Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

For a game in which the Pittsburgh Steelers won, it does not appear that many people are all too happy with the specifics of how things went down. But there was at least the bright spot of a solid debut performance for rookie first-round draft pick T.J. Watt, who put together a nice stat sheet for himself.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...k-1-int-debut/

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: T.J. Shows Steelers Watt He Can Do In 2-Sack, 1-INT Debut

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dude dominated

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

The kid is the real deal !
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is it safe to say that today was the floor, and TJ's ceiling is still a season or two away.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Dong sacks!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Like I said a long time ago, forget this "If TJ is 50% of JJ" crap. He may not reach 100% but he's his own player and I think the potential is there to get close to JJ.

I'll repeat what I said in a thread last week. He's a rookies, so if has a bad day I won't get too down on him because he has a lot to learn. If he has a great day I won't crown him, I still remember Kendrell Bell too well.

Getting more specific about his game today, while I'm not the "dong sack" guy (that still cracks me up), his sacks weren't impressive. It's what I expect a good, veteran NFL player to do. And that's the part that excites me. He showed good awareness, hustle, and a motor that kept turning. To see a rookie making plays I expect good veterans to make is nice. I also saw him get swallowed up a few times by OTs, but that'll happen to everyone, and as I keep saying, it'll keep happening to him until he fills out his frame with a couple more years in the weight room.

What did impress me the most was his athleticism and soft hands with the interception. It really shouldn't as he was a former TE, but to see him climb the latter and snag the ball out of the air the way he did, then have the presence of mind to remember in the NFL, the play wasn't over until he was touched was a thing of beauty.

On a veteran scale, I'd give him an A- for today (I just can't give him more until he gets better at fighting off tackles). But on a rookie scale, he gets an A+ for today's game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Like I said a long time ago, forget this "If TJ is 50% of JJ" crap. He may not reach 100% but he's his own player and I think the potential is there to get close to JJ.
    Or, said in a different way, TJ is his own man, and I'm looking forward to seeing what that means for him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Dong sacks!

T J Wattadong......

What about Chikiladong with 2 sacks as well and 6 tackles?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    T J Wattadong......

What about Chikiladong with 2 sacks as well and 6 tackles?
    Those were Chick sacks...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

When TJ ends up with 15 sacks, there will be several posters who find a way to minimize each one throughout the season. Does anybody remember how long it's been since a Steeler put up double-digit sacks?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

When TJ ends up with 15 sacks, there will be several posters who find a way to minimize each one throughout the season. Does anybody remember how long it's been since a Steeler put up double-digit sacks?
    2010 Harrison (10.5) and Woodley (10)

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Exactly.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

But Woodley was fat and all he did was get dong sacks.

But Woodley was fat and all he did was get dong sacks.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I always find it amusing when people try to downplay how a guy got his sacks.

Jarvis Jones had how many of these "hustle" sacks in 4 years here? If they were that easy to get, he probably would have gotten a few more sacks...don't you think?

There is a reason that certain guys just find a way on the field. It's quickness, instincts, relentlessness, and just a feel for the game. Not everyone can do it, or they would be.

Let's also not forget that he did this going up against Joe Thomas....not the 3rd string RT that was playing LT because everyone else on the team got hurt. This was Joe Freaking Thomas.

Is Watt going to do this every week? Of course not. Nobody can keep up that pace. But someone shouldn't minimize what he did because they want to try to justify what they thought about him before he was drafted. Give the guy the credit that he has earned.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

^^^ Awareness and quickness

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Let's also not forget that he did this going up against Joe Thomas....not the 3rd string RT that was playing LT because everyone else on the team got hurt. This was Joe Freaking Thomas.
    Yeah how many sacks does Thomas give up in an entire year?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I always find it amusing when people try to downplay how a guy got his sacks.

Jarvis Jones had how many of these "hustle" sacks in 4 years here? If they were that easy to get, he probably would have gotten a few more sacks...don't you think?

