Thread: Behind Enemy Lines (by JonM229 - September 16, 2010)

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Behind Enemy Lines (by JonM229 - September 16, 2010)

First, I would like to acknowledge the fact that I am a Ravens fan. I was born and raised just outside of Baltimore. And while I may not even live near the state of Maryland anymore, I will always cheer for the Purple and Black. As a Ravens fan, it is demanded of me to hate the Steelers. While the Colts and Patriots may have the most popular rivalry going these days, the Steelers and Ravens certainly have the most intense rivalry in the NFL.

There is definitely a great deal of hostility not just between the teams themselves, but also between the teams’ fan-base. From the games I’ve been able to attend, I don’t think I’ve seen as many fights as when the Steelers are in town. They say familiarity breeds contempt, and that’s true for any division rival. I’m sure Steelers’ fans hate the Browns and Bengals as much as I do. Although having been born several months after the Colts moved (don’t you feel old now?) I can say that I hate the Steelers the most. However, I also respect them the most as well.

But how did this animosity come about? Many fans in Baltimore were left without a team once the Colts skipped town. They’d be damned if they were going to root for the Eagles or Redskins, so they began rooting for the next closest team: the Steelers. These (foolish) people continued to do so once the Browns relocated to Baltimore as the Ravens. And let’s not forget that the Steelers were one of only two teams (the Bills being the other) to vote against the Browns’ relocation. Many Ravens fans took this personally.

Fortunately, the NFL kept the Ravens in the same division as the Steelers. This means two games per season of defense-first, smash-mouth football (my favorite kind). More often than not, these games tend to decide who earns the division title. Unfortunately, the majority of these games have been won by the Steelers. I’ve never thrown anything while watching football until a certain Monday night game several years ago. If I remember correctly, James Harrison made every single tackle in that game.

For years Steelers’ fans have had a moral superiority over the AFC North. The Ravens have employed an acquitted murderer, a convicted drug dealer, and an alleged wife-beater. The Bengals entire roster has been in jail at one point in time. And nobody cares about the Browns, so they don’t count. The Steelers have been squeaky clean until this past offseason, and I’ve loved every minute of it. A star wideout traded for next to nothing and a top 5 quarterback suspended for four games would make any Ravens fan happy. Does a Week 4 win mean less in the grand scheme of things? Probably. Do I care? Absolutely not.

© 2010 Steelers Universe

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Behind Enemy Lines (by JonM229 - September 16, 2010)

Awesome stuff. Well said coming from a fan of what has become our most hated team. I love the Steelers/Ravens rivalry. It's what a rivalry should be.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Good editorial, Jon! We hate you too!

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Great piece of writing, Jon!

I can't believe I'm saying that to a . . . gulp . . . choke . . . cough . . . Rats fan!

I, too, love the rivalry between the 2 teams AND the fans!

That being said . . .

The Ravens SUCK and GO STEELERS!

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

I can't believe I'm saying that to a . . . gulp . . . choke . . . cough . . . Rats fan!

That being said . . .

Well said, HTG. Well said.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBus View Post
    Yea what he said LOL

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I did not know the steelers voted against the browns moving to Baltimore, I didnt even know there was a vote about it. I just thought they up and moved or whatever. Being this was in the mid 90s I was only like 6 or 7 at the time so I guess thats why I didnt know about this.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBus View Post
    Nice job, Jon!

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Not bad for a Baltimore education. But two things:
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    And let’s not forget that the Steelers were one of only two teams (the Bills being the other) to vote against the Browns’ relocation. Many Ravens fans took this personally.
    Considering the history there, I don't think the Ravens fans have much right to be pissed about the vote. The Rooney's and Art Modell had a lot to do with the success of the AFL and by extension, the NFL. You guys shouldn't be at all surprised by how they voted. I'm actually shocked there were only two teams who voted that way.

Unfortunately, the majority of these games have been won by the Steelers.
    I'm sorry, but I believe you meant to say, "Not surprisingly."

Here's your cookie fatboy

Freakin Amazing! Array title="JonM229 will become famous soon enough"> JonM229's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
    Here's your cookie fatboy
    Thanks, that'll go nicely with my $10

Freakin Amazing! Array title="JonM229 will become famous soon enough"> JonM229's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

That being said . . .

Way to steal the opposite of my original article

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
    Thanks, that'll go nicely with my $10
    $9.00 ass wipe. Remember, 10% is mine for bringing your ass in off the streets.

FYI - I posted this link on the Ravens board I'm a part of so watch out for trolling.

Thanks Warden for bringing that to my attention.

FYI - I posted this link on the Ravens board I'm a part of so watch out for trolling.

Thanks Warden for bringing that to my attention.
    *shakes head*

Actually, I'm not too worried about any of those folks.

Actually, I'm not too worried about any of those folks.
    True, they're a bunch of n00bs

True, they're a bunch of n00bs
    Actually, I was going to give them credit for being pretty decent folks.....as far as purple faggots go. lol

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Actually, I was going to give them credit for being pretty decent folks.....as far as purple faggots go. lol
    Last edited by Galax Steeler; 09-17-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Yeah, well done, Jon! Too bad both you and your team both suck big, fat, purple donkey balls!

Quote Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post

Oh look, here comes one of them now.

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Let me add some light to your article, being raised in MD (45 minutes outside of Baltimore) in a time period when the colts couldn't fill Municiple Stadium and Redskins Fan made RFK rock.

I wasn't originally a colts fan (don't you feel young now). I laughed when they moved the team out, only because the team was more like the bucs use to be and currently are in regards to tickets. Walk up on game day and you're certain to find some at the ticket office (except when the Steelers are in town). I digress. I was blessed to watch the Steelers, and when the colts moved out of town it made it easier to get the Steelers on local television.

When the browns moved in to town, I personally thought the city of Cleveland got screwed because unlike colts fans, they supported the team, sold out, until the owner sold the fans out. That's why Rooney voted against the move.

It's a great article none-the-less, and I'm certain I probably gave TMI but if it makes you feel better - On GAME DAY I hate the ratbirds and their fans, but afterwards I'll gladly have a beer with you, talk some football, shake your hand, and call it a day (win or lose to you bastiches)!

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Nice article Jon. Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
    Can we MAKE Jon use this as his avatar? We could call it an award for his writing skills.?.?

Can we MAKE Jon use this as his avatar? We could call it an award for his writing skills.?.?
    I second that.LOL

Senior Member Array title="Akagi is an unknown quantity at this point">

But how did this animosity come about?
    BECAUSE YOU'RE THE FREAKIN' BROWNS.

You think it's easy, having to hate the Browns TWICE? It isn't. We have to hate the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Raiders, the Browns, AND THEN THE FREAKIN' BROWNS AGAIN. Not that we can't do it, we can. But it's pretty effin' moronic that we have to. It's like the Browns got cloned, and the hate should have split in two and been dissipated equally between the two teams, but it didn't; it's just as intense, but now double.

I love Steelers/Ravens(Browns) just as much as I loved Steelers/Raiders in the '70s. Absolutely the best games of the year. They are what NFL football is all about, the game would be a lot less fun without you guys.

Welcome!