Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: Browns are 'going to surprise a lot of people'

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben Roethlisberger: Browns are 'going to surprise a lot of people'

Ben Roethlisberger is the winningest quarterback in Cleveland since the franchise returned to the NFL in 1999, which makes him uniquely qualified to analyze a Browns roster that has changed forms so many times before Roethlisberger's eyes over the years.

So when he passes on some genuine praise, it should be taken with a certain amount of gravity.

"That team is going to surprise a lot of people," Roethlisberger said Wednesday, via Bleacher Report. "I'm glad we played them in Week 1."

The Browns still lost, 21-18, but seemed closer to matching strengths with a legitimate, playoff-bound NFL team than they have since the stunning 2014 first-place run under former head coach Mike Pettine. That year was the last time Cleveland beat the Steelers, winning a home game at FirstEnergy Stadium, 31-10.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Ben Roethlisberger: Browns are 'going to surprise a lot of people'

Yep I've felt this way since they hired Hue Jackson as HC. Only worry was if they would lose patients once again like they have with all the other coaches.

Hiring Greg Williams as defensive coordinator this offseason was an A+ move. Great draft which featured getting a QB who could be the future.

As usual with the Browns, time will tell.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

I felt during the off and pre-season that Cleveland may have taken a turn for the better. Last week showed promise. I'll let you know how I feel after the Ravens take them on at home Sunday. Which, if history shows, the Browns always play tough against Baltimore.

Truth be told, I'd rather see a good team in Cleveland vs. Cincinnati.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Browns are on the cusp of being pretty darn good.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Browns are on the cusp of being pretty darn good.
    I was kinda impressed with a young QB that a lot of us didn't think much of last year. Will be interesting to see if he can progress.

Cleveland has started out pretty good before and ended poorly.

AML

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They could win more games than Cincy.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd rather see the Browns at 9-7 than the Bengals or Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm already surprised. I don't think they put up 18 points all last season. They matched last seasons output in just one game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I was kinda impressed with a young QB that a lot of us didn't think much of last year. Will be interesting to see if he can progress.

Cleveland has started out pretty good before and ended poorly.
    The owner is affording Hue Jackson something that other HC's in Cleveland have never had: time.

Hue has had time to rebuild. Hue has had time to develop the young talent on the roster. Hue has had time to actually coach (as opposed to polishing up his resume).

With that, Hue now has the time to teach a young QB (with mad skills) how to actually play the game. And, IMO, Hue is a good teacher.

But... it's the Browns. The other shoe is bound to drop at any moment.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The owner is affording Hue Jackson something that other HC's in Cleveland have never had: time.

Hue has had time to rebuild. Hue has had time to develop the young talent on the roster. Hue has had time to actually coach (as opposed to polishing up his resume).

With that, Hue now has the time to teach a young QB (with mad skills) how to actually play the game. And, IMO, Hue is a good teacher.

But... it's the Browns. The other shoe is bound to drop at any moment.
    To be fair, he's only had 17 game as coach. It seems that he'll be given time..... but..... things change fast in Cleveland.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Johnny Football also looked good in one game against us and pretty much no other, so I wouldn't bet to high on that.But the Browns maybe get two or three wins this year. Especially with the Bengals looking horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Johnny Football also looked good in one game against us and pretty much no other, so I wouldn't bet to high on that.But the Browns maybe get two or three wins this year. Especially with the Bengals looking horrible.
    The difference is, Kizer looked good in fundamentals from what I remember. He wasn't on a hot streak of hitting high-risk, decent-reward plays.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I almost want the Browns to be relevant to ignite the rivalry between Cleveland and Pittsburgh... almost.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Let's see them against a team that isn't notorious for playing down to bad teams or notorious for starting off slow. They were in the game because of sloppy play and 13 penalties

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Browns went 1-15 last year.