There is a reason that certain guys just find a way on the field. It's quickness, instincts, relentlessness, and just a feel for the game. Not everyone can do it, or they would be.

Is Watt going to do this every week? Of course not. Nobody can keep up that pace. But someone shouldn't minimize what he did because they want to try to justify what they thought about him before he was drafted. Give the guy the credit that he has earned.
    Agreed. No one seems to care how Von Miller gets his sacks, where quite a few of them are coverage/hustle sacks because of how good their secondary is. A sack is a sack people. I'll take all of them.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Agreed. No one seems to care how Von Miller gets his sacks, where quite a few of them are coverage/hustle sacks because of how good their secondary is. A sack is a sack people. I'll take all of them.
    Vong sacks

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Vong sacks
    Vong sacks!!!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Vong sacks
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Yes, I remember that play and it impressed me on a few counts:

1- Watt has the quickness and speed to get upfield, so that an all pro like JT has to really break down and loose his base, while turning his shoulders.
    2- Watt's spin is clumsy, but he still shows the change of direction that Thomas cannot match and ends up almost lunging on the counter. JT isn't balanced and his nose is over his toes.
    3- Watt uses his hands well to get JT hands off him and start the spin, but when Watt improves and actually gets his torso closer to the OT to perform a spin move, it can be flat out sick.

Still, the fact that Watt has a speed rush and a count to it already makes him better than Jones ever was. JJ was mostly just a guy with a bull rush, because he wasn't quick enough to get the edge.
    Watch the spin move of Charles Harris here and you see what I mean. He is closer to the OT than the distance Watt is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    But how much are you willing to pay a player if he collects 12 unblocked sacks? The Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones based on sacks, not how he got the sacks. Even Harrison has gone in untouched, but we can all tell by the tape he earns most of his sacks. Harrison would have twice as many if he wasn't held and tackled to much : )
    It all evens out over the course of a season. There will always be some easy ones. You don't base a player's salary on just sacks anyway. That's just one measurement of many.

I don't think there is a pass rusher in the NFL right now with Miller's quickness off the edge, ability to swat the OT hands off him and bend around the edge to get to the pocket. Sure he may get some hustling too, but nobody can run a short arc like that in the nfl.

I'm a fan of Lamarr Woodley and honestly the year he got 10, I bet at least 4 of them were due to the fact that opposing teams had a FB or TE on him that was just a mismatch. At his prime, Woodley was 265 LBS at least, but athletic for a big guy and used his hands, but he had some inflated sack totals because some teams were just dumb to think a 230LB FB could block him in the pass game.

I don't think there is a pass rusher in the NFL right now with Miller's quickness off the edge, ability to swat the OT hands off him and bend around the edge to get to the pocket. Sure he may get some hustling too, but nobody can run a short arc like that in the nfl.
    My post wasn't a knock on Miller. I simply used his name because he's the best.

My post wasn't a knock on Miller. I simply used his name because he's the best.
    I know. My post was highlighting that he is the best and people recognize that by watching, so if he gets one on a coverage sack, its not going to change anybodys opinion of him.

Conversely, I remember all the Jarvis Jones supporters saying "a sack is a sack.....why don't you guys give Jarvis any credit?" when he got one on this whiff by CJ Spiller.

Watt has quickness, good hand skills and hustle. (plus a crude spin move), but isn't a polished pass rusher by any means. Kizer held onto the football a bit too long yesterday and somebody like Eli Manning would have taken less sacks because he throws the football away more. Still, Watt showed that you cant hold onto the ball that long when he is rushing and he will only get better IMO.

It all evens out over the course of a season. There will always be some easy ones. You don't base a player's salary on just sacks anyway. That's just one measurement of many.
    You mean TD catches count even if you're wide open???

You mean TD catches count even if you're wide open???
    LOL, only to some people apparently. We just need a "degree of difficulty" rating on every stat. Scale of 1-10. Anything under a 3 doesn't count.