Thread: If you have a website, put the following code into it

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

If you have a website, put the following code into it

<a href="http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/forum.php">Steelers Message Board</a>

Just copy and paste that code into whatever pages you can...Google's algorithms work in part by using automatic web crawlers to find links and associate them with the text. So the more this particular snippet of code is out there, the more Google will associate our new site with the term "Steelers Message Board".

That's how the French Military Victories worked, as well as the George W. Bush "Miserable Failure" bit.

Mods--feel free to move this to another area of the site if you think it would be more effective.

SteelerSal
    Not to sound stupid.. is that the same as a link exchange?

Dunno what a link exchange is.

I'm just suggesting a way to get Google to notice Steel Universe. If you have an old Angelfire or Lycos or whatever page, and you post that exact code, it'll tell Google that this board is a Steelers message board. The more places it sees the same thing, the stronger that association will be.

SteelerSal
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Dunno what a link exchange is.

I'm just suggesting a way to get Google to notice Steel Universe. If you have an old Angelfire or Lycos or whatever page, and you post that exact code, it'll tell Google that this board is a Steelers message board. The more places it sees the same thing, the stronger that association will be.
    I'll look into it. I already did a link exchange.

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Not to sound stupid.. is that the same as a link exchange?
    Close. An exchange would be if the site put yours up as well. This is more of a backlink! It will increase the sites ranking (popularity) with Google, Yahoo and Bing.

SteelerSal
    Quote Originally Posted by solardave View Post
    Close. An exchange would be if the site put yours up as well. This is more of a backlink! It will increase the sites ranking (popularity) with Google, Yahoo and Bing.
    Where do I put that code?

Mods might want to move this topic....sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Where do I put that code?

Mods might want to move this topic....sorry.
    If you have a personal website or a blog, you can put it there. If not, don't worry...there's enough of us out there to get it done. It took less than 50 wiseguys to pull off the Miserable Failure googlebomb.

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

Not to sound stupid but is twitter considered a blog? lol
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Here's a question that MAY be really stupid... or may be a great way to work the system.

What if, we ALL put that link in our signatures on THIS site? Does the web crawler recognize the links are actually on the site referenced? If it doesn't take that into account, we can jack up the association by 4000-6000 hits or instances or whatever it is.
    Good question.........answer?????????

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

I dunno. I think there's also a certain quality to a word of mouth site rising to the top without folks pimping it left and right.
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Here's a question that MAY be really stupid... or may be a great way to work the system.

What if, we ALL put that link in our signatures on THIS site? Does the web crawler recognize the links are actually on the site referenced? If it doesn't take that into account, we can jack up the association by 4000-6000 hits or instances or whatever it is.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work. They only count links from outside. Also, Twitter links don't work anymore -- Twitter automatically puts a "nofollow" tag on all links so they carry roughly zero weight with Google. They basically bent over and did that because Google asked them to, because the volume of links on Twitter pretty much dwarfs most other things out there.

The basic premise is correct, though -- about 70% of your Google ranking is based on how many links are incoming. You get bonus points for certain keywords if they're actually in the text of the link (for example, if the link said "click here for steeluniverse.net" it would count a lot less than "Steelers Fan Forums" if you were trying to get ranked on keywords including "Steelers"). Also, the size/relevance of a site linking back to us makes a difference -- so, getting a link from another Steelers site, or getting mentioned on a big news site, would count for more than some random guy's blog about celery. You can get a good idea of how important a page is by downloading the Google toolbar and looking at the "PageRank" it gives you for each site at the top.

Also, for the first 1-3 months of a site's existence, it gets put in something called the "Google Sandbox," which basically means it's prohibited from ranking too high, period. They did this largely to stop "Google bombs" like the George Bush failure trick, and there's really nothing you can do to get out of the sandbox except wait for a couple months to pass. Basically, they want to keep spammers from using dirty tricks to steal the top ranking for a few days, so they make you build it over time.

It's too bad they banned this site's name on steelersfever.com, because going back and putting links to here in our sigs on THATsite would've helped us, not to mention being ironic.

But bottom line ... if you have a blog, know someone with a blog, know someone with a site, etc. -- have them link to us. Wouldn't HURT to mention us on Twitter or Facebook either, because who knows who might see it, and eventually those mentions might turn into a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Prok View Post
    I dunno. I think there's also a certain quality to a word of mouth site rising to the top without folks pimping it left and right.
    True, but the other side of it is, the higher site ranking we get, the more revenue we can start to generate for FS, HTG, and X-Term. Whether they invest it back here on the site, or pocket it I don't care. I want to see the three of them succeed here.

EDIT: Actually, I do care. I think it would be GREAT if they can turn this site into something that provides them with some good, stable extra income. They sure as anything deserve it for the effort put out.

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Good question.........answer?????????

That is a good question. The search engines (especially google) are constantly changing. They are trying hard to become like humans visitors. So having said that links need to be relevant to be seem as important to them. Even though a link on this site would be relevant it is not a backlink because you can't link back to your site from your site (I'm pretty sure). I hope this makes sense and it is just MHO.

Senior Member Array title="TatarMongol is an unknown quantity at this point"> TatarMongol's Avatar

it'll b on my youtube 4 while.