There's nowhere for them to go but up. They'll be formidable years down the road, assuming they don't ruin Kizer.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

What's the over/under on their wins this year? My guess is 4.5, anyone willing to take the over on that?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    What's the over/under on their wins this year? My guess is 4.5, anyone willing to take the over on that?
    Looking at their schedule, I would not be shocked if they were 4-4 at their bye. Surprised a little, but not shocked.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I felt during the off and pre-season that Cleveland may have taken a turn for the better. Last week showed promise. I'll let you know how I feel after the Ravens take them on at home Sunday. Which, if history shows, the Browns always play tough against Baltimore.

Truth be told, I'd rather see a good team in Cleveland vs. Cincinnati.

Cleveland Fans deserve a better team ...Cincy does not. The story for the Browns has always been Patience. They hit tje reset button every 6 months.

But we all know that.

The Browns almost always play the Ravens tough.

11/10/16 Cle Bal A L 28-7
    09/18/16 Cle Bal H L 25-20
    11/30/15 Cle Bal H L 33-27
    10/11/15 Cle Bal A W 33-30, OT
    12/28/14 Cle Bal A L 20-10
    09/21/14 Cle Bal H L 23-21
    11/03/13 Cle Bal H W 24-18
    09/15/13 Cle Bal A L 14-6
    11/04/12 Cle Bal H L 25-15
    09/27/12 Cle Bal

Maybe, this season is when the Browns start eeking out wins over the Ravens.

The browns could have 2 top 10 pick this year with their pick and the pick of the Texans.

The Browns almost always play the Ravens tough.

11/10/16 Cle Bal A L 28-7
    09/18/16 Cle Bal H L 25-20
    11/30/15 Cle Bal H L 33-27
    10/11/15 Cle Bal A W 33-30, OT
    12/28/14 Cle Bal A L 20-10
    09/21/14 Cle Bal H L 23-21
    11/03/13 Cle Bal H W 24-18
    09/15/13 Cle Bal A L 14-6
    11/04/12 Cle Bal H L 25-15
    09/27/12 Cle Bal

Maybe, this season is when the Browns start eeking out wins over the Ravens.
    Funny, that almost looks like our scores against them. I wonder how many AFCN games are decided by a TD or less.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Funny, that almost looks like our scores against them. I wonder how many AFCN games are decided by a TD or less.
    Thats been a problem for the AFCN more than a couple of times. We would just kick the crap out of each other and the rest of the league would set back smiling.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Thats been a problem for the AFCN more than a couple of times. We would just kick the crap out of each other and the rest of the league would set back smiling.
    There was a stat (a few years ago) that suggested that the week after an AFC North matchup, the two teams were more likely to lose the following week (because, they were so beaten up).

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

There was a stat (a few years ago) that suggested that the week after an AFC North matchup, the two teams were more likely to lose the following week (because, they were so beaten up).
    I believe that. I know that even when the Browns totally suck (not "normal" suck, but totally suck), they still play a tough game against the Ravens. AFCN football is normally a hard-fought contest. Last week's Steelers-Browns showed that. Ravens-Cincy did not lol. But they look bad this year. Looked hideous against the Texans last night.

As a division rival, I don't want them to challenge for a division title. As a football fan for decades, I wouldn't mind seeing Cleveland depart the basement and become a contender. Especially if they swap positions with the Bungles.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I believe that. I know that even when the Browns totally suck (not "normal" suck, but totally suck), they still play a tough game against the Ravens. AFCN football is normally a hard-fought contest. Last week's Steelers-Browns showed that. Ravens-Cincy did not lol. But they look bad this year. Looked hideous against the Texans last night.

As a division rival, I don't want them to challenge for a division title. As a football fan for decades, I wouldn't mind seeing Cleveland depart the basement and become a contender. Especially if they swap positions with the Bungles.
    Andy Dalton is the NFL's equivalent of the Mendoza line.

re: Browns vs. Bengals
    Right on. I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns competitive. Great fans, historic franchise. Whereas, I despise almost everything about the Bengals... with Vontaze Burfict being a metaphor for that franchise.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Based on last night's snoozer I'm betting on the Browns against the Bungles.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Cleveland fans deserve a contending team. Cincinnati fans don't deserve shit.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bengals fire their OC today...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bengals fire their OC today...lol

I'm not surprised!