the past 3 or 4 years?

I bet they are universally low. No one does preseason anymore.

Kind of like how in April and May a bunch of random dudes in baseball are hitting over 300 and jacking homers left and right. Then the pitchers get into a groove and suddenly those same dudes are batting the Mendoza line and haven't hit a ball out of the infield in forever.

Offense is so intricate and the guys don't play together much -- its gonna take several weeks to wind up the machine.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It's only one week. Things are gonna return to "normal" over the course of the season. Wonder what the Week #1 stats are for the past 3 or 4 years?

I bet they are universally low. No one does preseason anymore.
    We have a winner. Historic level of offensive ineptitude as it turns out: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9...fense-10-stats
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

We have a winner. Historic level of offensive ineptitude as it turns out: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9...fense-10-stats
    That is way worse than I thought!

Full disclosure, I actually thought that 2017 Week 1 would be about the same as say 204-1016 week one. BUt, boy HOWDY! Was I wrong about that!

Goodell will be in panic soon if this is a trend this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That is way worse than I thought!

Full disclosure, I actually thought that 2017 Week 1 would be about the same as say 204-1016 week one. BUt, boy HOWDY! Was I wrong about that!
    Im going to ride the "Bryant, Bell, and Mcdonald need time to gel" bus and feel a little better about it now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The comparisons to Randy Moss need to stop. He's never been close to Moss, who's arguably the most talented WR ever, nor will he ever be.

Hopefully he can regain his 2015 form.